Don’t miss this opportunity to explore Israel off the beaten track, feel the conflict first hand, understand the security issues and politic realities, and have an unforgettable trip!
Filmmaker Sam Bacile has provoked strong protests in recent days, protests which have already claimed the life of an American consulate employee in Benghazi, Libya. In a telephone interview with The Associated Press, Bacile said that he went into hiding for fear that Islamic radicals would try to hurt him because his video, titled “Innocence of Islam,” showing the Prophet Mohammed as a skirt chaser who favored the sexual exploitation of children.
“Islam is a cancer. Period,” said Bacile in the call, made, he claimed, from his hiding place. He said he only wanted to send a message. The provocative filmmaker is a 56-year-old real estate man, describing himself as an Israeli Jew – though that claim of Israeli citizenship is unconfirmed and doubted by some. He explained that the film would help Israel by revealing the expansionism of Islam in the world and the danger of it.
Following news of the new film, gunmen attacked the consulate compound in Benghazi on Tuesday evening, clashing with and overwhelming Libyan security forces with heavy fire. Reuters reporters on the scene saw looters raiding the compound, walking off with desks, chairs and washing machines. A security official said a fire was burning inside the consulate and that staff had been evacuated. Three injured members of the Libyan security forces taken away in an ambulance.
The gunmen emerged from a crowd that was protesting a film they said was blasphemous.
The raid in Libya followed a protest in Egypt where demonstrators scaled the walls of the U.S. embassy, tore down the American flag and burned it.
The U.S. embassy in Cairo issued a hasty response, probably in an attempt to prevent what later took place in Benghazi:
“The Embassy of the United States in Cairo condemns the continuing efforts by misguided individuals to hurt the religious feelings of Muslims – as we condemn efforts to offend believers of all religions… We firmly reject the actions by those who abuse the universal right of free speech to hurt the religious beliefs of others.”
But an administration official told Politico, “The statement by Embassy Cairo was not cleared by Washington and does not reflect the views of the United States government.”
Secretary of State Hillary Clinton subsequently issued a statement of her own, saying:
“Some have sought to justify this vicious behavior as a response to inflammatory material posted on the Internet. The United States deplores any intentional effort to denigrate the religious beliefs of others. Our commitment to religious tolerance goes back to the very beginning of our nation. But let me be clear: There is never any justification for violent acts of this kind.”
“Innocence of Islam” cost $5 million dollars and was funded by more than 100 Jewish donors. It was written and directed by Bacile, filmed in 2011, and is two hours long. The production employed 59 actors.
The only full screening to date has been in front of a half-empty theater in Hollywood. The parts of it that were uploaded to YouTube have already caused a wave of protests across the Muslim world.
Referring to the killing of a U.S. consulate worker in Benghazi, Libya, Bacile said: “I feel that the security system in these embassies is not good. America needs to do something to change it.”
1:56 Min trailer
About the Author: Yori Yanover has been a working journalist since age 17, before he enlisted and worked for Ba'Machane Nachal. Since then he has worked for Israel Shelanu, the US supplement of Yedioth, JCN18.com, USAJewish.com, Lubavitch News Service, Arutz 7 (as DJ on the high seas), and the Grand Street News. He has published Dancing and Crying, a colorful and intimate portrait of the last two years in the life of the late Lubavitch Rebbe, (in Hebrew), and two fun books in English: The Cabalist's Daughter: A Novel of Practical Messianic Redemption, and How Would God REALLY Vote.
If you don't see your comment after publishing it, refresh the page.
Comments are closed.
We are experiencing technical difficulties, and won’t be able to fix the site before Shabbat in Israel…
The IDF has confirmed 2nd Lt. Hadar Goldin, 23 of Kfar Saba is the soldier suspected kidnapped by Hamas on Friday.
Netanyahu called Kerry onto the carpet and Kerry and Ban Ki-Moon gave their assurances.
Hamas has learned the art of kidnapping from Hezbollah. Israel neeeds to figure out quickly how to deal with that.
3:31pm IDF Spox notifications: Hamas terrorists killed two IDF soldiers during the suspected kidnapping of 2nd Lt. Goldin this morning. We suspect that a group of Hamas terrorists, including a suicide attacker, kidnapped 2nd. Lt. Goldin at 9:30AM & dragged him into a tunnel. If our suspicions about today’s events are accurate, Hamas took advantage […]
This time Hamas may have succeeded in kidnapping a soldier.
Report: Hamas took advantage of the cease fire to attack IDF soldiers…
The IDF has released names of the soldier killed on Thursday night.
12:30pm Be’er Sheva Region, Ofakim… x2 10:50am Sirens at Eshkol. 10:03am – – Cease fire broken by Hamas – – Hamas fires rocket at Eshkol region. All winners, please collect your bets. No injuries were reported in the rocket strike. 9:30am Hamas hasn’t fired any rockets at Israel yet since the 8:00am cease fire went […]
If Israel finds a terror tunnel during the cease fire, do the terms of the cease fire allow it to be blown up?
Curious as to how long Israel has been rocket free? This site will tell you…
Hamas wants the Arabs in Judea and Samaria to join in…
As the 8:00am deadline for the cease fire approaches, Hamas has shot a lot rockets into Israel to get their last licks: 7:32am 08-01-2014 Bnei Ayish / Gan Yavne 7:32am 08-01-2014 Bnei Ayish / Gan Yavne 7:32am 08-01-2014 Bnei Ayish / Gan Yavne, Givati 7:31am 08-01-2014 Ashdod, Bnei Ayish / Gan Yavne, Givati 7:31am 08-01-2014 […]
Printed from: http://www.jewishpress.com/news/breaking-news/israeli-filmmaker-whose-innocence-of-islam-started-riots-in-benghazi-cairo-went-underground/2012/09/12/
Scan this QR code to visit this page online: