web analytics
May 1, 2016 / 23 Nisan, 5776

Posts Tagged ‘islamic state’

Syrian Army Uncovers Nightmare in Palmyra

Saturday, April 2nd, 2016

In Palmyra’s ancient Temple of Bel, conquering Syrian soldiers found ISIS terrorists buried human sacrifices and land mines alike.

The site was recaptured from the Da’esh (ISIS) terror group a week ago by the Syrian military backed by Russian forces. Da’esh had seized control over the UNESCO heritage site in May 2015.

Forty-two victims of the bloodthirsty faith of Da’esh (ISIS), of whom 24 were civilians and three were children, were found Friday in a mass grave at the site, AFP reported. All had been beheaded or shot to death.

The news agency quoted a military source who said the soldiers “uncovered a mass grave of officers, soldiers, members of the popular committees (pro-regime militia) and their relatives.” At least 280 people were murdered by Da’esh during the time the terror group held the site, according to the UK-based Syrian Observatory for Human Rights.

The ruins of the ancient city were also honeycombed with land mines as well, according to a Reuters reporter who quoted a Syrian officer, in hopes of creating an even larger mass grave.

Thousands of mines were rigged in the main streets and side roads of Palmyra, weighing up to 50 kg, and planned to detonate simultaneously as conquering forces moved in.

“All the government buildings are rigged in a network connected to the Da’esh leadership headquarters,” the Syrian officer said. “The idea was that as we enter it would all go off at once, not just bomb by bomb. And there are a really huge number of bombs.”

More than 3,000 of the roadside bombs and land mines have already been defused since the site was retaken, according to the report. He did not explain why the explosives did not detonate.

Hana Levi Julian

Navy Simulates Hijacking of Israeli Ship by ISIS Terrorists

Thursday, March 31st, 2016

By Michael Bachner/TPS

Eilat (TPS) – The IDF has conducted a large-scale naval drill in Eilat that concluded early Thursday morning, March 31. One of the scenarios the drill simulated was the hijacking of a civilian Israeli vessel by the Islamic State (ISIS).

All navy units, including the elite Shayetet 13 special commando unit, participated in the exercise. According to the IDF, it was meant to practice the navy’s quick reaction to immediate threats under pressure.

The scenarios simulated during the drill included terrorists invading Israel’s borders by sea; an attempted terror attack directed at an Israeli vessel; and taking over an Israeli vessel hijacked by ISIS terrorists. The latter scenario was exercised by Shayetet 13.

Increased ISIS influence and activity in the Sinai is viewed as a potential threat in Israel, and a senior navy officer said the drill is meant to improve the response to events of maritime terror attacks.

The IDF Spokesperson’s Unit explained that the drill had been planned ahead of time and that its goal is to continue training the forces in different scenarios.

TPS / Tazpit News Agency

Sky News: ISIS Plots ‘Imminent’ Attack on Turkish Jewish Children

Tuesday, March 29th, 2016

Da’esh (ISIS) terrorists have moved ahead with a plot to attack Jewish children in Turkey, according to a report by Sky News.

Turkish intelligence has warned of an “imminent” attack by the terror group, targeting schools, youth centers and kindergartens. The information was gleaned from six ISIS operatives arrested last week.

In Istanbul, the most likely target is said to be the synagogue in the Beyoglu district, which includes a Jewish school and community center. This synagogue is located close to the site where a suicide bombing by a Da’esh operative took place just 10 days ago, near the popular Taksim tourist area.

Three Israelis and an Iranian national died in that attack and dozens were wounded, including 11 Israelis. It is still not clear whether the bomber was targeting the Israeli tour group that was in the area at the time, or not, but at least one report claims the group was tracked by the bomber from the time they left their hotel.

A similar bombing, albeit on a larger scale was carried out by Da’esh last week in the Belgian capital of Brussels. Two suicide bombers blew up the departure hall at Saventem International Airport and another bomber blew up a metro station close to the headquarters of the European Union. At least 35 people were killed and more than 300 people were wounded in the multi-site attack.

“In light of these circumstances, extraordinary security measures are being taken above and beyond the high alert level already in place by the Turkish police, as well as vigilance within the Jewish community,” an intelligence source told Sky News.

“Undercover and other covert counter-terror measures are being implemented around the clock… This is a more than credible threat,” the source added. “This is an active plot.”

In light of the current threat, Israel has issued a Level 2 terror alert, urging its citizens not to travel to Turkey right now and those who are already there to leave as soon as possible.

Hana Levi Julian

3 More Terrorists Charged in Brussels Airport, Metro Attacks

Sunday, March 27th, 2016

Officials say three more terror suspects were charged in the Islamic State (ISIS) attacks on Zaventem Airport and the metro station near the headquarters of the European Union in Brussels last week.

Faycal Cheffou, the man in the light vest and dark hat seen in the airport CCTV video footage last week was arrested Thursday. The Belgian Federal Prosecutor’s Office said he was charged with “involvement in a terrorist group, terrorist murder and attempted terrorist murder,” according to Fox News. Belgian media said Cheffou was a local activist known to police as an agitator who tried to convert local homeless and asylum-seekers to radical Islam.

Two other suspects arrested Thursday, Raba N. and Aboubakar A., were both charged with “involvement in the activities of a terrorist group.”

On Sunday, police in Italy arrested an Algerian suspect in Bellizzi in the Salerno province, according to the ANSA Italian news agency.

The Algerian suspect is wanted by Belgian authorities on suspicion of producing fake residency documents linked to the Brussels Attacks, Italian National Police told CNN. In addition, he is also wanted in connection with the Nov. 13 terrorist massacre in Paris, police said in a statement on Twitter.

An American couple has been identified among the dead from last Tuesday’s attack in Brussels.

Justin and Stephanie Shults, ages 30 and 29 respectively, were missing since last Tuesday. Both were graduates of Vanderbilt University’s Owen Graduate School of Management. They were dropping off Stephanie’s mother at the airport when the bombers detonated their explosives. The mother emerged unscathed.

Officials revised the death toll from the Brussels attacks to 28, removing the bodies of the three suicide bombers from the count. Thus far, 24 of the victims have been identified by Brussels officials.

Hana Levi Julian

Brussels Police Find Third Bomb, Evacuate Nuclear Plants as ISIS Takes Responsibility for Attack

Tuesday, March 22nd, 2016

Brussels police sappers neutralized a third bomb at Zaventem Airport on Tuesday after two suicide bombers blew themselves up in the departure hall hours earlier. The bomb, filled with nails, was discovered in a security sweep following the attack. It was safely detonated in a controlled explosion by sappers from the city’s bomb squad.

The Amaq news agency affiliated with the Islamic State terrorist organization issued a bulletin Tuesday afternoon claiming that ISIS was responsible for the attacks. The SITE intelligence watchdog group verified the claim.

“Islamic State fighters carried out a series of bombings with explosive belts and devices on Tuesday, targeting an airport and a central metro station in the center of the Belgian capital, Brussels, a country participating in the coalition against the Islamic State,” it said. “Islamic State fighters opened fire inside the Zaventem airport, before several of them detonated their explosive belts, as a martyrdom bomber detonated his explosive belt in the Maelbeek metro station.”

It is still not entirely clear how many people were killed and how many wounded at the airport and in the attack at the Brussels metro. Figures vary wildly, depending on the source – even varying between government agencies.

So far the death toll ranges from 10 to 14 dead in the attack at the airport, with between 81 to 100 wounded. In the attack at the Maelbeek metro station, the figures appear more consistent, with the death toll settled at 20; but the number of wounded ranges from 100 to 130.

Three suicide belts packed with explosives were discovered in the airport during the sweep. Also found on the terminal floor after the attack was a Kalashnikov AK-47 assault rifle with ammunition, near the body of one of the terrorists.

“Suspicious objects” were also found in the Maelbeek subway station and near Brussels University, located a bit further away. The bomb squad safely detonated those two as well.

However, the discovery of an additional suspicious package prompted police to re-establish a security cordon at the airport, according to Flemish broadcaster VTM.

Two suspicious packages were also found inside the offices of the National Pensions Office in Brussels, prompting authorities to clear the building, state-run RTBF reported.

Two nuclear power plants were shut down and evacuated by police, but few details were provided about the reason for the move. All but essential staff were evacuated from the nuclear plants in Tihange and Doel under orders by Belgian police, according to a spokesperson from Engie, the French firm that operates the facilities.

The office of Belgian federal prosecutor Frederic Van Leeuw confirmed Tuesday night that raids conducted in the northern Brussels suburb of Schaarbeek “led to the discovery of [another] explosive device containing nails, among other things. The investigators have also discovered chemical products and an Islamic State flag,” according to the statement quoted by The Guardian.

The prosecutor told reporters at an earlier news conference there had been a total of three explosions earlier in the day – two at the airport and one in Maelbeek, rather than three at the metro as earlier reported. Two of three men seen in a CCTV photo leaked to European media “very likely” committed the suicide attack, according to Van Leeuw. He also confirmed there is an active manhunt underway for that third individual, seen in the footage at the airport, dressed in white.

The Belgian government received statements of condolence and support from leaders and governments around the world, including Israel, Turkey, the Gulf Cooperation Council, Egypt, all of the members of the European Union and NATO, the United States and elsewhere.

“This is a cowardly attack, an attack on our values and on our open societies,” NATO Secretary-General Jens Stoltenberg said in a statement. “Terrorism will not defeat democracy and take away our freedoms.”

Hana Levi Julian

ISIS Terrorists in Istanbul Followed Israelis Before Attack

Monday, March 21st, 2016

The terrorist who attacked an Israeli group in Istanbul on Saturday followed them from the moment they left the hotel that morning before detonating his suicide vest, according to the area’s security cameras.

At least one and possibly as many as four Turkish terrorists followed the group of 14 Israeli tourists from their Besiktas hotel to Istiklal Street before launching the deadly attack that killed and maimed dozens. Three of the Israelis, two with dual U.S. citizenship, were killed and the rest of the group members were injured in the blast.

President Recep Tayyip Erdogan and Prime Minister Ahmet Davutoglu both sent letters of condolence to their Israeli counterparts following the attack.

A total of four people were killed and 39 others were wounded, among them 11 Israeli citizens. Four people remained hospitalized in Istanbul Monday in critical condition, according to the Daily Sabah newspaper. Turkish intelligence officials said after examining security footage in the area, the Israelis — who were on a culinary tour — had been followed that morning from the time they left their hotel.

The terrorists faded back into an alley as the group stopped at a restaurant to have breakfast, according to a report published on the Turkish-language Haberturk news site.

Minutes after the group resumed its tour after breakfast, Mehmet Öztürk detonated his suicide vest. DNA testing confirmed the suicide bomber’s identity; he was a resident of the Turkish town of Gaziantep, and a Da’esh operative of the Islamic State terror group.

Turkish police continued searching on Monday for three other alleged Da’esh terrorists, according to the Daily Sabah. The suspects are believed to be planning further attacks in the wake of Saturday’s suicide bombing.

Photos of the three suspects, Haci Ali Dumaz, Savas Yildiz and Yunus Durmaz, were published in the newspaper in hopes that citizens might see and identify them to police. All are Turkish nationals. Police said the suspects have been given instructions to “carry out further attacks in crowded areas, primarily in Istanbul.”

Yildiz was initially believed to have been the operative who blew himself up in Saturday’s attack. The bombing was the sixth in Turkey since last July, the fourth perpetrated by ISIS. Two others were carried out by the outlawed Kurdistan Workers Party, the PKK terrorist organization.

Hana Levi Julian

Prime Paris Attack Mastermind Abdeslam Salah is Caught

Sunday, March 20th, 2016

Prime ISIS Paris terror mastermind Salah Abdeslam, arrested in Brussels last Friday, was charged on Saturday with terrorism offenses in connection with the attacks on November 13.

Abdelslam has been connected with the attack as a key member of the ISIS terror organization that attacked the French capital in a multi-site operation whose ripple effect still reaches out.

Abdeslam told police during questioning he was supposed to blow himself up – as did others – at the Stade de France.

But at the last minute, he told interrogators he had second thoughts and backed out.

The French national, born to Moroccan parents in Belgium, once ran a bar with his brother Brahim in Molenbeek, who also helped in the attacks. But it was Abdeslam who rented the cars involved in the attacks and booked the hotel rooms used by the operatives.

French prosecutor Francois Molins said at a news conference in Paris on Saturday the would-be bomber’s claims raise further questions about the scope of the operation.

Suicide bombers blew themselves near the national stadium, operatives opened fire on bars and restaurants, and terrorists were firing Kalashnikov assault rifles into a rock concert at the Bataclan concert hall that night.

He was shot and injured in a raid by anti-terrorism police in the Molenbeek area of Brussels last year, where he grew up. But Abdeslam still managed to stay hidden, according to the British Guardian newspaper.

Three suspects were arrested altogether, but Abdeslam would be extradited to France. The probe is wide and ongoing because the network is “very large in Belgium, France and other European countries,” French President Francois Hollande told reporters on Friday.

“We know there are links which always lead us to Syria, where the Da’esh (ISIS) extremists planned these attacks.”

Hana Levi Julian

Printed from: http://www.jewishpress.com/news/breaking-news/prime-paris-attack-mastermind-abdeslam-salah-is-caught/2016/03/20/

Scan this QR code to visit this page online: