web analytics
August 3, 2015 / 18 Av, 5775
At a Glance

Posts Tagged ‘air strike’

Lebanon Claims IAF Bombed Fallen Israeli Drone in Beka’a

Sunday, June 21st, 2015

Lebanon is blaming Israel for what it claimed was an air strike early Sunday on a crashed unmanned aerial vehicle (UAV, or drone) in the western Beka’a Valley.

According to a report broadcast on the Hezbollah-linked Al-Manar TV channel, an Israeli reconnaissance drone allegedly crashed overnight in a remote area of the valley.  Lebanese security source told Al-Manar the IAF targeted in the drone in an air strike early Sunday in order to ensure it would be destroyed, but gave no further details.

The official Lebanese news agency reported that an explosion was heard in the area and that witnesses reported air strikes as well. Lebanese military personnel traveled to the site of the crash to inspect the remains, according to the report, but no further details were provided. A “proper investigation” is yet to be carried out, the sources said. No information was provided on whether or not there were any casualties.

Lebanese security sources told the Reuters news agency that a blast near the town of Saghbein “is still not 100 percent clear” but added that “most probably it was an Israeli strike to destroy their drone.”

Earlier in the day, Aljazeera had also reported the IAF had attacked the area but like others added few details.

Despite all of the above, however, a report published Sunday in the Lebanese Daily Star indicates the truth may be different. Photos of the reported drone published on media websites “show Cyrillic script on a piece of the wreckage, indicating that the drone may have been manufactured either in Russia or elsewhere in Eastern Europe,” the website reported.

Local sources claimed Israel was flying drones over southern Lebanon and Mount Hermon throughout the day on Sunday, but the reports were unconfirmed.

Residents of the area said they spotted an Israeli plane hovering over the southern region near Adloun just moments before the explosion, and eyewitnesses in the area told the Daily Star they saw planes coming from the direction of Mount Hermon. No casualties were reported.

Israeli military sources have declined to comment.

ISIS Claims US Female Hostage Killed in Jordanian Air Strike – But Shows No Proof

Saturday, February 7th, 2015

The Islamic State in Iraq and Syria (ISIS) claimed Friday that an American female hostage being held by the group is dead. The group said 26-year-old Kayla Mueller, a humanitarian aide worker, was killed when a Jordanian air strike hit the building in Syria where she was being held hostage, the SITE Intelligence Group reported.

ISIS said on Twitter that Mueller was buried under the rubble of a building near Raqqa, the group’s de facto capital. “The failed Jordanian aircraft killed an American female hostage,” the message said. “No mujahid was injured in the bombardment and all praise is due to Allah.”

A State Department spokeswoman said the U.S. was investigating the claim but could not confirm them.

“We are obviously deeply concerned by these reports,” National Security Council spokesperson Bernadette Meehan told Business Insider. “We have not at this time seen any evidence that corroborates ISIL’s claim.”

Mueller, a native of Prescott, Arizona, was captured in August 2013 after leaving a Doctors Without Borders hospital in Aleppo, Syria. She is the last known American hostage being held by ISIS.

If the reports turn out to be true, Joint Special Operations Command (JSOC) will likely step up its attacks against the group as they will no longer pose danger to any Americans. Some plans to strike at the group until this point were rejected on the grounds “these things would be too risky to Kayla” said a military official interviewed by Foreign Policy magazine, on condition of anonymity.

The terror group demanded a ransom of more than $6 million in exchange for her freedom, according to The Daily Beast.

Jordan stepped up its own attacks last week after the video announcement by ISIS that it had executed a Jordanian pilot being held hostage by burning him alive in a cage. Amman has since intensified its bombing raids daily in retaliation against the group.

Hezbollah Vows to Attack Israel ‘With Wisdom’

Sunday, January 25th, 2015

The Iranian-backed Hezbollah terrorist organization reassured the Beirut government last week it would use “wisdom” in attacking Israel and take Lebanon into consideration. Israel calmly beefed up military forces in the north and flew sorties over southern Lebanon.

Sunni Future Movement parliamentarian Ahmad Fatfat told the Elnashra news agency last week, “Fears of war between Hezbollah and Israel exist after [Hezbollah] showed no concern [for] the Lebanese interests as it implements an Iranian agenda.”

The secular party’s lawmaker made his remark in reference to a public vow by Iranian officials to avenge the death of a general from the elite Iranian Revolutional Guards unit. Hezbollah has long been serving as Iran’s proxy in Lebanon. The Iranian officer was killed last week with five others in his unit and six Hezbollah terrorists, including three commanders, when their convoy was attacked near Quneitra in Syria, in an airstrike attributed to Israel.

The IDF has not confirmed the attack.

“Hezbollah has not only the courage [to stand up to Israel] but also a high degree of wisdom,” said Lebanese government minister Muhammad Fneish. Also a member of Hezbollah, Fneish continued, “Whenever the response will come, Lebanon’s interests will be taken into consideration before anything,” he added, according to the Saturday edition of Kuwaiti daily “Al Anba’a.”

Fneish’s comments and the Al Anba’a article were translated Saturday by the Hebrew-language news website, Mako.

Also on Saturday, Israeli warplanes flew sorties over southern Lebanon and in the Beka’a Valley, according to Lebanese media. The move was part of a general military buildup by Israeli forces in the north.

On Friday, the Israel Defense Forces moved a number of troops up to the northern border area and security briefings were held at Northern Command headquarters in Tzefat.

Defense Minister Moshe Ya’alon met at headquarters with Command Chief Maj.-Gen. Aviv Kochavi, Operations Branch head Maj.-Gen. Yoav Har Ev, and other senior command officers.

Ya’alon told reporters following the meeting that Israel will not tolerate attempts to harm its citizens. The IDF would respond “with force against any such attempt,” Ya’alon said.

Hezbollah Warns of ‘Costly Adventure’ After Israeli Air Strike

Monday, January 19th, 2015

The Lebanon-based Hezbollah terror organization warned Israel Sunday night that its air strike in Syria earlier in the day “could lead to a costly adventure that will put the Middle East at stake.”

The statement, broadcast on the terror group’s linked Al Manar television news channel, came following an IAF helicopter attack on a Hezbollah convoy traveling in the province of Quneitra in Syria.

Both Hezbollah commanders Jihad Mughniyeh and Mohamad Issa, known as Abu Issa, were killed along with four other terrorists, according to a statement from the group. In addition, a number of Iranian Revolutionary Guards were killed in the attack as well, according to a statement from the semi-official Iranian Tabnak news site.

The cell has launched a number of attacks on Israelis in the Golan Heights in the past. Israeli military sources said Mughniyeh was planning a series of deadly attacks against Israel, to be focused on IDF soldiers and Israeli civilians in the Golan Heights.

Lebanese media reported the Israeli air strike on Quneitra in Syria earlier Sunday. Two missiles were fired by an IAF helicopter in the area of Amal Farms, according to the report, later confirmed by Israeli military sources. Two Israeli reconnaissance planes were also seen flying in the area.

The UK-based Syrian Observatory for Human Rights quoted local sources as saying the missiles targeted armed vehicles, adding it was not clear which group the vehicles belonged to.

Lebanese sources reported that six Iranians and five Hezbollah terrorists were killed in the strike, including three senior Lebanese terrorists.

Abu Ali Tabtabai, Hezbollah field commander for Syria operations was allegedly also killed in the strike, according to local reports.

In July 2013, JewishPress.com reported that Hezbollah was setting up a terror division on the Golan Heights. This was followed by a Druze report in October 2014, which warned that Lebanese terrorist Samir Kuntar was in charge of organizing a special Golan Heights terror cell.

CNN Arabic reported several months ago that Mughniyeh was following in his father’s footsteps and had received a respected role in the terrorist organization. He was planning terror attacks against Israelis living in the Golan Heights, according to intelligence sources.

“Jihad Mughniyeh is a ruthless terrorist who created a serious terrorist organization with many capabilities,” a source said.  Rocket barrages and infiltrations using explosives and anti-tank missiles were on the list of attacks planned by Mughniyeh, the source said.

 

 

ISIS ‘Prince’ of Iraq’s Anbar Province Killed

Wednesday, November 26th, 2014

The “prince” of the Islamic State of Iraq and Syria (ISIS) in Anbar Province is dead, according to a report by Al Arabiya.

Senan Meteeb, the so-called ISIS “emir” of western Anbar, was reportedly killed early Wednesday in a coalition air strike.

At least 24 other ISIS fighters were also allegedly killed in the attack, and numerous others were wounded.

The strike came one day after ISIS terrorists slaughtered 25 people from the Albunimr tribe in Anbar, Al Arabiya reported. Hundreds from the Sunni Muslim tribe have been murdered by ISIS.

Tribal fighters are demanding more air support from the U.S.-led coalition and Baghdad. The tribe’s cooperation with the Iraqi government — which is Shi’ite-led — is seen as key in order to defeat ISIS in the province, where the terrorist group has made considerable gains.

US-led Air Strikes Kill 8 Civilians in Syria

Monday, October 20th, 2014

U.S.-led coalition air strikes against the Islamic State in Iraq and Syria (ISIS) terror group left eight civilians fuel tanker drivers dead in eastern Syria over the weekend, according to Deir el-Zour Free Radio.

A gas distribution station in the town of Khasham was targeted Friday by the coalition because it is located in the oil-rich province of Deir el-Zour.

The strike and its outcome was confirmed by the UK-based watchdog group, the Syrian Observatory for Human Rights.

Despite the obvious toll in civilian lives, the U.S. military did not comment, according to the Huffington Post.

The United States joined the United Nations Human Rights Commission and others in haranguing Israel’s Defense Forces over the same issue during this summer’s Operation Protective Edge. That, despite numerous efforts by the IDF to prevent civilian casualties by dropping fliers into combat zones hours and sometimes days in advance, warning residents of impending attacks, sending SMS text messages to local cell phones and making recorded calls to residential phones with similar warnings in Arabic, advising occupants to leave for their own safety.

It is extremely unlikely that U.S.-led coalition forces have done the same for civilians in Kobani, or anywhere else they are dropping bombs, either in Syria or in Iraq. Nor has any nation commented on the number of civilian deaths resulting from the attacks against ISIS.

The UNHRC has yet to do anything about Syrian President Bashar al-Assad’s wholesale slaughter of his own civilian population over the past three and a half years. Late Friday, at least three children and a woman were killed by Syrian government air strikes in the town of Douma, near Damascus. A total of 16 people were killed in five attacks by the government forces, meant to block roads to the capital.

Meanwhile, the United Nations has already launched a full-scale investigation into Israel’s military actions in Gaza, which were initiated in response to the incessant rocket and missile attacks fired at its own civilian population on a near-daily basis.

Now, while the UN harasses Israel for defending its own population while trying to avoid killing Gazans used as human shields by their terrorist rulers, the Hamas de facto prime minister of the enclave, Ismail Haniyeh, sent his own daughter for care to a hospital in Tel Aviv.

In the north, wounded Syrian rebels struggle to reach Israel’s northern border. They know it’s their best chance for survival: only in Israel can they get the quality medical care they need.

So… um…. “ what is the U.S.-led coalition doing to prevent civilian casualties on the ground during air strikes against ISIS in Syria and Iraq?

‘Thanks But No Thanks’ – Gaza Landlords Refuse to Rent to Hamas

Monday, September 15th, 2014

Gaza landlords are learning at last, and so are would-be neighbors.

Egypt-based Hamas official Moussa Abu Marzouk let it slip to media on Sunday that Hamas renters are having a hard time finding places to live in Gaza.

“The phenomenon of refusing to rent out homes to families of resistance fighters is a dangerous one,” Abu Marzouk wrote on his Facebook page,” according to a report by prominent Arab affairs reporter Khaled Abu Toameh, who writes for numerous publications.

“The landlords are punishing the resistance fighters and their families… This is what the occupation wants by targeting the homes of the resistance fighters,” he added.

Three major skyscrapers in Gaza City that contained residential apartments, as well as offices used by Hamas, were targeted during Israel’s counter terror Operation Protective Edge this summer; the Italian Complex, Al-Basha and Al-Zafer 4.

All three were leveled by Israeli air strikes.

The lesson was apparently well learned: this month the tenants of the Daoud Tower high-rise in Gaza City demanded that Hamas remove its Interior Ministry offices from their building, lest they be targeted next.

Printed from: http://www.jewishpress.com/news/breaking-news/thanks-but-no-thanks-gaza-landlords-refuse-to-rent-to-hamas/2014/09/15/

Scan this QR code to visit this page online: