April 19, 2014 / 19 Nisan, 5774
Spa 1.2 Combining Modern Living in Traditional Jerusalem

A unique and prestigious residential project in now being built in Mekor Haim Street in Jerusalem.

100 Jewish Teens Kicked off a Plane: a Teaching Moment

Anyone who read this news story probably had the same thought I had: what a chillul Hashem.
Jewish high school students have been kicked

Share Button

I will never forget watching my elementary school principal pick food out of the trash and thinking I hope he doesn’t find my lunch. I was a picky eater (I still am) and the principal was a Holocaust survivor.

He was a principal that did not use classroom management techniques to get our attention because he did not need to.  He had a short, white beard, a limp from an injury he sustained shortly before liberation, a steely stare and a commanding voice with a strong accent. If he so much as looked at you, you immediately became quiet. When he walked into the room, you did not have to be told to stand up out of respect.

And, as a man who nearly starved to death at Auschwitz, he did not tolerate wasting food.

He would walk up to the microphone with a half-eaten sandwich in hand and demand, “Whose is this”? The guilty party would walk to the front of the room on shaky legs and retrieve their sandwich along with a strict admonishment not to waste food. And after being called out like that, you learned your lesson: you did not waste food.

Kids aren’t like that anymore. Neither are principals.

In the eight years between the time I graduated elementary school to the time I entered the classroom as a teacher, it seemed things had changed. Teachers were no longer “always right”. And kids were no longer afraid of teachers, principals or parents.

Perhaps it was the advancement of technology–cell phones barely existed when I was in 8th grade; when I walked into my first 8th grade classroom as a teacher, nearly every student had one.  When I was in school, if you dared use chutzpa in front of a a teacher, you sweated all day, knowing the teacher would call your parents and that you would be in hot water when you got home. Now, when every kid has a cell phone in school, they can often call their parents to complain about the “unfair teacher” so that by the time the teacher can get near a phone at the end of the school day to discuss the child’s inappropriate behavior, the parent has already called the principal to complain about the teacher. Accountability is no longer a word that is stressed in homes and schools, and it seems that the plague of self-entitlement has resulted in its stead. And this is not the fault of our children and students, but rather the fault lies with us- the parents and educators.

One of the lead stories this morning is “100 Jewish Teens Kicked Off Plane” and the article goes on to explain how 100 (or 101) Jewish students from the Orthodox Yeshiva of Flatbush (a great school and my mother’s alma mater) were kicked off a flight on their way to a school trip, due to “rowdy behavior.” When you look at other articles, it appears there are different accounts of what actually happened on that flight and whether or not the decision of the airline was warranted. Whatever actually took place, it is clear that some of those students were not acting appropriately on the flight. By all accounts, some did not put their phones away on when they were asked to and had to be told to sit down. I would argue that this behavior is typical of a group of teens flying on a school trip. I don’t think it has anything to do with the fact that they are Jewish.

However, anyone who read this news story probably had the same thought I had: what a chillul Hashem-  a desecration of God’s name. And for me, it brought to mind a memory of Rabbi Friedman.

Before every school trip, from first grade to when I was in sixth grade when he retired, Rabbi Friedman got onto the school bus before we departed and gave us the same speech. “You are Jewish boys and girls. Everywhere you go, people will know that you are Jews. They will be watching you to see how you behave. You have the choice to make a Kiddush Hashem or to make a Chillul Hashem” and then giving us no choice but to obey, he fixed us with his steely glance and said, “Make sure you make a Kiddush Hashem.”

The speech made an impression every single time. And it was a speech I repeated to my students when we went on trips. It’s a speech I’ve repeated to my own children when we go places.

Children are children. Children and teens will get overexcited and misbehave. But we need to realize that the world does not look at Jewish children as children. They look at them as Jewish children. One need only look at the comments (several of which are blatantly antisemitic) below the news story to see that this is the truth. It’s a message that we as administrators, teachers and parents don’t always take to heart. In an era of self-expression, when everything has to be “fair”, we are not always as strict as we ought to be. I am not blaming the administration or chaperons of Yeshiva of Flatbush for these students’ behavior, and again, I think it could happen to any school- Jewish or not. And as I don’t have all the details, I am in no place to point blame. But I do think this is a teaching moment for us as leaders. How do we educate our children?

There is no question that schools have advanced in terms of teaching techniques and educational technology in comparison to the days when I was in school. But perhaps in some ways, we might be wise to revisit some of the ways of the past in hopes of reintroducing respect to our students.

Share Button

About the Author: Ariela Davis is a native New Yorker, and the Rebbetzin of Charleston, South Carolina’s historic Orthodox synagogue, Brith Shalom Beth Israel. A veteran educato, she in New York, Israel and Houston, and was recently hired as the Judaic Studies Coordinator of Addlestone Hebrew Academy, Charleston’s Jewish day school. She writes a blog called Constant Comments, which includes meaningful and often humorous perspectives on her life as a Rebbbetzin in the deep South.

Leave a comment (Select your commenting platform)

15 Responses to “100 Jewish Teens Kicked off a Plane: a Teaching Moment”

My mother also was at Auschwitz and she used to tell me the same thing and I told her she was wrong and she was wrong. All it does is feed into the Antisemitism. The reason I should have behaved was because it was a reflection on me. Jabotinski said that when you deal with an Antisemite you tell him to go to hell. He was right. My father survived the war by being on the run and eliminating these Nazis.

2. Anthony Davis says:

That's good. But I hope you also tell anti-NON-semites to go to hell, too. You know the kind – they hate gentiles and think that gentiles are inferior or subhuman. The kind that use terms like schwarze against black people, too but pretend it doesn't have a negative connotation.

Huh?

4. Ahron Ebert says:

Schwarze is not a negative word in Yiddish. It seems the further a person is away from speaking the yiddish languague the more they think it is. Watch the Movie Blazing saddles where the word is used by Mel Brooks acting as an Indian Cheif. There is is not used negativly. You are just ignorant of Yiddish. Sometimes like any word in any langugue it can be said with a negative tone. You can say "Obama" and have a negative tone and you can say "Obama" with a positive tone.

5. Ahron Ebert says:

The Flatbush kids are very wild. There is a special Coney Island Ave city bus that starts it run at the Yeshiva of Flatbush, by Ave I. The kids are wild and rowdy running around and screaming. They act like public school kids. Anyone can get on this bus and you can see this your self. It is there at dismal time around 4:30pm. Most of the kids are Syrian and in general I see when it comes to road manors the Syrians are selfish especially the woman. That doesn't take away from there being great ba'aly Tzadakah. May H-shem bless them to be able to give more.

6. Cheri Fistel says:

I read the 100 students article thinking there was a major international incident that I should warn someone about. This 100, possibly fractious, students essay is space-occupying drivel.

7. Under no circumstances is this correct behavior, but would the kids in other groups doing the same thing be kicked off? Besides that, why were all l00 on the same plane? bad idea! If in fact they were rowdy enough to get kicked off, there should definitely be accountability, something that is very scarce, nowadays, in schools.

republicc1948 auschwitz? sorry, this is a story about obnoxious kids. It has nothing to do with auschwitz.

9. Dan Silagi says:

Maybe if they acted like public school kids out of Madison HS, they could write a proper English sentence with correct spelling and usage. "Dismal time"? The entire time I spent in high school was certainly "dismal time." "Road manors""? Are those restaurants or restrooms?

10. Alan Kardon says:

You can write all you want about other groups misbehaving, anti-semitism, etc, etc. The bottom line is these kids are not behaving properly. There is no excuse for this. It is a shame if you cannot teach manners to your children or students. You are the cause.

11. Alan Kardon says:

How can you say "Obama" with a positive tone?

12. Dan Silagi says:

Boy, are you way off on this. The kids were kicked off that plane because the captain (or possibly the crew) didn't want to transport 100 teenagers that morning. Being Jewish had nothing to do with it; had it been a Jesuit high school marching band, this guy would have had the same reaction. So there were a few kids texting while the plane was at the gate, so what? You don't have to shut off your electronic gadgets until the aircraft pulls away from the gate. The captain and crew merely ginned up an excuse to remove the kids; maybe he thought they'd get wild once underway.

Collective punishment has its place: In the military. One soldier messes up, the entire platoon is messed up, possibly fatally. This is an extremely important lesson, even if most recruits in boot camp don't think so at the time. These kids were headed to Six Flags, not Ft. Benning!

I'll bet the captain and his crew are neck deep in the Scheisse right now with AirTran. This was totally uncalled for and a violation of the terms and conditions of air travel: You behave yourself, and we'll get you to your destination as expeditiously as possible. Ninety percent or more of those kids did just that, but they were kicked off the plane anyway.

13. Grace Acosta says:

I've had to call my child's school more than once, and tell them that they need to be stricter with her! The teachers and admin are all young, nice, and want to be "friends" with the students. My kiddo needs adults that she can respect and look up to. Knowing where the lines are makes her feel safe. If there's no lines, she gets anxious, and that turns into chutzpah. She's told me as much herself! Do the kids a favor, be in charge, not a buddy.

14. Liad Bar-el says:

Your daughter would fit very well in Israel.

15. Joe Casey says:

The real problem is the school and Jewish Orgs are going to blame the airline for being anti-Semitic. They are already "calling" (i.e., pressuring) for an investigation. This is why these kids act so entitled. The blame for their arrogance and their lack of consideration falls to their community. Send them to public schools or to private schools that are not all Jewish or all white or all anything for God's sake. Raise them to be human beings not Jewish human beings.

Loading Facebook Comments ...
Loading Disqus Comments ...
FBI Wanted poster for Osama bin Laden
Pakistan Library Renamed to Honor bin Laden
Baruch Mizrachi Funeral

When will the State of Israel decide the Palestinian Arabs are a hostile enemy and treat them as such?

Israeli troops guarding the northern border.

Like Hamas, Hezbollah also builds tunnels. Those tunnels pose a serious danger to IDF border patrols.

Firnas Hafzi, Egyptian journalist who luridly repeats Passover Blood Libel.

Visa has ads in an Egyptian magazine in which a story describes Jews as vampires. And worse.

Church of the Nativity, beseiged and desecrated by Arab Palestinian terrorists in the spring of 2002.

World Council of Churches expresses solidarity with “Palestinians” ‘languishing’ in Israeli prisons.

The Seder: We starve (during the sometimes endless recitations and discussions) and we feast.

The unique skills of people on the autistic spectrum adds great breadth to IDF intelligence work.

Passover is a road that we still travel, a long journey from slavery to freedom.

In Iran, 131 offenses are punishable by death, including blasphemy, adultery and homosexuality.

Women must eat Matzah on Pesach too but that is also a time bound positive commandment.

Pro-Israel leaders on campus are as important as the troops in the IDF and professional hasbaraniks.

The seder reminds us of our freedom now that we are home again in the land of the Nation of Israel

IDF helicopters are ready to act on a moment’s notice to defend the State of Israel.

The Samson Super Hercules aircraft ensures the IDF can safeguard Israel from far beyond her shores.

Rudoren and the Times are determined to go the extra mile to humanize Barghouti.

Gazans are among the principal victims of the terror-addicted Hamas Islamists.