The UN has announced on Tuesday that it is suspending all aid convoys across Syria, following an air attack on relief trucks near Aleppo that killed a Syrian Arab Red Crescent staff member and about 20 civilians, and destroyed a warehouse and hospital.
UN humanitarian aid spokesman Jens Laerke told reporters in Geneva that “as an immediate security measure, other convoy movements in Syria have been suspended for the time being pending further assessment of the security situation.” But he added that the International Committee of the Red Cross (ICRC) remains “committed to stay and deliver to everybody in need in Syria.”
Local war monitors are blaming either the Syrians or the Russians for the strike against the aid convoy near Aleppo on Monday, which came after the Syrians had declared an end to the week-long ceasefire.
The attack may have been done in retaliation for last Saturday’s airstrikes by US planes against Syrian regime forces who had been under siege by ISIS in the town of Deir ez-Zor. At least 62 Syrian servicemen were killed and more than 100 wounded in what the Americans described as a mistake.
Igor Konashenkov, an official spokesman for the Russian defense ministry said on Tuesday that “no airstrikes on the UN humanitarian convoy in the southwestern outskirts of Aleppo were carried out by the Russian or Syrian forces.”
“The Russian side did not monitor the movement of the UN truck convoy that came under attack near Aleppo after the humanitarian cargo was delivered to that city,” he added.
“If this callous attack is found to be a deliberate targeting of humanitarians, it would amount to a war crime,” UN aid chief Stephen O’Brien said in a statement. He noted that the Syrian government had given the humanitarian convoy permission to move into Aleppo shortly before the attack.
Peter Maurer, president of the ICRC, released a statement saying “yesterday’s attack is a flagrant violation of international humanitarian law and it is unacceptable. Failing to protect humanitarian workers and structures might have serious repercussions on ongoing humanitarian work in the country, hence depriving millions of people of aid essential to their survival.”
It’s been 15 years now after the 9-11 attack on the United States. Where is the World now, in the course of history? Are we safer now than we were then? And if not, why? What mistakes is the world making in quelling the terror?
Tamar speaks with Shifra Hoffman of VictimsOfArabTerror.org and Shuva.net as they cover the news in Israel and around the world. Also, INTR’s Technician ‘The K-Man’ has returned from a trip to Sweden. Tamar talks to him about traveling on the 15th anniversary of the 9-11 attacks. Plus, listeners call in and give their take on the security situation of the world today.
One Arab terrorist was killed and a second one wounded in an attempted ramming attack just before 3 AM Monday morning.
Police and Border Police were finishing up an operation in Shuafat, in Jerusalem, and were starting to exit the neighborhood, when a car began driving towards them very quickly, according to the police spokesperson.
Despite the policemen’s warning, the car continued to speed up directly towards the officers.
The police then opened fire at the vehicle, killing one of the terrorists and moderately wounding the second one who was in the vehicle with him.
From the pictures, a knife can be seen in the vehicle, but it was not mentioned in the police statement.
Turkish authorities blame the Kurdish PKK of shooting rockets at a civilian airport in Diyarbakir in southwestern Turkey Saturday night, sending passengers and staff scrambling for shelter, Dogan news agency reported. There were no casualties. According to Dogan, four rockets were shot at a police checkpoint outside the airport’s VIP lounge just before midnight. According to Turkish TV, the rockets did not hit their target but landed instead in an open field nearby. Diyarbakir governor Huseyin Aksoy told the TV news channel there was no disruption in the flights schedule.
The PKK has been fighting the Turkish government since 1984, and is considered a terrorist organization by the US and the EU.
On Friday morning, Turkish Prime Minister Binali Yildirim reported that 11 police officers were killed and 78 wounded, including three civilians, in a truck-bomb attack in the Cizre district of the southeastern province of Şırnak.
According to Dogan, the attack took place at a police check point outside a riot police station in the Konak neighborhood on the Cizre-Şırnak highway. After some shooting, the bomb on the truck was detonated, destroying the riot police building.
Speaking at a press conference with his Bulgarian counterpart Boyko Borissov in Istanbul, Yildirim vowed to overcome all attacks against his country, saying, “No terrorist group could hold Turkey captive,” and “the brotherhood will not be damaged.”
“Let our nation know that we have opened a total war against these terrorist groups,” Yildirim announced, then quoted Mustafa Kemal Atatürk, founding father of modern Turkey, who paraphrased on Patrick Henry when he declared, “Give me independence or give me death.” Yildirim added that “these vile people” would get their just deserts.