web analytics
July 6, 2015 / 19 Tammuz, 5775
At a Glance

Posts Tagged ‘Ehud Barak’

Defense Minister Barak Meets with U.S. Senators, Discusses Syria and Iran

Monday, May 28th, 2012

Defense Minister Ehud Barak met with a delegation of U.S. senators in Tel Aviv on Monday, and reiterated his government’s conviction that the recent nuclear talks in Baghdad were yet another example of Iran “dragging its feet while attempting to deceive the world.”

Barak was referring to the fruitless negotiations that took place last week, where the West saw its glimmer of hope dashed by Iran’s rejection of the P5+ 1’s proposal (the U.S., the U.K., France, Russia, China, Germany) to rein in Iran’s nuclear program. He also took the opportunity to emphasize that “All options remain firmly on the table.”

Barak also discussed the massacre perpetrated by the Assad regime in Houla on Friday. “Israel supports the UN Security Council’s condemnation of the atrocities in Syria.  The pictures of the children’s mutilated bodies are both shocking and disturbing.  We call upon the nations of the world to unite and act immediately to stop the ongoing massacre of innocents.”

120 Border Guards Disrupt Wedding in Ramat Migron Outpost

Tuesday, May 22nd, 2012

The Tatzpit news agency reports that a force of at least 120 Border Guard police in more than 15 vehicles arrived on Monday night at the outpost of Ramat Migron, near the village of Migron in Judea and Samaria, barging into an area where a wedding of two local residents was to being prepared, and presented local residents with an order declaring the place a closed military zone.

Two court decisions from recent weeks ruled that the closed military zone order is not applicable to Jews living at the site.

The Forces demanded the removal of all the arrangements for the wedding, including dismantling the Chupa. They threatened the guests with arrests.

Light clashes ensued, then the wedding ceremony was moved to a nearby area, away from the original spot.

Border Guards near the dismantled wedding area in Ramat Migron. The ceremony was moved to a different, nearby location. Photo: Ehud Amiton / Tatzpit

Border Guards near the dismantled wedding area in Ramat Migron. The ceremony was moved to a different, nearby location. Photo: Ehud Amiton / Tatzpit

A resident of Ramat Migron initially told Tatzpit that despite attempts by the Border Guards to disrupt the celebration, “the wedding was taking place tonight as planned on the ridge of Ramat Migron.”

But later, one of the wedding planners told Tatzpit: “Border Guard forces arrived to fight us head to head and to try and disrupt today’s simcha. On Friday those forces demolished the house where the young couple had planned to reside after the wedding. This is one more step in their attempt to prevent the creation of anew home in Israel and a new home in Ramat Migron.”

The wedding took place after all, near Givat HaYekev, where the Psagot Winery is located. (The winery was in the news this week, following the South African government’s decision to mark its wines as a product of the “occupied territories.”)

A sources close to the Ramat Migron outpost told the Jewish Press that the disruption tonight was part of an ongoing effort on the part of the Ministry of defense, going all the way up to Ehud Barak, to prevent any sign of enhanced settlement in their outpost.

The source, who did his IDF service in a combat unit, said the forces used by the Border Guard in confrontations with Ramat Migron settlers are typically three- to four-times what is standard procedure in picking up an Arab terrorist from his village home.

A while back, when a wedding of two Ramat Migron residents was celebrated in Jerusalem, Border Guard forces used the opportunity to raze the entire outpost, which had been left empty.

Another time, during an engagement party at Ramat Migron, forces arrived to remove residents.

Germany Transfers Fourth Dolphin Class Submarine to Israel

Thursday, May 3rd, 2012

Israel received the INS Tanin – its fourth Dolphin class submarine – on Thursday, in an official ceremony at the Kiel shipyard in Hamburg, according to a statement released by the Israeli government.

Senior Israeli officials and their German counterparts launched the INS Tanin, “considered to be among the most advanced and sophisticated submarines in the world, and will be Israel’s most expensive piece of military equipment.” The submarine cost approximately $500 million, one-third of which was funded by the German Government, and is slated to arrive in Israel next year.

Defense Minister Ehud Barak – who last month signed an agreement to procure a sixth submarine – said that “the submarine will be another force multiplier in terms of the capabilities and strength of the IDF and the State of Israel in the face of the growing regional challenges.

The Navy has been undergoing a number of strategic changes in recent years,” he continued. “Changes that place it as the long arm of the IDF, at the very forefront of the campaign to secure the State of Israel.” The fifth Dolphin submarine will join the fleet in 2014.

Finance Minister: Evacuating Beit El Is Morally Reprehensible

Sunday, April 22nd, 2012

Israel’s Finance Minister Yuval Steinitz Sunday morning objected during the weekly cabinet meeting to the court-ordained plan to evacuate and demolish the Ulpana Hill neighborhood in Beit El.

Saying there are certain things which simply cannot be done morally, Steinitz added: “It is prohibited to evacuate Ulpana Hill on logical, Zionistic and moral grounds.”

He further noted that “even within the Green Line will not be evacuating an entire settlement or an entire neighborhood. I have suggested the principle of ‘seven square,’ meaning that any community with seven households or more, and has been on the ground for seven years or more will not be evacuated, even if someone proves ownership. Instead defendants would pay punitive damages. We would not have destroyed a neighborhood in Tel Aviv and Kfar Sava, even if after 20 years someone proves that he has title to the land.”

Defense Minister Ehud Barak sharply criticized the Likud ministers who have been calling to prevent the evacuation of the Ulpana Hill neighborhood.

“There’s no no point in this rant,” Barak said at the start of the cabinet meeting, “much of this fervor is not based on a pragmatic discussion of the Ulpana neighborhood but comes out of other considerations which I do not wish to describe. The Defense and Civil Administrations are seeking, along with the Attorney General, to try and exhaust all our options.”

Security Forces Clash with Activists in Outpost Community Evacuation

Thursday, January 19th, 2012

Security forces dismantled the outpost community of Yissa Bracha early Thursday morning, resulting in violent clashes and the injuries of three police officers and six protesters.

The Three police officers sustained their wounds after climbing onto the roof of a structure that subsequently caved in.

Activists said they were peacefully protesting the operation when they were seized by security forces armed with tear gas, while police claimed to have encountered violent opposition upon their arrival at the scene.

National Union MK Michael Ben-Ari said that “[t]he obsessive and ongoing demolition of Jewish homes has reached the levels of the eviction of Jews from their homes in Gush Katif and northern Samaria. [Prime Minister Binyamin] Netanyahu and Defense Minister Ehud Barak are persecuting residents, evicting children from their homes, and injuring protesters – and afterwards they wonder why there are ‘price tag’ actions.”

 The police evicted five families and dismantled six homes in the nascent community located east of Jerusalem.

Israeli Defense Minister: Decision on Iran “very far off”

Wednesday, January 18th, 2012

Defense Minister Ehud Barak, in an interview Wednesday with Army Radio, said Israel is “very far off” from deciding whether to launch an attack on Iran’s nuclear program.

When pressed about the time frame, Barak responded: “I wouldn’t want to provide any estimates. It’s certainly not urgent. I don’t want to relate to it as though tomorrow it will happen.”

Barak’s comments come ahead of a visit by chairman of the US Joint Chiefs of Staff, Army General Martin Dempsey.

Barak used the opportunity to quell speculation that Dempsey intends to pressure against a military strike, saying that the US understands that Israel doesn’t “have the luxury” to “roll over responsibility” for Israel’s fate to the US. Still, he insisted Israel was coordinating its moves with the US: “I don’t think our ties with the United States are such that they have no idea what we are talking about,” Barak said.

US Sends Chief of Staff to Stop Israeli Attack on Iran

Sunday, January 15th, 2012

Israel’s intensifying readiness to launch a military strike against Iran has met with a negative US response, with top government officials being dispatched to the Jewish state in the attempt to thwart an attack.

US President Barack Obama, who has made the US position against an attack on Iran known through Defense Secretary Leon Panetta as well as through private phone conversations to Prime Minister Binyamin Netanyahu, is now sending chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff General Martin Dempsey to Israel to discourage the Jewish state from taking unilateral actions.  Dempsey will be in Tel Aviv next week, where he will meet with Israeli military officials including Israeli Defense Minister Ehud Barak and Chief of Staff Lt.-Gen. Benny Gantz .  Dempsey will attempt to convince officials that US-imposed sanctions are sufficient to protect against an Iranian nuclear attack on Israel.

Despite a growing number and degree of international sanctions, Iran has remained seemingly undeterred in its quest for nuclear capability, warning Arab states not to take part in a drive to stop Iran’s atomic development, chastising nations which have taken steps to punish the country, and relocating enrichment facilities to hidden underground locations.  It has also threatened to block oil transports through the strategic Strait of Hormuz.

Now, all heads are turned toward Israel, which has stated in the past that it will take necessary measures to prevent Iran from gaining nuclear weapons, steps which it sees as potentially unavoidable for protecting the continued existence of the country. “It is the policy of the Israeli government, and the Obama administration, that all options remain on the table. And it is crucial that the ayatollahs in Tehran take this policy seriously,” said Michael Oren, Israel’s ambassador to the U.S.

As Iran has continued its nuclear development, an increasingly heated war of words has ensued between Israel and Iran, with Iranian officials daring Israel to attack “if the Zionists like to sit on wheelchairs”, and Israel stating that ramped up threats against it make a strike against Iran “more and more likely”.

For its part, the US military is preparing for repercussions to its operations in the Middle East as a result of an Israeli strike on Iran.  Of particular concern to the US are its various embassies and diplomatic outposts, with a staff of 15,000.

Israel and the US have planned a coordinated massive missile defense drill for later this year, called “Austere Challenge”.

Printed from: http://www.jewishpress.com/news/us-sends-chief-of-staff-to-stop-israeli-attack-on-iran/2012/01/15/

Scan this QR code to visit this page online: