web analytics
August 24, 2016 / 20 Av, 5776

Posts Tagged ‘Palestinian Authority’

A Simple Solution for Peace

Monday, August 22nd, 2016

People on the Left like to ask the people on the Right, “What’s your solution for peace?”

But they’re not really asking that, because they refuse to even consider any of the practical and peaceful solutions put forward.

They’re really saying, the only solution they’ll accept is the creation of a Palestinian State, and peace is not part of that equation.

I’ll offer a solution anyway. I’ve mentioned it before.

Polls have shown that nearly all Gazans want to move elsewhere. Polls have show that the majority of Arabs in Judea and Samaria also want to move elsewhere.

What could be simpler than giving them money and a plane ticket to elsewhere?

They want to leave. Let’s help them.

We provide them with enough funds to get a comfortable start in another country.

We demand the other countries chip in and do their part for peace by accepting these new immigrants – who, by the way, are coming with money in their pockets.

Voila! Peace.

How about we give it a try.

JoeSettler

PA Senior: Israel Refusing Meeting Ahead of Possible Cairo Summit

Sunday, August 21st, 2016

A senior official at the Palestinian Authority told Israel Radio Sunday that Israel has refused an offer for a preparatory meeting with the PA side ahead of a possible summit meeting in Cairo between Prime Minister Netanyahu and PA Chairman Mahmoud Abbas.

According to the official, the Cairo meeting is intended to prepare for the international peace conference which is being planned in Paris by the end of the year, possibly with representatives from both France and the US. Apparently, various sources have advised Netanyahu to send an envoy to meet with a PA representative to prepare the Cairo meeting, but Netanyahu refused.

“Netanyahu does not want negotiations for a permanent settlement, and as long as he is at the helm there will not be a Palestinian State,” the PA senior said.

The same official also told Israel Radio that the PA does not demand that Israel freeze settlement construction as a prerequisite to the Paris conference, but rather the freeze should coincide with the start of negotiations. He threatened that “should Netanyahu not arrive at the Paris conference, we expect France and the other participating states to recognize the Palestinian State, open Palestinian embassies in their own capitals and boycott the settlements.”

Regarding Defense Minister Liberman’s plan to bypass Abbas in developing communication channels with key people in the PA society, the senior official said Liberman has yet to learn the lesson of the Village Associations that were set up by the late Ariel Sharon as a bulwark against the PLO in Judea, Samaria and Gaza, which eventually became the Hamas movement.

“[Liberman] is treating the Palestinians as if they were animals: if they follow the rules they’ll get food, if not — a kick in the behind. The Village Associations failed then and will fail today. No one will work with Liberman, people here are not traitors,” the official said, adding, “Israel can’t run the same experiment, change nothing and expect different results.”

JNi.Media

Turkish Parliament Reviews Normalization Deal with Israel

Thursday, August 18th, 2016

The agreement to normalize ties between Turkey and Israel was formally submitted Wednesday (Aug. 17) to the Turkish Parliament in Ankara for review and a final vote of approval, or not, the state-run Anadolu news agency reported.

The debate on the issue has been delayed by several weeks due to last month’s failed attempt by part of the Turkish military to overthrow the government. Thousands of government employees and high-ranking officials were purged in the wake of the incident.

Tourism has taken a serious hit as a result of the coup and the ongoing purges, with numerous countries issuing advisories to its citizens against traveling to Istanbul, further damaging an already compromised economy. For this and other reasons, it is becoming more urgent than ever for Turkey to complete its agreement with Israel and improve its ties with Russia — which it is working on — as well as with others in the region.

Foreign Minister Mevlut Cavusoglu said during a televised interview a week ago (Aug. 11) that the deal would be completed and signed before September, finalized by the Turkish Parliament “as soon as possible.”

Turkey’s Hurriyet Daily News quoted Cavusoglu as saying during a joint news conference following a meeting with Palestinian Authority Minister Riyad al-Maliki in Ankara that Turkey is ‘eager to contribute to the Palestinian issue and the Middle East process.’ Cavusoglu added that Turkey had always ‘advocated a two-state solution to the Israeli-Palestinian issue and would continue to contribute to permanent peace in the region.

“Now we have started a normalization process with Israel,” he said, according to Hurriyet. “According to our latest agreement, the two countries will mutually appoint ambassadors. After this step we will continue to support the Palestinian issue and the Middle East peace process.”

Upon ratification of the agreement by the Turkish Parliament, the two nations will exchange ambassadors to fully restore diplomatic ties. Turkey reportedly plans to build a hospital in Gaza and ratchet up efforts to build an industrial zone project in Jenin.

The deal to restore ties between the two countries was signed on June 28 after numerous repeated attempts to heal the wounds of a breach after a 2010 illegal flotilla that included a Turkish ship attempted to break the marine blockade on Gaza. Israeli commandos boarded the ship to redirect the vessel to Ashdod port, and a clash with armed “activists” ensued, leaving 10 Turks dead and numerous IDF commandos wounded.

Israeli and Turkish delegates spent the better part of 2015 and 2016 working on an agreement to renew the ties between their two nations.

At the end, Israel agreed to pay Turkey $20 million (17.8 million euros) within 25 days, in compensation to the families of those who died in the 2010 clash.

The legal case in Turkish court, targeting the Israeli commandos who boarded the Mavi Marmara flotilla vessel, will also be dropped, according to Anadolu news agency. In addition, individual Israeli nations will not be held criminally or financially liable for the incident.

Hana Levi Julian

High-Ranking Hamas Officer Nabbed by Israel in Ramallah

Wednesday, August 17th, 2016

A high-ranking officer in the Hamas terrorist organization was arrested by Israel in the wee hours of Wednesday by Shin Bet intelligence agents and IDF soldiers.

Sheikh Hussein Abu Kweik, 50, was captured at his home in the Palestinian Authority capital city of Ramallah, in Samaria. Abu Kweik is a high-ranking member of the Hamas Central Elections Commission.

He was detained “for his involvement in security-related activities that present a threat to security in the area, and for suspected incitement,” according to a statement by the Shin Bet intelligence agency.

Nine other Hamas members were also arrested in the operation, according to the Bethlehem-based Ma’an news agency.

Gaza-based Hamas spokesperson Sami Abu Zukhri condemned the arrested in a news release sent to media.

Hamas alleges Israel is trying to influence the election campaign for Palestinian Authority leadership. The terror group has exerted great control over the universities in Judea and Samaria and is expected to win in many areas in the upcoming municipal polls.

The election is slated to be held in October.

Hana Levi Julian

Israel: Okay to Demolish 30 Illegal Structures in “Arab” Susiya

Wednesday, August 17th, 2016

The State of Israel has the right to demolish 30 illegal structures built in the new and illegal Arab “village” of Susiya, according to a draft document to be submitted Wednesday to the High Court of Justice.

Although usually the Defense Ministry Civil Administration decides these issues, this time Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu would make the call on whether or not to demolish the structures, rather than Defense Minister Avigdor Liberman, the document stated.

The prime minister’s review would take until the end of October, after the completion of the Jewish high holy days, after which time the state would inform the Court whether the shacks would be legalized, or demolished.

The state warned the Court, however, that legal remedies would remain in place against any new construction that appears in the area after 2014, and that laws against illegal construction would be enforced.

The Regavim nongovernmental organization (NGO) has consistently researched and litigated the case against any new building by Arabs from the Palestinian Authority in the area, which is completely under the control of Israel.

Regavim is calling on Israel to demolish all illegal structures post-2014, regardless of international pressure.

The United States and the European Union have for months been pressuring Israel to legalize the village. The European Union has in addition been encouraging the Palestinian Authority to continue illegal construction in Area C. In some cases, this activity has actually forced Israel to demolish structures built with funding, or directly, illegally built by the European Union itself.

Due to the sensitive diplomatic nature of the issue, the matter was sent directly to the Prime Minister’s Office (PMO) for attention.

The modern Jewish community, established in 1983 under the Mount Hebron Regional Council, is located next to the ancient city of Susiya, now an archaeological site featuring a 5th-8th CE synagogue with a magnificent mosaic floor, and the mosque that replaced it.

The site was formally declared an archaeological site in 1986 by the Israel Defense Ministry’s Civil Administration; the Arab population chose to locate its “village” precisely on the same spot.

The IDF expelled the squatters, who began with 25 families in 1986, despite opposition from the United Nations which claimed they were living in “houses” at the time. The Arab villagers were moved instead to a site few hundred meters southeast of the original ancient city.

Just 13 families comprised Arab Susiya in 2008. But as it became more fashionable in the international community to target Israel’s right to govern Area C of the Oslo Accords, Mount Hebron and the area around it rose to prominence as a key battleground. Arab Susiya did too, and by 2015 the “village” rose to its current population of 50 families, comprising several hundred people.

Hana Levi Julian

Knesset Committee Chairwoman: Illegal PA Arab Workers Behind Many Terror Attacks

Wednesday, August 17th, 2016

By Jonathan Benedek/TPS

Jerusalem (TPS) – Chairwoman of the State Audit Committee, Member of Knesset Karin Elharar (Yesh Atid party), expressed concern at a committee session on Tuesday over the approximately fifty thousand Palestinians Authority Arabs working in Israel without legal permits.

“In the wave of terrorism plaguing us, illegals are often the terrorists,” said MK Elharar in reference to Arabs from Judea and Samaria working in pre-67 Israel illegally. “As of March, 44% of the attacks carried out within the Green Line were perpetrated by illegal workers.”

The Green Line refers to the armistice lines drawn between Israel and the Arab armies in 1949, ending Israel’s War of Independence. Israel gained control of Judea and Samaria, which are beyond the Green Line, during the Six-Day War in 1967.

IDF Chief of Staff Gadi Eizenkot noted at the committee session that none of the Arabs from Judea and Samaria with legal work permits had committed terrorist attacks in recent years.

“There have not been any terrorists among those who possess work permits during the last terror wave, and I think even over the last decade as well,” Eizenkot said.

Eizenkot added that approximately 61,000 PA Arabs commute legally from Judea and Samaria to work in Israeli-controlled territories on a daily basis and about 40,000 PA Arabs work in city industrial zones. In contrast, 50,000 to 60,000 PA Arabs are employed in Israel without legal permits.

While noting that they understood the significance of the numbers, both the committee chairwoman and the chief of staff acknowledged what they felt were the legitimate concerns of illegal PA Arab workers.

“In many cases, the illegal workers infiltrate because they have no other work options and receiving a work permit is difficult and complicated,” conceded MK Elharar.

The chairwoman, however, also warned that failure to properly enforce and control the work permits just allows the problem of illegal Palestinian Authority Arab workers to continue.

Eizenkot, meanwhile, suggested that Israel adopt a balanced approach to solving the problem. “We need to create a balance between the Palestinians’ economic needs and security requirements,” he contended.

In particular, Eizenkot suggested that Israel improve the process through which Arabs in Judea and Samaria could obtain work permits in addition to facilitating more efficient access through checkpoints. Eizenkot also called for harsher penalties on those aiding, abetting, and employing illegal workers.

TPS / Tazpit News Agency

Israel Arrests Arab Assailant Almost Three Years After Attack

Tuesday, August 16th, 2016

By Michael Bachner/TPS

Binyamin (TPS) – Israeli authorities recently arrested an Arab who stabbed and wounded a police officer in December, 2013 near the Israeli community of Geva Binyamin, the Shin Bet cleared for publication on Monday morning.

The suspect, 21-year-old Mohammed Younis Ali Abu-Hanak from Al-Abidiya near Bethlehem, was arrested almost three years after the attack.

Abu-Hanak revealed under questioning that his motive for committing the attack was to put an end to his hard life.

The investigation also revealed that Abu-Hanak purchased a kitchen knife on the morning of the attack and hid it inside his jacket. He boarded a taxi from Ramallah to Bethlehem in order to choose a random target for his attack. He decided to attack a policeman who was standing at a roundabout near the Jewish community of Geva Binyamin and the Palestinian Authority village of Jaba’.

Abu-Hanak exited the taxi, approached the policeman, and stabbed him once in the back, inflicting moderate injuries. He then fled the scene and managed to evade the authorities for two and a half years before finally being apprehended.

The Shin Bet said in a statement that it will “continue to operate with all its available resources to prevent terror attacks and to bring the perpetrators to justice, even when a long time has gone by since the attack was committed.”

TPS / Tazpit News Agency

Printed from: http://www.jewishpress.com/news/eye-on-palestine/israel-arrests-arab-assailant-almost-three-years-after-attack/2016/08/16/

Scan this QR code to visit this page online: