web analytics
January 29, 2015 / 9 Shevat, 5775
 
At a Glance
News & Views
Sponsored Post


Quick Takes: News From Israel You May Have Missed

Prime Minister Ehud Olmert has given Jordan permission to build a large minaret adjacent to a mosque on the Temple Mount to call Muslims to prayer at the holy site. The minaret will stand at a site on the Mount where Jewish groups here had petitioned to build a synagogue.

A minaret is a tower usually attached to a mosque from which Muslims are called to the five Islamic daily prayers.

There are four minarets on the Temple Mount, the holiest site in Judaism. The new minaret will be the largest one yet. It will be the first built on the Temple Mount in over 600 years and is slated to tower 130 feet above the walls of Jerusalem’s old city. It will reside next to the Al-Marwani Mosque, located at the site of Solomon’s Stables.

Aryeh Eldad, a Knesset member from Israel’s National Union party, last year drew up plans with Jewish groups to build a synagogue near the Marwani Mosque. The synagogue was to be built in accordance with rulings from several prominent rabbis, who said Jews can ascend the Mount at certain areas.

A top leader of the Wakf – the Islamic custodians of the Mount – told WorldNetDaily that Olmert’s granting of permission to build the minaret in the synagogue’s place “confirms 100-percent that the Haram al-Sharif [Temple Mount] belongs to Muslims.”

“This proves Jewish conspiracies for a synagogue will never succeed and solidifies our presence here. It will make Muslims worldwide more secure that the Jews will never take over the Haram al-Sharif,” the Wakf official said.

Rice Ripped For ‘Resistance Movement’ Remark

A U.S. Jewish group this week demanded that Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice immediately retract remarks she made during a press conference in Europe two weeks ago in which she called Hamas a “resistance movement.”

In speaking to reporters in Berlin on Jan. 18, Rice commented on the situation of Palestinians prior to 2000, saying, “You had Hamas, of course, sitting out as a resistance movement, not at all, by the way, involved in the politics at all.”

Rice’s comments went largely unreported by the American media.

Hamas is classified by the State Department as a terror organization and is responsible for  scores of suicide bombings and shooting and rocket attacks that have killed more than 500 Israelis and 27 Americans.

A State Department spokesman claimed Rice “forgot” to use the word terrorist when describing Hamas during her Berlin press briefing. But the Zionist Organization of America wants more. It has asked Rice to clarify her remarks and apologize to Hamas’s terror victims.

“Calling Hamas a resistance group and not a radical Islamic terror group which murders Jews and calls for the destruction of Israel seems to reveal that Rice may have some sympathy for Hamas’s cause,” ZOA President Mort Klein said.

One top Jewish leader told WND he was “horrified” Rice called Hamas a resistance group, but said his organization would not comment because he didn’t want to upset his relationship with the State Department. Several other prominent U.S. Jewish groups refused to comment on Rice’s statement.

Known Terrorist On Abbas’s Guard Unit

A well-known terrorist has been discovered by this column to be working for Palestinian Authority President Mahmoud Abbas’s Force 17 presidential guard unit.

Abbas has long claimed that his presidential guard, which receives large sums of U.S. aid and weapons, is not infiltrated by terror organizations.

Hamas last week ambushed a Force 17 convoy that the terror group claimed was transporting American weapons delivered to militias associated with Abbas’s Fatah party. Four Force 17 officers were killed.

The Islamic Jihad terror group told this column that among those killed serving with Force 17 was Nidal Tlaa, the chief commander of Islamic Jihad’s so-called military wing.

“Our commander Nidal Tlaa was serving with Force 17. He was killed when Hamas ambushed the Fatah convoy,” said Abu Muhammad, Islamic Jihad’s spokesman.

Islamic Jihad sources said Tlaa was wearing a Force 17 uniform when he was shot by Hamas gunmen while protecting Fatah convoys.

Egyptian Forces Aided Suicide Bombing?

Israel and Egypt are studying the possibility that the Palestinian terrorist who carried out last week’s suicide bombing in Eilat was aided in entering the Jewish state by Egyptian security forces.

Israeli authorities say the suicide bomber, who originated in the Gaza Strip, entered Israel from Egypt, which runs alongside long sections of Israel and also borders Gaza.

According to Egyptian security sources speaking to WND, Egyptian authorities this month discovered 17 cases of Egyptian guards aiding infiltrators into Israel. They say in most cases the guards were paid off and were either not aware of the infiltrators’ intentions for entering Israel, or were told the intentions were for employment or studies.

A Palestinian security official said Egypt found “many, many more cases this month [of guards aiding infiltration into Israel] than the 17 they admit to.”

The Egyptian sources said that only in “small numbers” of cases during the past year did they discover Egyptian forces who knowingly collaborated with Palestinian terror groups.

But Israeli security sources say it is “impossible” for the vast quantity of weapons that regularly flows into Gaza from the Egyptian Sinai desert to reach the territory without at least the tacit knowledge of Egyptian forces in the Sinai.

“We’re talking about extremely sophisticated smuggling rings that bring large quantities of weapons from Egypt into Gaza, in some previous cases even in convoy trucks. Don’t tell me Egyptian forces don’t know,” said an Israeli security official.
 
Aaron Klein is Jerusalem bureau chief for WorldNetDaily.com. He appears throughout the week on leading American radio programs.

About the Author: Aaron Klein is a New York Times bestselling author and senior reporter for WND.com. He is also host of an investigative radio program on New York's 970 AM Radio on Sundays from 7 to 9 p.m. Eastern. His website is KleinOnline.com.


If you don't see your comment after publishing it, refresh the page.

Our comments section is intended for meaningful responses and debates in a civilized manner. We ask that you respect the fact that we are a religious Jewish website and avoid inappropriate language at all cost.

If you promote any foreign religions, gods or messiahs, lies about Israel, anti-Semitism, or advocate violence (except against terrorists), your permission to comment may be revoked.

No Responses to “Quick Takes: News From Israel You May Have Missed

Comments are closed.

SocialTwist Tell-a-Friend

Current Top Story
Hezbollah rocket headed for Haifa in the Second Lebanon War in 2006.
Israel Won’t Go to War against Hezbollah because It Can’t Win [video]
Latest News Stories
Hezbollah rocket headed for Haifa in the Second Lebanon War in 2006.

“Not wanting to stir things up in the north” means “Yes, we could bomb them to kingdom come, but. no, we won’t.”

US State Department spokesperson Jen Psaki.

The US condemns Hezbollah’s attack on “IDF forces” but never mentions civilians or terror. Why not?

Canadian Foreign Minister John Baird.

Canada comes out in strong support of Israel as it faces another threat from Iranian Mideast proxy, Hezbollah.

Manot Skulls 1

Professor Israel Hershkovitz (above) of the David-Manot Cave project compares a Neanderthal skull (L) and a Homo Sapiens skull (R), outside the excavation cave in Manot, Western Galilee in Northern Israel, on January 28, 2015. Archaeologists discovered a 55,000-year-old human skull in the Manot cave, which is the earliest fossilized evidence of an anatomically modern human […]

Five IDF soldiers are in Ziv Hospital in Tzefat…

9:31pm The Mt. Hermon ski resort on the Golan Heights will be open for business tomorrow morning — having receiving permission from the IDF. 8:03pm Channel 2 reports that Hezbollah terror cell was located 5 kilometers from Israel, and not within Israel as originally thought.Soldiers in 2nd vehicle were saved after they jumped out of […]

Prime Minister Binyamin Netanyahu announced Wednesday night that “whoever is behind today’s attack will pay the full price.”

The Gazans are protesting the freeze in the money transfer from the UN for rehabilitating their region.

Rivlin returning early to Israel from US trip due to situation in northern Israel.

The soldiers were part of an IDF convoy that was using a civilian road, one that hundreds of civilians use on a daily basis.

The GOC Northern Command declares Israel’s northern border with Syria in the Golan Heights to be a closed military zone.

The names of the IDF soldiers killed by Hezbollah at Mount Dov on Wednesday have been released for publication.

Lebanese Hezbollah supporters celebrate IDF deaths Wednesday by giving sweets to motorists.

Two IDF soldiers were killed by Iranian-backed Hezbollah in the most serious attack on Israel since the start of Syria’s civil war.

Soldiers hit in missile attack were patrolling in non-armored jeeps.

Printed from: http://www.jewishpress.com/news/breaking-news/quick-takes-news-from-israel-you-may-have-missed-65/2007/02/07/

Scan this QR code to visit this page online: