web analytics
May 27, 2015 / 9 Sivan, 5775
At a Glance
News & Views
Sponsored Post


Cyber Attacks Feared Against Major Israeli Websites

JERUSALEM – Reports are circulating that in the days leading up to Yom HaShoah – to be commemorated this year in Israel next Monday – a group of global cyber-terrorists, many of its members based in Arab countries across North Africa and the Persian Gulf, are readying for major cyber attacks against a large number of important Israeli websites. Being targeted are banks, credit card companies, telecom outlets and government ministries.

Additionally, Israel’s intelligence community is concerned about the possibility that hackers might then launch a second cyber attack the next week during the nation’s Yom Ha’Atzmaut celebrations.

According to a report in Israel Hayom the coordinated attack, dubbed OpIsrael, is part of a global effort to unite several anti-Israel hacking groups, including Anonymous and AnonGhost, “as one entity and wipe the Jewish state’s presence off of the Internet.” One of the AnonGhost cyber-terrorists, whose moniker is “Mauritania Attacker,” said that the hacking blitz would be the “largest operation” ever launched against any nation. Hundreds of Israeli websites were attacked by hackers from Anonymous during last year’s IDF Operation Pillar of Defense against Hamas and Islamic Jihad terror groups in Gaza.

Israeli websites have endured thousands of attacks during the past year. Though the sites have been quickly repaired and guarded with new defensive “firewalls,” a high-ranking executive from one of the country’s elite cyber security firms told Israel Hayom that the cyber-terrorists’ skills are “increasing” but have yet to reach the catastrophic stage. However, there is a growing concern among local cell phone company owners that sophisticated hackers could unexpectedly disrupt nationwide service at a critical juncture.

Over the past few months, several mysterious incidents caused hundreds of thousands of cell phone customers from two of Israel’s largest providers to suddenly lose connectivity for periods of several hours. While the cell phone companies have denied they were hacked, company executives refused to provide consumers with a cogent explanation for the loss of service. (A large number of Israel’s government and military personnel are contracted with the country’s largest cell phone providers.)

Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu recently authorized a budget for the creation of a new ultra-advanced cyber warfare division culled from various secret computer warfare units, which have been in existence within the IDF bureaucracy since the 1990s. Some of these top- secret units have reportedly been responsible for taking the initiative against potential cyber-terrorist operations. It is believed that these units have attempted to infiltrate into government and military installations in Lebanon, Syria and Iran in order to thwart potential threats against Israel.

Despite Israel’s advanced cyber-security capabilities, many websites and regular Internet users are still vulnerable to attacks. The cyber-terrorists try to infect websites with “Trojan Horse” viruses that are inadvertently downloaded into home- or office-based computers (end-users). Israeli cyber-security professionals have told their business clients and individual users that until the threat passes, they should refrain from visiting well-known sites that could be hacked.

About the Author:


If you don't see your comment after publishing it, refresh the page.

Our comments section is intended for meaningful responses and debates in a civilized manner. We ask that you respect the fact that we are a religious Jewish website and avoid inappropriate language at all cost.

If you promote any foreign religions, gods or messiahs, lies about Israel, anti-Semitism, or advocate violence (except against terrorists), your permission to comment may be revoked.

No Responses to “Cyber Attacks Feared Against Major Israeli Websites”

Comments are closed.

Current Top Story
Islamic Republic of Iran Broadcasting Organization President Mohammad Sarafraz.
US Claims ‘No More Extensions’ on Nuclear Talks with Iran
Latest News Stories
Islamic Republic of Iran Broadcasting Organization President Mohammad Sarafraz.

The US decides “no more extensions” as international nuclear talks with Iran come down to the wire.

Former Prisoner of Zion Natan Sharansky serves today as the Jewish Agency for Israel's Chairman of the Executive.

Jewish Agency Chairman Natan Sharansky expresses his firm support for Efrat Chief Rabbi Shlomo Riskin.

Elephants in the Water

With temperatures soaring, everyone is getting in the water…

Russian S-300 surface-to-air missile systems deployed in a military exercise.

Russia closed its deal Monday to deliver the powerful S-300 missile defense system to Iran… eventually.

Flash floods and more rain in Texas means a rising death toll and desperate people searching in kayaks.

Perhaps surprisingly, the Netanyahu government voted Wednesday to form a new ministerial committee on Arab affairs.

Shurat HaDin calls for expulsion of PA soccer chief Rajoub for inciting terror – hours before Swiss arrests of FIFA officials for various charges of corruption.

Rabbi Riskin believes the Rabbinate must be prepared to accept Halachic decisions that aren’t Ultra-Orthodox.

The case also called for banning the sale of French satire magazine Charlie Hebdo and the Liberation newspaper in Egypt over “blasphemy against Prophet Mohamed.”

Saed Erekat: Israel first must agree to all of our terms before we negotiate.

The temperature is expected to reach extreme levels today, drink water.

“In the chaos of the conflict… Hamas…granted its security forces free rein to carry out horrific abuse, amounting to war crimes.”

The Israeli Air Force responded to a rocket attack from Gaza by striking terrorist sites within the Strip.

Information on more than 100,000 US taxpayers was stolen by hackers who breached the IRS.

Hamas terrorist leaders are hiding again as Israel considers a response to Tuesday’s rocket attack.

“In the chaos of the conflict… Hamas…granted its security forces free rein to carry out horrific abuse, amounting to war crimes.”

More Articles from Steve K. Walz
: Israeli soldiers leave Gaza late Monday. A three-day cease-fire brokered by Egypt put an end, at least temporarily, to the fighting. See story, above.

As of Tuesday, all IDF forces operating in Gaza withdrew and redeployed to holding positions around Gaza.

Walz-080114-Map

The operation against the tunnels is a first and necessary step in the demilitarization of the Gaza Strip.

The sophisticated cement tunnels, which cost hundreds of millions of dollars, were reportedly built with Qatari government funds.

Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu told the nation on Tuesday afternoon that if the rocket fire did not stop by Tuesday evening, he would order “an even harsher” military response.

“They were abducted and murdered in cold blood by human animals,” Netanyahu said shortly after the bodies were found.

Awad had been released as part of the Gilad Shalit kidnapping deal. Mizrachi’s widow, Hadas, told Israeli reporters that she had opposed the release of murderers as part of any kidnapping deal, and that Awad “deserved the death penalty so he wouldn’t kill again.”

If the abductors’ goal was to force Israeli authorities to release long-serving Palestinian prisoners, the effort backfired as Israeli forces are quickly rolling up what was left of Hamas in the West Bank and are reportedly contemplating the overthrow of the Hamas leadership in Gaza should harm come to the three teenagers.

Netanyahu brushed aside Lapid’s political threats, saying that he was either too politically inexperienced or unaware of the true nature of the peace negotiations with Abbas.

Printed from: http://www.jewishpress.com/news/israel/cyber-attacks-feared-against-major-israeli-websites/2013/04/04/

Scan this QR code to visit this page online: