web analytics
December 8, 2016 / 8 Kislev, 5777

Posts Tagged ‘terrorist attack’

Joint Israeli Security Team Captures Hamas Terrorist Cell Behind Fiery Jerusalem Bus Bombing

Sunday, May 29th, 2016

A joint operation involving IDF soldiers, Israeli Police and Israel Security Agency (ISA) operatives has ended with the arrest of the six-member Hamas terror cell that allegedly blew up a bus in Jerusalem on April 18, 2016.

The suspects manufactured and assembled the bomb that was used in the attack on Bus #12 in Jerusalem this past April, wounding 20 people. Two of the victims in the attack, a man, 30, and a woman, 28, were critically injured, six moderately and the rest sustained light injuries, including two children ages 10 and 12.

Udi Gal, spokesman for the Jerusalem Fire Dept. told the media that “enormous flames that erupted in one bus reached the other. Both buses were ignited completely and a nearby vehicle was burnt as well. Luckily, no one was trapped inside.”

The terror cell, near Bethlehem, had planned a series of attacks to be carried out in Jerusalem and surrounds, according to the ISA (Shin Bet) intelligence agency. Investigators revealed the six terrorists who comprised the cell were planning a suicide bombing. In addition, they planned to carry out shootings and vehicle ramming attacks.

According to the statement released by the Shin Bet, the investigation also revealed that two of the terrorists being held had been involved in a separate shooting attack last year.

Suspected terrorist Abdel Hamid Abu Srour, 19, died of the wounds he sustained in the attack. He was a resident of Aida, near Bethlehem.

Following Abu Srour’s death, the Hamas terror organization claimed responsibility for the attack and called him a “martyr.” Spontaneous celebrations erupted in Bethlehem and Gaza, with people passing out candy in the streets to celebrate the bombing, characterized by the Shin Bet as a suicide bombing.

Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu vowed in the evening just a few hours after the attack, “We will locate the men who created this bomb, we will reach the men who sent the bomber as well as the ones behind them. We will settle the account with these terrorists.”

The suicide bomber is dead. The remaining six suspects are currently being held in custody and a request to extend their remand until the end of court proceedings is expected to be submitted shortly.

Hana Levi Julian

World Condemnations After Brussels Terror Attack Leaves 34 Dead, 136 Wounded

Tuesday, March 22nd, 2016

“We are facing a difficult, challenging time and we should face up to this by being united,” Belgian Prime Minister Charles Michel said after the attack in a televised news conference. “What we feared, has happened… There are many dead, many injured.”

Officials asked the public for blood donations.

Belgium has raised national security to Level 4, its highest level, in the wake of Tuesday morning’s multi-site terror attacks in Brussels.

According to the Belgian Health Ministry, a total of 34 people were killed and 136 others were wounded in the two explosions at the Brussels international airport and in three explosions on the Brussels metro train system. At the airport, 14 were killed; 20 more were killed in the attacks on the metro, according to Flemish broadcaster VRT.

A Kalashnikov AK-47 assault rifle was found at the departure lounge following the attack – the same type used by the ISIS terrorists during the Nov. 13 attacks in Paris.

Public transportation networks were disrupted throughout Brussels. Security across the European continent has been tightened as well. All flights in and out of Brussels were canceled.

The Belgian Royal Palace was evacuated in response to the attacks, according to state broadcaster RTBF.

Following the incident, King Philippe and Queen Mathilde issued a statement saying they were “Distressed by the odious attacks on Brussels-National and the Brussels metro. Our thoughts are with the victims, families and emergency services.”

Flags at the European Commission — just a few hundred meters away — were lowered. A spokesperson for the commission said Europe was united against terrorism. “We stand together, united against terror and in full solidarity with the people of Brussels,” the statement said.

Israel expressed its support for Belgium as well. “Solidarity with Belgium, the latest victim of the hatred unleashed by Islamic extremism,” Foreign Ministry spokesperson Emmanuel Nachshon tweeted.

Security experts warned of possible copycat attacks being carried out in other European cities; in response, London and Paris raised their alert levels. In London, Paris, Amsterdam and Frankfurt security was tightened.

French President Francoise Hollande condemned what he called the “heinous” attacks, saying it was really Europe that had been targeted. Hollande added the whole world should be concerned, calling the terrorism a “global threat which necessitates a global response.” At Charles de Gaulle airport in Paris armed guards and other military personnel boosted security there and at other borders.

Britain’s Prime Minister David Cameron said the UK would do all it could to assist Belgium in the crisis, as London’s Heathrow and Gatwick airports bristled with upgraded security. “I am shocked and concerned by the events in Brussels,” Cameron tweeted shortly after the news broke. “We will do everything we can to help.” The British prime minister is set to meet Tuesday evening with the counter terror Cobra committee.

The countries of Europe need to “stand together “ against terror, Cameron said. “We face a very real terrorist threat right across the different countries of Europe and we have to meet that with everything we have.” A united front is needed “against these appalling terrorists to make sure they can never win,” he added.

The British prime minister spoke with his Belgian counterpart to offer condolences and security support. The UK threat level, meanwhile, remains at “severe,” meaning an attack is assessed to be highly likely, according to The Guardian news site. Additional police officers have been deployed around London.

Condemnations of the attack and statements of condolence poured in from around the world, including from Russia’s President Vladimir Putin, India’s Prime Minister Narendra Modi and Afghanistan’s President Ashraf Ghani.

CNN bureau anchor Max Foster in London was blunt in pointing out that the terror group was carrying out its declared intention to conduct a jihad against Western civilization – beginning with Europe.

The attack on a major European city was not unexpected, Foster said; the head of counter terror in London was “expecting it at some point.” This might be it, Foster said, “some big spectacular attack in multiple locations on a European city.” It could be anywhere.

“This is an attack on Western lifestyle now,” Foster said. “It’s not the lone wolf radicalized online that we’ve been hearing so much about in the past.” This is something else, he pointed out. It’s a military-style operation – trained attackers with a strategy.

Hana Levi Julian

US Embassy Warned Personnel, Citizens About Impending Attack

Sunday, March 13th, 2016

The U.S. Embassy in Turkey issued a security warning two days before a bomb-laden car exploded in central Ankara at around 6:35 pm Sunday night, sending flames shooting so high the smoke could be seen from 2.5 kilometers away.

The American Embassy had warned about a potential plot to attack Turkish government buildings and housing in an Ankara neighborhood, according to international media.

The embassy warned U.S. citizens to avoid those areas, according to the report.

At least 27 people were killed and 75 others were wounded after a car packed with explosives detonated between two passenger buses in Ankara’s Kizilay Square, a central transportation, commercial and entertainment center. Numerous vehicles were ignited and burst into flames at the scene. Several buses also were partly burned or completely incinerated.

The area was quickly evacuated as a precaution against a second attack, according to the Turkish Hurriyet Daily News site. Wounded victims were rushed to 10 different hospitals across the city, according to CNN Türk.

No organization has publicly taken responsibility for the attack.

However, Turkish officials said initial findings suggest the Kurdistan Workers’ Party terrorist organization (PKK) or a PKK-affiliated terrorist organization carried out the attack.

Hana Levi Julian

Hamas Confirms Beit El Terrorist Was Member of PA Security Force

Monday, February 1st, 2016

The Hamas terrorist organization confirmed in a statement late Sunday the terrorist who shot three Israeli soldiers at an IDF checkpoint near Beit El was a Palestinian Authority police officer.

According to the Bethlehem-based Ma’an news outlet, Amjad Jaser Sukkari, 34, was a Staff Sergeant from Shechem (Nablus). His body was returned by Israel to the Palestinian Authority security forces several hours after the incident and was buried the same day.

The attacker drove up from Ramallah to an IDF checkpoint next to the Jewish community of Beit El on Sunday afternoon, got out of his car with a handgun and shot three Israeli soldiers at point-blank range. Two were seriously wounded and a third less severely so. Other soldiers immediately returned fire and killed the terrorist on site.

Gaza’s ruling terror group “hailed the heroic resistance operation carried out … by PA security forces member Amjad Sukkari,” Hamas spokesperson Sami Abu Zuhri told the Alresala newspaper.

He deemed the shooting a “natural response to the Israeli field executions of Palestinians.

“This attack showcases the rejection of security coordination with the occupation, even among members of the PA security forces,” Abu Zuhri pointed out.

The Hamas official claimed that Sukkari worked as an escort for the chief of the Ramallah prosecution office.

Late Sunday night, the IDF surrounded Ramallah to implement a partial closure of the Palestinian Authority capital city in response to the attack. Only residents who can prove their status were being allowed in and out of Ramallah.

Hana Levi Julian

Beit Horon Grocery’s Security Camera Captures Attack [video]

Monday, January 25th, 2016

In this video, you can see a fast-thinking shopper inside the grocery store blocking the terrorists from getting in, with nothing more than a shopping cart.

Jewish Press News Briefs

Terror Attack Thwarted Outside Jerusalem Synagogue

Sunday, January 17th, 2016

Three Arab teen terrorist wannabes intent on a stabbing mission failed at a Jerusalem synagogue when they were stopped Sunday morning in the Kiryat Moshe neighborhood, not far from Har Nof.

The incident occurred at the packed Heichal Ya’akov synagogue on HaRav Reines Street, where men praying the morning service.

All three would-be attackers immediately threw away their homemade knives, sharpened into blades from basic items they took from their mothers’ kitchens, including scissors and a spoon handle.

Jerusalem Arab teen terrorists have learned how to sharpen items from their mothers' kitchens into knives for "jihad" murders of Jews.

Jerusalem Arab teen terrorists have learned how to sharpen items from their mothers’ kitchens into knives for “jihad” murders of Jews.

But their suspicious behavior had given them away and they were immediately grabbed and taken into custody. The three would-be stabbers were transferred to security personnel for interrogation by investigators.

Attacking Jews during morning prayers in the synagogue is not new for this area of Jerusalem.

On November 18, 2014, two Jerusalem Arab terrorists carried out a massacre at the Kehilat Bnei Torah synagogue in Har Nof – a Jerusalem neighborhood not far from Kiryat Moshe.

The terrorists attacked worshipers praying the morning service with axes, knives and a gun, killing four dual nationals and a Druze Israeli police officer responding to the scene.

Seven other worshipers were also badly injured, including one who remained in a coma and later died of his wounds nearly a year later.

The two terrorists were shot dead by police.

Hana Levi Julian

IDF Soldier Stabbed in Terror Attack at Gush Etzion Junction

Tuesday, January 5th, 2016

An Arab terrorist attempted to ram his vehicle into a group of IDF soldiers standing at the bus stop near the junction in Gush Etzion.

The terrorist got out of the vehicle and stabbed an IDF soldier before other troops neutralized him.

The soldier, a reservist, is in his 30s and was lightly wounded in the attack with a stab wound to the upper body.

The victim was treated at the scene by Magen David Adom paramedics prior to being taken to Shaare Zedek Medical Center in Jerusalem.

The terrorist was shot and killed.

An IDF investigation has been launched.

Hana Levi Julian

Printed from: http://www.jewishpress.com/news/breaking-news/1-idf-soldier-hurt-in-terror-attack-at-gush-etzion-junction/2016/01/05/

Scan this QR code to visit this page online: