web analytics
October 6, 2015 / 23 Tishri, 5776
At a Glance

Posts Tagged ‘antisemitism’

Anti-Semitism Rising, Memorial Desecrated in London

Sunday, August 23rd, 2015

Anti-Semitic vandalism is rising in Britain, most recently — this summer — in London.

The Jewish-funded Edward VII Drinking Fountain memorial in East London was desecrated last week with slabs of red meat and chicken.

Designed by sculptor William Silver Frith, the fountain was a tribute to the eldest son of Queen Victoria and was paid for by local Jewish residents in 1911.

Earlier in the month, a Nazi swastika was scrawled on a fence outside the Beis Chinuch Lebonos Girls’ School in the Hackney section of London.

The words “Yid Sh*t were carefully, neatly printed with the swastika.

It was the second time in a month the school had been targeted with anti-Semitic vandalism.

In Europe, the Yiddish word “Yid” has now become a racial slur, according to the European Jewish Press.

This month petition was created August 7 on the official website of the British Parliament, demanding the arrest of Prime Minister Binyamin Netanyahu for “war crimes” against Palestinians during Israel’s counter terror operation last year against Hamas in Gaza.

The petition garnered more than 70,000 signatures so far this month. At the 100,000 mark the parliament allegedly is required to debate the matter.

However, the British government has stifled the issue, having responded last week to the initiative with a statement pointing out that under UK and international law, Netanyahu is “immune from criminal jurisdiction.”

Anti-Semitic Vandalism in the Borscht Belt

Monday, August 17th, 2015

Monticello, one of the central destinations in the erstwhile Borscht Belt, is not a place you expect to find anti-Semitic graffiti.

But that’s what Dolores and Gordon Wine found on Aug. 8 when they arrived at their summer home in Monticello.

The Wines have been spending their summers in Monticello, located in New York’s Catskill Mountains, since the 1980’s. Gordon Wine built the house at 218 Gregory Road, off Sackett lake Road, in the 1990’s. The house was under construction recently, but the workers took off without finishing the job.

What the Wines found when they arrived at their home was horrifying. In huge letters the word “JEW” was spray painted several times on the outside walls of the house. A swastika and a Jewish Star were also spray-painted on the house. Various items were also stolen from the home, such as tools and a television.

Ezra Wine, the son of the owners, said that the State Police had been called, but no one has yet been arrested. He said that there are other Jews in the area, especially at the local bungalow colonies. He also told the JewishPress.com via email that his parents have attended services at the Monticello synagogue.

The Wines’ home was the only one on the street that was vandalized.


Liverpool Jews Brace for Neo-Nazi ‘White Man March’ Set for Sabbath

Wednesday, August 12th, 2015

Jews in Liverpool are bracing themselves to face a nasty round of ugly neo-Nazi hate with the ‘White Man March’ held on the Sabbath, courtesy of British law.

In fact, neo-Nazis all over the Twitterverse are salivating over the upcoming event. As the organizers themselves explained in a tweet:

White Man March UK @WhiteManMarchUK – Jun 6
We do not stand to oppose the colour of a man’s skin, we stand to oppose a sick Jewish ideological system @SmashCM79

Previous similar marches have been held as a platform for neo-Nazis to commit hate crimes in Britain, the Meyerside Jewish Representative Council noted in a petition to Chief Constable Sir Jon Murphy QPM of Meyerside Police.

The first ‘White Man March’ was held on March 21 of this year in Newcastle where neo-Nazis were “completely unopposed,” organizers bragged in a tweet. Footage of that event is self-explanatory.

Activists on the Twitter social networking site have been tweeting for nearly a month about the upcoming event.

“This march is a disgrace to the culture heritage of Liverpool and is a vehicle from which unnecessary violence could derive.” wrote one person today (Wednesday, August 12.)

“This is a march to incite racism. This kid has sent serious threats to our mayor and our city. Why hasn’t he been arrested?” asked another in a tweet, also posted today.

Hitler salute at White Man March in Newcastle, England on 21 March 2015

“I am a Christian minister and a supporter of Liverpool’s Jewish community,” tweeted a third.

But these voices of reason are being drowned out by the vicious anti-Semitism and racist garbage being fired across the Internet by neo-Nazi organizers and White Supremacists.

White Man March anti-Semitic tweets

The Meyerside Jewish Representative Council asked the Chief Constable to exercise his powers under Section 14 of the Public Order Act 1986 to restrict the planned march.

Instead, the community activist group is asking Murphy to force the neo-Nazis to hold their demonstration at a location away from major thoroughfares and residential areas, for a short time and restricted to a small number of participants.

In addition, the Jewish group has called on Meyerside Police and the Liverpool City Council to apply for an injunction against the neo-Nazi event under Part 1 of the Anti-Social Behavior, Crime and Policing Act 2014.

They are hoping to ban the organizers and speakers for the planned march from making or causing to be made or distributing any statement or image likely to cause harassment, alarm and distress; and holding any kind of public assembly within two hundred meters of a synagogue, Jewish cemetery, or Jewish community or cultural center.

White Man March in Newcastle, England - March 21 2015

The march, organized by Wayne Jarvis of Castleford, is backed by the far-right National Action (NA. Also supporting the march are other racist) and anti-Semitic groups, including the North West Infidels (NWI), the Misanthropic Division and the National Front.

An equally active “Stop the Nazi ‘White Man’ March” movement is organized on Facebook and is urging members to retweet and share posts until gathering at 11am at William Brown Street in Liverpool, an hour before the scheduled start of the neo-Nazi march.

British PM Cameron Wins Kudos for Fighting Anti-Semitism

Tuesday, July 21st, 2015

British Prime Minister David Cameron is winning international kudos for his fight against anti-Semitism, with World Jewish Congress (WJC) President Ronald S. Lauder speaking out to praise the UK leader for his new proposal to fight Islamic extremism.

“We congratulate Prime Minister Cameron for his strong stand against anti-Semitism and Muslim fanaticism. The resurgence of anti-Semitism and the spread of Islamic extremism across Europe is particularly troubling and Mr. Cameron’s plan takes a vital step toward combating these destructive forces,” said Lauder in a statement hailing the UK leader for the 5-year plan to fight homegrown terrorism he unveiled Monday in a speech in Birmingham.

“You don’t have to support violence to subscribe to certain intolerant ideas which create a climate in which extremists can flourish,” Cameron said. He added that conspiracy theories of a Jewish malevolent power or any Western plan to deliberately humiliate Muslims need to be challenged.

Lauder urged other European leaders to follow the Prime Minister’s lead, noting: “Once again, we are seeing the rebirth of classic anti-Semitic conspiracy mongering targeting Jews across Europe – and it is vital that Europe act now before the situation deteriorates.”

NY School District to Pay $4.5 M for Ignoring Years of Anti-Semitism

Monday, July 13th, 2015

A lawsuit brought in 2012 by five Jewish students against the Pine Bush Central School District in Pine Bush, New York, ended late last week when a judge approved a settlement which requires the school district to pay out nearly $4.5 million and to significantly revamp its policies regarding anti-Semitism.

The five students suffered years of physical and verbal assaults, intimidation and harassment, sometimes right in front of school district administrators and personnel. For years the complaints made by the students and their parents were largely ignored or even ridiculed.

The students alleged that the school district and various officials within it violated their rights to an education free from national origin and/or religious discrimination under Title VI of the Civil Rights Act of 1964, the Equal Protection Clause of the U.S. Constitution and the New York Civil Rights Law.

The degradation suffered by the Jewish students (all of which happened within the past five years and it all happened in New York State, not the Middle East or Europe) included one student being pinned down while another tried to shove coins down her throat, being beaten with a hockey stick; swastikas scrawled on books, playground slides, walls, desks and even on the face of one of the Jewish students; holocaust “jokes”; threats to throw a Jewish student in an oven and Hitler salutes.

The Jewish Pine Bush students were called “disgusting Jew,” Jesus Hater, Christ Killer, “ashes” and “crispy” (Holocaust references) to name just some of the allegations raised in the Complaint.

These incidents took place during the past decade and they occurred in a schools district less than a two hour drive from New York City, not in the Middle East or in Europe.

Throughout their school years, the Jewish students suffered from trauma and other injuries. Several of the students were removed from the schools by their parents because the administration did little to nothing to ameliorate the situation. One student was home schooled because she became too traumatized to return to the Pine Bush schools.

When the lawsuit was first filed in 2012, one school official allegedly responded that the complainants’ “expectations for changing inbred prejudice may be a bit unrealistic.”

Three things happened in the past year that likely factored into the decision by the defendants to settle the case, after having initially claimed they had done all that was required of them in response to the complaints and incidents.

First, the U.S. Attorney for the Southern District of New York signaled its interest in the litigation, announcing that it deemed the evidence was sufficient for a jury to find the defendants had not responded adequately to the discrimination.

Second, the U.S. District Court judge before whom the trial was set to take place had denied the defendants’ motion to dismiss the case, meaning that should the students be able to produce the evidence they claimed they had, a case would be made out for “severe and discriminatory harassment” by a fact-finder.

And third, the trial was about to begin. The settlement was announced late last month, shortly before the trial was set to begin, and the Judge presiding over the case approved the settlement (as two of the plaintiffs are still minors) last week.

The $4.48 million settlement requires payment of $581,803.80 to each of the five students, as well as $1,493,333 in legal fees and $77,648 for costs.

The school district also agreed to reform various policies including harassment, discrimination and bullying policies and to require investigation and documentation of reported harassment; impose “meaningful, consistent, minimum consequences” for harassment; implement monitoring for discriminatory harassment; and the training of staff to understand and implement these policies; and various other related changes.

13 Year-Old Jewish Boy Beaten in Paris

Saturday, July 11th, 2015

A 13 year-old Jewish boy wearing a kippah was attacked and beaten in the 19th district (arrondissement) of Paris this week. The boy was beaten as he left his Jewish school.

The assailants were described as being of African origin. The 19th arrondissement is home to many North African immigrants. One of the attackers allegedly shouted “beat that dirty Jew.”

After the attackers beat the boy, they allegedly stole his phone and ran away.

The victim was taken to a local hospital with head wounds.

France’s National Bureau of Vigilance against Anti-Semitism (BNVA) condemned the attack and recommended that a formal complaint be filed with French police.

Analysis: Was UNESCO Jerusalem Resolution Google-Translated from Arabic?

Friday, July 10th, 2015

(JNi.media) Earlier this week, the UNESCO World Heritage Committee voted 13-2, with five abstentions, to keep the Old City of Jerusalem on its list of endangered World Heritage sites. That sounds harmless enough, seeing as Jerusalem is one of the culturally dense cities on the planet, probably the densest, while being at the center of so much violence: terrorist bombings, Molotov cocktails thrown at Jewish homes and cars, Arab drivers charging their cars into unsuspecting pedestrians, violent clashes between Palestinian youths and police on Temple Mount. There’s plenty of evidence supporting the holy city being endangered.

But that, apparently, was not on the minds of the Heritage Committee when it took its vote. In fact, the resolution does not mention even once the possibility that Arab violence might play a role in the danger the Eternal City is facing every day.

In fact, the words Arab or Palestinian are not mentioned in the resolution text. Jordan is mentioned twice, in relation to the report by the Waqf, which was adopted on its face, while the comprehensive Israeli report, answering in great detail every one of the points raised by the committee, was ignored in its entirety.

Moreover, no one over in Bonn, Germany, even bothered, it seems, to fix the error in translation from the original Arabic to English. And so, for instance, The UNESCO resolution is “deeply concerned by the persistence of the Israeli illegal excavations and works conducted by settler groups in the Old City of Jerusalem and on both sides of its Walls.”

The term “settlers” is attached regularly by Arab media to any Israeli doing anything outside what is perceived as pre-1967 Israel. In this context, it reaches an absurd imagery, which was totally lost on the authors, of archaeology-craving settlers, wrapped in their tzitzis, digging up historic treasures.

Now, the reference to the excavations being illegal has nothing to do with whether or not those archaeologist have obtained the proper permits for their projects, but with the fact that they’re working on the wrong side of the 1949 armistice line, in an area Israel annexed after 1967.

The problem is that the purpose of the UNESCO heritage project is not to decide political issues, but to protect cultural sites, such as those archaeological relics that are being demolished en-masse by Islamic State fighters in Iraq and Syria, or Buddhist temples blown up by the Taliban in Afghanistan. Now, that would be the UNESCO kind of illegal.

Indeed, there are six sites in Syria alone the current resolution is concerned about, but they all are dealt with after the biggest problem site — Jerusalem.

UNESCO also “Regrets the damaging effect of the Jerusalem Light rail (tram line) at few meters from the Walls of the Old City of Jerusalem.”

No one knows what those damaging effects could possibly be. Since the invention of the automobile, those sturdy walls have done just fine standing as they do, a few meters from Jerusalem’s perpetually jam-packed streets. If anything, the light rail helps the situation by reducing traffic.

UNESCO also hates the new “City of David National Park” in Silwan (note the use only of the Arabic version of the name) at a distance of twenty meters from the Walls of the Old City.

The City of David National Park was intended to provide protection to the walls, keeping them away from construction, in a modern Jerusalem that is as skyscraper hungry as any modern metropolis. The park includes a lovely promenade, and important sites of archaeological excavations, and the Ophel Archaeological Garden, with finds from Solomon’s Temple period.

Printed from: http://www.jewishpress.com/news/breaking-news/analysis-was-unesco-jerusalem-resolution-google-translated-from-arabic/2015/07/10/

Scan this QR code to visit this page online: