web analytics
May 26, 2016 / 18 Iyar, 5776

Posts Tagged ‘Israeli Arab’

Indictment Filed Against MK Hanin Zoabi

Thursday, January 7th, 2016

MK Hanin Zoabi was indicted Thursday by the Northern District State Attorney’s Office on charges of “disgracing a public servant.”

The prosecution filed the charge as part of a plea bargain in which the Knesset member agreed to plead guilty as charged.

In return, the prosecution agreed not to charge the lawmaker with a more serious accusation of incitement to racism or threats.

The prosecution is also expected to seek a suspended prison term; Zoabi, however, is expected to vigorously oppose this and argue for a fine.

The accusation results from a July 6, 2014 incident in which Zoabi sneered at Israeli Arab security personnel. The MK told a mob of demonstrators at a court in Nazareth that Israeli Arabs who work for government security forces “should be scared of us.”

Zoabi called Israeli Arab police officers “traitors.” She told the mob to spit in their faces and made remarks with implied threats towards the officers.

The plea deal worked out with the MK was signed in December by Zoabi and outgoing Attorney General Yehuda Weinstein.

Hana Levi Julian

Police: Tel Aviv Shooter Disabled Cab Camera After Pub Attack

Thursday, January 7th, 2016

Police believe Tel Aviv shooter Nashet Melham disabled the camera inside the cab he hailed after his attack on a Dizengoff pub last Friday, according to a report Thursday by Channel 10 television news.

Melham, an Israeli Arab, apparently shot and killed Ayman Sha’aban when the driver, an Israeli Bedouin, refused to cooperate with his passenger’s orders to avoid a police checkpoint.

Investigators who found the abandoned taxi and Sha’aban’s body near the Glilot interchange also discovered the camera. They said the trip with Melham was not recorded: a clear sign the camera had been tampered with, probably before he murdered the driver.

Up to this point police have been circumspect in the information they release to the public about the investigation.

However, the demands of Sha’aban’s family to release footage of his murder seem to have resulted in their willingness to share the events in the cab.

Nearly all of Melhem’s family members, with the exception of his mother, have been arrested as accessories to the attack in which he killed two and wounded eight at the Simta pub. Melhem’s parents live in Ar’ara, in the northern Israeli area of Wadi Ara.

Included among those arrested is Melhem’s father Muhammed, a volunteer police officer. The elder Melhem identified his son as the perpetrator when he saw a video of the attack on television over the weekend, and who publicly pleaded with his son to turn himself in.

It was his father’s service weapon that Nashet Melhem stole and used to carry out his murderous attacks.

Hana Levi Julian

Police Arrest Father & Family of Tel Aviv Pub Shooter

Tuesday, January 5th, 2016

The father of the gunman who attacked a pub on Tel Aviv’s Dizengoff Street last Friday has been arrested, along with five members of the family, after two of the shooter’s brothers were taken into custody on Saturday.

Muhammad Milhem was the one who identified his son, Nashet Milhem, 31, as the shooter when he saw video footage of the attack on a broadcast last weekend. The elder Milhem is a security guard and auxiliary police officer; it was his weapon the gunman stole and used in the attack.

The younger Milhem shot and killed two people and wounded eight others last Friday, and traumatized many others. Last Saturday police searched the Milhem family home in the northern Israeli Arab town of Ar’ara in Wadi Ara.

Two of the shooter’s brothers were arrested as suspected accessories in the attack. One was taken to a judge at the Haifa Magistrate’s Court the same evening, where his remand was extended by five days.

Tuesday morning, Milhem’s father and five other family members were taken into custody and arrested as well.

“This is police impotency,” family attorney Nachmi Feinblatt was quoted by Israel’s Channel 2 television news as saying. “In the end, they arrested the entire family.”

Nashet Milhem is still at large; he is armed with the submachine gun he used in the attack, and the public is being warned that he is considered dangerous.

Security personnel are focusing most of their search on the northern Tel Aviv suburb of Ramat Aviv. That is where Milhem worked for nearly a decade in a vegetable store, and where he was last reported being seen by residents.

Hana Levi Julian

Female Israeli-Arab Soldier: “I Came to Serve My Country and My Home”

Monday, January 4th, 2016

Video of the Day

Terror Attacks by Israeli Arabs Thwarted In Eilat and Jaljulia

Thursday, December 31st, 2015

By Jonathan Benedek/TPS

Israel’s Southern District Prosecutor’s Office filed an indictment against Israeli Arabs Khalil Nimri and Ashraf Salaimeh, in the Beersheva District Court recently. Both are suspected of conspiring to aid the enemy in wartime for reportedly planning to bomb a hotel in Israel’s southernmost city of Eilat.

According to the Southern District Prosecutor’s Office, Khalil and Ashraf met each other from their joint work in the hotel and conspired two months ago to carry out a terrorist attack.

One of the defendants was seeking to avenge the death of his childhood friend Fadi Alun who was killed on October 4 during a stabbing attack in Jerusalem. Ashraf reportedly felt an overall need to carry out an attack as part of the current wave of terror attacks.

The indictment also indicates that Khalil originally proposed to commit a stabbing attack against a religious Jew. Ashraf apparently rejected the idea, arguing instead for a much bigger and more significant attack. Ashraf suggested a plan that Khalil agreed to, in which they would plant a bomb in a hotel in Eilat.

The defendants made a number of preparations in order to implement the attack, among which included observations of the hotel from outside and gathering information on a religious group that planned to stay at the hotel. One of the defendants also watched Internet videos that showed how to construct a bomb.

On November 30, Ashraf arrived at the hotel in order to gather information and make preliminary preparations for the attack. He created the false impression that he was interested in renting a hotel room for a certain period of time and asked to see the different rooms of the hotel to make a decision. Ashraf said that he was interested in taking a room located below the dining room, where he was reportedly planning to hide the bomb.

It was Ashraf’s questions regarding the hotel’s several entrances, overall occupancy, and of the religious group staying at the hotel, that aroused the suspicions of the receptionist and housekeeper.

After Ashraf left the hotel, the receptionist and housekeeper alerted hotel management and security of their suspicions, which led to the arrest of Ashraf and Khalil.

The case was investigated by the Israel Security Agency and Israeli police units in the south.

Another incident of terror activity planned by Israeli Arabs was recently released for publication as well. Four residents of Jaljulia, an Arab town in central Israel near Kfar Saba, were arrested in November for arms trade and for involvement in disorderly conduct the previous month.

Yahya Abu Hajla, Firas Feki, Muhammad Fayoumi and Udai Harbush, all Israeli citizens residing in Jaljulia, were arrested in a joint operation of the Israel police and the General Security Service (Shin Bet).

The four were involved in violent riots, tire burning and rock throwing at police forces during the recent October events. Their interrogation further revealed that they planned to shoot at a police vehicle or to burn down the local police station using Molotov cocktails, but eventually backtracked due to fear of being caught.

The Shin Bet said in a statement, that it is likely that their arrest “prevented a further and more significant involvement in terrorist activity.”

Fayoumi and Abu Hajla were indicted for arms trade, and Feki, Abu Hajla and Harbush were indicted for disorderly conduct.

Michael Bachner contributed to this report.

TPS / Tazpit News Agency

Arab-Israeli Sentenced to Two Years After Attempting to Join ISIS

Thursday, December 24th, 2015

By Alexander J. Apfel/TPS

This morning, Thursday December 24, a worker who had previously worked at the Israeli Ministry of Health was sentenced following a serious security-related trial which lasted seven month between June 2014 – January 2015.

The trial was concluded following a serious security related trial for his attempt to join the terrorist organization, ISIS.

According to the indictment, Halil Halil, a 25-years-old resident of Abu-Tur, a mixed Jewish-Arab neighborhood in Jerusalem sought to join the ranks of ISIS in Syria when he attempted to exit the country illegally to Turkey en route to Syria.

Halil was caught however, by chance misfortune, when he attempted to cross the border from Turkey to Syria. Moreover, Halil stood accused of establishing contact with a foreign agent in Turkey and also attempted to connect with activists and with illegal associations such as ISIS.

According to the indictment, Halil first made contact with ISIS members in Israel by way of social media videos and Facebook.

The official sentencing, by Judge David Minetz, read “In light of all the information and after weighing up of all considerations I sentenced the defendant to 24 months in prison on condition that if he commits any offence to the security of the state during the first three years following his release from prison he will be immediately reimprisoned.”

Following the sentencing Halil’s attorney, Wasim Darosher, told TPS that “The supreme court accepted the majority of defense team’s positions and concluded that the crimes were personally motivated rather than national.”

TPS / Tazpit News Agency

MK Hanin Zoabi Denounces Lieberman’s Campaign Against Her as “Fascism”

Wednesday, December 16th, 2015

By Alexander J. Apfel/TPS

Hanin Zoabi, a member of the Arab Joint List party, the third largest faction in the Israeli Knesset, issued a statement today, stating her determination to fight a political campaign announced by Avigdor Lieberman.

The Soviet-born leader of the right-of-center Yisrael Beitenu party recently announced his campaign to “remove Hanin Zoabi from the Knesset – for good!” He also uploaded a photo of himself bearing this slogan on his Facebook page.

Lieberman also posted on his Facebook page on Wednesday that Zoabi had “supported terror against Israel and incited against our country.”

Zoabi has indeed made comments in the past, seemingly sympathetic to serious acts of terrorism. In mid 2014, when three Israeli youths were kidnapped by Hamas terrorists, Zoabi said that “I can’t call this act terrorism, even if I don’t agree with it. This incident is a result of Israeli war crimes. [The terrorists] have to use these means until Israel will wake up a little, until citizens of Israel and Israeli society will wake up and feel the suffering of others.”

Zoabi was also quoted on a Hamas website encouraging Palestinians to take place in “popular resistance” and called upon Palestinians to “put Israel under siege instead of negotiating.”

“That is why I initiated legislation that will not allow the Israeli Supreme Court or any other body to overturn the decision of the Israeli Central Elections Committee to disqualify Zoabi from standing during elections,” he continued.

Zoabi, who has thrust herself into the public limelight several times in recent years released a statement this afternoon in which she described Lieberman as a “dangerous political figure” and a “fascist.”

“He is trying to gain cheap and inappropriate popularity by attacking and inciting against me and against the public that I represent,” Zoabi wrote.

The response went on to portray Zoabi and Liberman as the respective proponents of democracy and fascism: “This is a classic conflict between democracy and fascism. I represent justice, democracy and human rights, and Liberman represents fascism and hateful politics. Obviously my democratic principles irritate an opponent of democracy like Liberman.”

She expressed her determination to remain steadfast and to continue fighting for her cause. “This campaign and its name will not deter me or move me from my struggle for the values in which I believe: justice, equality, freedom and democracy. I will continue to struggle for my people and their just struggle.”

Zoabi fell out of favor with much of the Israeli public after a series of provocative actions that included participating in the Mavi Marmara Flotilla in May 2010, which sought to breach Israel’s security blockade. The flotilla contained weapon caches and armed activists. Moreover, the incident severely damaged Israeli-Turkish relations.

TPS / Tazpit News Agency

Printed from: http://www.jewishpress.com/news/breaking-news/mk-hanin-zoabi-denounces-liebermans-campaign-against-her-as-fascism/2015/12/16/

Scan this QR code to visit this page online: