web analytics
December 19, 2014 / 27 Kislev, 5775
 
At a Glance
News & Views
Sponsored Post
8000 meals Celebrate Eight Days of Chanukah – With 8,000 Free Meals Daily to Israel’s Poor

Join Meir Panim’s campaign to “light up” Chanukah for families in need.



Ex-Claims Conf. Official Sentenced To 8 Years In Prison

Semen Domnitser, the former Claims Conference employee who was found guilty of leading a $57 million fraud scheme at the Holocaust restitution organization, was sentenced to eight years in prison.

Domnitser, 55, was sentenced Monday in Manhattan federal court. He also was ordered to pay restitution of $57.3 million.

Since 2010, a total of 31 individuals have been charged with participating in the scheme to defraud the Article 2 Fund and Hardship Fund programs directed by Domnister. Twenty-eight defendants pleaded guilty, and three – Domnitser, Luba Kramrish and Oksana Romalis – were convicted in May after trial.

Kramrish was sentenced on Sept. 20 to 37 months in prison. Romalis is scheduled to be sentenced on Nov. 26.

The fraud was discovered in 2009 and dated back to 1993. It involved falsifying applications to the Hardship Fund, an account established by the German government to provide one-time payments of approximately $3,360 to those who fled the Nazis as they moved east through Germany, and the Article 2 Fund, through which the German government gives pension payments of approximately $411 per month to needy Nazi victims who spent significant time in a concentration camp, in a Jewish ghetto in hiding or living under a false identity to avoid the Nazis.

In a statement issued after Domnitser’s sentencing, Claims Conference Chairman Julius Berman hailed authorities’ handling of the case.

“Four years after our discovery of the fraud, we are finally able to put this behind us and continue, as we have throughout, focusing on our core mission of helping Holocaust victims and advocating for them,” Berman said.

About the Author:


If you don't see your comment after publishing it, refresh the page.

Our comments section is intended for meaningful responses and debates in a civilized manner. We ask that you respect the fact that we are a religious Jewish website and avoid inappropriate language at all cost.

If you promote any foreign religions, gods or messiahs, lies about Israel, anti-Semitism, or advocate violence (except against terrorists), your permission to comment may be revoked.

2 Responses to “Ex-Claims Conf. Official Sentenced To 8 Years In Prison”

  1. Leonard Michaelis says:

    They were supposed to get 20 years each … didn't they?

  2. Yechiel Baum says:

    He deserves life imprisonment.
    When mother applied, he claimed her survival was impossible so he refused her application while he and his Russian cohorts stole the money from the survivors.
    All rejected applications should be reviewed and you will see those funds went to his and his Russian mafia cohorts!

Comments are closed.

SocialTwist Tell-a-Friend

Current Top Story
Cinema City Iron Man Theater in Jerusalem. (illustrative)
US Govt IDs North Korea in Sony Cyber Terror Attack
Latest News Stories
New York police responded instantly to a call for help and saved countless lives at "770" Eastern Parkway.

A Chabad rabbinic student stabbed in “770″ has returned home from the hospital.

Arabs attacked an Israeli bus traveling between Arad and Be’er Sheva along Highway 31 Thursday evening.

The UN General Assembly approves resolution to refer N. Korea to the Intl Criminal Court at The Hague.

Hanukkah menorah lighting at 2014 terror attack site in Gush etzion.

Israeli soldiers stand guard near large public menorah near the site where Dalia Lemkus, 26, was stabbed to death at a bus stop near the entrance to Alon Shvut last month.

US teachers are learning “3-D printing” from the Dept. of Defense.

U.S. lawmakers were divided, but many upset, about Pres. Barack Obama’s secret talks that restored full relations with Cuba.

Harvard announced it will “look into” its boycott of SodaStream. But will it remove the boycott?

PM Binyamin Netanyahu warns he will not allow the UN Security Council resolution on behalf of the PA to endanger Israeli citizens.

Israeli soldiers holding (and eating) ‘sufganiyot’- doughnuts traditionally eaten on Hanukkah, as they pose for a pictures on the 2nd night of Hanukkah at a candle lighting ceremony held near the Gush Etzion junction. This particular lighting ceremony was held at a memorial spot in commemoration of the three Jewish teenagers who were kidnapped and […]

Excavations also turned up hidden tunnels dug by Jewish rebels in the period of the Bar Kokhba Revolt.

Is Sydney also going to turn out the lights on Christmas trees?

25-year-old man threatened former Shas party head with violence.

Are machine gun shots all night long and the death from a “work accident” not enough evidence for the EU court?

“It was crucial to my survival knowing that I was not forgotten.“

More Articles from Jewish Press Staff

If fire indeed was invented in Israel, will the Boycott Israel movement stop lighting matches?

Over 800 people filled The Shul of Bal Harbour on Monday night, November 24, to hear Rabbi Lord Jonathan Sacks.

The Packers joined both local synagogues, Young Israel of Bal Harbour and The Shul of Bal Harbour, and Martin participated in the Bal Harbour commission.

Printed from: http://www.jewishpress.com/news/breaking-news/ex-claims-conf-official-sentenced-to-8-years-in-prison/2013/11/06/

Scan this QR code to visit this page online: