September 2, 2014 / 7 Elul, 5774
Sections
Jerusalem Mayor Nir Barkat (L) visits the JewishPress.com booth at The Event. And the Winners of the JewishPress.com Raffle Are…

Congratulations to all the winners of the JewishPress.com raffle at The Event

Home » Sections » Aliyah »

Jamie-Geller2

Her list is short but typical of many immigrants to Israel – the pain of leaving family members behind, trying to learn the ropes in a new country, finding the right place for her family to live, and helping her children acclimate to a new culture.

Friend to the Lone Yiddish Mamas

Then there are the people Jamie has touched. Geller’s success has not only brought her to the forefront of kosher cooking, but has made her a role model for Jewish women around the world. On her Joy of Aliyah blog, a fan calling herself the “lone Yiddish mama” thanked Geller for inspiring her to cook kosher food and come closer to Judaism:

“I have been your “fan” for a while…YOU have helped me out so many a time with yom tov and Shabbos dinners.. I live totally isolated from anything Jewish..including Kosher food stores…so needless to say many of your lovely yummy “quic” recipes have become “not so quick” for me, but still fantastic..because you gave me the desire and will to “JUST DO IT”! AND now with this new chapter of your life..Aliyah..Well it’s gotten me to thinking.. who knows?? If “our” Jamie can leave her world where it was already easier to be Jewish compared to where we live..well…B”H there’s a Yiddish light at the end of tunnel for us too!”

But it took time for Geller to adopt the enthusiastic and ideological approach she now has toward leaving America in favor of a life in Israel. Yet with her newfound clarity has come a sense of confusion.

“Why are we ignoring this mitzvah?” Geller asked. “If we come to it from a religious perspective, a religious person is going to keep kosher, they’re going to keep Shabbat, why are they not going to live in the land of Israel? There are certain things that are deal breakers, and this one for some reason, didn’t make it. “

“You Have to be Almost Spiritually Dead”

While she did not criticize Jews who have not yet chosen to make aliyah, and empathized with the fears associated with the major step, she said “I think you have to be almost spiritually dead if you actually have the opportunity to get to Israel and it doesn’t affect you in a profound way at least…“

With her celebrity and production know-how, Jamie was an ideal figure to help Nefesh b’Nefesh spread the message of aliyah. So while Jamie is receiving the assistance all eligible aliyah applicants receive from the organization, she is not just a client, she’s also a spokesperson.

Beginning with the Nefesh B’Nefesh Tweetup at which she made her announcement, Geller has dedicated all of her multimedia resources to sharing the Joy of Aliyah with her readers, viewers, and social media followers. “I just couldn’t let this move to Israel, our decision to make aliyah, to not make a statement with it and not do something that could hopefully empower, excite, inspire other people who are on the cusp or even just for some reason… aren’t thinking about it. I would love to start that conversation for them,” she said.

Plug-and-Play Aliyah

Geller praises Nefesh B’Nefesh, the organization assisting her, her family, and the 359 Jews on the August 14 charter flight from New York, saying it has made the technicalities of aliyah “plug-and-play”. She also encouraged followers to check out her Joy of Aliyah videos – made in coordination with Nefesh b’Nefesh – on the Joy of Kosher website. Upcoming episodes will include the family’s final day in America, their arrival, and the first 48 hours in Israel.

Beyond the fame, Geller is a real mom who is “just trying to get food on the table”and is now embarking on a new, and very real, adventure. Yet she continues to inspire precisely because her realness shows through. On her blog, she wrote back to Yiddish Mama:

“I didn’t grow up religious, I didn’t grow up kosher… I have become so far away from what I ever thought or dreamed. And I am thankful to Hashem for that fact everyday. The last few years I struggled with this decision. I had so much fear, so much apprehension. I was NEVER going to move to Israel. Never. This was so NOT me. And you know… after a lot of struggle I am now so at peace with the decision… I wish you incredible brachos to continue to be a pillar wherever you are (WHERE ARE YOU?!?) and hope that you will join us in Israel. L’Shana Habba B’Yerushalayim. My husband always said/says we should mean that and this year when we said it, we did.”

About the Author: Malkah Fleisher is a graduate of Cardozo Law School in New York City. She is an editor/staff writer at JewishPress.com and co-hosts a weekly Israeli FM radio show. Malkah lives with her husband and two children on the Mount of Olives in Jerusalem.

11 Responses to “US Queen of Kosher: “I’m a Jewish Person and it’s the Jewish Homeland, and I Want to Go Home!””

1. Kol ha Kavod- may she be an inspiration for others to make aliya!

2. Kol ha Kavod- may she be an inspiration for others to make aliya!

3. Ellie Libitzky Caruso says:

Congratulations! My son made aliyah on March 27 and will be joining the IDF on August 26. He went alone, travelled the state, made many friends and now will fight for his grandparents who survivied but lost everyone in the Holocaust and jews, past, present and future. Best of luck to you.

4. "So while Jamie is receiving the assistance all eligible aliyah applicants receive from the organization, she is not just a client, she’s also a spokesperson."
    So let me get this straight: ALL ELIGIBLE ALIYAH APP"s huh"? She's a celebrity chef and getting help from NBN, but we were flat turned down, not once, but twice, and our two sons who came as Kotin Hozrin as well. I'm confused…..what exactly makes one ELIGIBLE, if you're olim chadashim, as we were. I know! MONEY. We were cash-poor but debt-free and anxious to make a new home in the Land. How does that make us "ineligible"? Everyone I know who got assistance from NBN were either bringing substantial savings with them, PLUS got the monetary boost from Nefesh, came over with job waiting (which almost NEVER happens) OR sold a size-able home in the states, pocketing the substantial wad of cash to live off of along with the Sal Klita and NBN funds that were doled out.
    So, as you can see, a pattern is starting to appear, and Jamie Geller just confirms what I've suspected all along.

5. You must be so proud, Ellie!

6. Ellie Libitzky Caruso says:

Yes, Kathleen, very proud he is fighting for something he actually believes in 100%

7. Ellie Libitzky Caruso says:

Victoria: what you say is so not true. I am a widow, a poor widow. My son didn't come from a wealthy family and was a struggling waiter when he applied with n'fesh b'nefesh. He supplied the required paperwork, proof of jewishness and went through his interview. Nothing more nothing less. He had no income except for his little job and recieved a grant of 1000. Certainly not much, but with the flight to Israel he recieved, he was able to got to a kibbutz. He goes into the army on Aug 26 and will receive assistance then too. I am not sure what you are angry about. Did you get to make aliyah, and if you did, what precluded from getting the "absorption basket?" I am just a little confused by your post. I don't if you are there in Israel, or not there?

8. Yes, we went ahead, made aliyah, only b/c of the sal klita, b/c my husband didn't have a job 'lined up", which last I checked was not a prerequisite, but had substantial job skills as an engineer. (2003) We basically sold our used car, and that was our savings, which Thank G-d, we at least had that. We're talking 2003 ok?, not now, when alot of folks have come with alot less then back then. This was the 2nd flight we were applying for.Upon submitting our application, they very promptly turned us down, almost too quickly, IMHO, to have realistically reviewed our application. however they said there *might* be a 3rd flight we could be considered for. But guess what? When that flight did eventually materialize, we never heard back from them. We contacted them to ask why, and all they (the office in Florida) could say was "sorry, you weren't eligible", but never an explanation as to why. Here's the kicker: I personally know of 2 families at that same time, one came before us on the 1st fight, and one followed the year after us, both with a decent savings. The 2nd family had well over 100K from selling a nice home, and yet both families *also* got $25K assistance from NBN. We got nothing, no help, not even an offer to take the charter flight so at least we'd get help with the paperwork on the flight. Nothing. And upon our arrival, people of course asked us "Did you come with Nefesh?" which is what Everyone Asks, when you get here. We said No, and people were SHOCKED. "WHY!" they asked. "I don't know" was our reply. We came to Ramat Beit Shemesh, where Rabbi Fass lives (their spokesman and on their board), lived then as now. People actually went over and banged on his door, outraged that we weren't rendered assistance, despite being without means, family living locally, having a job waiting for us, or anything that if lacking, would IMO deem us definitely 'needy', at least enough to get a little help; maybe not the 'mother lode' that others were given, but certainly something. Here's the irony: those two families I know….after just being here over 3 yrs (the min. time req'd by NBN to live in Israel so you won't have to refund their money), they RETURNED to the states, despite all the help they got. We however had to return after only 9 months b/c our sal klita ran out, the job market then was worse than now so my husband couldn't find any work whatsoever. I can't help but wonder if they had just helped us (job leads, monetary help to stretch our time here til work came along) we might have been able to stay put. But this year we *did* come back, without their help. Your son came alone, which makes a big difference. But again, so did my oldest son, last year. And his younger brother right after him. And neither of them had help. not sure why. People have suggested that now we're here, to look into whether they can still help us, and that they may be more inclined to do so, since we 'proved' ourselves by coming anyway without help, and coming back again, despite being in the same situation as before.

9. Ellie Libitzky Caruso says:

I'm not sure why you didn't get help either. My son applied for the flight and went on it from Newark, I just had to get him there from Florida. which was hard for me as we lost my husband from cancer before that, and there were really no funds. He is getting his Sal Klita and I understand it may stop while he is in the army, then restart again. But being a lone soldier (no family there) he will receive not only benefit from the army but governnent also. He has a small apt in Haifa which will be about 30 min from where the base will be. I read everyday of nfesh bnefesh aliyah flights. Maybe the times have changed, i don't know. I'm sorry you had to go through all you did. My son is a very pesistent and won't take no for an answer person and maybe that is why everything had gone smoothly, I just can't say. Hopefully, no one else will experiece the terrible things you did in trying to get there. Good luck to all of you and be safe.

10. Dawn Yonah says:

What an amazing husband Jamie has! He lovingly waited for his wife to realize the obvious. I'm impressed. Kol ha kavod to the Geller family – welcome home.

11. Hananel Gez says:

I am so proud of Jamie Geller for making aliyah with her family, and even more so of her husband that kept pushing the idea till it stuck! Best of luck to all the new olim!

Candy-laden bulletin board greets children on their first day of school in the lobby of an Efrat apartment building. Sept. 1, 2014.
The message reads:
"To our dear children ... may it be a year of fun and happiness in your studies."
Did You Know September 1 is an Israeli National Holiday?
Latest Sections Stories
LBJ-082914

What better proof do we need than the recent war with Hamas in Gaza, dubbed “Operation Protective Edge,” that transformed the pain and suffering of three families into a sense of unparalleled unity and outpouring of love of the entire nation of Israel?

Katzman-082914

So many families are mourning, and all along we mourned with them.

Astaire-082914

In addition to his great erudition, Rabi Akiva was known for his optimism.

Kupfer-082914-Chuppah

She told me that she was busy and that he could sit in his wet clothes for the rest of the day. It would teach him to be more careful.

What can we do to help him stop feeling so sad all the time?

Children with dyslexia or dysgraphia frequently have problems in social relationships.

Israel’s neighbors engaged in hostilities from the onset. The War of Independence was a hard-won battle. Aggression and enmity has followed for 66 years.

The contest will include student-created sculpture, computer graphic design, collage, videography, PowerPoint and painting.

David, an 8-year-old boy on the autism spectrum, recently attended a Friendship Circle event. As he entered he told his Dad, “I love coming to the FC programs ‘cause everyone loves each other.”

Goldsmith himself went on his own “voyage of discovery” to the places where his grandfather and uncle landed and were sent.

Frank proclaimed himself Zvi’s successor and the reincarnation of King David.

You’re probably wondering why the greatest advocate of fast and easy preps in the kitchen is talking about layer cakes, right?

Almost immediately the audience began singing and clapping and continued almost without stop throughout the rest of the concert.

As of late, vintage has definitely been in vogue in the Orthodox community.

More Articles from Malkah Fleisher
Godzilla (R.)

A green bell pepper affectionately dubbed “Godzilla” by the children of Moshav Ein Yahav in the northern Arava desert has won a place in the Guinness Book of World Records.

Though the permissibility of watching hired sports players go to battle in a large stadium is a source of controversy amongst Torah observant Jews, the food being served at the upcoming Super Bowl games in New Orleans is not.

Rabbi Yitzchok Moully, youth director at the Chabad Jewish Center in Basking Ridge, New Jersey, will be introducing a new art installation in honor of Tu B’Shevat, the Jewish New Year of Trees, inspired by the destruction of Hurricane Sandy.

More than 2,000 people have made contributions in memory of the young victims of the school shooting in Newtown, Connecticut to plant a grove of trees in Israel.

Shoshana Hebshi, a half-Jewish, half-Arab woman from Ohio is suing Frontier Airlines, the FBI, TSA and other governmental agencies after she says she was forced off a flight, strip-searched, and imprisoned on the tenth anniversary of the World Trade Center attacks.

Women may enter military combat in the United States, following the lift of a military ban on women in combat by defense secretary Leon Panetta.

The Jewish National Fund will reconsider a plan to forest parts of the Arava desert, following the request of environmental organizations to consider the impact of trying to alter the native ecosystem.

Russian Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov warned Israel and western countries not to attempt to stop Iran’s nuclear program through military means.

Printed from: http://www.jewishpress.com/news/queen-of-kosher-im-a-jewish-person-and-its-the-jewish-homeland-and-i-want-to-go-home/2012/08/02/