Binyamin (TPS) – Israeli authorities recently arrested an Arab who stabbed and wounded a police officer in December, 2013 near the Israeli community of Geva Binyamin, the Shin Bet cleared for publication on Monday morning.
The suspect, 21-year-old Mohammed Younis Ali Abu-Hanak from Al-Abidiya near Bethlehem, was arrested almost three years after the attack.
Abu-Hanak revealed under questioning that his motive for committing the attack was to put an end to his hard life.
The investigation also revealed that Abu-Hanak purchased a kitchen knife on the morning of the attack and hid it inside his jacket. He boarded a taxi from Ramallah to Bethlehem in order to choose a random target for his attack. He decided to attack a policeman who was standing at a roundabout near the Jewish community of Geva Binyamin and the Palestinian Authority village of Jaba’.
Abu-Hanak exited the taxi, approached the policeman, and stabbed him once in the back, inflicting moderate injuries. He then fled the scene and managed to evade the authorities for two and a half years before finally being apprehended.
The Shin Bet said in a statement that it will “continue to operate with all its available resources to prevent terror attacks and to bring the perpetrators to justice, even when a long time has gone by since the attack was committed.”
“Inside the darkness of the terrorist attack, two Arab residents acted and supported the rescue of the family until the arrival of Israeli forces (about ten minutes), and these actions contributed significantly to prevent an even more tragic harm,” Damari wrote.
According to Damari’s account, the first rescuer arrived seconds after the attack and started prying the doors open with a jack, releasing and bringing out the children, and freeing the mother from the stranglehold of her safety belt. He then stood guard to make sure no one hurt or kidnap them, despite the dozens of drivers who stopped, threatened him, and demanded that he stop caring for the Jews.
Damari noted that this Arab rescuer was later fired from his job as a reprimand for saving Jews.
Moments later, an Arab doctor who was on his way to Jerusalem stopped at the attack site and provided first aid to the injured. He left only after the EMT units had arrived.
“I met with [the first rescuer] and he asked me to help remove the rejection of his work permit request,” Damari wrote. “I sent a letter this week to the Defense Minister, asking for his assistance in providing work permits to both men. I’ve met them, and I’m familiar with the objective difficulties [in issuing them the work permits], but I believe that it is our duty as a Jewish nation to show our gratitude to people who behave like human beings as expected of them in such cases.”
“This time, more than any other, we must boost the positive forces and deliver a clear message that a positive and normative behavior will result in a positive and normative reward on our part,” Damari added.
Terror victim Chavi Mark is recuperating after having undergone complex brain surgery Monday, the latest in a series of medical procedures needed to keep her alive.
She is listed in good condition at Hadassah Ein Kerem Medical Center in Jerusalem, where she is reported by Neurosurgery Department chairman Professor Yigal Shushan to be “completely conscious, alert and communicating with everyone.”
The Otniel resident was ambushed by a Hamas cell with her husband, Rabbi Michael Mark and their two teen children last month while driving along Route 60 in the Hebron Hills a few hours before the Sabbath.
“The Mark family wants to thank the public for the support shown to them and Chavi, and the prayers for her health,” the doctor said. But the family has also asked well-wishers to refrain from visiting for the time being, until Mrs. Mark grows stronger.
Israeli security personnel, IDF soldiers, Israeli Border Guard officers and Israel Police have been involved in extensive operations to track down and arrest the terrorists involved in the attack.
The Da’esh (ISIS) terrorist organization claimed responsibility on Sunday for the vicious machete attack Saturday afternoon against two female police officers in the Belgian city of Charleroi.
The group’s Amaq News Agency quoted an unidentified source who said the attack came “in response to calls to target citizens” from the nations who participate in the U.S. coalition conducting air strikes against ISIS in Syria and Iraq.
Belgium has opened a terrorism probe into the attack, one of a string of radical Islamist assaults on members of the European Union.
The 33-year-old terrorist, an Algerian national, yelled “Allahu Akbar!” (God is Great, in Arabic) as he swung the machete at the face of the first police officer, cutting her deeply.
The second victim, who also sustained wounds to her face, was not as seriously wounded, having had enough time to muster defenses to fight off the attacker. In addition, a third officer opened fire, shooting and ultimately killing the terrorist.
Both police officers were standing at the entrance of a police station around 4 pm local time (11 am NY time) when the terrorist walked up to them carrying a sports bag. He pulled the machete from his bag and began hacking at the officers.