October 2, 2014 / 8 Tishri, 5775
Meir Panim with Soldiers 5774 Roundup: Year of Relief and Service for Israel’s Needy

Meir Panim implements programs that serve Israel’s neediest populations with respect and dignity. Meir Panim also coordinated care packages for families in the South during the Gaza War.

Haredi or Conservadox?

Rav Kook

Rabbi Tzvi Yehuda Kook, Rosh Yeshiva at the Mercaz Harav Yeshiva in Yerushalaim, would emphasize the proper relationship that a Jew should have to Torah by saying, “Thank G-d, we don’t choose which mitzvot we do like some people do. We don’t say, ‘This mitzvah is pleasing to me, so I’ll do it, but this mitzvah is too difficult so I won’t. We keep all of the Torah with complete emunah and faith in the Lord.”

We should all strive to be Haredi like Moshe, our teacher, who rushed to do every mitzvah he could and who wanted to observe the Torah in the Land of Israel more than anything else. And one other point – Moshe didn’t want his children to be Haredi in Egypt, or in the wilderness of Sinai. He wanted them to be Haredi in the Land of Israel.

And definitely not in the United States of America.

About the Author: Tzvi Fishman was awarded the Israel Ministry of Education Prize for Creativity and Jewish Culture for his novel "Tevye in the Promised Land." For the past several years, he has written a popular and controversial blog at Arutz 7. A wide selection of his books are available at Amazon. The views expressed in this blog are solely those of the author and do not represent the views of The Jewish Press

10 Responses to “Haredi or Conservadox?”

1. Jim Moody says:

I don't get the Conservadox connection. What?

2. Liad Bar-el says:

Excellent point!
    So, the love or hate of the Holy Land of Israel determines who is a true Haredi or a true Yaredi (smihut – those who have gone down from Israel).
    Yaredim – don’t honor/respect Yom Atzm’ut and pray Tahanun instead of Hallel, don’t stand in silence for those killed in the Holocaust or killed in all the wars of Israel, hate the IDF and avoid to serve in some community service of the country and refuse to take an active part in the building of the country including actively posting their opinions on blog talk back forums so as to help others love the Holy Land of Israel.

3. Tikva Sasson says:

" This is a sign of a true Haredi Jew – a towering love for the Land of Israel and a passionate desire to live there.

4. Tikva Sasson says:

"Moshe yearned to fulfill God’s will in everything, especially regarding the mitzvah of living in the Land of Israel"

5. Tikva Sasson says:

The mitzvah of dwelling in the Land of Israel is mentioned more times than any other commandment, it is an imperative to live here. To willingly forgo this mitzvah is a huge issue.

6. Yehuda Cohen says:

Without getting into a master thesis explanation, let’s just say that there are three main forms of Judaism, Orthodox, Conservative and Reform. Within each division there are further divisions, Orthodox probably having the most of them all. Heredi is such an orthodox division. Though it is not an “official” term; yet, to say conservadox would be like saying there is a place in between the Orthodox and conservative divisions. Therefore, to say that one fears G-d (Hared) and wants to fulfill ALL mitzvoth to the highest degree (Haredi); yet, acts like a conservative wherein making Aliyah is not important, then one is not Haredi but rather a conservadox.
    I do not take money for such explanations; however, if this explanation satisfies you, then drop a $1.00 bill in a zadaka box.

7. Liad Bar-el says:

During my review of the previous weekly parasha, Vaethchanan (Deut 4:15,16), I relearned again a couple of words which fit this blog perfectly: ונשמרתם מאד לנפשתיכם…..פן-תשחתון. Guard yourselves very much to the life of your souls….G-d forbid (Do not) corrupt yourselves.
    Keeping the mitzvoth is just as much in our power and responsibility to accomplish as is to not keeping them thereby corrupting ourselves. Surely, one with any level of responsible thinking cannot truly believe that one will not become corrupted if they don’t keep the mitzvah of Aliyah. Come HOME now!

8. Muriel Coudurier-Curveur says:

According to you then, I'm a true haredi, even though I don't even dress frum. I just thought I was a Jew and it was normal to want to make Aliyah with all my heart and accomplish the mitvot to the best of my ability.
    Thanks for the compliment, even though I don't think I deserve it, it still warms my heart.

9. Yehuda Cohen says:

You mean they're Refharedom?

10. Liad Bar-el says:

The Haredim have a history of following ALL the commandments. The Haredim who do not uphold and follow the commandment of making Aliyah to Israel have turned their status of ultra-orthodox Judaism to Flexidox Judaism by reflecting its original intent and spirit in prayer of living in Israel but are opposed to its otherwise actual physical enactments (moving to Israel).

Tzvi Fishman, author of the Jewish Press blog Felafel on Rye and author of more than a dozen books.
Car Smashed in A-Tur
4 Women Survive Near Lynch on Mount of Olives
Netanyahu at UN GA

My good friend Ruthie Blum and I don’t agree about the value of Bibi’s speech; she’s too optimistic.

photo-12

Regardless of your opinion on the hareidi community, the food is delicious and super-duper kosher!

terrorists

Is the global community clear in its response to these extremist groups?

Israeli Prime Minister Binyamin Netanyahu speaks to the UNGA, Sept. 29, 2014.

Bibi speaks resolutely in forums like the UN but we don’t see that strength on the ground here.

Yeah, I know what you’re thinking but no, I haven’t lost my mind and no, I am not kidding.

Abbas again used the UN to attack Israel, distort history, and undermine prospects for peace.

Discover the motivations and the emotions that may affect investing.

This piece partner- no it was not a spelling mistake- they desire piece after piece of our Land.

President Obama showed courageous leadership with his decision to attack “Islamic State” despite the unavoidable ensuing collateral damage.

The solution to the friction with Hareidim on El Al flights is so simple and obvious, it amazes me that it hasn’t been implemented yet.

Global resources flow to young and capable descendants of Arabs who left Palestine over 60 years ago

There was a problem: A different speech, in part, was delivered on September 27

Obama’s speech was the epitome of chutzpah and hypocrisy.

After Israeli-Arab and Zionist Mohammed Zoabi expressed his support for Israel, he was forced to go into hiding for his safety…

Here is your chance to show your appreciation to the IDF!