web analytics
February 9, 2016 / 30 Shevat, 5776

Posts Tagged ‘Israeli Arabs’

Father, Brother of Tel Aviv Shooter Released from Custody

Sunday, January 10th, 2016

Mohammed Melhem, the father of Tel Aviv shooter Nashet Melhem, has been freed from custody along with his son Ali.

The two men were released to house arrest on $1,270 bond in an agreement between the Israel Security Agency (Shin Bet/Shabak) and attorney Nechami Feinblatt, a public defender who represents the family.

“I think the Shin Bet understands that the family wanted to help capture him and not help him,” the attorney said.

Both were held in custody along with six other relatives and friends last week while the killer was at large. They were arrested on charges of being accessories to murder, illegal association and conspiracy to commit a crime and premeditated manslaughter.

Melhem murdered three people in Tel Aviv on Jan. 1 using a weapon he stole from his father, a volunteer police officer. It was the elder Melhem who identified his son to police as the killer after seeing a video of the murders on television.

When he still was not captured within three days, the elder Melhem was taken into custody along with other relatives and friends. It later turned out that numerous family members did indeed know Nashet was back in the village; but they were reluctant to turn in one of their own. The subsequent pressure by Shin Bet operatives, leveraged via arrests and questioning, plus the gathering of DNA and other hard evidence, proved essential in ending the saga.

Nashet Melhem will be buried in his home village of Ar’ara in Wadi Ara in a small private ceremony on Sunday afternoon. The family is doing whatever it can to put this behind them, a relative said.

Bedouin Teacher Sentenced for Planning to Join ISIS

Thursday, January 7th, 2016

An Israeli Bedouin educator in the northern Negev town of Hura was sentenced to prison Thursday after being convicted on charges of planning to join Da’esh (ISIS).

High school teacher Muhammad Al’ab Ahmed abu Alkyan, 27 was found guilty of having used his position as an educator to spread the terror group’s propaganda among the students and teachers.

He also shared the Da’esh doctrine with family members and associates, according to a statement by the Shin Bet.

Alkyan was sentenced to four years in prison, having confessed during questioning to his plans to join Da’esh (ISIS).

He also was convicted of establishing his own terrorist cell in southern Israel, and having acted as a “spiritual teacher” in passing on ISIS teachings and recruiting other supporters.

Israel Police Hunt for Tel Aviv Shooter in Northern Israel

Wednesday, January 6th, 2016

The manhunt for the Tel Aviv shooter has expanded into northern Israel after five days of fruitless searching for the killer in the city and its surrounds.

Israel Police Commissioner Inspector-General Roni Alsheich has ordered the deployment of officers to Arab towns along the northern 1949 Armistice Line, also known as the “1967 line” or Green Line.

Police began searching for Tel Aviv shooter Nashet Melhem in the area early Wednesday after concluding he has managed to escape from the city. Melhem and his parents live in the northern Israeli Arab town of Ar’ara, in Wadi Ara.

Melhem killed two people and wounded eight others last Friday in an attack on a Dizengoff Street pub, “Simta.” He is also believed to have murdered Bedouin cab driver Ayman Sha’aban of Lod. Melhem allegedly hailed the cab right after the murders and rode with Sha’aban to an open area near the Glilot interchange, then allegedly killed him and escaped.

Although his father, volunteer police officer Muhammed Melhem identified his son last week after seeing video footage of the attack and pleaded before media for him to turn himself in, he was arrested Tuesday as a possible accessory. Two of the shooter’s brothers had already been arrested on Saturday.

In addition, the shooter’s brothers and a number of other relatives and friends have been arrested as well. All have been charged as possible accomplices in his escape.

His mother was also taken into custody Tuesday for questioning but she was not charged.

A large contingent of police and other security personnel are now involved in hunting for Melhem in northern Israel.

A Muslim Arab from eastern Jerusalem is also involved in the efforts to capture Melhem.

Mazen Qaq, chairman of the Committee of Jerusalem’s Old City Merchants, has offered a substantial cash reward for viable information leading to Melhem’s capture.

“We need to stop with the ‘Arab against Israeli’ narrative,” he said. “We are all cousins who wish to live in peace.”

 

Tel Aviv Schools Open Under Tight Security, Search for Cafe Killer Continues

Sunday, January 3rd, 2016

Schools opened Sunday morning amid tight security as security forces continued to hunt through Tel Aviv for a gunman who killed two people and wounded at least eight others at a cafe on Friday.

Israeli security forces search for the killer after a shooting attack at a pub in central Tel Aviv.

But it became clear after the first hour that parents of approximately half of the children were too frightened to send their children to school. Of 1600 preschool and kindergarten-age children, only 230 made it to class, and approximately half of all other students stayed home as well, according to the Hebrew-language Ynet site.

Tel Aviv Mayor Ron Huldai reassured parents in a live interview on Galei Tzahal IDF Army Radio that parents who felt insecure about sending their children to school could keep them home.

“It’s okay for you to to keep your children home if you feel unsure,” Huldai said. But he also emphasized that the city had beefed up security around schools and other high-population areas in the wake of Friday’s shooting at a café on Dizengoff Street.

All schools and classes are open, including the preschools and kindergartens, and all school trips and activities are continuing as scheduled. The city raised its alert and added 24-hour patrols as security personnel continue their manhunt for the killer who murdered two and wounded eight others.

Tel Aviv police officers searched with other security services in the hunt for the gunman.

Nashat Milhem, 31, is from the northern Israeli Arab village of Ar’ara. He has already served time in an Israeli prison and is also known to be diagnosed with a psychiatric disorder which makes him even more unpredictable. Milhem is still believed to be carrying the assault rifle he allegedly used in the attack on the café.

His family identified him from the video footage broadcast from the attack on media and immediately contacted law enforcement; his father made a public apology, saying, “I am sorry. I did not raise my son this way.”

Residents in the north Tel Aviv neighborhood of Ramat Aviv reported seeing a man who fit Milhem’s description, drawing a large security force to the area.

Personnel from the Israel Security Agency (Shin Bet / Shabak) and special ops police units are continuing door-to-door searchers in apartment buildings and construction sites in and around Tel Aviv as they search for Milhem.

Following the Sabbath, Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu visited the site of the attack. He praised the statements of support from the Israeli Arab community and condemnations of the attack from Israeli Arab leaders. Netanyahu then turned his attention to Israeli Arab MKs and Islamist clerics who have been responsible for the mixed messages conveyed to the Israeli Arab public. Such messages have, to a great extent, contributed to the incitement that has whipped up the frenzy of hate driving some of the Israeli Arab teens who now are intent upon murdering their fellow Israelis.

Netanyahu stated bluntly that the time has come for Israeli Arab MKs, and by extension, Israeli Arabs, to decide on who they wish to be: Arab Israelis or citizens of the Palestinian Authority.

Following Terror Attack, PM Netanyahu Demands Israeli-Arabs Show Loyalty to Israel [video]

Sunday, January 3rd, 2016

Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu, this evening, visited the murder scene on Dizengoff Street in Tel Aviv where he was briefed on the progress of the investigation by – inter alia – Public Security Minister Gilad Erdan and Israel Police Inspector General Roni Alsheich. The Prime Minister lit a memorial candle and spoke with one of the pub’s owners.

Prime Minister Netanyahu:

“Yesterday there was a heinous and unbelievably vicious murder here. Young people, whose entire lives were ahead of them, the ages of my own children, were innocently sitting celebrating a birthday and were murdered in cold blood. I would like to send heartfelt condolences to the families of those who were murdered and wishes for a complete and quick recovery to the wounded. We are praying for their well-being.

The Israel Police and ISA are working around the clock to apprehend the murderer. I just received a comprehensive briefing on their operations. They, the security forces of the State of Israel, are working to the best of their abilities. The photograph of the murderer has been published; additional photographs of him will also be published. We have reinforced our units in all relevant areas. I request that the public be on maximum alert.

I appreciate the condemnations of the crime that have been made by the Arab public. I must say that I expect all Arab MKs, all of them without exception, to clearly condemn the murder without hesitation. Murder is murder, and must be condemned and acted against from whatever quarter.

Among Israel’s Muslim citizens there are many elements that have come out against the violence and wish for full law enforcement in their communities. However, we all know that there is wild radical Islamic incitement against the State of Israel in the Arab sector. There is incitement in mosques, in the educational system and in social media. We are taking strong action against this incitement just as we did when we outlawed the Northern Branch of the Islamic Movement and the Mourabitoun. I am not prepared to accept two States of Israel, a state of law for most of its citizens and a state within a state for some of them, in enclaves in which there is no law enforcement and in which there is Islamist incitement, rampant crime and illegal weapons that are frequently fired at events such as weddings. This era has ended.

I have formulated a plan, along with the Public Security Minister and the Israel Police Inspector General, a plan with a lot of money and resources. We will dramatically increase law enforcement services in the Arab sector. Israel will enforce the law and its sovereignty in all parts of the country – in the Galilee, the Negev and the Triangle, everywhere. We will build new police stations, recruit more police and go into all communities and demand from all of them loyalty to the laws of the state. One cannot say ‘I am an Israeli in rights and a Palestinian in obligations.’ Whoever wants to be Israeli should be an Israeli all the way, both in rights and in obligations, and the first and highest obligation is to obey the laws of the state.

I view positively the increasing involvement in the IDF, in civilian service and in the overall life of the state, of the Christian, Druze and northern Bedouin communities, and within the Muslim community as well. I call on all citizens of Israel, especially its Muslim citizens, to take the path of integration, coexistence and peace and not the path of incitement, hatred and fanaticism. We are all citizens of the state and are all bound to maintain it and uphold its laws.

The Prime Minister’s speech begins at 0:30.

Government to Vote Wednesday on Billion Shekel Plan to Help Arab Sector

Monday, December 28th, 2015

Arab officials have expressed outrage at the government’s decision to delay by three days a vote on a major five-year plan involving funding in huge segments of Arab municipalities.

The government postponed the vote until Wednesday on a NIS 15b funding plan for education, transportation, housing and employment because the targeted cities did not include mixed Arab-Jewish populations.

Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu, Finance Minister Moshe Kahlon and Social Services Minister Gila Gamliel created the plan allegedly hoping to change the way government allocates its funding for such purposes.

The ministers were reportedly hoping to give a swift economic push for development of Arab society in Israel, thereby narrowing the gaps between the Jewish and Arab populations.

But Likud Science Minister Ofir Akunis and Culture Minister Miri Regev both objected to the plan due to its lack of balance.

“It’s very important to include the mixed cities,” said Regev. “We’re allowed to represent them and we should not apologize because they [the mayors] are from Likud … not all of them are. We’re talking about Haifa, Tel Aviv-Yafo (Jaffa), Ramle, Lod and Akko – these billions of shekels need to serve the Arab public in mixed cities as well,” she said.

If passed, NIS 1.2 billion will be allocated to promote construction in Arab municipalities and NIS 1.4 billion will be used to improve public transportation in local authorities. For example, information about public schedules will be translated to Arabic for the first time and there will be an increase for subsidies to public transportation in Arab communities.

A full 40 percent of the State of Israel public transportation budget will be used in the Arab sector. In addition, 32.5 percent of funding in the economic development and employment sector will be allocated in 2016 to the development of industrial zones in Arab municipalities. Plus, 17.5 percent of the Small and Medium Business Agency budget will be allocated to Arab sector businesses.

The plan also includes significant investment in Arab sector education, particularly in the field of training educators in both elementary and higher education.

But nothing ever seems to be enough: Arab officials were outraged by the decision to postpone the vote three days, till Wednesday.

1 Dead in Negev Arab Blood Feud Near Mt. Hebron

Sunday, December 27th, 2015

Gunfire in a driveby shooting between two Arab groups in the foothills of Mt. Hebron Sunday morning has left one man dead.

The attack, which appears to have taken place against the background of an Arab blood feud, took place near the Meitar crossing in southern Israel.

Israel Police said the shooting was criminally motivated and allegedly came in response to an earlier attack by an Arab girl.

“Shots were fired from one vehicle into a second car,” Southern District Police said in a statement.

The shots at the site critically injured a victim in his 40s from Hura, who was later pronounced dead at the hospital.

“The background [to this murder] is probably a response to the murder that took place in Hura on Friday. Police are on the scene.”

Police have opened an investigation.

Printed from: http://www.jewishpress.com/news/breaking-news/internal-arab-shootout-in-south-hebron-hills/2015/12/27/

Scan this QR code to visit this page online: