The President of Lebanon: Lebanon agrees to the final version of the maritime border demarcation agreement, but will not recognize the buoy-line as the border line.
During a public speech this evening, Lebanese president Michel Aoun announced that Lebanon officially agrees to the final written version of the maritime border demarcation agreement with Israel.
Aoun also noted:
1. The agreement meets all of Lebanon’s requirements and defends its right [to its natural resources – Abu Ali].
2. Lebanon will not normalize its relations with Israel under any circumstances. We reject normalization outright.
3. Lebanon did not give up a single kilometer for Israel. We have obtained full rights over Qana.
4. Lebanon does not recognize the buoy line [a significant clause: the status quo is maintained but Israel’s demand to have this line recognized as the international border between the countries was not accepted – Abu Ali].
5. “The resistance” [Hezbollah – Abu Ali] proved that it is a force for Lebanon. You defended the Lebanese position in the negotiations as you did during conflicts.