Neve Tzedek (lit. Abode of Justice) in southwestern Tel Aviv was the first Jewish neighborhood to be built outside the walls of the ancient port city of Jaffa, in 1887, 22 years before the City of Tel Aviv.
In the early 1900s, many artists and writers made Neve Tzedek their home, most notably Nobel prize laureate Shai Agnon and pastoral artist Nachum Gutman. Rav Avraham Itzhak Kook was the first Rabbi of Neve Tzedek.
As Tel Aviv began to grow, Neve Tzedek degenerated into disrepair and urban decay. After 1948, it became a predominantly oriental-Jewish area, and by the 1960s, plans to demolish the neighborhood were blocked at the last minute, as many neighborhood buildings were placed on preservation lists.
by the 1980s and 90s, gentrification came to Neve Tzedek, and now look at it. Too sweet for words.
Come check it out?