web analytics
October 10, 2015 / 27 Tishri, 5776
At a Glance

Posts Tagged ‘terrorism’

Treasury Official Explains How US Will Stop Iranian Terror Financing

Wednesday, August 5th, 2015

The U.S. says it will continue targeting Iranian support for terror even with the nuclear deal that is set to lift sanctions against the Islamic Republic.

U.S. Treasury acting undersecretary for terrorism and financial crimes Adam Szubin testified Wednesday before a Senate Banking Committee on the matter along with Wendy Sherman, undersecretary of state for public affairs.

Szubin said it will take at least six to nine months for Iran to fulfill the necessary conditions for initial sanctions relief to begin. “It will take until at least 2022 — even with sanctions relief — for Iran to get back to where it would have been absent our sanctions,” he claimed. “Iran has foregone approximately $160 billion in oil revenue alone since 2012, after our sanctions reduced Iran’s oil exports by 60 percent. This money is lost and cannot be recovered,” Szubin said in written testimony.

In addition, if Iran is found to be violating any of its commitments under the deal, U.S. sanctions could be reimposed “in a matter of days,” he maintained.

“When the JCPOA goes into effect, there will be no immediate relief from UN, EU, or U.S. sanctions. There is no ‘signing bonus.’ Only if Iran fulfills the necessary nuclear conditions—which will roll back its nuclear program and extend its breakout time five-fold to at least one year—will the United States lift sanctions. We expect that to take at least six to nine months. Until Iran completes those steps, we are simply extending the limited relief that has been in place for the last year and a half under the Joint Plan of Action. There will not be a cent of new sanctions relief.

“Upon “Implementation Day,” when phased relief would begin, the United States will lift nuclear- related secondary sanctions targeting third-country parties conducting business with Iran, including in the oil, banking, and shipping sectors. These measures were imposed in response to the security threat from Iran’s nuclear program; accordingly, they will be suspended in exchange for verifiable actions to alleviate that threat.

“As we phase in nuclear-related sanctions relief, we will maintain and enforce significant sanctions that fall outside the scope of this deal, including our primary U.S. trade embargo. Our embargo will continue to prohibit U.S. persons from investing in Iran, importing or exporting to Iran most goods and services, or otherwise dealing with most Iranian persons and companies.

“Iranian banks will not be able to clear U.S. dollars through New York, hold correspondent account relationships with U.S. financial institutions, or enter into financing arrangements with U.S. banks. Nor will Iran be able to import controlled U.S.-origin technology or goods, from anywhere in the world. In short, Iran will continue to be denied access to the world’s principal financial and commercial market. The JCPOA provides for only minor exceptions to this broad prohibition.”

“As we address the most acute threat posed by Iran, its nuclear program, we will be aggressively countering the array of Iran’s other malign activities,” Szubin went on.

“The JCPOA in no way limits our ability to do so, and we have made our posture clear to both Iran and to our partners. This means that the United States will maintain and continue to vigorously enforce our powerful sanctions targeting Iran’s backing for terrorist groups such as Hezbollah.

“In the last two months alone, for example, we designated 11 Hezbollah military officials and affiliated companies and businessmen. We will also continue our campaign against Hezbollah’s sponsors in Iran’s Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps-Quds Force; Iran’s support to the Houthis in Yemen; its backing of Assad’s regime in Syria; and its domestic human rights abuses. We will also maintain the U.S. sanctions against Iran’s missile program and the IRGC writ large.

31-Jul-15: In the Wake of a Lethal Arson Attack

Friday, July 31st, 2015

Originally published at This Ongoing War.

Awful news. Reports of a dead baby, a devastated family, indications of a gloating attacker and first signs of self-justification. It’s a scenario we have witnessed from within.

Though it’s too early for anyone to be certain of what has happened, two points immediately stand out:

  • In all the years (and this week it’s exactly 14 years) since our daughter was murdered, we have not found a single Arabic-language post, article, tweet or speech condemning that attack in the center of Jerusalem or the killings. We don’t say there have been none, and don’t claim perfect knowledge. But we look for them all the time (as we noted here, here and elsewhere) and have not found them – and we very much do want to be wrong on this. On the other hand, there is an endless supply (easily found – no need for us to republish them here) of the opposite in the opinion columns, on Twitter and Facebook and YouTube.
  • No society has been free of people with murder on their minds, ever, anywhere. What distinguishes one from another is how that society deals with it. Does anyone doubt that there is going to now be a manhunt, a trial, an incarceration, and revulsion among the people on our side?

And some speculation. It’s unlikely (to say the least) that whoever did this terrible deed and eventually gets brought to justice is going to be described as a “detainee” who is “kidnapped” by the police because of his/her “resistance activity“. Or that posters are going to be held aloft by protesters demanding his/her release now. Whatever self-justifying argument gets expressed by the perpetrator/s now or later will be pushed aside with disdain by Israel’s mainstream.

On the whole, of the two societies, of the two value systems living side by side, we know which we want to be counted among.

Hezbollah Distributing Gas Masks to Fighters at Syrian Front

Monday, July 20th, 2015

(JNi.media) Eyewitnesses have reported that Hezbollah forces in Al-Zabadani, on Lebanon’s border with southwestern Syria, have begun distributing gas masks to their fighters on this front.

Apparently, the Hezbollah Command estimates that as their pressure on ISIS rebel forces besieged in Al-Zabadani increases, so will the chance that ISIS will try more desperate measures to alleviate the pressure.

In May and June, ISIS forces launched a surprise, fierce attack on Hezbollah forces in Jabal Qalamun, some 45 miles east of Al-Zabadani, in order to force Hezbollah to move troops from Zabadani to Qalamun, to eases the pressure on the defenders of Zabadani.

The fighting between Hezbollah and ISIS has become an all-out, savage war, without rules or restrictions, and there have been several unconfirmed reports that ISIS is using chemical weapons against its opponents in Syria.

Back in February, Islamist fighters in Libya captured chemical weapons from storage areas in southern and central parts of the country, according to several reports in the Arab media. A Libyan military official told the London-based daily Asharq al-Awsat that “before his death, Gaddafi left approximately one thousand cubic tons worth of material used for manufacturing chemical weapons and about 20,000 cubic tons of mustard gas.”

Those stockpiles also included the nerve agent Sarin, the Syrian Army’s favorite last-resort weapon. It was estimated at the time that some of the Libyan chemical weapons found their way to Hezbollah hands, as well as to the Gaza Strip.

Hezbollah casualties in Al-Zabadani are mounting, according to reports, and the organization has inaugurated a new cemetery near the town.

The “Syrian Rebels Gathering” Facebook page published the list of casualties in Syria for the holy month of Ramadan that just ended, a month when, traditionally, wars are not waged.

1,689 were killed in Syria during Ramadan, 1,394 of them civilians, 176 children. These figures do not include non-Syrian combatants.

Some estimates suggest Hezbollah casualties in Syria have reached 1,000 as of last June.

Egypt Foils ISIS Suicide Attack near Suez

Wednesday, July 15th, 2015

Egyptian soldiers prevented another deadly Islamic State (ISIS) suicide attack on Wednesday, according to military sources.

A suicide bomber drove a vehicle loaded with explosives towards a military post between Cairo and Suez when the vehicle was destroyed. Egypt did not explain if its soldier actually foiled the attack or if a malfunction in the vehicle or explosives caused the blast that killed the driver.

The Sinai Province, the new name used by ISIS-linked forces in the Sinai, tweeted that it was behind the attempted car bombing of soldiers.



Explosive Terror Attack Thwarted Near Maccabim

Monday, July 13th, 2015

A terror attack was averted at 3 AM Monday morning.

Terrorists placed burning tires and a gas balloon (gas tank/canister) along Highway 443 (Modiin-Jerusalem highway), about 1/2 a kilometer south of the Maccabim checkpoint, near the Arab village of Hirbhat el-Mitzbach, east of Modiin.

The highway was shut down as sappers and the fire department responded.

The sappers blew up the gas canister in a controlled explosion, according to the police.

The fire department then extinguished the fire, after the sappers ensured there were no additional explosive devices in the area.

No injuries or damage were reported.

Our Tactless President is Right for a Change

Monday, June 29th, 2015

There is no doubt that since taking the office of president, Ruby Rivlin has made some strange remarks and put forward some unexpected positions. He’s rushed in to lopsidedly criticize Jews and at times even seems to take some leftwing positions.

Of course, it’s easy to write off Rivlin’s various statements and blame them on the water in the presidential palace, or perhaps the spirit of Shimon Peres (still alive, of course) haunting the presidential halls.

Rivlin’s insensitive and tactless question last week to the Gonen family, who were mourning the loss of Danny, murdered by an Arab terrorist during a hike near Dolev, deserves a response, because as tactless as it was, the underlying question raises a valid point.

Rivlin asked the family, why wasn’t Danny hiking with a gun?

The family was very upset with the question and Danny’s mother refused to take a followup call from Rivlin, feeling the president blamed her son for getting killed and hiking in an areas where perhaps he should have been armed, as opposed to the Arab terrorist who murdered him.

The truth is, no one should have to carry a gun with them while hiking in Israel. The Land of Israel should be secure for its citizens, and every Arab terrorist should be afraid to even think about raising his hand against a Jew.

But that’s not the reality we live in.

I don’t know if Danny owned a gun. But I do know that most citizens of Israel don’t and can’t. The government won’t allow them to have one.

Rivlin’s question was right, but he addressed it to the wrong person.

Why doesn’t the state grant more gun licenses? Certainly, at least to those who fulfilled their IDF service.

Citizens have a basic right to self-defense, and relying on the police and the army must not be the sole solution. Citizens need to be able to defend themselves, by themselves.

President Rivlin needs to readdress his question to the Minister of Internal Security, “Why is it nearly impossible for the average citizen to get a gun license?”

And then he should ask why are the police so quick to take a citizen’s gun away if they had to use it in self-defense, even if just shooting in the air?

Rivlin’s question was tactless and insensitive because he addressed it to the wrong party.

But his question was right, because President Rivlin at least understands that every Jew should be armed.

Dozens Dead in Chad; Boko Haram Suspected

Monday, June 15th, 2015

Suicide bombings in N’Djamena, the capital of Chad, have killed at least 23 people and left another 100 wounded. The attack was apparently carried out by the Nigeria-based terrorist group Boko Haram.

At least two suicide bombers on motorcycles were involved in the bombing. It was the first time terrorists have targeted Chad’s capital city.

Tensions between the ISIS-affiliated Boko Haram and Chad have been high since Chad began helping Nigeria fight the terrorist group. Government ministers warned that Chad will retaliate harshly to Monday’s attack.

Boko Haram has not yet claimed responsibility for the attack.

Boko Haram was responsible for at least 10,000 deaths in 2014, and has continued its horrific attacks in 2015. Among the attacks have been suicide bombings that were apparently carried out by young girls the group had kidnapped and forced to carry bombs.

Troops from Niger, Cameroon and Chad have joined the Nigerian army in fighting Boko Haram.

Printed from: http://www.jewishpress.com/news/dozens-dead-in-chad-boko-haram-suspected/2015/06/15/

Scan this QR code to visit this page online: