The United States military forces have begun to withdraw equipment from Syria, but so far, forces have remained in place. The move comes as part of the President Donald Trump’s order to draw down troops from the country.
At present, there are some 2,000 U.S. troops stationed in Syria, most of the Marines and U.S. Army soldiers, deployed in the northeast sector and the Middle Euphrates River Valley.
The actual number of American soldiers expected to leave, when and how, is another matter entirely. Information about “specific timelines, locations or troop movements” will not be revealed due to security considerations, said Colonel Sean Ryan, spokesperson for the U.S.-led coalition against ISIS – which makes basic good sense to anyone who has lived in the region for more than five minutes.
Moreover, both U.S. Secretary of State Mike Pompeo and National Security Adviser John Bolton each made clear in remarks this past week that Trump has no intention of leaving his allies in the lurch, as some have suggested.
In fact, Pompeo went further, and in his address from the American University in Cairo on Thursday, said the United States would make very sure the Islamic State terrorist group was defeated, and that “every last Iranian boot” was out of Syria before leaving the area.
On Friday, Pompeo also announced The United States will host an international summit next month to promote stability and freedom in the Middle East, focusing specifically on the role played by Iran in the region, according to an exclusive report by Fox News.
This report was posted in New York prior to the start of the holy Sabbath.