web analytics
July 26, 2016 / 20 Tammuz, 5776

Posts Tagged ‘military’

David’s Sling Air Defense System Passes Final Test

Monday, December 21st, 2015

Israel’s ‘David’s Sling’ air defense system passed its final round of testing Monday and is on course for deployment in 2016, the Defense Ministry announced.

The system is being jointly developed and produced by Israeli state-owned Rafael Advanced Defense Systems Ltd and top U.S. weapons manufacturer Raytheon Co.

David’s Sling was put through its paces in a test field in southern Israel in advance of delivery to the Air Force by April 2016. The IAF is to receive two batteries in the first stage of deployment, although a total of four are to be delivered to the military. The system can be deployed in both mobile and permanent environments, which allows for flexible maneuvers in accordance with military requirements, similar to that of the Iron Dome.

Likewise, David’s Sling can operate independently or integrated with the Iron Dome and Arrow air defense systems, based on Israel’s security needs at time of deployment.

The system, also known as the “Magic Wand,” is designed to shoot down medium-range rockets fired at Israel, with ranges of 100 km to 200 km (63 to 125 miles). The anti-missile system can also shoot down hostile aircraft and low-flying cruise missiles when necessary.

Although the Defense Ministry gave no specific details about the targets that were identified and shot down on Monday, officials said that in general, the system can identify and intercept missiles capable of bearing a warhead carrying hundreds of kilograms of explosives.

David’s Sling is intended to fill the operational gap between the currently operating Iron Dome short-range rocket interceptor and the longest-range Arrow ballistic missile interceptor. Both are already deployed.

“This series of tests completes the first chapter in development and will allow us to bring the system to the Air Force soon,” a senior Defense Ministry weapons development specialist said.

The head of the project from Israeli defense firm Rafael, Shlomo S., added, “This feels like a dream come true, as the goals and targets we had were achieved in full, and that is a rare thing in the development of systems of this kind.”

Hana Levi Julian

NATO Course Teaches Israel Air Force Air Traffic Controllers

Monday, October 19th, 2015

The IAF “Gulfstream” Squadron hosted the NATO Course for air traffic controllers last week in Nevatim Airbase to learn to operate in the English language according to NATO’s military tactics.

“We began adopting some of the American controlling regulations in 2001”, said Lt. Col. (Res.) Erez Reyvit, the course commander. “NATO’s military tactics are unique, organized, reflects a more clear image of the enemy and cannot be deviated from and therefore the learning process is difficult and requires a lot of practice”.

Corporal Meytal Linzer, a simulator instructor from the “Gulfstream” Squadron and the leader of the course, explained:

The instructor set the aerial image the controller sees on his screen and we change it and take it and increase the level of difficulty to make it harder to decipher. After each sortie we debrief them in order to create progress and independent learning process

IAF Lt. Col. Sigal Benglas said, “The biggest difficulty if obviously the language. You have to adopt a completely different way of thinking and get used to the orders given in English, which are also sometimes different from their Hebrew translation.”

IDF Spokesperson's Office

Hamas Proudly Presents Gaza Summer Camp ‘Graduates’

Tuesday, August 11th, 2015

Gaza’s ruling Hamas terrorist organization proudly held a Graduation Day ceremony a few days ago for the older division of its “summer camp” program.

The youths demonstrated their skills during a graduation ceremony of the military-style camp organized by Hamas, whose armed wing organizes Liberation Youth Camps for Gaza teens ages between 15 and 21.

 A Gaza teen exhibits his sniper skills at Hamas military summer camp.

This is the incubator in which children and youths are programmed to become the next generation of guerrilla fighters for the terrorist organization.

Palestinian youth demonstrate their skills during a graduation ceremony of a military-style camp organized by the Hamas terror organization. Hamas' armed wing organizes Liberation Youths Camps for young Palestinian Arabs aged between 15 and 21.

The “campers” were put through their paces to exhibit skills that ranged from learning hand-to-hand combat to how to aim and fire guns, jump through fiery hoops, climb ropes and walls, and camouflage themselves well enough to avoid detection.

Hamas also runs a similar military “summer camp” for children of younger ages as well — children as young as five years old.

Hana Levi Julian

IDF to Launch New Cyber Command

Tuesday, June 16th, 2015

The IDF has announced it will establish a new Cyber Command to oversee all operational activity in the cyber dimension.

Chief of Staff Lt. Gen. Gadi Eisenkot said the new unit will be established in the next two years and in the meantime will work in conjunction with the intelligence branch .

“The IDF is required to excel in every aspect of war, including the cyber dimension, which is becoming more significant every day,” he said in a statement.

“This new command will empower the IDF to perform better in these fronts and will utilize the technological and human advantage that already exists in Israel.”

 

Jewish Press News Briefs

Report: Lebanese Villages are Hezbollah Military Bases, Human Shields

Tuesday, May 12th, 2015

The Hezbollah terrorist organization is now using not only families – as does Hamas in Gaza – but entire villages as human shields in southern Lebanon.

The Iranian-backed Shiite terrorist organization has created an entire military structure in the nation across Israel’s northern border.

In the process, it has also placed its fellow Lebanese citizens directly into the path of the crossfire that will inevitably come – possibly with the next Hezbollah provocation, perhaps with a multi-site cross border raid and abduction attempt.

In any of those scenarios, the Israel Defense Force will certainly strike back at the source of the fire.

But in a stunning set of maps and aerial photography provided to The New York Times by Israeli military officials this week, it is clear Hezbollah has moved its military infrastructure into the villages of the innocents, and around their municipal boundaries.

To the naked eye, a common village on a hilltop in southern Lebanon near the border looks pretty much like any other.

But with enhanced Israeli military equipment, one can see a Hezbollah command post surrounded by anti-tank positions, underground tunnels, infantry positions, rocket launders and arms depots.

In short, each village comprises an entire military base par excellence, financed an equipped by Iran and Syria.

To date, Hezbollah has increased its arsenal to approximately 100,000 rockets and missiles of various ranges. At this point, both Hezbollah and Israel acknowledge the terror group can reach any point in Israel with its firepower.

Israel does not intend to allow its citizens to live as sitting ducks, an IDF official told NYT.

The interview with the prominent newspaper was, in effect, provided as a sort of international “red alert.” It is a warning to the world that Israel would like to see this issue placed on the world agenda, especially since it is precisely this phenomenon that was supposed to be prevented under the terms of the United Nations-brokered cease-fire agreement that ended the 2006 Second Lebanon War.

The UNIFIL (UN Interim Force in Lebanon) troops were to monitor such activities and – one would assume – find a way to prevent them from occurring.

In effect, a third Lebanon War will have been caused by the inability of the UN force to carry out its responsibilities – and of course, the unending violations of the cease-fire agreement by Hezbollah, and Lebanon, which allowed, aided and abetted the terror group in its mission.

“Where is the world?” asked former national security adviser Yaakov Amidror. Now a presence at the Begin-Sadat Center for Strategic Studies at Bar Ilan University, Amidror wondered, “Why does it not stop the buildup?”

Hana Levi Julian

NATO Chief Added to Obama’s ‘Diss List’

Thursday, March 26th, 2015

U.S. President Barack Obama — America’s Commander-in-Chief — seems to have added the head of the North America Treaty Organization, Secretary General Jens Stoltenberg, to his “diss list.” No one has any idea why, however.

Stoltenberg, whose office notified the White House staff of the dates well in advance, but his office didn’t even receive the courtesy of a reply from the White House, according to Bloomberg View columnist Josh Rogin.

The NATO chief is in Washington DC for a three day visit that includes attendance at the annual NATO Transformation Seminar. NATO leaders, various experts and top officials from the host company gather to brainstorm on strategies in the sessions, organized by the Allied Command Transformation in Norfolk, Virginia and the Atlantic Council.

Bernadette Meehan, spokesperson for the National Security Council, could not say why Obama did not respond to Stoltenberg’s request for an informal meeting. At last minute, the NATO leader was able to obtain a meeting with Defense Secretary Ash Carter.

But there’s just no getting around the fact that Obama’s behavior is an outright insult. Where was he and what was so incredibly important that he could not make time for the head of NATO –an alliance in which the U.S. is a pivotal member?

The only event on Obama’s schedule for Wednesday, media moguls said, was a short speech to launch the Affordable Care Act. On Thursday he is also pretty free: he heads to Alabama to deliver a speech. Wow. Stressful…

And Stoltenberg isn’t exactly small potatoes: the NATO chief served two terms as Norway’s prime minister prior to starting in October as head of the largest military alliance in the world.

Moreover, he’s on a pretty tight schedule: on Monday he met in Toronto with Canada’s Stephen Harper, where the two discussed the crisis in Ukraine and the threat of the Daesh terror organization, known also as ISIS, the Islamic State in Iraq and Syria.

Both issues are of equal concern to the United States, so one would think that President Obama might at least be somewhat invested in hosting Stoltenberg at the White House.

Tuesday he was involved in other affairs. Wednesday was the seminar.

But nary a phone call, text or email was made. Not even an acknowledgment of the request for a meeting. Weird, particularly when one considers the fact that America’s membership in NATO is its main treaty obligation.

In particular, the president has ticked off former U.S. permanent representative to NATO Kurt Volker, who actually served under Obama, as well as under Pres. George W. Bush before him.

“It is hard for me to believe that the president of the United States has not found the time to meet with the current secretary general of NATO, given the magnitude of what this implies, and the responsibilities of his office,” Volker told Josh Rogin at Bloomberg.

Perhaps he was not present to cover the day Obama had his first tiff with Israel’s Prime Minister Binyamin Netanyahu, stalking out of the Oval Office and leaving Israel’s top leader to hang around while the president had dinner in his private quarters with the family.

Or the time he sneaked Netanyahu out through a side door of the White House, and the time he refused to end a meeting with the routine joint news conference to address questions from international media, because he didn’t want Netanyahu to have the benefit of a photo op.

The list is endless, petty and getting stranger by the day.

It is not at all clear what minor infraction the NATO chief has committed against Barack Obama, but clearly it was something he considers to be of magnified importance – important enough to risk offending the chief of the largest allied military force in the world.

I sure hope it’s worth it.

Hana Levi Julian

IDF Central Command Springs Surprise ‘Readiness’ Drill in Judea, Samaria

Monday, March 2nd, 2015

The Israel Defense Forces held a surprise military drill this weekend in Judea, Samaria and all territories won by Israel in the 1967 Six Day War.

The unannounced two-day exercise involved the mobilization of some 13,000 troops.

It was the first time in three years such a drill has been held.

The drill, held by Central Command, was intended to “test the army’s level of readiness,” according to IDF Chief of Staff Gadi Eisenkot.

Although the exercise was held on the same day the Palestinian Authority threatened to dissolve its security cooperation with Israel, an army spokesperson said the timing was “not necessarily linked to anything specific.”

Last month Israel stopped transferring tax funds it collects on behalf of the PA, after the entity violated the Oslo Accords and unilaterally declared itself an independent sovereign nation and joined world bodies, including the International Criminal Court at The Hague. In response, Israel began to apply the monies to the massive debt owed by the PA to the Israel Electric Company.

The PA followed up by threatening to halt security cooperation as well as other relations with Israel.

U.S. Secretary of State John Kerry warned PA  chairman Mahmoud Abbas in a phone call last week not to halt security coordination with Israel, Arab media reported.

State Dept. spokesperson Jen Psaki told journalists in a briefing Friday that Kerry and Abbas “discussed current dynamics between the Palestinian Authority and Israel, and the importance of ensuring the financial viability of the Palestinian Authority.”

When reporters tried to pin her down on specifics, Psaki did not deny the report, offering more words without a straight answer.

Hana Levi Julian

Printed from: http://www.jewishpress.com/news/breaking-news/idf-central-command-springs-surprise-readiness-drill-in-judea-samaria/2015/03/02/

Scan this QR code to visit this page online: