Israeli fighter pilots attacked at least two sites belonging to the Iranian Quds Force in Syria on Sunday, reportedly for the second time in less than 24 hours.
We have started striking Iranian Quds targets in Syrian territory. We warn the Syrian Armed Forces against attempting to harm Israeli forces or territory.
— Israel Defense Forces (@IDF) January 20, 2019
The air strike, carried out Sunday night, came in response to a missile attack earlier in the day, aimed at the Golan Heights from Syria. Israel’s Iron Dome anti-missile aerial defense system intercepted the missile.
The Syrian missile was fired at Israel after an air strike — presumably by Israel — was aimed at two sites, one near Damascus airport and a second site near al-Kiswah, both identified as weapons depots linked to the Iranian Revolutionary Guards Corps. Syria blamed Israel for the initial attack as well, although the IDF made no comment.
“We have a permanent policy: To strike at the Iranian entrenchment in Syria and hurt whoever tries to hurt us,” Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu subsequently said in a comment on the situation when asked about the attack by reporters during his visit to Chad earlier in the day.
“This policy does not change whether I am in Israel or on an historic visit to Chad. This policy is permanent.”
Shortly after Israeli Air Force pilots carried out the second attack, the IDF announced the ski resort at Mount Hermon would be closed to visitors on Monday. Israelis living in the Golan Heights, however, were told to continue their usual routine, unless they received further instructions from Home Front Command.