October 22, 2014 / 28 Tishri, 5775
Meir Panim with Soldiers 5774 Roundup: Year of Relief and Service for Israel’s Needy

Meir Panim implements programs that serve Israel’s neediest populations with respect and dignity. Meir Panim also coordinated care packages for families in the South during the Gaza War.

Orders are Orders

F080826KG08

Photo Credit: Kobi Gideon / FLASH90

“We are trying our best, Mr. President,” the Prime Minister said.

“What’s the matter with tear gas?” the President asked.

“The wind blows it away.”

“Then use rubber bullets.”

“No one is afraid of rubber bullets these days.”

“Then start making concessions. On both sides. With a little flexibility, we can wrap this thing up.”

“With your help, Mr. President, I am sure that we will.”

Sweating, the Prime Minister set down the phone. Immediately, he had the Defense Minister back on the line. “The orders stay the same,” he told him.

“The same?” the Defense Minister asked in an uncertain tone.

“That’s right. The same!” the Prime Minister barked.

“Sorry for the question, Dov, but exactly what does that mean? You know as well as I do that the orders change every week.”

“They don’t change every week,” the Israeli leader fumed. “The government’s policy is clear. Orders are orders. A soldier is not to open fire unless his life is clearly at stake.”

“Yes, sir,” the Defense Minister answered. Even before he hung up the phone, he gave the command to call the Ramat-Kal.

The Ramat-Kal called the Aluf HaPekud. The Aluf HaPekud called the Mefaked HaUgdah. The Mefaked HaUgdah called the Machat. The Machat called the Magad. The Magad called the Mem-peh. The Mem-peh called the Mem-mem. The Mem-men called the Mem-kaf.

Without further hesitation, the Mem-kaf rang up the guard tower.

“Izzy, do you hear me?” the Mem-kaf yelled over the wire. “Izzy are you there? Do you hear me, Izzy? Izzy, are you there? Do you hear me? Izzy, are you there?”

About the Author: Tzvi Fishman was awarded the Israel Ministry of Education Prize for Creativity and Jewish Culture for his novel "Tevye in the Promised Land." For the past several years, he has written a popular and controversial blog at Arutz 7. A wide selection of his books are available at Amazon. The views expressed in this blog are solely those of the author and do not represent the views of The Jewish Press

28 Responses to “Orders are Orders”

1. Stephen Leavitt says:

Is that the end of the story?

To Stephen Leavitt — Yes, it's the end of the story — for that soldier, for his wife, his son, & others who had loved him, known him, cared about him in the past, & those who would have in the future, for the world which would have gained from whatever he may have given it. It's the end of the story for a soldier who follows orders that can kill him, instead of risking a jail term.

The orders were not to fire unless your life is threaten. Soon as a stone landed inside the tower, this soldiers life was in harms way. He should have fired his weapon right at those who were attacking the tower. My attitude would have been, let the damned prime go out and defend the tower, the orders would be changed very rapidly. The business of buck passing is bull****. There is an old saying that I rather be tried by 12 then carried by 6.

4. POURQUOI TANT DE JUIFS ONT VOTER OBAMA : LA SUIVI , LE TRAVAIL N'A PAS ETE FAT SUFFISAMENT POUR PREVENIR QUI EST OBAMA POUR ISRAEL? o.k 10% de moins..POURQUOI ETRE DEMOCRATE? SI C'EST POUR EXPLOSER LA TERRE?

5. Tzvi Fishman says:

Is that your wife in the photo?

6. Liad Bar-el says:

“Days of Mashiach” is a great book that I read in one sitting. Tzvi has a strong message in this book. To those who are of Bal Chuva, it has an even stronger meaning. IMO, the message I got was the utter wastefulness of living a life without G-d and a complete foolishness without learning Torah and the actual putting that learning into action of one’s every day activities. Tzvi and others who returned to G-d jump up with the most energetic vigor to help our brothers and sisters to realize the utter wastefulness and complete foolishness of their lives without the learning and the putting into actual use HaShem’s commands. For those of our brothers and sisters who have suffered the violent waters of Sandy, should know the “watershed” of G-d commandments is living in Eretz Yisrael. Shabbat Shalom.

7. Liad Bar-el says:

Stephen, first of all, I would like to thank you for your efforts in this site, the Jewish Press. For what little I have read so far, I can say you have some very valuable people like Lori, Yori, Tzvi and many others. Great site!

Getting back to this story, Stephen, IMO the story is actually continuing for it is part of these times of which the books is titled “Days of Mashiach”. If that solider was representing Israel, one can see that this story is very real. Israel is being shot at continually and it’s government leaders, America, UN, EU and many other nations are telling Israel not to shoot back. Instead, Israel waits until one of us gets killed and then the government goes out to bomb empty buildings and empty tunnels. This story also portrays that the Torah law, which states that we are to protect ourselves against danger of life at all times, is not being followed by the Solider, not by his commanders and not by Israel’s leaders.

Regardless, of Israel’s failed efforts in this story, if one would read other stories in this book, one would see how HaShem comes in these types of events.

8. Yehuda Cohen says:

9. Yehuda Cohen says:

Rafi Eitan who betrayed Pollard said: "It was not an easy moment. There was a government decision and I cooperated with the Americans – they knew who I was and they knew my name…at the time the evidence was like a great emotional storm inside me. I had a deep feeling that I should not talk to them about the case, that they certainly do not have Pollard's best interests at heart. But on the other hand I am a disciplined soldier and I never acted against the government's guidelines, even if I thought I should act otherwise." In this case, Rafi Eitan should be in jail for following orders.

10. Unfortunately, the Jews in America are more interested in undermining the traditional American majority than in fully supporting Israel. They would rather displace and dispossess White Americans than back Israel against Iran.

11. In other words, they hate White Europeans more than they hate the mullahs.

Tzvi Fishman, author of the Jewish Press blog Felafel on Rye and author of more than a dozen books.
Israel's Deputy Ambassador to the United Nations David Roet, at a UNSC meeting held July 22, 2014 regarding the Palestinian Arab-Israeli conflict.
Israel Attempts to Insert Reason into UN Debate About Middle East
Statue of King David

Though secular, Hitman’s CV includes writing music for, recording, and popularizing religious songs.

256px-Israel-Palestine_flags.svg

Polls indicate that the Palestinians are much more against a two state solution than the Israelis.

Doug Goldstein

Has the Jewish world adapted to the times? Hear the answer with Doug and his guest, Rabbi Berel Wein.

NY rally against Met Opera's 'Death of Klinghoffer' opera. Sept. 22, 2014.

Leon Klinghoffer’s daughters: “‘Klinghoffer’ is justified as ‘a work of art’…This is an outrage.”

Kids bring in the light and let out the darkness through breathing exercises; it changes people.

If I make a million dollars in 2 weeks, how can I observe something like this and sit by quietly?”

Sometimes collective action against the heinous acts of the majority is not enough. The world should not only support the blockade of Gaza; it must enforce the dismantling of Hamas.

How long will it take for Israel and the Jewish World to admit that we are in very serious danger?

How do changes in technology affect the human life and our interactions with each other?

Palestinians (and Jordanians) often use the term “provocation” regarding Israeli action in Jerusalem

The zealots who engineered the ban have been publicly disgraced.

I am sick and tired of this one way street boycott! Time to boycott all products developed or invented in the Palestinian controlled areas! Let’s start with……umm….

Such an incredible miracle to have Israel, it’s crazy that every Jew isn’t clamoring to live here!

Driving is cultural. I come from a place with incredibly polite and safe drivers, unlike Israel.

My difficulties persisted until I met a beggar outside a restaurant after Tisha B’Av 12 years ago.

I’m more worried about the dangers of the Palestine virus than the Ebola one.