web analytics
March 30, 2015 / 10 Nisan, 5775
At a Glance

Posts Tagged ‘Judea’

Arab Rock Attacks on Israeli Drivers in Jerusalem, Gush Etzion

Monday, September 1st, 2014

Arab terror gangs have again attacked Israeli vehicles over the past few hours on main arteries around Jerusalem.

In the early afternoon, Egged Bus No. 161, which travels through the Etzion bloc in Gush Etzion, was the target of a massive rock attack as it drove towards the capital.

Arabs hurled rocks at the sides and windshield of the bus, hoping to distract or even injure the driver enough to force an accident and stop the bus. The deadly strategy, which has been used successfully in the past, would enable the terrorists to finish off the passengers as well as the driver.

The ambush occurred near the Beitar Illit junction and the attackers smashed the windshield of the bus, but did not succeed in distracting the driver, who was well-trained. He kept the vehicle moving and drove out of harm’s way.

Miraculously, no one was physically injured although a number of passengers were traumatized by the incident.

Earlier in the day, a private vehicle was also targeted in a separate attack near Hadassah Medical Center at Mount Scopus.

Private car ambushed in Arab rock attack about 200 meters from the entrance to Hadassah Medical Center at Mt. Scopus on Sept. 1, 2014.

Private car ambushed in Arab rock attack about 200 meters from the entrance to Hadassah Medical Center at Mt. Scopus on Sept. 1, 2014.

The driver of the vehicle told the Hebrew-language 0404 website that he and his wife were attacked by Arabs about 200 meters ahead of the entrance to the medical center.

Early this morning, the Jerusalem Light Rail was also attacked by Arab thugs who hurled rocks at the train as it passed through the capital’s northern neighborhood of Shuafat. The attackers did not succeed in damaging the cars — this time — and none of the passengers were physically injured although some were traumatized.

The Light Rail only returned the route to full service through northern Jerusalem this week, after a forced hiatus due to damage caused by four attacks in a 12-hour span on Aug. 25. Rioting Arabs in Shuafat targeted the train and hurled a rain of rocks and firebombs at the rail cars, damaging several at a cost of tens of thousands of shekels and terrifying the passengers. The route was suspended for a week — cutting off service to thousands of Jewish and Arab commuters who use the line in northern Jerusalem neighborhoods.

The move followed a period in which service was suspended in early July due to the destruction of three stops in Shuafat by rioting Arabs who vowed to permanently stop the train from ever passing through the neighborhood again.

Ya’alon Seeks Peaceful Means to Evacuate New Outposts

Sunday, August 17th, 2014

In Gush Etzion, Defense Minister Moshe Ya’alon has suggested a swap in order to convince residents of a newly-established outpost to leave their homes in communities with fresh wounds attached to the sites.

Move out, Ya’alon told the Gush Etzion Regional Council, and he would approve legal status for 24 new homes and a new farm instead.

Three outposts were started in July in the memory of the three teens who were kidnapped and murdered by Hamas terrorists in Gush Etzion as they were hitchhiking home for the Sabbath on June 12.

One was located near Bat Ayin and close to where the boys were kidnapped. Another was set up in Tekoa Hey, a hill near the town of Tekoa in eastern Gush Etzion. The new outposts, named Ramat HaShlosha (Heights of The Three) were expected to grow into a Jewish community established in their names in July as a response to the terror attack.

The third was Talmei Chaim, established on Hill 22 just north of Kiryat Aba but within the city limits, and intended to reach towards the area where they boys’ bodies were found.

Two more sites were also established on the night the boys’ bodies were found: one near the northeastern Jerusalem suburb of Ma’ale Adumim and the other near the community of Karmei Tzur, very close to the burial site.

Their bodies were discovered in a field belonging to the Qawasme clan near the Palestinian Arab town of Halhul, north of Hevron and south of Gush Etzion, on June 30.

Ancient Money Box from Second Temple Era Discovered Near Jerusalem–Tel Aviv Highway

Tuesday, August 5th, 2014

Pottery sherds, or fragments, discovered by an Israel Antiquities Authority inspector several months ago, during extensive work by the Netivei Israel – National Transport Infrastructure Company, Ltd. on the new Highway 1 project resulted in an archaeological excavation. A previously unknown settlement from the Late Second Temple period was discovered, as well as a rare hoard of coins that was found in one of its houses along the new highway connecting Jerusalem and Tel Aviv. The hoard, which was kept in a ceramic money box, included 114 bronze coins dating to the Year Four of the Great Revolt against the Romans. This revolt led to the destruction of the Temple on Tisha B’Av (the ninth day of the Hebrew month of Av), 2,000 years ago.

“One of the significant points of the find is that all the coins were all dated to the same year and each have the same worth,” Pablo Betzer, one of the excavation directors of the Israel antiquities Authority told Tazpit News Agency. “The location of the find is also significant as it was found outside Jerusalem.”

According to Betzer and Eyal Marco, the other excavation director on behalf of the Israel Antiquities Authority, the hoard appeared to have been buried several months prior to the fall of Jerusalem. “It provides us a glimpse into the lives of Jews living on the outskirts of Jerusalem at the end of the rebellion.”

“Evidently someone here feared the end was approaching – perhaps he could see the advancing Roman army and did not want to take a chance. He hid his property in the hope of collecting it later when calm was restored to the region,” Betzer told Tazpit.

The hoard as it was found in the excavation.

The hoard as it was found in the excavation.

All of the coins are stamped on one side with a chalice and the Hebrew inscription “To the Redemption of Zion” and on the other side with a motif that includes a bundle of lulav between two etrogs. Around this is the Hebrew inscription “Year Four”, that is, the fourth year of the Great Revolt of the Jews against the Romans (69/70 CE).

The hoard was concealed in the corner of a room, perhaps inside a wall niche or buried in the floor and was discovered after three weeks of digs in the area. Two other rooms and a courtyard belonging to the same building were exposed during the course of the archaeological excavation. The structure was built in the first century BCE and was destroyed in 69 or 70 CE when the Romans were suppressing the Great Revolt. Early in the second century CE part of the building was reinhabited for a brief period, which culminated in the destruction of the Jewish settlement in Judea as a result of the Bar Kokhba rebellion. This is attested to by three complete jars that were discovered embedded in the courtyard floor.

It seems that the residents of this village, like most of the Jewish villages in Judea, were active participants in both of the major uprisings against the Romans – the Great Revolt and the Bar Kokhba Revolt. As a result of their involvement the place was destroyed twice, and was not resettled.

The Israel Antiquities Authority and Netivei Israel Company are examining the possibility of preserving the village remains within the framework of the landscape development alongside the highway.

Chloe Valdary at Memphis Friends of Israel (video)

Tuesday, July 8th, 2014

IDF Pursues Operation Brother’s Keeper

Thursday, July 3rd, 2014

IDF soldiers continued Tuesday night and into Wednesday to pursue the murderers of Eyal Yifrach, 19, Gilad Sha’ar, 16 and Naftali Frenkel, 16, and to cut down the infrastructure of the Hamas terrorist organization in Judea and Samaria.

Soldiers arrested 13 Palestinian Authority Arab fugitives overnight throughout Judea and Samaria.

Hamas social organizations – the ‘Dawa’ used to distribute goods and raise funds from the population – also continued to be shut down by IDF troops in Hevron and nearby Beit Kahil.

The Israel Security Agency (Shin Bet) also continues to gather intelligence on the whereabouts of the perpetrators, and the mastermind of the operation that took the lives of the three Israeli teens.

Likud Beytenu Minister: Death Penalty for Repeat Terrorists

Wednesday, July 2nd, 2014

Likud Beytenu Deputy Transportation Minister Tzipi Hotovely is calling for the death penalty for terrorists who repeat their crimes.

Hotovely said Tuesday in an interview with Arutz Sheva that it is not enough to simply build more communities in Judea and Samaria in response to terrorist attacks.

Nor have targeted surgical strikes in Gaza proven to be a sufficient deterrent to terrorist organizations who appear intent on continuing their attacks on Israeli civilians.

“This is the first incident to come out of Judea and Samaria after the Hamas and Fatah unity pact,” Hotovely said. “It cost the lives of three innocent boys who wanted to return home safely. The government must now think about a long-term strategic move that will restore the deterrence.”

The MK’s remarks followed by a day the funeral for three Israeli teens who were kidnapped while hitchhiking home from yeshiva in Gush Etzion and murdered by Arab terrorists within hours of their capture on June 12. Thousands attended the funeral — and hundreds of thousands are demanding the government do something to ensure it’s the last time terrorists can succeed in their efforts.

To date, the only criminal ever to be put to death in the Jewish State was top Nazi official Adolf Eichmann. Israel does technically have the death penalty on the books – but it has never implemented it.

Hotovely contended that it is time to “change the rules of the game” and put that law into action.

She also said it is time to annex all the areas with a Jewish majority in Judea and Samaria. This would include all the territory in Area C.

One of the Murdered Boys Put Up a Fight, Source Says

Tuesday, July 1st, 2014

One of the three boys kidnapped by Arab terrorists on June 12 gave a good accounting of himself and put up a fight before he was murdered, a source said.

The source is involved in the forensic identification process of three bodies found in a field near Halhul Monday evening and said one of the boys fought back against his attackers.

The source told the Walla! news site that forensic evidence being gathered at the Abu Kabir Institute shows that one of the teens put up “meaningful resistance” against the kidnappers.

The boys were abducted by terrorists while hitchhiking home from their yeshiva for the Sabbath, at a routine hitching stop in Gush Etzion. An IDF source told the news site that after the Arab terrorists grabbed the boys near the Jewish community of Alon Shevut, the vehicle they were traveling in headed west and then made a U-turn to go south towards Hevron.

Within minutes, at about 10:25 p.m., one of the boys called the “100″ police hotline, whispering into the cell phone, “I’ve been kidnapped. We’ve been kidnapped!” He then went silent, perhaps fearing his captors would discover he was using the phone. Shortly after the call was made, shots were fired and the phone went dead, a little more than two minutes later.

It is likely the terrorists decided to cut their losses and run. They had no way of knowing that police had bumbled the call, leaving open a window of more than five hours before anyone in supervision or above would even take the call seriously, let alone bother to follow it up. (At least four senior police officers have been dismissed as a result of that decision.)

Instead, the kidnappers likely believed that police would soon be on their tail – and decided to end all doubts, murdering the boys and escaping with their own lives intact.

Within hours of starting their search, security forces found a burned-out vehicle, a rifle and bullet casings near the Palestinian Authority Arab village of Dura, slightly south of Hevron – a hotbed of Hamas terrorists, among others. It’s been searched repeatedly by IDF soldiers in the past 19 days.

But no kidnapped boys were found; no bodies and no perpetrators. The terrorists took just enough time to hurriedly transport and bury their victims’ bodies in a shallow cave that is barely visible in a farmer’s stony field, alongside the PA Arab village of Halhul — another classic ‘terrorist central’ stronghold.

Thanks to the determination and unending energy of tens of thousands of IDF soldiers, and the intensive efforts of the Israel Security Agency (Shin Bet) agents, searchers were led in the direction of that field Monday afternoon.

Despite fierce resistance from surrounding villagers who clearly knew what was concealed there, at last the searchers reached their first objective in Operation Brother’s Keeper, and found the sad evidence they were looking for.

Let the memory of Eyal Yifrach, Naftali Frenkel and Gilad Sha’ar not fade, let their blood not have flowed in vain.

May their memories be for a blessing and may God avenge their blood.

May the soldiers of the IDF and the agents of the Shin Bet find success in the next phase of Operation Brother’s Keeper as they continue their hunt for the murders of our boys.

Printed from: http://www.jewishpress.com/news/breaking-news/one-of-the-murdered-boys-put-up-a-fight-source-says/2014/07/01/

Scan this QR code to visit this page online: