web analytics
April 21, 2015 / 2 Iyar, 5775
At a Glance

Posts Tagged ‘border’

Egypt Security Forces Kill 2 Smugglers at Israel’s Southern Border

Tuesday, February 10th, 2015

Egyptian security forces opened fire Tuesday morning and killed two cross-border smugglers who apparently tried to bring “illegal goods” into Israel, security sources said.

According to Channel 10, which quoted an IDF source, bags of illegal drugs were found near the scene where smugglers crossing the border from Egypt were met by a second set of smugglers on the Israeli side.

It is not clear which smugglers were hit by the Egyptian gunfire, nor have the identities of any of the smugglers been made clear.

IDF soldiers reportedly fired warning shots after hearing the gunfire near the border town of Nitzana, and are investigating reports of smugglers being wounded in the shootout with Egyptian security personnel.

IDF soldiers have also recovered the bodies of the two dead smugglers. An investigation into the incident is underway.

Despite numerous efforts to plug the holes in the Israel’s long Sinai border with Egypt, incidents like this are not uncommon.

Of more concern to the security establishments in both nations are the efforts of regional terrorist proxies for Iran and now Daesh (Islamic State in Iraq and Syria) to move weapons, ammunition, money and operatives themselves) across the border as well.

Egypt Doubles Gaza Buffer Zone

Monday, January 5th, 2015

Egypt has begun construction to expand its buffer zone from 500 meters to a kilometer wide, along the border with Gaza, as it continues its war on terror in the Sinai Peninsula.

Numerous terrorist groups had already made themselves comfortable in the wide expanses of Sinai when Muslim Brotherhood-backed Mohammed Morsi became the first democratically-elected president of Egypt. He was deposed a year later by the military after more than a million citizens protested the hardline Islamist government.

During Morsi’s one-year tenure numerous terrorist groups flocked to the region and set up training and operations bases — including Al Qaeda, Hezbollah, Hamas, Palestinian Islamic Jihad and others. The local Ansar Bayt al-Maqdis, originally linked to Al Qaeda, recently swore allegiance to the Islamic State in Iraq and Syria (ISIS) terrorist group.

Originally, the buffer zone was cleared in February 2014 to 300 meters in urban areas. It was 500 meters wide in rural areas.

Security sources told the Palestinian Ma’an news agency some 1,200 houses in the area are to be evacuated and demolished.

Homeowners will be reimbursed by the government, however.

Each homeowner is to receive 1,500 Egyptian pounds ($209) to cover rentals for the next three months, said North Sinai district governor Abd al-Fattah Harhour.

In addition, for each square meter of cement, each family will receive 1,200 pounds $167.) The government will add 700 pounds ($97) for each square meter of the house based on the bearing wall system, Harhour said.

The Egyptian government has been actively destroying smuggling tunnels under the border created by Gaza’s ruling Hamas terrorists. Hamas was spawned by Egypt’s outlawed radical Islamist Muslim Brotherhood.

Israel Warns Hamas: ‘We Will Respond to Attacks — Forcefully”

Wednesday, December 24th, 2014

Gaza’s ruling Hamas terrorists received a blizzard of grim warnings Wednesday after a sniper attack launched a major battle with IDF soldiers guarding those working on the security fence near Kibbutz Nirim and Nir Oz.

Despite a blustery response, the terror group was also not entirely stupid: its commanders have once again begun to head underground into hiding, anticipating Israeli retaliation for their actions and forcing Gaza’s civilian human shields to live with the consequences.

Speaking at the Calcalist Conference, IDF Chief of Staff Benny Gantz said Israeli forces “responded appropriately and we will act in an appropriate and powerful manner as any incident demands.”

Gantz added there is a possibility “events will deteriorate and develop into a significant incident.”

Referencing links between Iranian-backed Hamas, Palestinian Islamic Jihad, Al Qaeda-linked Salafi Army of Islam in Gaza and the Jabhat al Nusra terror group in Syria, and the Lebanon-based Hezbollah terrorist organization, Gantz also noted a “strong possibility of a connection between fronts – that an incident in the north will influence an incident in the south.”

“We will respond with force every time there is an attempt to disturb the quiet that was attained in the south after Operation Protective Edge,” Prime Minister Binyamin Netanyahu said in a statement following the battle.

His statement was backed up by a similar warning from Strategic Affairs and Intelligence Minister Yuval Steinitz. “Hamas needs to understand that if it continues to undermine the security situation on the Gaza border, it risks a harsh Israeli response, which could turn into a comprehensive military campaign to demolish its government and military infrastructure,” Steinitz said.

The Hamas Izz a-Din al-Qassam military wing later issued its own statement from Gaza, accusing Israel of a “dangerous violation and a crossing of all red lines, as well as playing with fire… The enemy alone bears the responsibility of the repercussions of its uncalculated actions.

“It seems that this murderous enemy has not learned the hard lessons it was dealt by the resistance in the past. The enemy thinks that our people and the resistance are tired or exhausted after the last war,” the terror group added.

An allied terrorist organization, the Popular Resistance Movement, warned Israel would pay a ‘heavy price’ for killing one of its top commanders.

The clash began with a Hamas sniper’s bullet fired into the chest of an Israeli soldier on patrol. It led to an intense battle that included shelling from IDF tanks and Israeli air strikes as well.

Taysir al-Samiri 33, commander of the Hamas al-Qassam Brigades surveillance unit was killed in the battle, the terror group confirmed. Two other Gazans were also wounded, according to local medics.

But, “As a result of the attack, an IDF combat soldier from the Bedouin Reconnaissance Battalion suffered a severe chest injury,” the IDF said in a statement. The soldier was airlifted to Soroka Medical Center in Be’er Sheva and his family was notified. He is listed in critical condition.

United Nations deputy Mideast envoy James Rawley has meanwhile expressed “concern” over the deteriorating situation on the Gaza border.

Carefully walking a tightrope of “neutrality” Rawley’s statement urged all parties to maintain and reinforce the August 26 “cease-fire” that ended Operation Protective Edge – but has already been broken by Hamas numerous times since then.

Rawley said in his statement that he is “deeply concerned by reports of exchange of fire between Palestinian militants and the IDF in the southern Gaza Strip today, which resulted in casualties on both sides.

“This follows a series of armed incidents since the end of November,” he noted – without pointing out that the “armed incidents” were actually unprovoked attacks launched solely by Gaza terrorists at Israelis.

Egypt Evacuates Residents to Create Buffer Along Gaza Border

Wednesday, October 29th, 2014

Egypt is evacuating thousands of its residents from the Sinai side of the Gaza border in order to form a buffer zone.

The Egyptian government declared a state of emergency in the area after last week’s attack in which 31 soldiers were killed by the Ansar Bayt al-Maqdis, a terror group linked to Al Qaeda and the Islamic State in Iraq and Syria (ISIS) terrorist organization.

Egyptians began moving from the area on Wednesday in accordance with military orders issued by the government.

The planned buffer zone is intended to block terrorists and smugglers, government officials told Egyptian media.

They keys to 62 homes were handed over to military officials by their owners on Wednesday (Oct. 29) in the town of Rafah, which straddles the border with Gaza.

According to international media, Egypt plans to expel families living in 880 homes along the northern Sinai border with Gaza.

That means that some 10,000 Egyptians will be left homeless, or at the least, displaced by the expulsion. The number is comparable to the number of Israelis expelled in the 2005 Disengagement from the Gush Katif region of Gaza and northern Samaria.

As was the case in Israel, the Egyptian government has promised financial compensation to those who were displaced – but residents have yet to see the money.

Unlike Israel, however, residents were given very short notice to pack up and leave their homes within the 13 kilometer area (8 miles).

Updates from Kuneitra, Syria [video]

Friday, August 29th, 2014

Syrian rebels groups captured the Syrian side of the Kuneitra crossing point between Syria and Israel, and Israeli officials and the IDF are very concerned by both the capture of the crossing along Israel’s border, as well as the advancement of ISIS within the Syria.

But not to worry, it appears that the Deputy Commander of one of the Syrian Rebel groups, a Lieutenant Abu Zid of the Nasser Tzalach A-Din force, passed on a message via YouTube to Israel, stating they will respect all international agreements (at least as far as we can understand his message).

In the first YouTube video, we see Abu Zid’s group of rebels touring the captured crossing.

But not everything is roses in Kuneitra, as we can see in another YouTube video, a different group of Rebels, these from the Jerusalem Islamic Liberation group, which, despite the ISIS flag, may simply be radical Islamists, and not actual ISIS members (but who can really tell, these days), also sent a message from Kuneitra yesterday.

It’s only a guess, but their message just looks and sounds slightly little less friendly. Maybe its just because of the name of their band of merry fellows.

Here’s another video from Kuneitra, this time of some of the battles, from what appears to be yet another different group of Islamic rebels (Jabath a-Nutzra, linked to Al Qaida):

The Syrian news site Al-Hayat is reporting that the UN troops from the Philippines have not been captured, have not put down their weapons, and are prepared to defend their position. The standoff is tense between the Filipino UN soldiers and the Syrian Rebels. There are between 75-81 Filipino troops still defending 2 UN positions.

I don’t know if these Filipino soldiers have restored any honor to the UN, but the people of the Philippines should know that they have soldiers they can and should be be proud of.

A Syrian Facebook page claims that some of the Syrian Army soldiers claimed sanctuary in one of the abandoned UN position, and the rebels haven’t managed to break through yet.

h/t NVIZ

2 Children Wounded in Katyusha Attack from Lebanon

Sunday, August 24th, 2014

Two 5-year-old children in the western Galilee northern Israel suffered shrapnel wounds Saturday night in a Katyusha rocket attack from southern Lebanon. They were treated on the scene before they were taken to hospital, where they are both listed in good condition.

Eight other people were also taken to hospital to be treated for shock. In addition, 13 others were treated on site for trauma and anxiety.

All told, 23 people were hurt in the attack.

It is not clear which terrorist organization launched the attack. But Lebanese authorities have tracked down the source of the launch to the town of Dheira, close to two miles (three kilometers) north of the border with Israel. Lebanese security officials said they spotted Israeli helicopters during the day flying across the border.

This is not the first time a rocket has been fired at Israel from Lebanon during this summer’s Operation Protective Edge. At least nine rockets were fired at Israel in mid-July. Lebanese military officials said at the time they believed a small Palestinian Arab terror group was acting in solidarity with Hamas.

About five minutes after Saturday night’s Lebanese Katyusha attack, terrorists in Gaza launched a massive missile barrage at central and southern Israel.

Among all the other rockets and missiles that were flying, three Grad missiles were aimed at Be’er Sheva. Two hit a residential area of the city, damaging an apartment building. The third missile hit an unoccupied car in a parking lot.

An older couple hurried but found themselves unable to reach a bomb shelter in time; both sustained shrapnel wounds. They were treated on the scene and then taken to Soroka Medical Center, where they are listed in good condition. A number of others were treated for trauma and anxiety following the attack.

The Iron Dome anti-missile defense battery intercepted a missile fired from Gaza that was headed straight for Petah Tikvah. Another Iron Dome team intercepted missiles headed for Sderot and two locations in central Israel.

IDF Chief Tries to Reassure Southerners, ‘It’s Safe to Go Home’

Thursday, August 7th, 2014

IDF and Israeli government officials are doing their best to convince southern residents that it’s safe now to return home to Gaza Belt communities.

But Hamas assurances that the terror group intends to resume its rocket and mortar fire promptly at 8 am Friday, combined with the limited technology that has made it impossible for the Code Red alerts to detect incoming mortar shelling from Gaza, raise serious questions in the minds of the residents who say they are the ones who are placing their lives and those of their children on the line.

A lot of Israelis are not buying the government reassurances; nearly 60 percent of those who live along the Gaza border, in fact, says Yair Farjun, head of the Ashkelon Coastal Region council.

Still, IDF Chief of Staff Lt-Gen. Benny Gantz gave it his best shot on Wednesday. Gantz told reporters at a briefing there is “devastation in Gaza, and guilt for the tragedy rests on Hamas leaders,” who he described as “hiding in their basements.”

Gantz stressed that although some 30,000 reservists had been discharged and were returning to their homes, some 55,000 IDF soldiers were still remaining in a staging area outside the Gaza border.

“I am convinced the residents can return to their houses, work their fields, live well here just as it was before,” he said. “Just as there was peace here before, it will be even quieter after,” he sought to reassure.

“The IDF is not going anywhere. It remains to protect people, to do what is necessary, to seek the next challenge. Together with our citizens we will continue to improve security in this area,” he said.

Hamas officials in Cairo threatened Wednesday night to resume rocket fire at 8 am on Friday unless there is “significant progress” in the cease fire negotiations, Israel’s Channel 10 reported Thursday.

Israel reportedly offered generous terms in the talks, according to an Egyptian source who spoke with a Hebrew-language Israeli newspaper. But Israeli representatives refused to compromisee on the issue of disarming terrorist groups in Gaza, the source said.

Printed from: http://www.jewishpress.com/news/breaking-news/idf-chief-tries-to-reassure-southerners-its-safe-to-go-home/2014/08/07/

Scan this QR code to visit this page online: