web analytics
December 2, 2015 / 20 Kislev, 5776
At a Glance

Posts Tagged ‘attack’

Terrorist Fails Attack Attempt on IDF Soldier in Hebron

Thursday, October 22nd, 2015

An Arab terrorist tried but failed to stab an IDF soldier in the Tel Rumeida neighborhood of Hebron, near the Cave of the Patriarchs, local sources said.

The attack occurred near the the Hassam Shoter checkpoint. IDF troops are in pursuit of the terrorist, who fled after he was blocked from reaching his target.

Initial reports indicate no one was injured.

Just two days ago, on Tuesday (Oct. 20) two Arab terrorists – 15-year-old Bashar Ja’abri and 17-year-old Husam Ja’abri stabbed an IDF soldier near a Jewish apartment building in Hebron on Tuesday night.

The soldier sustained a head injury. His fellow troops shot and killed both attackers. None of the Jewish residents of the building, Beit HaShalom (House of Peace) were hurt in the attack.

Earlier in the day, 50-year-old Avraham Asher Hasano of Kiryat Arba was murdered in a stone-throwing attack that targeted his vehicle as he was driving past the al-Fawar junction, southwest of Hebron.

When Hasano got out of his car due to the damage inflicted on the vehicle, he was struck and killed by an Arab truck driver who drove up behind him, and then fled to the Arab village of Dura, near Hebron.

The driver later turned himself in to the Palestinian Authority police, saying he feared for his life “in the current environment.” PA Police turned him over to Israel Police for questioning.

Video: Terror Attack in Old City of Jerusalem (Warning: GRAPHIC)

Sunday, October 4th, 2015

Two Israeli rabbis were murdered, a young mother and her 2-year-old toddler were seriously wounded, and her little daughter was terribly traumatized Saturday night as she watched a Jerusalem Arab terrorist attack her family and kill her father in cold blood.

Following is a video of the deadly attack by the 19-year-old Arab terrorist, filmed by a civilian passerby who happened to be in the area at the time.


Shas Activist Stabbed by Arab After Campaigning in Galilee

Monday, March 9th, 2015

A Shas Sephardic party activist was stabbed Sunday night after leaving a fund-raising parlor meeting at a Galilee village in northern Israel.

Michael Illouz was lightly wounded after being stabbed four times by an Arab attacker after he left the meeting in the village of Ein Mahal.

Illouz is the party’s liaison to the Arab Community; the suspected attacker is a resident of the village but an investigation is still ongoing to determine motive.

Shas has long been supported by the Arab Israeli sector due to the numerous issues the two voting blocs have in common, in particular, the issues of social services and child subsidies for large families.

The attacker tried to stab the Shas activist in the chest repeatedly, according to his son Yechiel, who spoke with the Hebrew-language NRG news site. “He suffered cuts to his hands and is now under care at Rambam Hospital [in Haifa].”

Shas party chairman Aryeh Deri called on Israel Police to “do everything possible to arrest the attacker. It is unacceptable that in a democratic state violence can be allowed to decide an election,” Deri said.

UK Jewish Schools and Synagogues Warned to Tighten Security

Thursday, February 19th, 2015

Jewish schools and synagogues in Britain were warned to tighten security this week following last weekend’s terror attacks in Copenhagen.

National Policing Lead for Counter Terrorism Assistant Commissioner Mark Rowley said in a statement this week the government has become more concerned “about the risk to the Jewish community in the UK.”

Security personnel “are in dialogue with Jewish community leaders about further actions that we will be taking, including more patrols in key areas,” Rowley added. Reports of anti-Semitic incidents in Britain more than doubled over the past year, according to the Community Security Trust (CST), which has reported security-related events in the British Jewish world since 1989.

Current funding for security around schools stands at $3.5 million, according to ABC News.

“It is very clear that Jewish institutions are targets,” European Jewish Association general director Rabbi Menachem Margolin told the news network. “Jewish institutions should be under surveillance 24/7.”

Not every Jew in Britain agrees, however, and some actually feel quite safe.

The president of the UK Board of Deputies of British Jews, Vivian Wireman, was quoted as saying “Jews in the UK are living in a safe environment. Although there is a danger of copycat attacks,” she acknowledged, she nevertheless maintained, “British Jews shouldn’t be too concerned.”

A group calling itself “Liberate Stamford Hill” has planned a rally on March 22 to protest the “Jewification of Great Britain.” The demonstration is set to take place in a district of northern London – Stamford Hill – that is home to the highest concentration of Orthodox Jews in Europe.

Netanyahu Charges Ynet, Yediot Acharanot with ‘Smear Campaign’

Monday, February 9th, 2015

The slings and arrows of Israeli election campaigning is so much more interesting than that which takes place in the United States. People really roll their sleeves up and get right down into it, you know?

Prime Minister Binyamin Netanyahu went straight to social media on Monday to blast the owner of Hebrew-language newspaper Yediot Acharonot and its online news service, Ynet over claims of biased coverage. His own rebuttal was also in Hebrew, translated into English courtesy of the Independent Media Review and Analysis watchdog group (IMRA).

“It’s time to put it on the table: the main factor behind the wave of calumny against me and my wife is Noni Mozes, the publisher of “Yediot Acharonot” and the website Ynet,” the prime minister wrote on his Facebook page. A similar charge also was posted to the prime minister’s page on Twitter.

“There’s no limit to what he is willing to do to bring down the Likud government under my leadership, to close the Yisrael Hayom newspaper and regain the destructive domination that Yediot Acharonot had on print news.”

Netanyahu accused the news outlet of attacking him and his wife Sarah “almost every hour, and sometimes every half hour on the Ynet website” with “ridiculous, false and biased smears.”

The prime minister acknowledged that not all the criticism aimed at his office came from Mozes. “There are many elements in the media who faithfully do their jobs,” he wrote. “They criticize the government on a substantive and sharp basis.

“But this is something else entirely: a businessman who has a strong presence in various types of media engaging in a systematic smear campaign against an incumbent prime minister to replace the ruling Israeli government to serve a clear business interest and personal financial gain.”

Netanyahu added that his own accusations were “just the tip of the iceberg” and vowed to “expand on this in the future.”

Stay tuned…

More Western Defense Workers Targeted in Saudi Arabia

Monday, February 2nd, 2015

Two American defense contractors were targeted by gunfire last Friday in Saudi Arabia, according to their employer, Vinnell Arabia, a firm which provides training for the Saudi National Guard.

It’s the second time in recent months the contractor’s workers have been targeted, according to the AFP news agency.

Saudi Arabia is in transition at the present time, with a new monarch, King Salman, having taken over for his late half-brother, King Abdullah, who died a week ago. Salman is also not likely to rule for very long, inasmuch as he is already ill himself; he has already named his youngest half-brother Muqrin as Crown Prince to follow him, as advised by the late monarch.

Abdullah had been seriously ill for months prior to his death, and the kingdom was facing some instability as its iron fisted ruler grew weaker.

“We can confirm… they were shot by assailants in the al-Ahsa province of Saudi Arabia,” the company said Monday in a statement via its public relations firm. “Both employees were injured but are in stable condition at a local hospital.”

Saudi police reportedly claimed that only one employee was wounded in the shooting, which took place just wast of a National Guard base near Hofuf city, in the east, near Saudi Arabia’s oil fields.

Several rounds were fired at the Vinnell vehicle from a white car, a source close to the incident told AFP. The employee driving the vehicle was hit several times. His passenger took over driving and raced to the hospital.

An American defense subcontractor for the Israel-based Elbit Systems firm died under mysterious circumstances in the kingdom on January 15 of this year as well. Saudi authorities are still trying to untangle the cause of death in that case, and have not yet released the body to the family of the victim.

Not counting that death in January, this is the fourth attack on Westerners in the kingdom since October 2014, when the U.S. began its coalition air strikes against the Islamic State in Iraq and Syria (ISIS).

One Vinnell employee was shot dead and a second was wounded at a gas station in Riyadh in October, allegedly by a U.S.-born Saudi who was fired from the company.

Interior Ministry spokesperson Gen. Mansour al-Turki said, “It was not a terrorist-related incident,” although the Saudi National Guard is intended to, among other things, combat “terrorism.”

A Danish citizen was attacked in a drive-by shooting in November as he was driving away from his workplace. Last month three Saudis were arrested by their own government in connection with that attack, allegedly for acting “in support of” ISIS.

One week after that attack, a Canadian citizen was stabbed at a mall on the Saudi Gulf coast, which the interior ministry again said was “not terrorist related.”

But the government did not hesitate to blame ISIS for the November killing of seven Shi’ite Saudis in the eastern province of the country.

Nearly 1,000 U.S. soldiers are soon to be sent to Saudi Arabia, Turkey and Qatar as consultants to train “moderate” Syrian rebel forces in the effort to fight ISIS. It is still not clear how many troops which go to each country.

Northern Golan Heights Declared Closed Military Zone

Wednesday, January 28th, 2015

The GOC Northern Command on Wednesday evening declared Israel’s northern border in the Golan Heights along the boundary with Syria to be a closed military zone.

The area affected stretches from Kibbutz Dafna in the Upper Galilee to the Druze town of Mas’ade in the northern Golan Heights. Included in the region are Kibbutz Dan, the border village of Ghajar, the Banias, Fort Nimrod, Neve Ativ, Majdal Shams and Mount Hermon.

The military announcement comes after the Iranian-backed Hezbollah terror organization launched the most serious attack on northern Israel seen since the start of the Syrian civil war.

Two IDF soldiers were killed and six others were wounded, including two with serious injuries, in an afternoon-long battle between the IDF and Hezbollah guerrillas operating in southern Lebanon. In addition, a Spanish peacekeeper serving in the UNIFIL force since November 2014 was killed during the exchange of gunfire.

The IDF has confirmed that Hezbollah fired six Kornet anti-tank missiles at a convoy traveling in northern Israel, and not two as originally reported. Three hit the convoy; one hit a house in the Druze village of Ghajar, setting it afire.

The convoy was comprised of two IDF vehicles leading two civilian vehicles on a road returning from the area of Mount Dov. It appears that the goal of the attack – as in the 2006 cross-border raid that launched the Second Lebanon War – was to spark a military provocation that would be a distraction while Hezbollah terrorists abducted one or more IDF soldiers or Israeli civilians. Hezbollah also reportedly simultaneously directed a round of mortar shells at the area near Metullah and around Mount Hermon.

Because civilians were involved in the attack – as well as the two IDF vehicles that were incinerated when they were struck and the soldiers who were killed – the incident is being considered in a far more serious light.

Prime Minister Binyamin Netanyahu convened the Security Cabinet to discuss the ramifications of the attack and to decide how Israel should respond.

UNIFIL is meanwhile attempting to negotiate a resumption of the ceasefire that was arranged between the two sides to end the Second Lebanon War, and which was violated today (Jan. 28.)

Printed from: http://www.jewishpress.com/news/breaking-news/northern-golan-heights-declared-a-closed-military-zone/2015/01/28/

Scan this QR code to visit this page online: