While there were no US deaths as a result of last week’s Iranian missile attacks on two Iraqi bases housing US soldiers, 11 US service members have now been reported as sustaining injuries, according to the Pentagon.
The New York Times reported Monday that US troops were treated for concussions following the attack. Confirming the report, the US Defense Department said the soldiers were Medevaced to Germany this week for treatment.
“As previously stated, while no US service members were killed in the Jan. 8 Iranian attack on Ain Al-Asad air base, several were treated for concussion symptoms from the blast and are still being assessed,” said a Defense Department spokesperson on Thursday.
The Iranian attacks on Jan. 8 were retaliation for the US killing of Iranian Maj. Gen. Qassem Soleimani, commander of the Quds Force of Iran’s Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps (IRGC), six days before.