web analytics
June 29, 2016 / 23 Sivan, 5776

Posts Tagged ‘settlement’

15-Year-Old Must Leave Parents’ Settlement Home on Military Administrative Order

Monday, June 20th, 2016

GOC Home Front Command Chief Maj. Gen. Eyal Eisenberg on Sunday rejected a plea by the parents of a 15-year-old boy who had been ordered to leave his home three weeks ago by an administrative decree, one of the last such decrees issued under former Defense Minister Moshe Ya’alon. Eisenberg ordered the minor to be out of his parents’ home and the community of Yitzhar in Samaria by 9 AM Monday.

The administrative order forbids the minor to set foot in Judea and Samaria, and he must observe a nightly curfew at the home of his grandparents, in Petach Tikvah. When it turned out that the Petach Tikvah address was not available, the minor received a temporary stay, pending the hearing on Sunday this week.

It should be noted that the administrative decree does not specify what past actions of the boy in question merited the expulsion from his home environment, other than a general statement about his being a threat to national security.

At the hearing, attorney Chai Haber from the legal aid society Honenu, told representatives of the Major General that his client had nowhere to go. He noted that it is next to impossible to get anyone to agree to board the minor because police are known to keep a close watch on curfew detainees and pay late-night visits to their addresses, knocking on doors and waking up entire neighborhoods.

The Major General’s response has been that the minor must nevertheless vacate his parents premises by 9 AM as ordered.

The minor’s father said on Monday morning, “My son has nowhere to go, he lives here, his family lives here, it’s inconceivable that one day they’d present him with an order of evacuation. The impact of such an expulsion on a minor are unacceptable. Who will take responsibility? Who will care for my child? The Major General sleeps well with his children in his home while my son is being thrown out to the street. We cannot accept this.”

David Israel

Israelis Kickstart After IDF Wouldn’t Rehab Wounded Soldier Living in Settlement [video]

Sunday, June 5th, 2016

Decorated special forces soldier Sgt. Yehuda Yitzchak Hayisraeli who fought and was critically injured in the 2014 Gaza War, during the courageous attempt to retrieve the late Lt. Hadar Goldin who had been captured and killed by Hamas. Sgt. Yehuda was in a coma for two years, surrounded by his wife and family, who never gave up on him. His son Erez was born and was circumcised while his hero father was still in a coma, an event that focused national attention on the family one more time.

Then a miracle happened and Yehuda came out of the coma, a few months ago. Since then he has been engaged in a grueling and demanding rehab process, where he is re-learning a large variety of basic skills, on the way to full recovery. Eventually the time came for Yehuda to be discharged from the hospital to continue his rehab at home. Like every injured soldier, the defense ministry pays for adjusting his home environment to his rehab needs. But Yehuda is a resident of the community of Ofra in Judea and Samaria, and since the entire region is under a construction freeze in an attempt to please Israel’s many friends in the world, the funds could not be legally transferred to him, no matter how deserving he may be.

The family was dumbfounded at this degree of bureaucratic autism, but a group of Israeli citizens who last week heard about the case in the media decided to come to their aid. They launched a communal fundraising page on the website headstart.co.il, and asked for the equivalent of $156,000, the amount needed to pay for Yehuda’s accommodations. As of Sunday morning, the page has raised $373,061.61 from 7,778 individuals.

On the fundraising page, the organizers have thanked profusely everyone who contributed (including opposition leader MK Isaac Herzog who gave about $300), and declared that the collection will continue, at least until the official expiration time, which is in 26 days. The money will go to provide for Yehuda’s family in the next year or so.

What a wonderful example of community values in face of government deafness. (Click here for an update on the government’s response).

JNi.Media

IDF, Police, Foil Overnight Attempt to Celebrate Independence Day in Ruined Settlement

Thursday, May 12th, 2016

Hundreds of Jewish patriots, including many who had been evicted from the two Jewish villages in Northern Samaria, Homesh and Sa-Nur, back in 2005, on Wednesday night, Israel’s 68th Independence Day, went back to revisit their demolished homes, only to be blocked by military and police forces.

The large group ran into several barricades which had been positioned by IDF soldiers in every possible access road to Sa-Nur, including roads leading from local Arab villages.

The event was planned as a combination celebration/protest, demanding to let Jews return to their old homes, from which they had been exiled by the Sharon government, with tacit approval from then Finance Minister Benjamin Netanyahu. The expulsion of Jews from north Samaria was done at the same time as thousands more Jews were forced out of the Gaza Strip.

The name Sa-Nur is a Hebrew paraphrase of the name of the nearby Arab village Sanur. The Hebrew name was proposed by the late composer/songwriter Naomi Shemer, and it means Carry a Light. The community was established in October 1977 and destroyed on August 23, 2005.

The families and their supporters who tried to return home argued that many who at the time supported the “disengagement” — the laundered name for the forced expulsion of more than 8,000 Jews — today recognize it was an abysmal failure that led to three consecutive wars in Gaza. “There’s no reason, from a security or a moral point of view, not to let the people of Homesh and Sa-Nur come home.”

Indeed, what would better express Israel’s independence than allowing the thriving communities of northern Samaria thrive again.

MK Bezalel Smotrich, who participated in the interrupted event, issued a statement saying, “There is no better fitting day than Independence Day for returning to the settlement of Sa-Nur to celebrate there our state’s independence. No demand is more righteous than the demand of these families. With God’s help, we will merit once more to return to our settlements and renew our independence across the Land of Israel. Happy Independence Day.”

JNi.Media

Ted Cruz Drops Out, Trump Supports Settlement Expansion

Wednesday, May 4th, 2016

Presidential hopeful Ted Cruz is no longer hoping, apparently, as on Tuesday night he dropped out of the race, following a series of losses that culminated in a 54%-37% loss in Indiana to Donald Trump—who also went over the 1,000 delegate hump.

And just to show he could be on the side of the angels, in an interview with The Daily Mail Tuesday, Trump rejected the idea that a Jewish settlement freeze in Judea and Samaria would bring peace between Israelis and Arabs any sooner. Positioning himself squarely opposite Hillary Clinton and the Obama Administration on this subject, he insisted that Israel should continue its construction projects in Judea and Samaria. Trump also declared: “Thousands of missiles being launched into Israel. Who would put up with that? Who would stand for it? I’d love to negotiate peace. But I mean a lasting peace, not a peace that lasts for two weeks and they start launching missiles again.”

Until Indiana, Senator Cruz (R-TX) seemed determined to go all the way to a contested convention in Cleveland this summer, but the losses in five out of five eastern seaboard states and the Indiana defeat apparently had a cumulative effect on the candidate, who no longer saw a path to the nomination for himself.

“From the beginning I’ve said that I would continue on as long as there was a viable path to victory,” Cruz told his campaign workers and fans Tuesday night. “Tonight I’m sorry to say it appears that path has been foreclosed. With a heavy heart but with boundless optimism for the long-term future of our nation, we are suspending our campaign.”

Trump won at least 51 of Indiana’s delegates, giving him 1,047 out of the 1,237 Delegates needed for the Republican nomination. With his chief rival out of the way, Trump is likely to win the 190 delegates he needs to lock the nomination.

It does not mean that Trump is anywhere near easy street come the general elections, with Hillary Clinton leading him by 7 points on average nationally. But Trump has also been the most unpredictable winning candidate in presidential elections history, and 2016 has been the most unpredictable presidential election year in anyone’s memory, so sit back comfortably, order pizza and watch the race with the rest of us.

David Israel

Israel Demolishes Home of Henkins’ Hamas Killer

Tuesday, May 3rd, 2016

IDF soldiers and engineers demolished the family home of Hamas operative Zir Ziyad Jamal Amar on Tuesday.

The family home of Rajeb Ahmed Mohammed Aliwa, the mastermind behind the attack, has already been demolished.

Amar was one of several terrorists in the Hamas cell responsible for the murder of Neria residents Rabbi Eitam and Na’ama Henkin as they traveled a road in Samaria last October.

The couple was shot to death before the horrified eyes of their four children while driving the road between the Jewish communities of Elon Moreh and Itamar.

The children, though badly traumatized, were miraculously not physically harmed.

Israeli security forces hunted down the terrorists involved in the attack – a Hamas cell from the Shechem area – and captured them several days later.

A fund has been set up for the future care of the four orphans who survived the attack.

Hana Levi Julian

Mazal Tov: New Jewish Settlement in Samaria — Evyatar

Tuesday, April 26th, 2016

A group of some 50 Jewish families on Monday launched a new community in Israel, near the Tapuach junction in Samaria. The new community was named Evyatar, in memory of Evyatar Borowski HY”D, a gifted artist who was stabbed to death by an Arab near Tapuach junction in 2013. The settlement is intended as a call to the Netanyahu government to go back to starting new Jewish villages and towns in Judea and Samaria.

The Army approved the overnight stay of the settlers of Evyatar, who agreed to be evacuated the next day, with a commitment to come back in the near future.

The new settlement of Evyatar / Source: Facebook

The new settlement of Evyatar / Source: Facebook

Immediately following the murder, then Samaria Council Head Gershon Mesika moved his office to the site, only to be removed by order of the Defense Minister. The site continued to be visited by Israelis who cherished the memory of Borowski, who was in his early 30s when he was murdered, leaving a wife and five children.

Shmuel Gazit, member of the new settlement, told Srugim the government has been enforcing a harsh policy of settlement freezing which threatens the future of Jewish life in the region. The new settlement will serve as a battering ram against this policy and help break through the blockade imposed on Judea and Samaria.

The year 2016 marks the 40th anniversary of Jewish settlements in Samaria. The ceremony at Evyatar Monday night included Yossi Dagan, the new head of the Council, Chief Rabbi of Samaria Rav Elyakim Levanon, and Rabbi David Dudkevitz.

The new settlement of Evyatar / Source: Facebook

The new settlement of Evyatar / Source: Facebook

“We call on the lovers of Israel to come and support our settlement,” Gazit said, adding, “We aspire to reach the stage where thousands of men, women and children will tell the Israeli government, We’ll stay here until you approve erecting a new settlement. Such a national reawakening will have the power to break through the existing blockade around Judea and Samaria, leading to a new wave of settlements across the region.”

JNi.Media

Israel’s Wine Guide Boycotts Judea and Samaria Wineries

Wednesday, December 16th, 2015

(JNi.media) When Vered Ben Saadon, owner of the Tura winery in Rehelim, Samaria, approached the editors of The New Israeli Wine Guide, the Israeli wine lovers’ bible with reviews of more than 90 wines by 40 different wineries, she was told her wines would not be included, for political reasons, Israel’s Channel 2 News reported Tuesday.

According to Channel 2, a Guide co-editor told Ben Saadon, “Look, I hate to tell you this, but our policy has not changed since last year.”

She said, “Which basically means that because we’re, like, from this region [Judea and Samaria], then it won’t work?” The co-editor confirmed. She asked, “By the way, the Golan Heights is inside?” and was told, “The Golan Heights is inside.”

Of course, if the guide were to exclude the Golan wineries it would have been a very thin book, without industry stars like Yarden and Gamla.

“In other words, only Judea and Samaria is out?” Ben Saadon insisted, and the co-editor confirmed.

The wine industry is flourishing in Judea and Samaria, where many wineries have started up. The area is considered ideal for growing grapes and area vineyards have been awarded prestigious prizes in international competitions.

Ben Saadoun established the Tura winery together with her husband 13 years ago. Since then, their wines have won numerous awards in Israel and abroad, but they find it difficult to reach new customers in Israel because of discrimination—their winery is located on the wrong side the 1949 armistice line, a.k.a. the green line.

Tura is not the only winery boycotted by the guide. Another vintner, from Ofra, who spoke to one of the co-editors, received the same response: “Unfortunately we are not tasting in wineries across the green line.”

The co-editors of The New Israeli Wine Guide are sommelier Gal Zohar and Yair Gath, the wine critic of Israel Hayom, which is considered a right-leaning newspaper. They told Channel 2 News they have no doubt about the high quality of Judea and Samaria wines, they just don’t wish to include them.

One co-editor told Vered Ben Saadon, “These wines are excellent and it’s a wonderful area and you do great work and everything, but you know, with everything around, it puts us in a problematic situation.”

Ben Saadon said, “I understand. And there’s no chance of that if we meet it would change anything?”

The co-editor said, “I don’t believe it would.”

Ben Saadon told Channel 2 News, “I’m, like, upset because we’re like beyond the green line it disqualifies us from entering the book.”

One of the editors, Yair Gath, told Channel 2 News, “This is a personal project, not funded by anybody, and it’s our full right to choose who will participate in it and who will not, and we chose not to take in wines from the territories. Why? Because we think it’s wrong.”

JNi.Media

Printed from: http://www.jewishpress.com/news/breaking-news/israels-wine-guide-boycotts-judea-and-samaria-wineries/2015/12/16/

Scan this QR code to visit this page online: