French police have surrounded the holdout of a man they believe was responsible for the killings of seven people in south west France.
The suspect is reportedly refusing to surrender to police following the pre-dawn raid in the Croix-Daurade district of the city of Toulouse and his mother has been brought to the scene to help negotiations.
An attempt to arrest the suspect appears imminent.
Up to seven shots rang out in the raid. Reports also say the suspect’s brother has been arrested in the raid.
France’s interior minister Claude Gueant told reporters at the scene that the suspect has links to Jihadist and Salafist groups.
The elite officers were injured during a Wednesday pre-dawn raid in Toulouse, as the search continued for the gunman who entered the school Monday.
The suspect is thought to be 24-years-old and had reportedly previously traveled to the border area between Pakistan and Afghanistan, which has been known to house al Qaeda safehouses.
Chief prosecutor in Paris, Francois Molins, who is monitoring the investigation in Toulouse, warned there could be more murders.
“At this stage, everything is being done to identify, find and stop the perpetrator, of these three killings as fast as possible,” he said. “In these exceptional circumstances, I think it is obvious that we are up against an extremely determined individual, who knows he’s being hunted, who could strike again.”