March 28, 2015 / 8 Nisan, 5775
News & Views

Film of Israeli Rape Victim Who Became Miss World, at AFI

Tied up and raped at knifepoint, Linor Abargil was able to escape, to press charges, to find other victims of the same rapist, and make a documentary about how to speak out. Oh, and she was crowned "Miss World" just seven weeks after being raped.

Just weeks before Linor Abargil became Miss World, the Israeli fashion model was brutally raped. A movie about her story, Brave Miss World, will be shown June 21 and 22 in the 2013 AFI Docs Film Festival in D.C.
Photo Credit: screen capture from Brave Miss World

“It’s like losing a daughter,” her mother admitted. “But better than alcohol, anorexia, bulimia, or so many other crises that can happen to victims.”

The producer and director of the film, Cecilia Peck, is the daughter of legendary film actor Gregory Peck.  In an interview about this film, Peck said of her father that  “he managed to make films about important issues that were controversial, like anti-Semitism in Gentleman’s Agreement,’ and he dealt with racism in ‘To Kill a Mockingbird.’ So, you know, I’m really grateful for that legacy that I come from, and trying in my own way—could never live up, but—to do stories that count.”

Peck has made a career of producing and directing films about people who act on the strength of their convictions.  She produced and directed the award-winning “Shut Up and Sing,” in addition to “Brave Miss World” and other documentaries, including one about her famous father.

Abargil has retired from modeling, and as an observant Jew no longer sings in public, but is still involved with making music, as is shown in the film.  She recently graduated from law school, passed the bar exam with honors, and now practices law full time, in addition to continuing with her advocacy on behalf of rape victims.

Later this week “Brave Miss World” will be shown as part of the prestigious American Film Institute’s Documentary Film Series, which is taking place in Washington, D.C. “Brave Miss World” is one of only 53 featured documentaries chosen from nearly 2000 submissions for the Film Series.  The AFI Docs series runs from June 19 – 23, in Washington, D.C.

“Brave Miss World” will be shown on Friday June 21 at 2:15 p.m. at the National Portrait Gallery, and on Saturday, June 22nd, at 7:30 p.m., at the Silver Theatre, in Silver Spring.  Tickets can be purchased through the link on the film’s Facebook page.

When asked about what is next for “Brave Miss World,” Peck explained to The Jewish Press that they have just begun to get distribution offers and are currently in negotiations.

The film will be released in theaters in December, and will then be broadcast on television.  Sometime in 2014 “Brave Miss World” will become available on DVD, so that it can be used in educational and community screenings in universities and schools across the U.S.

Linor Abargil, an Israeli beauty queen, has a bittersweet tale.  But she is a woman of valor whose strength and inner beauty provides a far more substantial life lesson than do most fairy tales about beauty pageants.  Find out when “Brave Miss World” is playing near you and go and see it.

About the Author: Lori Lowenthal Marcus is the US correspondent for The Jewish Press. She is a recovered lawyer who previously practiced First Amendment law and taught in Philadelphia-area graduate and law schools. You can reach her by email: Lori@JewishPressOnline.com

22 Responses to “Film of Israeli Rape Victim Who Became Miss World, at AFI”

1. Cecilia Peck Voll says:

Grateful for this piece about Brave Miss World:

2. Marsha Roth says:

3. Marsha Roth says:

I look forward to seeing this film. And, thank you MS. Peck for following in your father's footsteps! Gentleman's Agreement is still one of my favorite films. He and Darryl Zanuck were brave enough to make this film right after WWII when Jewish heads of other studios would not, in fear of "rocking the boat" as Jews. American Jews fought in WWII including all of my uncles. Some of my family are Holocaust Survivors. To not recognize antisemitism in America, especially after the War, is a disgrace! Thanks to Gregory Peck and Darryl Zanuck, both non Jews, they made an excellent film without worry of repercussions in their careers. They put their money where their mouths are! I'm thrilled to see you follow a great man, your Dad. Thank you! I write about unique Holocaust stories and hope to have my newest screenplay, SIX NUMBERS TRILOGY in production in 2013 or 2014. It got excellent coverage, so I hope for the best!…… Marsha Roth

4. Marsha Roth says:

Once again, Lori Lowenthal Marcus, your articles are a pleasure to read. I look forward to seeing Brave Miss World. Thank you. Since I am not in Israel and unable to attend Barbra Streisand's speech, I would be interested to know your thoughts on her comments regarding the treatment of women in Israel. I, personally, agree with the writer who asked, "Why do people who do not live in Israel or visit for the first time in 29 years, seem to think they know what's best for Israel?"

5. This is a beautiful article about a beautiful person. I cannot imagine what strength of character it takes to overcome such a trauma. And thank you, Cecilia Peck for recognizing this amazing happening and painting such a vivid picture of it, with all its pain and all its heroism. I hope the world sees your movie and learns a little about the world, and the country, from which this heroine has come.

6. This is a beautiful article about a beautiful person. I cannot imagine what strength of character it takes to overcome such a trauma. And thank you, Cecilia Peck for recognizing this amazing happening and painting such a vivid picture of it, with all its pain and all its heroism. I hope the world sees your movie and learns a little about the world, and the country, from which this heroine has come.

7. Ethan Perks says:

I am not easily moved. Her story, her courage, succeded.

8. Joclyn Stern says:

Kol Hakavod to Linor! I wish you all the best. Thank you to Cecilia Peck Voll for making this film. Gregory Peck remains one of my favorite actors & his movies get better every time I watched them.

9. dying to see it how can i ? any new screenings?

10. Will have to wait until December when the film is due for general release. A powerful and distressing story. Rape is humiliating and tough to overcome, legislation is better today than in the '70's, however, this does not reduce the horror of this crime. Rape marks a woman deeply.

11. She is continuing in the tradition of other woman -like you LLM-dedicated to helping those who were beaten down and need help to get back up.

12. Larry P. Thomas says:

Thank you, Cecilia Peck Voll. So many will be blessed by your work.

13. Larry P. Thomas says:

Thank you, Cecilia Peck Voll. So many will be blessed by your work.

14. Larry P. Thomas says:

Thank you, Cecilia Peck Voll. So many will be blessed by your work.

15. Wonderful article I just read about your film. You should be so proud.

16. Virgilio Elcullada Luib Jr. says:

When can we see this movie?

17. Frank Josefina says:

Stay strong! Read Psalm 91. We support you and we are proud of you!

18. John Philip says:

Love for her, but, who is the rapist?

19. John Philip says:

Love for her, but, who is the rapist?

20. Venessa Valentin says:

Que mujer valiente!!! Q esta película sea de ayuda a otr@s víctimas de tan horrible acto. Dlb!!!

21. Ron BC says:

I look forward to seeing this film :) x

22. Kathleen Patane says:

Oh I quite agree Marsha… Gentleman's Agreement has long been one of my favorite films.
    I so vividly recall the deep feeling of fury on fire within me, the very first time seeing it (one of many) as a child. It was a foreign emotion for me, something that is rarely sparked to this day, and only when there is a compelling social injustice calling out to me. On such occasions the film comes to mind, having been my first exposure to prejudice. The film inspired me so, teaching me about truth and honor as a little girl. The portrayals were so poignant and the story so difficult to accept as a youngster..Gregory Peck's was by far my favorite actor of that era… Possibly to date, as actors of this caliber are all too rare.

Prime Minister Binyamin Netanyahu.
Netanyahu to Release Frozen Palestinian Authority Tax Revenue
Latest News Stories
Prime Minister Binyamin Netanyahu.

The PA hasn’t changed anything on their end, so why did Netanyahu suddenly change his policy?

Netanyahu and Saudi King Salman.

Obama’s “two-state” phobia shows how much he and his experts do not understand the Middle East.

Rice

Kosher for Passover? Depends who you ask.

The main suspect confessed to passing on information to Syria through the Internet.

Has anyone asked Obama why Netanyahu should even think about agreeing to a Palestinian Authority country?

A U.S. Air Force F-15 warplane dropped approximately 60,000 leaflets over the Syrian city of Raqaa to discourage people from joining the Islamic State (ISIS), the Pentagon revealed Thursday. The “Military Information Support Operations,” propaganda campaign was carried out last week and was the first time the United States has used the tactic in Syria. […]

Israel reportedly wants to change the names to Hebrew, which would affront Muslim sensitivities.

The non-binding vote approves funds for imposing sanctions if Iran violates a deal.

Congress is ‘fed up’ with being left in the dark on the Iran negotiations

While there’s not much snow left, there are bike trails, hiking trails and extreme mountain sleds.

The White House says another foreign policy failure proves Obama is doing something right, but it not clear exactly what.

Palestinian Authority chairman Mahmoud Abbas said Thursday he supports Saudi Arabia’s attack on Iranian-backed Huthi rebels in Yemen Saudi Arabia has been joined by other oil-rich states, including Kuwait, Qatar, Bahrain and the Gulf States, all of whom said that “they “have decided to answer the call of President Hadi to protect Yemen and his […]

The former US envoy to the United Nations writes in the NY Times that bombing Iran is the only way to stop a nuclear arms race.