web analytics
June 30, 2015 / 13 Tammuz, 5775
At a Glance

Posts Tagged ‘weapons’

Gag Order Lifted on Naval Interception of Rocket Materials for Hamas [video]

Wednesday, February 11th, 2015

The Navy and the Israel Security Agency (Shin Bet) intercepted a boat last January that was on its way to Gaza with materials for manufacturing rockets and mortar shells, according to military spokesmen after a gag order on the counter-terrorist operation was lifted on Wednesday.

The vessel was being used to smuggle liquid fiberglass for building weapons to be launched on Israel. The boat was sailing from off the Sinai Peninsula to a Gaza port. Israel has placed a maritime embargo on Hamas-controlled Gaza to prevent the smuggling of weapons and materials for weapons.

Security officials arrested three Arabs who confessed to planning to smuggle the liquid fiberglass for Hamas.

The three suspects were identified as Machmed Bechar, Ahmed Zaidi and Awad Zaidi.

​They gave investigators detailed information on previous weapon smuggling activities and told them how Hamas intended to utilize fisherman and smugglers for future smuggling attempts.

That explains why the Navy often fires on those supposedly innocent “fishing boats” that foreign media report were manned by poor Gaza Arabs who can’t make a decent living fishing because the big bad Israeli Navy thinks fishermen are enemies.

They are enemies because they are not fishermen. They are terrorists.

The gag order on the operation was lifted when the men were indicted in a Be’er Sheva court today for involvement in crimes endangering the security of the country.

“The IDF is determined to prevent unlawful attempts to ship weapons and raw materials that may jeopardize the well being of Israelis,” said Lt. Colonel Peter Lerner, IDF Spokesman. “This shipment highlights that when Hamas chose to smuggle materials for rockets and mortars, it chose not to invest in the rehabilitation for the people of Gaza.”​​

Brussels Govt: ‘We’ve Averted A Belgian Charlie Hebdo’ 

Friday, January 16th, 2015

Government agents killed at least two suspects in what they say was a developing “Belgian Charlie Hebdo” situation late Thursday.

The suspects opened fire as police began their raid on an apartment above a bakery in the eastern city of Verviers, 70 miles from Brussels. No security personnel were injured.

The public prosecutor’s office has confirmed the deaths of the two suspects, and added there have been arrests of “several” more.

“We’ve averted a Belgian Charlie Hebdo,” an unidentified police officer told La Meuse, according to Fox News.

Magistrate Eric Van der Sypt told journalists at a briefing in Brussels that the terrorists were linked to the Islamic State in Iraq and Syria (ISIS) and were close to launching a major attack.

Counter terror raids are underway in the Brussels region at this time, as well as in Verviers, he said, and the terror alert level in the country has been raised to its second highest level.

The raids were part of the security establishment’s investigation into local jihadists who are returning to the country “battle-hardened” from Syria.

Another suspect is currently being detained in a separate part of the country on suspicion of selling arms that were used in last week’s terrorist siege in Paris.

Belgian media reported that suspect had turned himself in Tuesday in the southern city of Charleroi, saying he had been in contact with Amedy Coulibaly, one of the gunmen involved in last week’s Paris terror attacks.

It is not yet known whether the two are connected, nor whether those who were killed Thursday were directly tied to the Paris terror cells.

2 Dead in Belgium Counter Terror Raid

Thursday, January 15th, 2015

At least two people are reported dead following a counterterrorism raid in eastern Belgium, according to RTBF, the Belgian public television station.

A third person was seriously wounded in the shootout, which took place in Verviers, the British Telegraph reported.

It is not clear whether the casualties are terror suspects or security personnel. Verviers is a city about 70 miles from Brussels with a population of 55,000.

Federal prosecutors in the country told media a police operation was in process near the center of town but did not confirm casualties. The Belga news agency reported that police activity was continuing in the area.

The alleged terrorists had reportedly returned recently from Syria, according to Belga.

In another part of Belgium, a man suspected of selling the weapons used in last week’s terror attacks in France is also being detained, according to Fox News.

The suspect is being held in Carleroi on suspicion of arms dealing, said a spokesperson for Belgium’s federal prosecution. “Further investigations will have to show whether there is a link with the events in Paris,” he said.

Belgian media reported the suspect turned himself in on Tuesday, saying he had been in contact with Amedy Coulibaly. The ISIS terrorist murdered a French policewoman last Thursday and held more than a dozen people hostage at the Hyper Cacher kosher grocery in Paris, killing four, before he was shot and killed by security forces as they stormed the site at the start of the Sabbath at sunset Friday.

Latest F-35 Flaw Makes Jet Problematic for Israel

Wednesday, December 10th, 2014

Not even off the lot, the Lockheed Martin F-35 fighter jet is turning into an even bigger lemon than first anticipated by Israeli politicians who fought the deal forced on the Jewish State with a U.S. military aid package by the White House.

A story published over the weekend on the U.S. Air Force website revealed “the F-35 has a fuel temperature threshold, and may not function properly if the fuel temperature is too high.”

The problem was troubling enough that seven USAF bases are testing new ways to “mitigate any possible aircraft shutdowns due to high fuel temperatures in the future,” according to the report” quoted by Defense Aerospace.com.

So far, one fuel tanker has been painted white – at a cost of $3,900 – at Edwards Air Force Base, California, in an attempt to “ensure the F-35 is able to meet its sortie requirements.”

The same idea was tried at Luke AFB shortly after, according to the report, because at Luke, “temperatures can reach beyond 110 degrees (Farenheit).” It was believed that painting the tanks white would “help prevent fuel stored in the tanks from overheating.”

But some technicians came up with an even better idea: “This is the short-term goal to cool the fuel for the F-35; however, the long-term fix is to have parking shades for the refuelers,” according to Chief Master Sgt. Ralph Resch, the 56th LRS fuels manager for the 56th Logistics Readiness Squadron at Luke Air Force Base, Arizona.

Bright white paint may cool off the fuel tankers but it will heat up a conflict in the Middle East faster than you can say “hot target in sight!”

Moreover, many areas of the Middle East reach beyond 120 degrees Farenheit during the summer months. Needless to say, a summer war is also much easier to fight than one in the winter, even without such encouragement. Add in the disadvantage of a fighter jet whose fuel broils in the sun, and the average enemy force would be silly not to plan for a summer conflict.

Nevertheless, Israel ordered its first lot of 19 of the F-35s in 2010 for $2.75 billion, to be delivered in December 2016.

Earlier this month, the cabinet voted to approve a reduced order to buy an additional 14 of the F-35 Lightning II Joint Strike Fighter jets. Also approved was an option to order another 17 of the warplanes in 2017.

A final deal to purchase a total of 50 of the warplanes for two squadrons was approved by the Israeli government cabinet in October of this year, at a cost well above the original price tag.

A ministerial panel headed by Prime Minister Binyamin Netanyahu and then-Defense Minister Ehud Barak made the initial approval in September 2010 for the purchase of 20 F-35 fighter jets.

That decision was made despite intense opposition from a number of senior defense officials over the high cost of the deal. For a price of nearly $3 billion, Israel would receive the 20 F-35s in 2016, with an option to buy another 75 of the aircraft.

The F-35 already had numerous design compromises at that point that irked Israeli leaders. Many Israeli systems were rejected by the U.S. government, which refused to allow Lockheed Martin to install them on the aircraft.

Because Israel does not have full control over the design and modifications on the F-35, including access to the aircraft’s software codes, its use to the IDF is limited.

By May 2011, Israeli defense officials told the World Tribune the problems with the F-35 were “much worse than we had been told.”

Two months later, the U.S. agreed to allow F-35s purchased by Israel to be rewired in order to accommodate the installation of Israeli electronic warfare system and eventual additions of other sensors and other systems.

Now The War is Over, US Sends Hellfire Missiles to Israel

Sunday, September 28th, 2014

Now that the war has ended with the Hamas terrorist rulers of Gaza, the Obama White House has apparently unclenched its fist and allowed the Pentagon to send Israel some of the Hellfire missiles that were on ‘back order.’

Ammunition used by Israeli tanks and other essential military supplies had also been held up due to a new requirement that any military supplies undergo special review by staff at the State Department and the White House.

The mandate came in mid-August during Operation Protective Edge, while Israel was struggling with half a dozen or more broken cease-fires and more than 300,000 internally displaced citizens fleeing Hamas rocket fire.

The hold on military supplies was dubbed an issue of “bureaucracy” according to a senior military official. A special effort was made to appear as though the process had not been intended to convey disapproval by the Obama administration; but it was clear to most media, at least, that the unprecedented procedure had been instigated by an angry president fuming over Israel’s war with Gaza.

Prime Minister Binyamin Netanyahu is now preparing in New York to address the United Nations General Assembly on Monday and then to meet on Wednesday with President Barack Obama.

The prime minister is planning to “set the record straight” at the United Nations on Monday. It will be interesting to see what happens at his meeting with Obama.

Report: US Sending Indirect Military Aid to Hezbollah

Monday, September 22nd, 2014

The United States has reportedly sent indirect military aid to the Hezbollah terrorist organization, according to information released in a New York Times interview with Hezbollah public relations liaison Mohammed Afif.

The aid, which came in the form of new weapons, was channeled via the Lebanese Army, which closely coordinates with the Hezbollah terrorist group, according to Afif. In addition, U.S. intelligence is being channeled to Hezbollah as well, according to Lebanese sources. This would explain how the terrorist organization was able to pinpoint its first UAV bombing so precisely against the Al Qaeda-linked Jabhat al-Nusra terrorist group, which is not associated with the Islamic State in Iraq and Syria (ISIS) terror group and which in fact currently is fighting against the organization. Al Qaeda has denounced ISIS as “too brutal.”

The assistance to Hezbollah, which appears on America’s list of foreign terrorist organizations, comes in stark contrast to the block placed by the Obama White House on a needed transfer to Israel of Hellfire missiles during this summer’s counter terror Operation Protective Shield in Gaza. The transfer of any weapons and other military hardware to Israel, even routine munitions requests, was temporarily blocked by the State Department and the White House, which required a double signature on any delivery. The hold was released following an intense protest against the action by Congressional leaders on both sides of the aisle. However, any form of American military aid – once a ‘given’ by Israel’s “closest friend and ally” – continues to be scrutinized by President Barack Obama and Secretary of State John Kerry; an unprecedented situation in relations between the two countries.

“We need to open up a new page with world media, with the Arabs and internationally,” Afif told NYT. Hezbollah chief Hassan Nasrallah has referred to the Islamic State in Iraq and Syria (ISIS) as a “monster.” He equated the battle with ISIS as “a battle of life and death no less important than fighting the Israeli enemy, as [its] actions and objectives only serve Israel.”

Afif, meanwhile, has blamed the United States for creating ISIS in the first place by supporting opposition forces in their fight against Syrian President Bashar al-Assad, whom Hezbollah supports with guerrilla fighters. “This beast you which you raised up, as in past cases, you find it’s dangerous for you,” he commented in the report.

While U.S. President Barack Obama has talked about starting air strikes against ISIS in Syria as well as in Iraq – where American attacks have been taking place for several weeks – he has yet to carry out the threat. Both Russia and Iran, which generously supports both Syria and Hezbollah, have warned the U.S. not to venture into Syrian air space without permission from Assad. Since the U.S. has been arming rebels to oppose him, such authorization is unlikely.

White House Releases Weapons Shipment to Israel

Thursday, August 21st, 2014

The White House has unblocked the weapons shipment to Israel that they had recently blocked, according to a report on Israel’s Channel 1 TV. Among the more notable weapon blocked were Hellfire missiles.

The White House blocked the weapons shipment, after learning that Israel had standardized procedures in place to purchase weapons, and didn’t need to go through the White House for any approval.

President Obama reportedly blocked the shipment to show his disapproval of Israel’s actions in Gaza.

Printed from: http://www.jewishpress.com/news/breaking-news/white-house-releases-weapons-shipment-to-israel/2014/08/21/

Scan this QR code to visit this page online: