Likud MK Yariv Levin is proposing an 8-point plan to combat Arab terrorism in Israel, according to a Yediot Achronot report.
The plan takes the form of “temporary legislation”, presumably for the duration of this current security crisis.
The proposal was put together at the behest of PM Netanyahu, who asked for proposals to help fight this current wave of Arab terrorism and restore Israeli deterrence.
The plan includes the following measures:
1) Citizenship: Israeli-Arabs engaged in terror or cooperating with terror attacks will lose their Israeli citizenship. And if they are Palestinian Authority Arabs, then their residency status.
2) Deportation: Following completion of their prison sentences, Arab terrorists will be deported out of Israel.
3) Funerals: Terrorists will not have funerals.
4) Unmarked graves: Terrorists bodies will be buried in locations unknown to the family.
5) Home demolitions: The homes of the terrorists will be destroyed within 24 hours.
6) Masked rioters: Masked rioters throwing stones, shooting fireworks, and those participating in those riots will be arrested and held in jail until legal proceedings against them are completed. That includes anyone waving an enemy flag (“Palestinian” flag) during riots. Anyone convicted will lose their National Insurance benefits and driver’s license for ten years.
7) Family: Family members who express support for their relative’s terror attack will be deported to Gaza and will lose their citizenship.
8) Printing: Printing businesses that print posters supporting terrorism will be closed.
In addition the proposal allows business owners to query the police about an employee’s security offenses, and fire them without fault.
As deterrence measures go, these could actually work,m and work well.
But it is highly unlikely that the plan could actually pass in its current form, as there are too many civil rights issues it rides roughshod over.
But some parts of it might pass muster, and perhaps simply having anything stronger on the books might be enough to help begin deterring Israeli-Arab terrorists and their supporters.