March 27, 2015 / 7 Nisan, 5775

Haredi or Conservadox?

Rav Kook

Rabbi Tzvi Yehuda Kook, Rosh Yeshiva at the Mercaz Harav Yeshiva in Yerushalaim, would emphasize the proper relationship that a Jew should have to Torah by saying, “Thank G-d, we don’t choose which mitzvot we do like some people do. We don’t say, ‘This mitzvah is pleasing to me, so I’ll do it, but this mitzvah is too difficult so I won’t. We keep all of the Torah with complete emunah and faith in the Lord.”

We should all strive to be Haredi like Moshe, our teacher, who rushed to do every mitzvah he could and who wanted to observe the Torah in the Land of Israel more than anything else. And one other point – Moshe didn’t want his children to be Haredi in Egypt, or in the wilderness of Sinai. He wanted them to be Haredi in the Land of Israel.

And definitely not in the United States of America.

About the Author: Tzvi Fishman was awarded the Israel Ministry of Education Prize for Creativity and Jewish Culture for his novel "Tevye in the Promised Land." For the past several years, he has written a popular and controversial blog at Arutz 7. A wide selection of his books are available at Amazon. The views expressed in this blog are solely those of the author and do not represent the views of The Jewish Press

10 Responses to “Haredi or Conservadox?”

1. Jim Moody says:

I don't get the Conservadox connection. What?

2. Liad Bar-el says:

Excellent point!
    So, the love or hate of the Holy Land of Israel determines who is a true Haredi or a true Yaredi (smihut – those who have gone down from Israel).
    Yaredim – don’t honor/respect Yom Atzm’ut and pray Tahanun instead of Hallel, don’t stand in silence for those killed in the Holocaust or killed in all the wars of Israel, hate the IDF and avoid to serve in some community service of the country and refuse to take an active part in the building of the country including actively posting their opinions on blog talk back forums so as to help others love the Holy Land of Israel.

3. Tikva Sasson says:

" This is a sign of a true Haredi Jew – a towering love for the Land of Israel and a passionate desire to live there.

4. Tikva Sasson says:

"Moshe yearned to fulfill God’s will in everything, especially regarding the mitzvah of living in the Land of Israel"

5. Tikva Sasson says:

The mitzvah of dwelling in the Land of Israel is mentioned more times than any other commandment, it is an imperative to live here. To willingly forgo this mitzvah is a huge issue.

6. Yehuda Cohen says:

Without getting into a master thesis explanation, let’s just say that there are three main forms of Judaism, Orthodox, Conservative and Reform. Within each division there are further divisions, Orthodox probably having the most of them all. Heredi is such an orthodox division. Though it is not an “official” term; yet, to say conservadox would be like saying there is a place in between the Orthodox and conservative divisions. Therefore, to say that one fears G-d (Hared) and wants to fulfill ALL mitzvoth to the highest degree (Haredi); yet, acts like a conservative wherein making Aliyah is not important, then one is not Haredi but rather a conservadox.
    I do not take money for such explanations; however, if this explanation satisfies you, then drop a $1.00 bill in a zadaka box.

7. Liad Bar-el says:

During my review of the previous weekly parasha, Vaethchanan (Deut 4:15,16), I relearned again a couple of words which fit this blog perfectly: ונשמרתם מאד לנפשתיכם…..פן-תשחתון. Guard yourselves very much to the life of your souls….G-d forbid (Do not) corrupt yourselves.
    Keeping the mitzvoth is just as much in our power and responsibility to accomplish as is to not keeping them thereby corrupting ourselves. Surely, one with any level of responsible thinking cannot truly believe that one will not become corrupted if they don’t keep the mitzvah of Aliyah. Come HOME now!

8. Muriel Coudurier-Curveur says:

According to you then, I'm a true haredi, even though I don't even dress frum. I just thought I was a Jew and it was normal to want to make Aliyah with all my heart and accomplish the mitvot to the best of my ability.
    Thanks for the compliment, even though I don't think I deserve it, it still warms my heart.

9. Yehuda Cohen says:

You mean they're Refharedom?

10. Liad Bar-el says:

The Haredim have a history of following ALL the commandments. The Haredim who do not uphold and follow the commandment of making Aliyah to Israel have turned their status of ultra-orthodox Judaism to Flexidox Judaism by reflecting its original intent and spirit in prayer of living in Israel but are opposed to its otherwise actual physical enactments (moving to Israel).

Tzvi Fishman, author of the Jewish Press blog Felafel on Rye and author of more than a dozen books.
Palestinian Authority TV broadcasts incitement from children's school theater.
Palestinian Authority School Children: Boycott Israel by Killing Jews [video]
The Dimona nuclear reactor dome. Iran has been using Israel's reluctance to join the NPT to escape criticism of its own program.

“Israel has nuclear weapons & it isn’t afraid to use them if necessary-Does that frighten you? Good”

JB Flag

American Jews think they know what’s best for Israel-better than Israelis. Here’s my take…

HarHabayitwDome.jpg

An old Arab man yelled at me “You’re stupid!” I returned the compliment; He had murder in his eyes.

Doug Goldstein

Why do people feel the need to check their email 50X a day, constantly dipping in & out of Facebook?

Betar is the world-wide Zionist youth movement that refuses to be silent, and as our founder Ze’ev Jabotinsky wrote: “Silence is despicable.”

Life in Europe’s pre-War Yeshiva world makes today’s rulings look like the Taliban has taken over.

Moshe’s the 1st family member in thousands of years to have the honor of serving in a Jewish army

Often wig wearers become more attractive after marriage. Doesn’t this turn the intent on its head?

US official interference in Israel’s Elections is not only immoral but may be illegal under US law.

The greatest thing about leaving Israel is the joy in returning, hearing/seeing/smelling coming home

I never felt an election resonate so much; I had true existential fear that my candidate might lose

It appears that Agudah has joined with those choosing to erase women from the public sphere.

How can you turn your passion into your business? How can you build your business around your life?

Politicians have their own egos as priority, not the good of the country nor the will of the people

I might have to “reassess” my position on President Obama if his “new positions and comments” on Israel don’t match his pre-election statements.

Find out about peak oil and how the production & sale of cheap oil has affected other oil sources