October 23, 2014 / 29 Tishri, 5775
Meir Panim with Soldiers 5774 Roundup: Year of Relief and Service for Israel’s Needy

Meir Panim implements programs that serve Israel’s neediest populations with respect and dignity. Meir Panim also coordinated care packages for families in the South during the Gaza War.

Home » InDepth » Op-Eds »

I Am Haredi

Rabbi Yaakov Rosenblatt

Rabbi Yaakov Rosenblatt

Indeed, I am haredi. I am haredi circa 1970, my father’s generation. Then, yeshiva students wrote, spoke and thought in English. They dressed in color. Frum men went to college to train for a means to make a living. People were pashut in their hashkafa and sincere in their avodah. They would enact chumras when advised but did not see stringency as a path to purity. They had a closer relationship to secular Jews because of their secular first cousins and to non-Jews because they lived in mixed neighborhoods. Their motivation was to build a frum infrastructure for the next generation where observance would be easier and Yiddishkeit would be the natural choice. They were not motivated to get their kids into “the best” school and their kids married off to “the best” shidduchim.

They were American haredim. And I am an American haredi. I pray that my children will be haredim like my father. And I pray, fervently, that they maintain, live and promote the haredi values he promoted: fealty to Torah, reverence of Torah leaders, and a lifelong commitment to the Jewish people. All in a very simple and very straightforward American way.

The author of two books, Yaakov Rosenblatt tends the flock both literally and figuratively, as CEO of AD Rosenblatt Kosher Meats and a rabbi at NCSY-Dallas.

About the Author: Yaakov Rosenblatt, the author of two books, is a rabbi and businessman in Dallas.

29 Responses to “I Am Haredi”

1. In the 1970's these people were not called "Hareidim". So if that's who you are emulating then indeed you are NOT Hareidi. American Jews like you have adopted Israel's Hareidi label but not their ideology. In fact, in Israel, people like you would be chewed up and spit out by the "real" Hareidim.

What you are, if you need to label it, is far closer to Rav Soloveitchik's ideal of modern orthodoxy.

2. I am going to have go with Michael on this.

You sound like a good, nay, great Jew who I would be happy to meet and converse with, but charedi… in no way. Charedi is an Israeli concept for a wide group of people, but almost all of whom would reject you. Rav Shach z”l would have rejected you. Rav Elyashiv z”l would have rejected you.

But why quibble about labels? I have no idea what label works for me, either, the child of lithuanian rabbis on one side, chassideshe rebbe's on the other, live in Israel, studied engineering and Talmud in Machon Lev, served in the IDF, and now work full time but have a regular chavrusa.

We need to stop worrying about simplistic labels and focus on core values. The world is not, nor ever was, black and white. The simplistic approach of trying to define people by these labels diverts us from the core problems that beset us: intermarriage and assimilation on one side, extremism, intolerance and abhorrent behavior on the other… the list goes on and on.

BTW: If you would add Israel to your set of values, you would be perfect ;-).

3. Yonah Fuld says:

The majority of people who call themselves by that name shirk their real responsibility to klal yisrael on this side of the ocean. I wouldn't be proud to be part of that.

4. Yaakov, in my opinion, you are not Haredi.

This is a very well written and thoughtful article! One major thing you left out, though, in weighing whether you are haredi, is your attitude towards women– their public roles within the community, their private roles within the home, their access to serious talmud Torah and other avenues of spiritual fulfillment, etc. Another thing is Israel– how do you feel about the State and its leadership, etc. Those 2 points are crucial ones that set haredim apart from many other Jews today. If we want to know whether you are, in fact, haredi, I think you must address these issues, as well.

6. Janina Wilen Madoff says:

Dear Rabbi Rosenblatt; that was wonderful; but whom are you addressing?

7. Abigail Strubel says:

Why not?

8. Yitzchak Bukingolts says:

I am loud and proud! I would concentrate more on the secular people shirking their responsibility to torah study before I condemn those who dedicate their lives to it!

9. Shella Sadovnik says:

Rabbi Rosenblatt,
    That was a beautiful article but you are not charedi. You're Modern Orthodox, the only sustainable future for Judaism.

10. Matty Lichtenstein says:

He's out of town haredi. Also, in terms of sustainability, haredim are doing just fine according to the Federation report. Growing by leaps and bounds.

11. Yonah Fuld says:

Secular people don't know any better. Large percentages of so-called chareidim walking the streets at 11 a m and hiding behind toratam umnatam is a chilul Hashem for which there is no excuse and we know better. Their rashei yesivot who register them regularly for $ and other sordid reasons also know what midvar sheker tirchak means. Milchemet mitva and chatam mechupato and on and on-these are scoundrels hiding behind relligious garb and nothing more.

12. It is interesting that he seems to define himself as Chareidi mainly because of where he went to school and by the clothing he wears (first paragraph).

13. Abigail Strubel says:

Isn't that how most people define charedim? How they look, where they learned.

14. Abigail Strubel says:

Isn't that how most people define charedim? How they look, where they learned. It's not about personality or character anymore.

15. I''m a haredi too !

16. "And I respond with disgust when some of my coreligionists defend observant Jews who knowingly bend the rules and break the law, bringing dishonor to our camp and disrepute to our mission." This is very vague.

17. Yaffed says:

He is Haredi in the true sense! We wish there were more like him!

18. Try reading the newspapers!

19. Shifra Apter Herzberg says:

Aside from the matter of dress, I know a fair number of New York chareidim who would agree with everything else he wrote.

20. Give it up, Shella. You are outnumbered! :-)

21. Roc Diaz says:

I don't say that I rush to do every mitzva, but I love and fear Hashem, and I have an overwhelming desire to live in this land more than anything else. I am terrified of going after my bodily desires and forsaking the One Who is always watching. I fall down sometimes and mess up, but I get up again, ask for forgiveness, and start over. I would say, even though I don't dress the part. I don't follow all of the minhuggim, I'm a working stiff, and I need to improve greatly and learn more, yes I am haredi and I thank Hashem for it!

22. Roc Diaz says:

P.S.most importantly, I would go to the end to help my fellow jew to protect him from harm.

23. Hersh Starck says:

If anybody really wants to know if they are Chareidi, I recommend to check out the official handbook: One Above and Seven Below: A Consumer's Guide to Orthodox Judaism from the Perspective of the Charedim by Yechezkel Hirshman.

Read Chapter 9 first!

Properly defined, today's Chareidi is yesterday's chareidi. There is no "Circa 1970" chareidi.

24. Gershon Seif says:

To the author I ask; why is it important to you to have a label? How about just being a good, solid religious Jew?

You wrote of having fealty towards Torah Authority. But to be a chareidi, whose authority are we talking about? Being Chareidi means accepting "Da'as Torah" and for reasons not 100% clear to all, these days Da'as Torah halachic rulings and guidance in life in America must come from a short list of Gedolim in Israel who Gedolim in America look to before they make any major decisions. And those Gedolim in Israel would disagree with many of the things in your self description.

In your father's time, it wasn't so. American Gedolim were the leaders in America who allowed, or turned a blind eye toward college and many of the other things you described. It seems the American Gedolim feel they are not on the level of the Gedolim in Israel. As a result of this shift, the culture of the Chareidi world in Israel is now the new standard of being a Chareidi in America.

You would need to convince the Chareidi leaders in America to be bold and be prepared to not promote Israeli Charedi standards, in order to behave as your father did in 1970 and still be considered a chareidi. I'm not sure there are that many leaders who are prepared to do that.

In the meantime, you may have the right color yarmulka, you may even do the daf and daven in Agudah shul but you just don't fit the chareidi bill. Some would call you a Chareidi Lite. You OK with that?

25. Dear Rabbi,
    very beautiful article! But if you are truly Haredi why then do you feel the need to add "American" haredi? why isn't being a haredi or just Jewish enough?
    Why do jews always feel the need to call themselves American first and for most?
    The jewish pride is to be able to say I am a Jew! Not an american jew…
    But shcoyach on the beautiful aritcle! I wish all haredim thought like you!

26. Abigail Strubel says:

Arnold, you've been spammed

Canadian policeman at scene of terrorist attack in Ottawa on Wednesday.
Terror: US Pledges Support for Canada but Tells Israel to Stay Calm
Keeping-Jerusalem

Judea and Samaria (Yesha) have been governed by the IDF and not officially under Israeli sovereignty

n past decades, Oman has struck a diplomatic balance between Saudi Arabia, the West, and Iran.

The Jewish Press endorses the reelection of Gov. Andrew Cuomo. His record as governor these past four years offers eloquent testimony to the experience and vision he has to lead the Empire State for the next four years.

I think Seth Lipsky is amazing, but it just drives home the point that newspapers have a lot of moving parts.

While not all criticism of Israel stemmed from anti-Semitism, Podhoretz contends the level of animosity towards Israel rises exponentially the farther left one moved along the spectrum.

Myth #1: It is easy to be a B’nai Noach. It is extraordinarily hard to be a B’nai Noach.

The question of anti-Semitism in Europe today is truly tied to the issue of immigration.

Polls indicate that the Palestinians are much more against a two state solution than the Israelis.

Turkey and Iran the 2 regional powers surrounding the ISIS conflict gain from a partial ISIS victory

Emigration from Israel is at an all-time low, far lower than immigration to Israel from Europe.

Leon Klinghoffer’s daughters: “‘Klinghoffer’ is justified as ‘a work of art’…This is an outrage.”

Do you seriously think that as you kidnap our children we should medically treat and help yours?

Sometimes collective action against the heinous acts of the majority is not enough. The world should not only support the blockade of Gaza; it must enforce the dismantling of Hamas.

The Arab Spring has challenged Jordan with the task of gradual reform with regard to its monarchy.

More Articles from Rabbi Yaakov Rosenblatt
F110716MT01

The words over the yeshiva’s main doors used to be in English.

Rosenblatt-020813

I recently purchased a Glock 19. It is my first Glock but second firearm. My first is a slim, black pocket pistol, a Ruger LC9, which we keep in our safe. I practice shooting from time to time and trained for a Concealed Handgun License (CHL) as well.

I wouldn’t be writing these words had your most recent video not been framed in biblical language. Its title held deep significance to me, as I am sure was your intention…

Many people have a problem with the Chick-fil-A chain of chicken restaurants. Universities have asked it to leave campus cafeterias and mayors have tried to ban it from their cities. The Jewish mayor of Chicago summed up his displeasure by saying “Chick-fil-A values are not Chicago values.”

I am haredi. I was born in Brooklyn, went to mainstream haredi elementary and high schools, spent two years in Mir Yerushalayim and attended kollel at Beth Medrash Govoha in Lakewood, New Jersey. I wear a black hat on Shabbos and dark pants and a white shirt much of the week. My yarmulke is large, black and velvet, and being a frum and inspired Jew is my most basic self-definition, on par with being human and male.

“The Scream,” a unique and evocative painting by Norwegian artist Edvard Munch (1863-1944), sold recently at Sotheby’s for nearly $120,000,000. The price was attributed to its being the last of four editions still in private hands and the fact that it has been an icon of Western culture for over a century. The colors are vivid, the mood is stark, and the being on the bridge is overwhelmed by his surroundings. It captures a man alone in a world awry.

Tonight I installed an Internet filter. I have always disliked filters as they slow down my computer and have been an annoyance. But the asifa at Citi Field focused my attention and an extra safeguard is worth infinitely more than the discomfort it engenders.

Half a year after our marriage in 1997, my parents called and said they couldn’t attend the Agudath Israel of America convention and had extra tickets. Would my wife and I want to go in their place? We were newlyweds in every sense of the word and cherished the opportunity of a new experience. “Certainly,” we said and made the trek from Lakewood to Parsippany in the state of New Jersey.

Printed from: http://www.jewishpress.com/indepth/opinions/i-am-haredi/2012/08/01/