…children who are spinning out of control, and who refuse any form of intervention, must understand that there are gedorim, red flags and lines which cannot be crossed while still using the home as a base once they have gone off the derech. There is no unconditional love in these circumstances. When a child does not want any help from therapists, psychologists, social workers, family members, rabbonim, he/she cannot expect that his/her parents will love him as before. Such a child must know and feel that the door is always open as long as he/she opens a pesach shel machat.
Having dealt firsthand with similar situations for over sixteen years, it is our very strong recommendation to parents that their message to their OTD child and his/her siblings be one of unconditional love with no exceptions. Love does not mean acceptance. It means that the place our children hold in our hearts is not diminished regardless of how much they disappoint or even hurt us.
About the Author: Harry Maryles runs the blog "Emes Ve-Emunah" which focuses on current events and issues that effect the Jewish world in general and Orthodoxy in particular. It discuses Hashkafa and news events of the day - from a Centrist perspctive and a philosphy of Torah U'Mada. He can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org.
If you don't see your comment after publishing it, refresh the page.
Our comments section is intended for meaningful responses and debates in a civilized manner. We ask that you respect the fact that we are a religious Jewish website and avoid inappropriate language at all cost.
- B’klyn College Pro-Israel Students Deserve More than Late Apology
on March 11, 2014 6:48 AM
- Apology for Monday’s Op-Ed
on March 11, 2014 12:16 AM
- Iranian Bought Tix for Stolen Passport Holders on Malaysia Plane
on March 10, 2014 10:45 PM
- US Juggling Act: ‘Diplomacy with Iran and Censure of Weapons Ship’
on March 10, 2014 10:33 PM
- Netanyahu Calls Rouhani ‘Nothing More than a PR Man’
on March 10, 2014 10:03 PM
- Anti-Israel Hackers Plan Mass Attack for April 7 (Video)
on March 10, 2014 10:00 PM
- Holocaust Survivor Dies before Able to Testify for Md. Rail Bill
on March 10, 2014 9:44 PM
- Ari Harow Returns as Bibi’s Chief of Staff
on March 10, 2014 9:37 PM
- IDF Kills Stone Throwing Terrorist
on March 10, 2014 8:59 PM
- ‘The IRS Wants YOU’ and Israel Is Going to Help Them
on March 10, 2014 7:08 PM
- Arab League Still Firmly Rejecting Israel as Jewish State
on March 10, 2014 6:50 PM
- Americans in Beit Shemesh Present the Better Side of Haredim
on March 10, 2014 4:47 PM
- Photo Essay: The Iranian Weapons Unloaded
on March 10, 2014 4:33 PM
- Syrian Rebels Decimating Hezbollah
on March 10, 2014 4:17 PM
- PA Terrorist Who Bombed Tel Aviv Bus Sentenced to 25 Years
on March 10, 2014 3:38 PM