web analytics
July 29, 2016 / 23 Tammuz, 5776

Posts Tagged ‘Gilad Erdan’

Security Cabinet Meets Sat. Night on Answers to Terror [video]

Saturday, July 2nd, 2016

The security cabinet is meeting Saturday night following the two murderous attacks on Jewish civilians in Judea and Samaria last Thursday and Friday. Two ministers, Naftali Bennett (Habayit Hayehudi) and Gilad Erdan (Likud) have pointed a finger at one of the culprits in the wave of terror — Facebook, or, rather, the entire Internet and its social networks. Bennett plans to present a plan to take care of “viral terrorism,” including a demand to deny the use of Facebook and the Internet throughout the Hebron Mountain area, where so many terrorists have originated.

Appearing on Channel 2’s “Meet the Press,” Internal Security Minister Erdan attacked Facebook and its founder Mark Zuckerberg, saying, “Facebook is sabotaging police efforts to capture terrorists.” He even added that “the blood of the murdered is on Zuckerberg’s hands,” and called for a citizen’s rebellion against Facebook.

Bennett plans to demand at the cabinet meeting tonight the arrest of every Hamas activist in Judea and Samaria released in the Gilad Shalit deal who have since committed any violations. This has been done once before during the “Return, oh brothers” operation to locate the three Israeli boys kidnapped exactly two years ago, an act that preceded the 2014 Gaza War.

Bennett also insists on a full-scale military operation in areas A and B which are under PA control officially. He also demands blocking Arab traffic on Route 60, where the drive-by murder of Michael Mark was carried out Friday. “We can no longer continue with the old program,” he said, “we must switch the disc.”

The government meanwhile has ordered several steps in response to the attacks. Prime Minister Netanyahu and Defense Minister Liberman approved a bid for 42 new housing units in Kiryat Arba, the late Hallel Yaffa Ariel HY”D’s home town. The bid had been frozen 18 months ago and thawed on FRiday.

The IDF has imposed a complete closure on Hebron and neighboring villages, which includes roughly 700 thousand Arabs. In addition, the IDF has moved two paratrooper units and one infantry unit to the Hebron area.

David Israel

Liberman, Bennett, Shaked to Vote Against Turkish Deal

Tuesday, June 28th, 2016

So far, only two government ministers, Energy Minister Yuval Steinitz and Housing Minister Yoav Galant, both from Likud, are on the record as supporting Prime Minister Netanyahu’s deal with Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdoğan to pay upwards of $21 million as reparations to the families of anti-Zionist Turkish activists who attacked IDF soldiers with metal rods, rocks and knives when they attempted to take over the ship Mavi Marmara back in 2010. The deal also included a public apology (check) and easing the Israeli blockade on Gaza, which always ends up as a wise move when dealing with Hamas.

The loud objections from both sides of the aisle which the Netanyahu deal has raised on Monday may be the reason that four ministers Netanyahu was counting on to support him are yet to say anything on the subject: Moshe Kahlon (Kulanu), Aryeh Deri (Shas), Gilad Erdan (Likud) and Israel Katz (Likud). Meanwhile, three ministers have erected a strong front against the deal: Avigdor Liberman (Yisrael Beiteinu), Naftali Bennett (Habayit Hayehudi), and Ayelet Shaked (Habayit Hayehudi).

Liberman this week denied reports that he had committed to supporting the deal, as part of his entering the Netanyahu government. In closed sessions he went as far as to say that if he thins the deal is bad, he would vote against it.

Bennett said on Tuesday morning that “the State of Israel must not pay reparations to terrorists who tried to harm the IDF. A rapprochement with Turkey is important for this time and for the interests of the State of Israel, but paying reparations to terrorists is a dangerous precedent the State of Israel would regret in the future.”

A Channel 10 News survey released Monday showed that 56% of Israelis object to the deal with Turkey, and 67% believe it should have been conditioned on the return of the bodies of IDF soldiers in Hamas’ possession, as well as two Israeli civilians believed to be alive.

David Israel

Netanyahu Issues Stop-Work Order against Waqf Temple Mount Bathrooms

Wednesday, June 1st, 2016

On Tuesday the PM’s office instructed the City of Jerusalem to issue a stop-work order against a project that has been under construction for two years, converting an ancient Ottoman structure near the compound’s wall into bathroom stalls and showers for use strictly by Muslim worshipers.

According to Israel Radio, Prime Minister Netanyahu on Tuesday assembled Jerusalem Mayor Nir Barkat, Minister of Public Security Gilad Erdan, and Minister of Culture and Sport Miri Regev, to discuss the offensive Waqf project on the Temple Mount, because it endangers rare archaeological treasures.

The move was appropriate, especially since the Waqf had been constructing those bathrooms, as well as carrying out other projects for two years now without a license. The only question was how come the PM’s office waited for two years to act, after being bombarded with complaints by archaeologists, including the Israel Antiquities Authority, regarding the irreparable damage caused by the Waqf?

It was Yehuda Glick, now an MK, who in 2014 caught Waqf officials red-handed in the act of drilling through the ancient stones of the holy site, using heavy machinery. “They saw me coming and immediately tried to hide. It set off warning bells for me and I started filming straight away,” Glick related back in 2014. “They tried to hide, and then shouted to the policeman who was there that I could not take pictures without their permission. The policeman ignored them.”

David Israel

16 International NGOs Condemn Israel’s Refusal to Support BDS Founder’s World Travels

Monday, May 30th, 2016

Earlier this month, Israeli authorities refused to renew the travel documents of Omar Barghouti, a founding committee member of the Palestinian Campaign for the Academic and Cultural Boycott of Israel (PACBI) and co-founder of the Boycott, Divestment and Sanctions movement.

Barghouti was born in Qatar, grew up in Egypt and later moved to Jaffa and then to Acre in Israel as an adult, but he insists on counting himself as part of the indigenous people, as when he told the AP back in 2007, that the “Palestinians cannot possibly observe the same boycott guidelines as asked of internationals” and that the “indigenous population” is entitled to all services they can get from the system.

After marrying his wife, an Israeli Arab, Barghouti, was granted permanent residency in Israel, which he has enjoyed for the past 23 years. He holds a master’s degree in ethics from Tel Aviv University, and is pursuing a PhD. A petition drew more than 184,000 signatures asked the university to expel him, but he was never expelled.

Interior Minister Aryeh Deri (Shas) has threatened to revoke Barghouti’s residency on the grounds that “he is using his resident status to travel all over the world in order to operate against Israel in the most serious manner.”

Intelligence Minister Yisrael Katz (Likud) called for a campaign of “targeted civil elimination” of BDS leaders with the help of Israeli intelligence.

Minister of Public Security, Strategic Affairs and Information Gilad Erdan (Likud), who is in charge of the fight against the BDS, said that activists including Barghouti should “pay the price” for their work.

Well, the Israeli system this month decided to deny the BDS leader one vital service: they will not renew his travel papers. Barghouti told the Arab press in response: “I am unnerved but certainly undeterred by these threats. Nothing will stop me from struggling for my people’s freedom, justice and peace.”

They could take away his Internet connection, of course.

Sixteen organizations from American, Asian, and European countries are demanding that Israel make it possible for Barghouti to travel around the world to sabotage Israeli commercial and national interests. But rather than addressing Israel’s foreign ministry (which is currently headed by PM Benjamin Netanyahu), these NGOs sent their protest to the foreign ministers of 14 countries and international organizations, including, naturally, John Kerry of the USA, Federica Mogherini, High Representative for the European Union, Margot Wallström of Sweden, and Charles Flanagan of Ireland.

After relating Israel’s repressive attitude against its enemy within, the NGOs demanded that the foreign ministers “use the power and influence that resides in your office to impress on the Israeli government the absolute necessity of ceasing its repressive measures against Palestine’s civil leaders, and in particular to permit Omar Barghouti to play his full role, both inside Israel and without, in representing the aspirations of the Palestinian people.”

Incidentally, any one of the 14 countries addressed by those NGOs could offer Omar Barghouti residency or citizenship and travel papers galore. There must be a reason why they haven’t so far.

David Israel

Arab Celebration Time

Tuesday, May 24th, 2016

Following pressure from the Israeli High Court, after the families of the terrorists lied to the Judges (surprise?) saying they wouldn’t run celebrations when the terrorist bodies were returned, the police began returning bodies of terrorists – and surprise, the families and friends began to celebrate their martyrs.

This morning, Minister Erdan ordered the police to stop returning all the terrorist bodies.

Erdan posted on his Facebook page that he hoped the judges in Israel’s Supreme Court will take notice of these images of incitement to terror, which should not happen anywhere, and certainly not in Jerusalem, the capital of Israel.

Video of the Day

Body of ‘Jerusalem Bezeq Terrorist’ Returned to Family, Buried as an ‘Honored Martyr’

Tuesday, May 24th, 2016

Late Monday night Israel Police returned the body of Ala’a Abu Jamal, the Bezeq technician-turned-terrorist who carried out a ram-and-stab attack in Jerusalem seven months ago.

Abu Jamal murdered Rabbi Yeshayahu Krishevsky on Malchei Yisroel Street last October, ramming his Bezeq car into a crowd waiting at a bus stop. He then got out of the vehicle and then attacking people with an axe until he was shot and killed by a security guard.

Some 200 Jerusalem Arabs crowded outside the cemetery during the killer’s funeral in the wee hours of Tuesday morning, in the Jabel Mukabar neighborhood.

The funeral became a mass scene of hatred and incitement to more terror, with participants in the proceedings calling out “Allahu Akbar!” (Allah is Great) and “In blood and faith we will avenge you, O Martyr!”

Watch the video at this link.

It is not the first time a terrorist’s funeral has erupted in demonstrations of hatred and incitement to terror – one reason that Public Security Minister Gilad Erdan had opposed the return of the bodies of terrorists who died while killing Israelis, to the Palestinian Authority and/or the families.

Former Defense Minister Moshe Ya’alon vehemently disagreed with this policy, as do military and intelligence officials, who say it simply exacerbates tensions without accomplishing deterrence.

On Tuesday morning, Erdan once again instructed police to cease returning terrorists’ bodies to their families for burials.

“I was just shown the outrageous images from the funeral last night in East Jerusalem, in which the conditions set by the police were violated and the commitments made by the families were broken,” Erdan said, according to the Hebrew-language Ynet news site.

“The terrorists’ families lied to the High Court of Justice. It’s a shame the High Court believed them and pressured the police to return all the bodies by Ramadan.”

But police claimed the family met the conditions that were set — only 40 people were allowed into the cemetery. Border Guard Police prevented the crowd from entering.

Police delayed the return of the body for six months, until an agreement was reached with the family that the funeral would be held late at night with a small number of participants. The agreement was made in order to avoid the demonstration that developed in any case late Monday night – and despite the guarantee signed by the family.

The chanting took place outside the cemetery while the body was being carried from the nearby mosque to the burial site, police noted. (italics added)

Hana Levi Julian

Netanyahu Orders ‘No More Returning Terrorists’ Bodies’

Tuesday, March 29th, 2016

Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu ordered Defense Minister Moshe Ya’alon on Sunday not to allow any more return of terrorists’ bodies to their families or the Palestinian Authority.

The order, confirmed by sources in the Prime Minister’s Office, was first reported by Israel’s Channel 2 television news.

In October 2015, the cabinet voted against returning terrorist bodies, but the army only followed through for less than a week.

Initially the army claimed they released the bodies due to a mix-up, and then Defense Minister Yaalon said he ordered the bodies released them after making an agreement with the PA, which the PA promptly disregarded to Ya’alon’s surprise.

Ya’alon, IDF Chief of Staff Lt.-Gen. Gadi Eizenkot and Maj.-Gen. Yoav Mordechai, Coordinator of Government Activities in the Territories (COGAT) have strongly disagreed with this position of holding terrorists’ bodies, which is one that supported by Public Security Minister Gilad Erdan.

All three military men have argued that holding on to terrorists’ bodies further inflames passions and escalates tensions with Arab communities. Ya’alon is also vehemently opposed to the “moral ground” of the issue, what he has called “trading in bodies.” His nephew is one of the soldiers whose body was captured and is held by the Hamas terrorist organization in Gaza.

Public Security Minister Gilad Erdan has long argued against returning the bodies, however, contending that most terrorists’ funerals are used as forums for greater incitement against Israel and venues for recruiting more “martyrs.” Erdan ordered Israel Police not to return the bodies of terrorists who fall under their jurisdiction unless their families first agree to a series of stringent requirements to control the size and nature of the funeral.

Although Netanyahu offered no reason for the order, nor did his office, Netanyahu may be using this to indirectly express his displeasure with Ya’alon, both for ignoring the October cabinet decision and for Ya’alon’s ongoing public statements against the IDF soldier who shot and killed the terrorist in Hebron, which are inflaming public opinion against the Netanyahu government.

Some Arab analysts are speculating there may be another prisoner swap under consideration. One who agrees is an Arab writer on the Palestinian Authority side. Writing in Alresalah, Mustafa Swaf notes that in 2006, “every Israeli demand had a price.”

Hana Levi Julian

Printed from: http://www.jewishpress.com/news/breaking-news/netanyahu-orders-no-more-returning-terrorists-bodies/2016/03/29/

Scan this QR code to visit this page online: