web analytics
September 23, 2014 / 28 Elul, 5774
At a Glance

Posts Tagged ‘Nazis’

Holocaust Survivor Dies before Able to Testify for Md. Rail Bill

Monday, March 10th, 2014

Leo Bretholz, who had escaped from a train transporting him to a Nazi death camp, died the weekend before he was to testify on behalf of a Maryland bill making railroad firms accountable for their actions during the Holocaust.

Bretholz, of Baltimore, died on Saturday, two days after his 93rd birthday.

He was to testify Monday before the Maryland House of Delegate’s Ways and Means Committee considering legislation that would prevent companies from winning tax-funded rail projects until they were held accountable and paid reparations to those who were forced onto the cattle cars.

He had become the face and voice of the Ad Hoc Coalition for Holocaust Rail Justice.

Bretholz was a young boy on one of the deportation trains run by SNCF, the French-owned railroad company, when he and another boy began filing at the bars that covered the train’s windows. Many others on the train begged them to stop for fear they would all be punished, but one rider urged them on, telling the boys to tell the world the deportees’ story, Bretholz recalled repeatedly during testimony and in his book, “Leap Into Darkness: Seven Years on the Run in Wartime Europe.”

“To know Leo was to love him and respect him, and our work to ensure justice for him and the thousands of other SNCF victims will continue in his memory,” according to a statement issued from the Ad Hoc Coalition for Holocaust Rail Justice.

Germany Urged to Resolve Greek Holocaust Ransom Issue

Wednesday, March 5th, 2014

The World Jewish Congress urged Germany to address a request by the Greek Jewish community of Thessaloniki to be paid back for a ransom it had surrendered to the Nazis when they occupied Greece during the Second World War.

In 1942, the Greek Jewish community paid 1.9 billion drachmas (about $61 million in today’s money) to a Nazi commander for the release of about 10,000 Jews who were forced to perform hard labor on roads and railroads. About 50,000 Thessaloniki Jews were killed during the Holocaust.

The Jewish community of Thessaloniki first brought the request to return the money before Greek courts in 2007. This year, the Jewish community is suing Germany over the issue in the European Court of Human Rights in Strasbourg, although Germany’s Finance Ministry has so far rejected the request.

“Surely the German government, which has settled so many Holocaust-era claims righteously, can find a resolution for this claim, which the Jewish community of Thessaloniki in Greece has pressed for decades and is extensively documented,” World Jewish Congress President Ronald S. Lauder said Tuesday. “As German President Joachim Gauck makes an official visit to Greece this week, now is the time to bring closure to this episode.”

Israel Donates 300 Copies of Anne Frank’s Diary to Tokyo Libraries

Thursday, February 27th, 2014

Israel’s embassy in Japan is donating 300 copies of Anne Frank’s “Diary of a Young Girl” to Tokyo libraries following a vandalism spree.

More than 300 copies of the diary and other books about Anne Frank have been found damaged in libraries throughout the country’s capital. Police have established a task force to investigate the vandalism.

The new books were to be presented on Thursday.

Anne Frank’s diary was written during World War II, while the teenager hid from the Nazis in occupied Amsterdam before she was betrayed and transferred to a concentration camp, where she died. The book made her a symbol of the suffering of Jews during the war.

The embassy said in a statement that it hopes the donation will “make up for the copies damaged.”

“Her diary is useful to deepen understanding of humanitarian views concerning the Holocaust and related incidents,” the statement said, according to the French news service AFP. “We believe that the people who took this hideous action will be brought to justice.”

Meanwhile, two boxes of Anne Frank’s diary and books about the young diarist arrived Monday at the Tokyo Metropolitan Central Library Monday, sent by an anonymous donor using the name “Chiune Sugihara.” Sugihara was a Japanese diplomat who helped thousands of Jews to escape the Nazis.

New Jewish Community in Berlin Linked To Pre-War Congregation

Wednesday, January 29th, 2014

A new Jewish community was dedicated in the former East Berlin, in the footsteps of one destroyed by the Nazis.

In an odd twist, the community has the same name as another Berlin congregation that is mired in legal limbo and debt after failing to prove it has any members.

In Tuesday’s ceremonies at the century-old Beth Zion synagogue, descendants of pre-war Adass Jisroel rabbis symbolically transferred the spiritual legacy of their forefathers to the new congregation, Kahal Adass Jisroel.

The new group’s 250 members include many young families and students at the Skoblo Synagogue and Education Center and its Orthodox Rabbinerseminar zu Berlin, groups that are under the umbrella of the Lauder Yeshurun. The synagogue is located within the Lauder complex, and the congregation itself is independent of other organizations.

It is not part of the official Berlin Jewish community but hopes to cooperate with it, according to Josh Spinner, a member of the new congregation, and executive vice president and CEO of the Ronald S. Lauder Foundation. The Central Council of Jews in Germany has given its unequivocal approval.

There is unlikely to be any cooperation with the largely defunct Israelitische Synagogen Gemeinde Adass Jisroel. Its president, Mario Offenberg, told JTA he knows “next to nothing” about the new group and takes “a neutral position.”

Establishing continuity with a pre-war congregation can lead to property restitution, but Spinner said the new congregation is only interested in spiritual continuity.

It is unclear whether there are any properties involved, aside from the synagogue building and cemetery.

Awareness Campaign Sparks Probes of Alleged Nazi War Criminals

Monday, November 25th, 2013

At least four investigations of possible Nazi-era war criminals have been turned over to German investigators in recent months after being identified as a result of an awareness campaign by the Simon Wiesenthal Center.

“Operation Last Chance II,” launched in 2011 and expanded Monday with a new poster campaign, has yielded hundreds of calls and emails from around the world, said Efraim Zuroff, the organization’s chief Nazi hunter.

Zuroff, based in Jerusalem, told JTA that 110 names of suspects — 81 in Germany — had been culled from nearly 300 tips. At least one tip related to a possible kapo, or camp prisoner forced to work as a guard, is under investigation in Israel.

“We are in the process of trying to find out if it is true,” Zuroff said.

Of the four active cases, two involve alleged concentration camp guards, including a male guard at Dachau and a female guard at Auschwitz; one relates to the 1944 massacre of civilians in Oradur-sur-Glane in France; and the fourth involves a man who allegedly possesses a huge collection of Nazi-era memorabilia and modern weaponry. It is not clear whether the suspect is himself a war criminal, Zuroff said.

Would Normal Americans Sign Petition for Nazi State? Yes! (Video)

Tuesday, October 22nd, 2013

Call him an activist, a conspiracy theorist, a trouble maker or plain cuckoo, but Mark Dice has proven that there are ordinary Americans willing to sign their names and list their birthdays on a petition to support a Nazi state “to keep people safe in the good ol’ USA.

Dice, trying to keep a straight face, signed up passers-by in San Diego for a “Nazi-style Orwellian police state…to keep the community safe.”

His YouTube does not show how many people did not sign or perhaps cursed him, but there were enough positive reactions from “normal” Americans to raise a few eyebrows.

Dice’s previous pranks on YouTube have shown that it does not take any more than a mild suggestion to convince Americans to back weird programs. He said in the latest video when people so willingly signed, “Am I not making myself clear?”

Dice explained to people in a matter of fact manner that budget cuts have harmed the ability of San Diego police “keep the community safe” and that there is a need to “increase the Orwellian system.”

He told other supporters, “We just want to model it after the Nazi Germany system to keep people safe and secure” and “Thanks for supporting the police state.”

“Not a problem,” one man responded,

“The City Council does not know what it is doing,” a woman told Dice as she signed.

He replied, “We need to keep the police state funded in the Brave New World.”

In the past, Dice has signed up people to grant President Barack Obama immunity for all crimes he supposedly has committed, such as adding birth control drugs to the water supply.

Dice is branded by some people as cuckoo and by others as a dangerous man. Under the name John Connor, he wrote a book about the New World Order.

One notation in Wikipedia states, “In June 2008, Dice launched a campaign urging people to send letters and DVDs to troops stationed in Iraq which support the theory that the 9/11 attacks were an inside job.’ ‘People want the facts. The Marines are hungry for the truth — what got them there [in Iraq], why are they risking their lives — and we’re going to help them understand that,’ he told Fox News.”

Syndicated talk show host Michael Reagan, the adopted son of President Ronald Reagan, responded by declaring that Dice should be found and killed for treason.”

But the question should not be about Dice but rather the people who signed the petition for a Nazi state in the United States of America.

‘Rain on Entebbe’ Producer Daniel Blatt Dies at Age 76 in LA

Tuesday, October 15th, 2013

Daniel Blatt, who produced “Raid on Entebbe” as well as a cult horror film and an epic science fiction movie, has died of cancer in Los Angeles at the age of 76.

Blatt was born in Rockland County, New York and practiced law after he earned his law degree, but he later switched to Hollywood, where he eventually was nominated for an Emmy Award for co-producing the “Raid on Entebbe” film that was aired on NBC in 1976.

He also produced the cult horror film ”The Howling” and the sci-fi mini-series “V: The Final Battle.”

In an interview with Luke Ford several years ago, Blatt revealed that his favorite work was Entebbe because “it represented the Jews reacting to victimhood in a positive way.

“I grew up in a very Jewish house,” he said. “Then after I was Bar Mitvahed, I said ‘enough of this’ and I moved away from it. And then suddenly to be brought back into this thing was almost like a gift, a circle that I’d completed…. It was coming back to my roots.”

His parents had fled the Nazis in 1934 after his father, a doctor at a Jewish hospital, noticed regulations for Jewish doctors after the Nazis took over the medical facility.

He told the interviewer, “I grew up in a household where persecution of the Jews was drilled into my soul overtly and inovertly.”

Asked if he started observing the Sabbath, Blatt replied, “Let’s not go that far,” but he said he visited Israel “a couple of times.”

He also produced “Common Ground,” about desegregation in Boston in the 1970s,  “Kissinger and Nixon,” I Never Promised You a Rose Garden (1977) and “The Boost.”

Blatt produced episodes of the CBS crime drama The New Mike Hammer and concluded his film career this year with the Lifetime telefilm “Twist of Faith.”

Printed from: http://www.jewishpress.com/news/rain-on-entebbe-producer-daniel-blatt-dies-at-age-76-in-la/2013/10/15/

Scan this QR code to visit this page online: