November 24, 2014 / 2 Kislev, 5775
News & Views
IDC Herzliya Campus A Day on Campus

To mark IDC Herzliya’s 20th anniversary, we spent a day following Prof. Uriel Reichman, IDC’s founder and president, and Jonathan Davis, VP for External Relations, around its delightful campus.

Home » News & Views

Geller’s Talk Cancelled, L.I. Shul, Sun. School Kids Threatened

Geller was dismayed that her talk was shut down, but once her opponents were willing to put the safety of Jewish Sunday School children at risk, or simply to persuade the parents that there was a risk to their children, she understood her talk would be cancelled.
Pamela Geller's Speech at the Great Neck Synagogue was cancelled due to an intense campaign of pressure directed at the shul and member families.

Pamela Geller's Speech at a Toronto area Chabad synagogue was cancelled one month after the Great Neck Synagogue also banned her.

Davidson, rabbi emeritus of Temple Beth-El of Great Neck, New York, and Michael White, the senior rabbi of Temple Sinai of Roslyn, New York, co-authored an article in The Jewish Week in which they called Geller’s proposed talk “hate speech,” and enthused about their deep and abiding love for their Muslim neighbors.

“We state unequivocally that Geller’s inflammatory rhetoric does not represent us or the great majority of Jews in Great Neck and on Long Island. Hate speech has no place in synagogues. Synagogues should be places for worship, positive dialogue and reasoned political debate,” rabbis White and Davidson wrote.  They did not mention the planned march or the waves of orchestrated phone calls, or the threats to the Sunday School children’s physical and emotional well-being.

Wiesenfeld waxed philosophical. “these people think that by shutting down someone like Pamela Geller, they’ll be just a little bit safer.  They don’t get it.  There was no Pamela Geller at the El Al ticket counter in LA (July 4, 2002 terrorist shooting attack by a Muslim, one person was killed, five injured), there was no Pamela Geller at the Riverside Jewish Center when it was targeted by an Islamist terrorist group in 2009, and there was no Pamela Geller at the Seattle Jewish Federation Building (in July, 2006, a Muslim man entered the offices and shot six women, one fatally).”

“With each success in stifling any discussion about our mortal enemies, it becomes that much harder to have that discussion at the next event.  And once the discussion cannot even be held, it becomes that much easier to take the next step, and things will not be good for your children and your grandchildren,” intoned Wiesenfeld.

“What’s next?” Wiesenfeld asked rhetorically, then answered his own question, “they’ll be dancing in the streets.  Our enemies laugh and say to each other, ‘we know how to screw these Jews, these Jews are just chickens, while we believe in what we do and we will fight for what we believe.  Nah, actually those liberal Jews will do the fighting for us, they’ll help us to bury those other Jews.’”

Wiesenfeld has seen too many fights like these lately to be anything but bitter.

Geller was more subdued than usual.  She was dismayed that her talk was shut down, but she understood that once her opponents, the Muslims and the liberal Jews alike, were willing to put the safety of Jewish Sunday School children at risk, or simply to allow their Jewish parents to believe there was a risk to their children, her talk would be cancelled.

The willingness to be barbaric enough to use children as a pawn proves Geller’s points about who are the savages and their enablers, but it is a hollow victory.

“It’s a shanda,” Geller said, as the interview ended.

About the Author: Lori Lowenthal Marcus is the US correspondent for The Jewish Press. She is a recovered lawyer who previously practiced First Amendment law and taught in Philadelphia-area graduate and law schools.

51 Responses to “Geller’s Talk Cancelled, L.I. Shul, Sun. School Kids Threatened”

1. Nanette CohenRayman says:

well, I could stand that kind of tsunami…so the mosqueteers were going to march..so what? The Neo Nazis were going to march in Skokie and Rav Kahane said: We will be there! What is wrong with Jews that they are so afraid of their own shadows? If the muslims and muslim sympathizers marched, we should march back. If they attack, we attack back. Are Jews and Jewish rabbis so schmendrick, such pansies, that they don't know how to march or to fight? I am disgusted. They are acting like the rabbis in Nazi Germany who told Jews to not leave Germany and/or not to worry. Where are the new Rav Kahanes? If I were there, I would have marched back….I stood up to weasel feisal rauf of ground zero mosque and his wife, "daisy." What is wrong with Jews these days? GROW SOME COJONES or they bullies will keep on bullying…have we not learned this from the Inquisition, kings of Europe, the muslims in "falestine", the muslims all throughout history, THE HOLOCAUST…..wow….what PANSIES.

2. Please be more clear: Sunday school children were threatened, or people intended to protest where and when the speech was going to take place…which was the same time and in the same general area where children attend Sunday school?

3. Anya Khan says:

are the police looking into the threats?

4. a real shande as she says for the Jewish community in Great Neck. No backbone, no principles, no belief in God!

5. Geoff Clein says:

It is really a matter of free speach – apparantly if you are willing to rant on about leftist issues it is acceptable but if you cause the community to think by presenting to them something our of the ordinary, it is forbidden. That's why we both live here Fred, I realised it was a dead cause there when I went to Skokie to be booed by the liberal Jews just because I wanted to beat the sh*t out of the Nazis. And no, I wont call them "neo" – a nazi is a nazi no matter what generation he belongs to.

6. It is a dead end cause and I really have little sympathy for any of the Jews still living there.

7. Tim Upham says:

We do not need Pamela Geller to spew her hatred, paranoia, and factual inaccuracies. Having her talk cancelled is the best for all of us.

8. Tim Upham says:

9. monstrous and cowardly for Jews to align themselves with our virulent enemies. tragic. ms. geller is a light. I am more proud to be a Jew whenever I see her or hear of her extraordinary selflessness.

10. Lee Smith says:

does the truth hurt? You sound like a queer to me

11. Lee Smith says:

Where are the JDL and the Klan when you need them there has to be blood shed every once and awhile.

12. Gil Gilman says:

Nonsense! I can't say that I agree with everything or anything Ms. Geller has to say, but a threat to free speech by you, or by those who stop up their ears, shout and waggle their tongues is a service to no one. If people will be persuaded by Geller & Co. there is nothing you can do about it. I certainly can only scoff at those afraid of free speech. As far as factual inaccuracies…she and her wing of reality does not have a monopoly on that issue.

13. Gil Gilman says:

Those who silence free speech by tactics like this lend more not less credibility to the opinions silenced. And let's examine for a moment wherein lies the true fear. It lies with those who are afraid to hear viewpoints opposite to their own, and are afraid to let others hear them as well. Yes, the shul caved. There were other measures which could have been taken. Maybe it is a toss-up about who is the most fearful. The ranters and the demonstrators against free speech remind me nothing more than of the souls wailing in torment in Gehenna. They are so tormented by the opinions of others that they are wailing and gnashing their teeth in advance. Their stance must be on sand (and you know which sand I mean), not on bedrock.

14. 2 cents of a leftist Rabbi a Muslim sympatizer, no backbone to stand up to bullies and radical Muslims and shame on all memberts.

15. All Members of the Synagogue that thay did not put a fight, what happened to the freedom of speech? you all just caved to the letists and radical Muslims shame on you all no Jewish spirit.

16. This for Tim the brain washed liberal, her speech is not about hatred but only the truth about Muslims and sharia that is taking place in the US.today, You do not hear about this subject from the liberal MSM. to day.

17. If someone was giving a similar speech about the "truth" about Jews, all of you Judeo-Nazis would go through the roof. Geller is the would be Ilse Koch of American Zionists and that has so many followers echoes what Moshe Menuhin once described as "the decadence of Judaism in our time." Since Israel was established it has only gotten worse.

18. Charlie Hall says:

She should never have been invited. She is an enemy of Judaism. She has publicly stated that kosher slaughter is immoral, she has supported European politicians who want to ban it, she distorts Jewish teaching on Islam, and she is an adherent of the ideology of the notorious atheist anti-religious hedonist Ayn Rand. We would never have invited Trotsky to a synagogue to speak about Stalinism!

19. Charlie Hall says:

That all said, threats of violence are beyond the pale. Period.

20. Eli Neuberger says:

I thought Islam was all about Peace and Love?

21. Arie's Pragmatic Politics says:

22. Arie's Pragmatic Politics says:

23. Arie's Pragmatic Politics says:

The ADL..with its hostility and promotion of the hypocrisy that Geller engaging in FREE SPEECH against jihadist provided legitimacy to "Jews and islamists who then proceeded to physically threaten the CHILDREN of the Shul. Time to shut the ADL down, or at least force them to stop pretending they exist to help Jews!!

24. Arie's Pragmatic Politics says:

We are seeing a resurgence of the 1939 Jews of Berlin who believed if they kept quiet and shut other Jews up, they would spared – the rest of the Jews be damned!

25. Yeah, peace and love only if you embrace the pagan God Allah, only if you are NOT Jewish or a Christian, then you are, as they say, subhuman, a pig, son of a monkey, whatever, you deserve death. That's you love and peace of Islam!

26. Arie's Pragmatic Politics says:

Interesting facebook page jeff. You stop just short of DIRECT quotes from mein kampf but then use the protocols as a main source. I always find it interesting how nazis migrate to Jewish sites to spew forth. But we welcome you. Unlike our ancestors we have no fear of your ilk

27. Charlie Hall says:

"pagan God Allah"

Chas v'shalom. The opinion that Muslims worship the same God as us Jews is basically unanimous across rabbinic sources. We can even pray in a mosque.

28. Arie's Pragmatic Politics says:

And you judge her how? Because she speaks out against Jihad? She has repeatedly distanced jihad from islam. But like the Jews of 1939 berlin, you charlie attack any Jew that "dares offend" our enemies." But then, you also go on the warpath with personal attacks every time someone critiques the lord and savior, so no surprise here! "Jewish teachings on islam?" Was that the Jewish teachings after mohammed engaged in genocide on the arabioan peninsula killing tens of thousands of Jews? Or after the grand mufti and hitler declared each other best friends and allies during the Shoah (should I provide you a link on the Shoah charlie?). YOUR ilk are the enemies of the Jews. You would placate those that attack us, so as to appease and "not create more problems.

(And I noticed your comments about threats on the kids was an afterthought. Was that entered just to provide your hypocrisy some legitimacy.)

29. Charlie Hall says:

I notice that Arie can not counter any of my facts. He probably doesn't care about Torah, but for everyone who does, here is a nice essay by Prof. Marc Shapiro on rabbinic attitudes towards Islam:

30. Arie's Pragmatic Politics says:

Charlie Hall " same God as us Jews is basically unanimous across rabbinic sources."

The something got lost in the interpretation. I don't recall anywhere being ordered to commit genocide, yet one of mohammed's first "directives" from "allah" was to exterminate the Jews of the Arabian peninsula – starting at banu qurayza – murdering thousands of men women and children – a precursor of things to come. But then, charlie finds ways to excuse that. Perhaps a Jew drew an insulting picture of the profit in the sand dunes that instigated the genocide. After all, isn't that what your "lord and savior" said about the Benghazi Massacre

31. Arie's Pragmatic Politics says:

Charlie Hall I never said muslims pray to an idol so don't obfuscate. However, whoever they do pray for – or should I say how their jihadists interpret it (the ones you protect) – has ordered routine random acts of genocide

32. Arie's Pragmatic Politics says:

Charlie Hall I notice charlie likes to quickly comment that I "can't counter" his arguments. Unlike you democrats I have a REAL job so your "living g-d" can stick his hands in my wallet to take it all away. I'm sure you can learn to be patient until I have a free moment to respond to your jihad apologetics tour

33. Charlie Hall says:

" I never said muslims pray to an idol so don't obfuscate"

I was responding to the other commenter.

And you still have not countered my facts about Geller, or about the treatment of Islam by rabbinic Judaism.

34. I love it. Let's exchange email addresses. I am on Facebook, also. Here is my private cell number 414-378-4992. I may not answer, but if you leave a message expect me to call you back. As I have a nasal cold I may not get back by voice until this virus is killed or it kills me. Blessings.

35. I love it. Let's exchange email addresses. I am on Facebook, also. Here is my private cell number 414-378-4992. I may not answer, but if you leave a message expect me to call you back. As I have a nasal cold I may not get back by voice until this virus is killed or it kills me. Blessings.

36. Orde Wingate says:

You don't define Judaism for everyone. Some are secular, but support Israel and Jewish causes. Others are conservative or reform, and don't follow Kashrut.

37. Charlie Hall says:

"You don't define Judaism for everyone."

And you don't get to define it for me. You don't get to ban kosher slaughter. And don't promote an atheist hedonist who thought any and all religion was evil.

38. Those cowardly ghetto style Jews could have cancelled Hebrew school for one day, kept the kids home, and under all circumstances should have allowed this woman to speak.

39. Tim Upham says:

Sorry I am not going to sleep with a submachine gun next to me, because of the Muslim jihad. As for Berlin 1939, the Nuremberg Laws were enacted for a 6 year period, that stripped Jews of their citizenship and assets. I am still a citizen, and I still have possession of my assets. "So where's the beef" Or I should say Pamela Geller's hot air.

40. Sula Tamen says:

hate speech isn't – and shouldn't be – protected as free speech. for the most part,her posters were examples of hate speech. why would any shul want to pollute their kadosh-ness with hate?

41. Grace Acosta says:

Ms. Geller puts her life on the line EVERY DAY to protect both Jews and non Jews alike. She speaks nothing but well documented FACTS, which make you uncomfortable. Enjoy your dhimmi status, I'd rather not join you. I'll take an Ayn Rand lover any day over a wimpy Jew. I still have Ahavas Isroel, and I will love you like family, but that doesn't mean that I will trust you with my life. When jihad comes to your town and mine (and it's already coming) I'll be standing firmly behind Pamela Geller. Am Israel CHAI!

42. Beauty and hate is in the eyes of the beholder. I do not see anything she says as hate. I think she is just expressing her feelings in a most honest way and you can agree or disagree with her conclusions. But she has every right to speak. As for kadosh-ness of that shul or any other shul, are you serious? Shul's have no kadoshness and never did. They are community centers that provide social and religious opportunities.

43. Sula Tamen says:

fine. but being a place where people gather in community, for community… that still means it should not be a venue of eliciting or justifying hatred of others, which is what she does, no matter how you prettify it. but you are right – kado-shness probably doesn't apply to shuls. it was the wrong term. but she is still a pollutant.

44. Charlie Hall says:

"She speaks nothing but well documented FACTS"

You think that she spoke fact when she said that kosher slaughter is immoral?

"I still have Ahavas Isroel"

Not if you promote atheist hedonism the way Ayn Rand did. Rand was a sworn enemy of any and all religions, including the one she was born into.

"Am Israel CHAI!"

Rand and Geller would cause the death of Am Yisrael as we know it.

45. As a gathering place for community, it is exactly the venue for all kinds of ideas, opinions and points of view. She is not a pollutant any more than a Hamas official is a pollutant. She is a human being whose views differ from yours and your attitude shows a total lack of open-ness to anything that you do not agree with. This attitude is so common among todays so called liberals who feel morally superior to others yet at the bottom line, they have the least amount of tolerance than any conservative I know. It is outright hypocritical.

46. When Truth is Hate speech you know the Nuts are running the loonie bin.

47. Arie's Pragmatic Politics says:

Tim Upham To Tim, and the other jihad apologists, for anyone to attack Jews – it is freedom of speech. For a Jew to "dare" to speak out against it, it is all of a sudden "racism and islamophobia." And thatnks Tim, people like you fully bring back the vision of the kapos of Nazi Germany who attacked other Jews – to protect their own skins and the belief it couldn't happen to you. And you are a citizen where – in the US? Last I looked your beloved obama was looking to confiscate all assets and weapons also – like the beloved hitler his financier soros prayed about

48. Grace Acosta says:

My husband is a shochet, and he would agree that killing is never a fun experience for an animal. His job is to make sure that it is as quick and painless as humanly possible – and got fired from his job because he complained of animals being ill treated. (Don't eat anything from AgriStar!)

I never promoted Ayn Rand or her ideas, I said that given the option between bowing to Islamists and following a Rand fan, the Rand fan would win every time. BTW, I do not worship Ayn Rand. Some of her ideas had merit, most of them did not.

I feel very sorry for Rand, she was a damaged woman. If you knew anything about her childhood, you'd know how deeply scarred she was by her past. I don't see any reason to spout poison about the woman.

49. Tim Upham says:

Get over it, World War II is over. Your prayers that the same situation will come back again, will not happen. You are just going to have to be disappointed, like Pamela Geller is.

50. WAS YOUR DAD A SHOE SALESMAN ?

Banner at Tehran military parade, Sept. 23, 2013. Although the English statement is relatively mild, in Persian and Arabic it says “Death to America.”
Iran Says Nuclear Deal ‘Impossible’ by Nov. 24 Deadline
Latest News Stories

Iran says it won’t make a deal with world powers over its nuclear development program by the Nov. 24 deadline.

Israeli police shoot tear gas to disperse Arab rioters throwing rocks in Isawiya, October 2014. (archive)

Security leaders re-activate a special unit in Israel as Arab rioters injure four police officers in Jerusalem.

Rabbi David Lau visits Temple Mount activist and assassination target Rabbi Yehuda Glick at Shaarei Tzedek Hospital.

The doctors completed their surgery and accomplished what they set out to repair.

France Jew in a French synagogue talks about rising anti-Semitism.

Israel’s cabinet decides to clear obstacles for employment of immigrating professionals.

Sheikh Samir Aasi says “I Was Attacked Because Of What I Stand For. These Extremists Don’t Want Relations Between Religions”

Former Washington DC Mayor Marion Barry died early Sunday at age 78.

A Tennessee watchdog group says textbooks in the state’s schools are teaching children to hate Israel and Jews.

In New Zealand a Jewish toddler wearing a yarmulka is attacked; the adults consider teaching their young to hide their identity.

If there were such a thing as “diplomatic police,” Abbas would have been arrested long ago for crossing red lines.

Both the town and the tower were destroyed in a violent fashion. A layer of ash shows they were burnt.

Son of Isaac Bashevis Singer, Israeli author Israel Zalman, dead at 85.

They were harmless men simply looking for “song birds.” Uh-huh.

US law states anyone who “Incited terrorist activity with intent to cause serious bodily harm or death” should be barred from entry.

The police knew the PA Arabs were sleeping in the cemetery, they just couldn’t figure out where…

The US is so used to believing lies that it can hardly distinguish them from the truth.