April 18, 2014 / 18 Nisan, 5774
News & Views
Spa 1.2 Combining Modern Living in Traditional Jerusalem

A unique and prestigious residential project in now being built in Mekor Haim Street in Jerusalem.

Film of Israeli Rape Victim Who Became Miss World, at AFI

Tied up and raped at knifepoint, Linor Abargil was able to escape, to press charges, to find other victims of the same rapist, and make a documentary about how to speak out. Oh, and she was crowned "Miss World" just seven weeks after being raped.

Just weeks before Linor Abargil became Miss World, the Israeli fashion model was brutally raped. A movie about her story, Brave Miss World, will be shown June 21 and 22 in the 2013 AFI Docs Film Festival in D.C.
Photo Credit: screen capture from Brave Miss World

Share Button

“It’s like losing a daughter,” her mother admitted. “But better than alcohol, anorexia, bulimia, or so many other crises that can happen to victims.”

The producer and director of the film, Cecilia Peck, is the daughter of legendary film actor Gregory Peck.  In an interview about this film, Peck said of her father that  “he managed to make films about important issues that were controversial, like anti-Semitism in Gentleman’s Agreement,’ and he dealt with racism in ‘To Kill a Mockingbird.’ So, you know, I’m really grateful for that legacy that I come from, and trying in my own way—could never live up, but—to do stories that count.”

Peck has made a career of producing and directing films about people who act on the strength of their convictions.  She produced and directed the award-winning “Shut Up and Sing,” in addition to “Brave Miss World” and other documentaries, including one about her famous father.

Abargil has retired from modeling, and as an observant Jew no longer sings in public, but is still involved with making music, as is shown in the film.  She recently graduated from law school, passed the bar exam with honors, and now practices law full time, in addition to continuing with her advocacy on behalf of rape victims.

Later this week “Brave Miss World” will be shown as part of the prestigious American Film Institute’s Documentary Film Series, which is taking place in Washington, D.C. “Brave Miss World” is one of only 53 featured documentaries chosen from nearly 2000 submissions for the Film Series.  The AFI Docs series runs from June 19 – 23, in Washington, D.C.

“Brave Miss World” will be shown on Friday June 21 at 2:15 p.m. at the National Portrait Gallery, and on Saturday, June 22nd, at 7:30 p.m., at the Silver Theatre, in Silver Spring.  Tickets can be purchased through the link on the film’s Facebook page.

When asked about what is next for “Brave Miss World,” Peck explained to The Jewish Press that they have just begun to get distribution offers and are currently in negotiations.

The film will be released in theaters in December, and will then be broadcast on television.  Sometime in 2014 “Brave Miss World” will become available on DVD, so that it can be used in educational and community screenings in universities and schools across the U.S.

Linor Abargil, an Israeli beauty queen, has a bittersweet tale.  But she is a woman of valor whose strength and inner beauty provides a far more substantial life lesson than do most fairy tales about beauty pageants.  Find out when “Brave Miss World” is playing near you and go and see it.

Share Button

About the Author: Lori Lowenthal Marcus is the US correspondent for The Jewish Press. She is a recovered lawyer who previously practiced First Amendment law and taught in Philadelphia-area graduate and law schools.

Leave a comment (Select your commenting platform)

22 Responses to “Film of Israeli Rape Victim Who Became Miss World, at AFI”

1. Cecilia Peck Voll says:

Grateful for this piece about Brave Miss World:

2. Marsha Roth says:

3. Marsha Roth says:

I look forward to seeing this film. And, thank you MS. Peck for following in your father's footsteps! Gentleman's Agreement is still one of my favorite films. He and Darryl Zanuck were brave enough to make this film right after WWII when Jewish heads of other studios would not, in fear of "rocking the boat" as Jews. American Jews fought in WWII including all of my uncles. Some of my family are Holocaust Survivors. To not recognize antisemitism in America, especially after the War, is a disgrace! Thanks to Gregory Peck and Darryl Zanuck, both non Jews, they made an excellent film without worry of repercussions in their careers. They put their money where their mouths are! I'm thrilled to see you follow a great man, your Dad. Thank you! I write about unique Holocaust stories and hope to have my newest screenplay, SIX NUMBERS TRILOGY in production in 2013 or 2014. It got excellent coverage, so I hope for the best!…… Marsha Roth

4. Marsha Roth says:

Once again, Lori Lowenthal Marcus, your articles are a pleasure to read. I look forward to seeing Brave Miss World. Thank you. Since I am not in Israel and unable to attend Barbra Streisand's speech, I would be interested to know your thoughts on her comments regarding the treatment of women in Israel. I, personally, agree with the writer who asked, "Why do people who do not live in Israel or visit for the first time in 29 years, seem to think they know what's best for Israel?"

5. This is a beautiful article about a beautiful person. I cannot imagine what strength of character it takes to overcome such a trauma. And thank you, Cecilia Peck for recognizing this amazing happening and painting such a vivid picture of it, with all its pain and all its heroism. I hope the world sees your movie and learns a little about the world, and the country, from which this heroine has come.

6. This is a beautiful article about a beautiful person. I cannot imagine what strength of character it takes to overcome such a trauma. And thank you, Cecilia Peck for recognizing this amazing happening and painting such a vivid picture of it, with all its pain and all its heroism. I hope the world sees your movie and learns a little about the world, and the country, from which this heroine has come.

7. Ethan Perks says:

I am not easily moved. Her story, her courage, succeded.

8. Joclyn Stern says:

Kol Hakavod to Linor! I wish you all the best. Thank you to Cecilia Peck Voll for making this film. Gregory Peck remains one of my favorite actors & his movies get better every time I watched them.

9. dying to see it how can i ? any new screenings?

10. Will have to wait until December when the film is due for general release. A powerful and distressing story. Rape is humiliating and tough to overcome, legislation is better today than in the '70's, however, this does not reduce the horror of this crime. Rape marks a woman deeply.

11. She is continuing in the tradition of other woman -like you LLM-dedicated to helping those who were beaten down and need help to get back up.

12. Larry P. Thomas says:

Thank you, Cecilia Peck Voll. So many will be blessed by your work.

13. Larry P. Thomas says:

Thank you, Cecilia Peck Voll. So many will be blessed by your work.

14. Larry P. Thomas says:

Thank you, Cecilia Peck Voll. So many will be blessed by your work.

15. Wonderful article I just read about your film. You should be so proud.

16. Virgilio Elcullada Luib Jr. says:

When can we see this movie?

17. Frank Josefina says:

Stay strong! Read Psalm 91. We support you and we are proud of you!

18. John Philip says:

Love for her, but, who is the rapist?

19. John Philip says:

Love for her, but, who is the rapist?

20. Venessa Valentin says:

Que mujer valiente!!! Q esta película sea de ayuda a otr@s víctimas de tan horrible acto. Dlb!!!

21. Ron BC says:

I look forward to seeing this film :) x

22. Kathleen Patane says:

Oh I quite agree Marsha… Gentleman's Agreement has long been one of my favorite films.
    I so vividly recall the deep feeling of fury on fire within me, the very first time seeing it (one of many) as a child. It was a foreign emotion for me, something that is rarely sparked to this day, and only when there is a compelling social injustice calling out to me. On such occasions the film comes to mind, having been my first exposure to prejudice. The film inspired me so, teaching me about truth and honor as a little girl. The portrayals were so poignant and the story so difficult to accept as a youngster..Gregory Peck's was by far my favorite actor of that era… Possibly to date, as actors of this caliber are all too rare.

Loading Facebook Comments ...
Loading Disqus Comments ...
Flyers ordered Jews to appear at a designated location in Ukraine, in Sept., 1941. The next day, the Jews lined up at the Babi Yar Ravine.
‘Jews Must Register’ Flyer in Ukraine an Echo of Babi Yar
Latest News Stories
Zoo Matza

Chimpanzees and Orangutans eat Matza, unleavened bread traditionally eaten during the Passover holiday, at the Ramat Gan Safari on Thursday, April 17, 2014. I hope they can digest it. On Passover no leavened bread (Chametz) is allowed in Jewish possession, and that includes food we feed our animals.

Following intelligence reports of further expected Arab rioting and violence on the Temple Mount today, the police have placed restrictions on Muslim entry to the Jewish holy site, according to a report on Arutz-7. Entry will be limited to Muslims over the age of 50, and women, also they must be Israeli citizens or residency […]

Aaronovitch and Police

PA President Abbas’s refusal to publicly condemn the terror attack that killed Baruch Mizrachi is putting a damper on the parade.

The Shas political party, founded and run by the late Rav Ovadia Yosef, has a appointed a new spiritual leader, according to a Galei Tzahal report. The rabbi chosen to replace Harav Ovadia and be the new president of the party’s Council of Torah Sages is Rabbi Shalom Cohen. Aryeh Deri is the political leader […]

As Rabbi Stav said, “You’re free to think what you want. But do you want me to recognize Chelsea Clinton’s child as a Jew?”

In 1941, the Jews of Kiev received a similar leaflet. When they showed up the next day, more than 34,000 were murdered.

Teen stabbed in South Florida high school.

The Kotel Plaza, the stairs, the Kotel entrance, the roads, everything was packed for Birkat Cohanim – the Priestly Blessing of the People – now imagine if this had been held on top of Har HaBayit, the Temple Mount!

Four Israeli citizens were hurt Thursday in a road terror attack near Tekoa in Gush Etzion.

Israel Police closed access to the Temple Mount to Jews and other non-Muslims on Thursday due to Arab violence.

Jews in Donetsk, Ukraine this week were ordered to “register” themselves and their assets.

U.S. Special Envoy to the Middle East Martin Indyk is on his way back to the region to revive talks between Israel and the Palestinian Authority.

Hebron is proving to be a popular family tourist site during the Passover Holiday.

Hundreds attended the funeral of Police Chief Superintendent Baruch Mizrachi, who was slain by terrorists on Passover eve.

A local Jewish merchant was stabbed Monday on the island of Djerba.

The Israeli hi-tech company Matrix has announced it is opening a “massive training center” in Nanjing, China.