web analytics
July 29, 2016 / 23 Tammuz, 5776

Posts Tagged ‘arson’

Three Jewish Youths Suspected Of Torching Arab Car In Response To Tel-Aviv Terror Attack

Thursday, July 14th, 2016

By Jonathan Benedek/TPS

Nazareth (TPS) – The Shin Bet (Israel Security Agency) published on Thursday that it arrested three Jewish teenagers who allegedly torched a car in an Arab village last month and sprayed the words “price tag” and “revenge” in Hebrew, in response to a deadly terror attack in Tel Aviv.

The Nazareth Magistrates Court has extended the detention of two of the suspects until Sunday, while the third minor who is suspected of assisting the two others will remain under arrest until Friday. The prosecution intends to file an indictment next week.

The 15-year-old suspects, who were arrested on Sunday and Monday this week, allegedly committed the nationalistically-motivated attack in response to the terrorist attack at the Sarona market in Tel Aviv that killed 4 Israelis.

According to the police, the suspects confessed to committing the arson attack. The suspects also reportedly revealed during the investigation that they had already planned a revenge attack for a long time beforehand.

However, the suspects’ attorney Lior Bar-Zohar challenged the veracity of the reported confession, particularly due to the fact that they had been prevented from meeting with an attorney until Wednesday night.

“The heavy-handed, intensive interrogation combined with not meeting with an attorney and the fact that these are normative minors who have never been arrested, casts a heavy shadow on the confession,” said Bar-Zohar. “We expect the court to examine the admissibility of the confession and whether it is based on real evidence, or just on manipulations and threats by the interrogators.”

Bar-Zohar belongs to Honenu, a legal aid organization that represents and defends legal rights of right-wing Jewish suspects. Honenu echoed Bar-Zohar’s arguments in a statement on Thursday.

“Denying minors of the basic right to receive legal representation has become the norm in cases of property crimes such as this one,” said Honenu. “Unfortunately, we do not see the same level of determination in investigating the hundreds of incidents in recent months in which Arabs threw rocks and molotov cocktails at Israeli targets.”

Michael Bachner contributed to this article.

TPS / Tazpit News Agency

Arson Attack Against Karmei Tzur

Sunday, June 26th, 2016

For the third time in the past week, Arabs set the brush around the fence of the community of Karmei Tzur in Gush Etzion on fire.

The latest arson attack happened just before 6 AM on Sunday morning, according to a TPS report.

The masked arsonists came up from the nearby Arab settlement of Beit Omer.

Local residents and the IDF managed to put out the fire.

Jewish Press News Briefs

Arabs Go Wild, Ignite Jewish Agricultural Fields Near Shilo

Saturday, June 25th, 2016

Some 80 Arabs from the Arab settlement of Kutzra went wild late Friday afternoon and started to burn down Jewish-owned agricultural fields near the town of Shilo and the Aish Kodesh community, according to a TPS report.

IDF troops came under massive stone throwing as they approached the area, and then responded with tear gas.

Residents came out to put out the fires before they spread further.

Jewish Press News Briefs

Prosecution Quietly Closes Duma Arson Suspect Case for Lack of Evidence

Sunday, June 19th, 2016

The prosecution last week informed attorney Adi Keidar of the Honenu legal aid society that the investigation of Kokhav HaShahar youth coordinator Natanel Forkowitz, who was arrested on suspicion of involvement in the Duma village arson murder, is being closed for lack of evidence. The announcement came six months after Forkowitz had been picked up by the Shabak secret police without any stated charges. He was then interrogated for 12 days without being allowed to see his lawyer.

According to Keidar, the admission of his client’s innocence was not initiated by the prosecution, but came in response to Keidar’s own inquiry regarding the status of Forkowitz’s case. Only then did Attorney Rachel Avishar Abeles from the Central District Prosecutor’s Office admit that the case had been closed.

Forkowitz, who was awarded the president’s badge of excellence during his military service, a family man with no criminal record, was guilty only of working as youth coordinator in Kokhav HaShahar, in the government run Hebrew Shepherd program to engage socially unaffiliated youth, a.k.a. hill youth. Forkowitz was picked up during his IDF reserves service.

The Shabak’s entire case against Forkowitz rested on the fact that he sold a vehicle to a youth hill from the Shilo block who was a suspect in the arson case. The interrogators insisted that Forkowitz had known of his vehicle’s involvement in the arson, and his own military record and his history of firm opposition to the “price tag” actions did not save him from the courts who kept extending his detention, relying on “secret information” his lawyers were not allowed to see.

In the end, there was no connection between the suspect in the Duma case and a vehicle, and the youth who had purchased it from Forkowitz was let go after 21-days’ detention that included abusive interrogation.

Attorney Keidar said in a statement that “this incident should disturb the sleep of all the citizens in this country, especially the residents of Judea and Samaria (Kokhav HaShahar is in the Benjamin region), who can find themselves in the all-powerful hold [of Shabak], detained under harsh conditions for no reason, all of it in order to serve the aims of Shabak interrogators who clearly knew all along that [Forkowitz] had no connection to the incident. It is also saddening that the courts have acquiesced to this behavior and did not cut it off at the beginning.”

David Israel

Light a Fire, Go to Jail

Monday, May 16th, 2016

The Fire and Rescue Commissioner issued an emergency edict Monday (May 16, 2016) under the authority of the Ministry of Public Security, banning all campfires in the State of Israel.

It is forbidden to light a campfire – any fire in a field outside – from 9 am to 7 pm in Israel. The penalty for violating the ban is a fine of NIS 70,000 or up to six months in jail.

Campfire ban May 16 2016 Ministry of Public Security

Campfire ban May 16 2016 Ministry of Public Security

Hundreds of fires broke out around the country Sunday due to the hot and dry weather conditions in Israel. Approximately 400 fires broke out, the head of the Israel firefighters’ operations division told Israel Radio.

Firefighters battled a blaze near Moshav Mata near Beit Shemesh, and another one near the Jerusalem neighborhood of Pisgat Ze’ev on Sunday evening, the latter due to a firebombing attack by Arab terrorists.

Fires broke out at Kibbutz Harel near Latrun, and at the village of Ajur, also near Beit Shemesh, as well as at Kfar Yona, east of Netanya.

The heat wave is expected to continue at least until Tuesday.

Hana Levi Julian

Terrorists Threw Firebombs at Hebrew University and Nearby IDF Base [video]

Saturday, May 14th, 2016

The fire department reports that firebombs were thrown at the fence of the Hebrew University-Har Hatzofim (Mount Scopus) on Saturday night. The fire is under control. No injuries were reported.

The fire department has been dealing with fires all week, some from the heat, and at least seven from arsonists, according to Channel 2.

Arsonists also ignited a large fire near the Ofrit army base in Jerusalem on Saturday night, which burnt up several acres of fields (see video below). The Orfit base is not far from the Hebrew University.

Police released footage of the arsonist fleeing to the nearby Arab neighborhood of Issawiya.

Last week, 7 soldiers were injured from smoke inhalation from another fire that started near the Ofrit base.

Jewish Press News Briefs

Shin Bet Says Latest Duma Arson Not by Jews, Dawabeshes Disagree

Sunday, March 20th, 2016

The Shabak (Shin Bet) released a statement that the latest arson attack in Duma was not committed by Jews. The rest of the details of the investigation remain under a gag order.

According to Channel 10, one resident of Duma claims he saw Chareidi (Ultra-Orthodox) Jews running away, while another members of the Dawabshe clan says the Shin Bet is lying, and it was settlers who threw the firebomb into the house last night.

The home that was attacked belongs to Ibrahim Dawabshe, the man who claims to have witnessed the attack that killed three members of the Dawabshe family in July 2015.

Ibrahim claims he saw two arsonists in July, and his testimony contradicts that of the Shin Bet, which claims that only one person was involved in the attack. The Shin Bet obtained their confession from the suspect through torture.

There is also an 18-year-old feud going on in the village, and quite a number of unexplained arson attacks. This is the second fire since the July 2015 attack and the fifth fire in the past year.

Palestinian Authority investigators said the previous fire was due to an electrical short, after some initial confusion on the villager’s part as to whether or not there was a firebomb. Israeli investigators were not allowed in to check for themselves.

Jewish Press News Briefs

Printed from: http://www.jewishpress.com/news/breaking-news/shin-bet-says-latest-duma-arson-not-by-jews-dawabeshes-disagree/2016/03/20/

Scan this QR code to visit this page online: