September 2, 2014 / 7 Elul, 5774
News & Views
Jerusalem Mayor Nir Barkat (L) visits the JewishPress.com booth at The Event. And the Winners of the JewishPress.com Raffle Are…

Congratulations to all the winners of the JewishPress.com raffle at The Event

Roger Waters, BDS Advocate Against Israel, at 92nd St Y in April

Roger Waters, one of the biggest promoters of BDS - the economic warfare movement against Israel - is slated to appear at the 92nd St. Y in April.
Roger Waters of Pink Floyd fame promotes hatred and boycotts of Israel.

Roger Waters of Pink Floyd fame promotes hatred and boycotts of Israel.

According to the Facebook Page of the 92nd Street Y, on March 22, 1874, the Young Men’s Hebrew Association was formed.  But a quick look at its current website shows that Roger Waters, former front man for the rock group Pink Floyd, and currently one of the  biggest haters of Israel outside of the Middle East, will be appearing at the 92nd Street Y late next month.

Waters is one of the best known of the small group of celebrity advocates for the economic warfare movement against Israel known as the BDS movement.  BDS stands for the boycott of, divestment from, and sanctions against the Jewish State of Israel.

Not only does Waters refuse to perform in Israel, but he also delights in placing enormous pressure on colleagues in the arts world to renege after agreeing to perform in or for Israel.

Just last year the musical superstar Stevie Wonder had agreed to appear at a fundraiser for the Friends of the Israel Defense Forces gala in Los Angeles, in December.  Suddenly, shortly before the event, Wonder cancelled his participation, with the awkward explanation being that he is a “messenger of peace for the United Nations.”

At the time, the national director and CEO of the FIDF, Maj. Gen. (Res.) Yitzhak (Jerry) Gershon, wrote in a press release that the “FIDF is a non-political organization that provides much-needed humanitarian support regardless of religion, political affiliation, or military activity.”

Many concluded that some officials at the U.N. had dissuaded Wonder from performing at the FIDF fundraiser, although restrictions are not imposed on U.N. ‘messengers of peace.’

However, Roger Waters recently bragged that he played a critical role in convincing Wonder not to perform at the L.A. FIDF benefit. Despite the Wonder no-show, that FIDF benefit raised more than $14 million.

There are also reports that the aging rock musician intends to convince others to join with him in a musical venture to promote his anti-Israel efforts.

Waters recently issued a statement, filled with inaccuracies, comparing Israel to Apartheid South Africa, and explaining why he believed Israel should suffer the same fate.  He said, according to a JTA report,

I think that the kind of boycott that was implemented against the apartheid regime in South Africa back in the day is probably the most effective way to go because the situation is that the Israeli government runs an apartheid regime in Israel, the occupied territories and everywhere else it decides. Let us not forget that they laid waste most of Lebanon around the time I started getting involved in this issue. They destroyed airports, hospitals, any public buildings they could.

The event featuring Waters at the 92nd Street Y is called, “A conversation with Roger Waters.”

About the Author: Lori Lowenthal Marcus is the US correspondent for The Jewish Press. She is a recovered lawyer who previously practiced First Amendment law and taught in Philadelphia-area graduate and law schools.

118 Responses to “Roger Waters, BDS Advocate Against Israel, at 92nd St Y in April”

1. Bruce Levine says:

Matt, if you would like to hide behind Roger Waters' Dad, then it's your nickel. Roger Waters stated in an interview with Electronic Intifada (no lover of Israel as you know), that the American media is being instructed not to report negative things about Israel. Here's the article below. I think it's sad that people like you have to rush out to defend a Roger Waters with a reference to the Nazis. That's just typical and classic and that some supporters of Israel may have used anti-semitism too much should never–nay never again–be used to sugarcoat the racism of a has-been performer–just because his Dad, like many brave Britons, was killed by the Nazis. On the other hand, I disagree with the apparent decision of the 92nd Sreet Y to cancel Mr. Waters' visit. I'd like to see the Jew hater in person, wouldn't you?http://electronicintifada.net/content/boycotting-israel-way-go-says-pink-floyd-legend-roger-waters/12287

2. Ken Kelso says:

What do you think Israel should have done, seeing there civilians are being blown to bits by Palestinian suicide bombers, who are deliberately targeting elderly Holocaust survivors at Passover Seders, teenagers in pizza parlours, buses, disco's, cafe's and restaurants.

3. And what happened first, the crap of which you speak, or the crap the Israelis did from 1945-1970?

4. Nanette CohenRayman says:

Matt: how do you know what I would say to Waters in person? and what his Dad did has NOTHING to do with what this idiot is doing…so, according to your logic, his Dad and he are the same person? pffft…..go read up on it, you tool.

5. Nanette CohenRayman says:

How do you know what I know about The Wall….get it through your amoeba brain. He ditzes Israel and wants the world to boycott Israel. That proves that HE and YOU don't know history or current events. NOW shut your piehole….kay?

6. Lori – Hating things that Israel does is not the same as hating Israel, or that a point too subtle for you to grasp?

7. Paula Thompson says:

More people should stand against oppression at each level of society. Wanting to stop modern day colonial projects and speak truth is not dismissing any other events in the past. I argue that it is in fact condemning all such acts.

8. Bob Harris says:

Why is a Jewish organization inviting Roger "Little Hitler" Waters? I think we need to BDS Waters and his bigotry. Please contact the Y and urge them to cancel this shameful bastard's appearance.

9. Bob Harris says:

10. Bob Harris says:

Here is contact information for the Y's executive office:

Please call Heather Jakub at 212-415-5470 or email her at hjakub@92y.org.

11. Bob Harris says:

Who gives a crap, Matt? You are a fan boy of this Jew hater. Noted.

12. Jeff Gunn says:

thank you to Lori lowenthal marcus for bringing this to my attention. I see the event at the 92Y has now been postponed.

13. Yulia Kushner says:

Roger Waters is an attention seeking bigot, willing to go for about anything to clinch to "fame", since his "music" talent is no longer hot. Personally, I would deny this swine anything that comes from Israel, including medication invented there, technology, Bible, etc. let him rot and die in a cave, where he and his "music" belongs in the first place. I would certainly not give his a stage at a Jewish event.

14. Yulia Kushner says:

Roger Waters is an attention seeking bigot, willing to go for about anything to clinch to "fame", since his "music" talent is no longer hot. Personally, I would deny this swine anything that comes from Israel, including medication invented there, technology, Bible, etc. let him rot and die in a cave, where he and his "music" belongs in the first place. I would certainly not give him a stage at a Jewish event.

15. All who hate Israel will see 'the writing on the wall' someday, hopefully sooner than later

16. Pepe Israel says:

S. John 8:32; Isaiah 29:22(jacob is not and will never be a nation of pale face people); Ezekiel 36:5(pale face caucasian race coming in to israel claimin to be jews) Revelation 2:9; Titus 1:14; Jeremiah 14:2(jew comes from the word judah. The real jews are black); Hebrews 7:14; Daniel 10:5, 6(color of brass is brown); Revelation 1:1, 14, 15(woolly hair is nappy hair. Caucasians dont have nappy hair); Job 30:30(job a hebrew man describes is skin color) Jeremiah 8:21( jeremiah a hebrew israelite jew describes his skin color) Exodus 4:6, 7( The Most High Yah shows us what skin color moses is who is an hebrew israelite) Lamentations 4:8( describes the jews skin color. We lost our identity, we dont know that we are the children of israel, but as you can see that we're WAKING UP to the truth!) Lamentations 5:10( when brown ppl dont eat they turn darker, when pale caucasians dont eat they turn even more pale) I John 4:1(Dont believe everything u see around the world, but prove them according to the bible).

17. Matt Leonard says:

Philip Weinstein how are my posts pathetic for its gobbledy gook? You know nothing about Roger Waters.

18. Matt Leonard says:

where did you learn to type? bite the hand that feeds me? what the hell are you talking about? spare me. I could care less who you support or not. Bottom line, it would seem you're making assumptions and drawing conclusions about a person you know nothing about solely based on this completely crooked, one sided article. Shame on you

19. Matt Leonard says:

How is Roger a bigot? Can you provide any evidence apart from him not wanting to play in Israel (which certainly does NOT define bigotry) I see more hate coming from the Jewish side of the fence in this debate. Not once have any of you provided solid evidence that Roger Waters is what you accuse him of.

20. Matt Leonard says:

The event was rescheduled because Roger had a prior commitment. There is nothing to bring to your attention. Lori is the one fanning the flame of hatred for ultimately no reason. Lori is grossly misinformed about the person she accuses.

21. Matt Leonard says:

or better yet… Y don't you spend your energy on more important issues like how Israel and Palestine can co-existing instead of blowing each other up for the betterment of humanity!

22. Matt Leonard says:

(rolling my eyes) i won't even dignify this with a response

23. Matt Leonard says:

that really has nothing to do with anything but why don't you muster up the balls and ask him yourself.

24. Roger is such a wonderful, kind, intellect. He's stating his opinion, which he has a right to do. Some are showing their true colors, throwing hatred around just because they don't agree…

25. He doesn't hate any country. He just doesn't agree with injustices, as any good person should. Lori, you seem to be a hater, with one sided story…crap journalism.

26. Yulia Kushner says:

Based on the quantity and quality of your posts I believe you are a troll, so it is not a debate in the first place.

27. Perlitha Azucena Torres Martinez says:

Roger Waters is much more better than this…
    All of you people shouldn't talk about someone you don't know, and the press is such a scum

28. Duff Moses says:

Like the red-baiters of my childhood who cynically conflated social justice with Bolshevism, those who insist the policies of a sovereign government must represent the ancient glorious faith of Judaism seek to paint any criticism of state behavior as anti semitic. And it is working beautifully.

29. Jeff Gunn says:

where is their perpetual refugee status? who is returning their 100 billion dollars in lost land and property? @matt leonard – get lost troll!

30. Matt Leonard says:

The quality? haha, wow, you are blind. I've been respectful with my debate, and yes, its a debate. Whats so wrong with that? You're the one of the others here resorting to name calling and pointing fingers without knowing the facts about Roger. I have a right to post here as much as you or anybody else.

So anybody against Israeli policies is a bigot? How so?
    You still haven't explained how Roger is a bigot… because you can't. Believe what you want, I don't care. At least be able to back up your statements with facts and ditch the disrespectful name calling and bigotry yourself.

When an article is spewing lies and untruths, I need to step up and say something. I have that right and its the right thing to do.

31. Yulia Kushner says:

Kindly refer to my original reply to you.

32. Ryan Clarkson says:

not saying he is right or wrong. but he never has anything bad to say about jews, just israel.

33. Matt Leonard says:

nice… you have no point so you resort to insults. grow up. Oh and as long as you keep addressing me, i'll be around.

34. Matt Leonard says:

yeah, and? you really have nothing to say to support your side of things apparently. you cannot answer any of my questions. you have no point. you just follow the heard. HA!

35. Yulia Kushner says:

Kindly refer to my original reply to you.

36. Matt Leonard says:

yeah, and? hahaha

37. Jeff Gunn says:

find an incredible irony in the fact that once palestine becomes a recognized state it will be an apartheid nation so roger is supporting a de facto apartheid future regime. it's just the stench of hypocrisy spewing from roger's mouth …

38. Kenny Pnkfloyd Bates says:

ha ha I'm going!

39. Kenny Pnkfloyd Bates says:

maybe one day these leaders from both these nations, would just come together hug each other and work as one! its pathetic that I have to hear about these 2 countries on the news everyday. just like children. " oh that's my tree house, no its not its mine and I'm building a fort around it so you cant come it" this sand is my sand, this land is my land" anybody ever hear about the concept of SHARING and preserving life and the life of innocent people! just pathetic! get a job, love your family friends, and yes NEIHBORS! A GREAT MAN ONCE SAID"LOVE THY NEIGHBOR AS THYSELF! well what the hell is going on down there! people are just scared to know one another! I don't get it! stop building walls, stop bombing, share the land, get to know one another, and stop being morans!

40. Kenny Pnkfloyd Bates says:

gil you are soo wrong. "the wall " concerts speak for themselves. believe me his music that speaks to everyone will keep roger in the spotlight forever! roger just hates war, fighting, and innocent people getting killed. i hope that one day there will be a great change , down in this region , where both countries can get along and try to come to a compromise, love each other, and work together. hell if the usa can do it(many many people from different cultures here) the isreal can do it.

41. Kenny Pnkfloyd Bates says:

God I hate politics. I am more a person who strives for people to get together, who loves seeing people love each other, I am a fan of working things out, etc etc. I hope one day that this fighting would stiop, no more bombing on either side, and everyone to get along with each other. I wish people could just tear down their own walls and get to know one another and just talk things out and to trust each other. believe me, I would love to go to isreal , palestine, etc but with all of this stupid fighting, I am not loosing my life, because of stupid, old style, leaders that cant trust one another. I pray for peace over there always. SCREW POLITICS AND EMBRACE LOVE! KEEP HATE ON THE WAISTSIDE!

42. Matt Leonard says:

Oh, so you're a soothsayer now? Give me a break!

43. It's Israeli Officials Who Are Terrorists:

The Gaza Massacre

44. Imagine the joy of killing at will. Imagine the pleasure of wiping out a family with a single shell. Imagine the ecstacy of toddlers crying to their dead mothers. Imagine the sorrow of being an eternal victim. Imagine the pride of being a Jew.
    – Matt Giwer, 2009

45. I support Israel as a nation, but as an Evil Empire, I think they should be on their own.

46. So, all over the globe, governments and groups are doing bad things to minorities. And historically, governments have stolen land (that is, North America). And your argument is, unless we concurrently condemn all outrages (current and historical), we cannot legitimately criticize Israel?

OK. I condemn all current and past atrocities. Can I now say a few things about Israel?

47. There's always a shill who will post the same old "poor Israel" rhetoric. It is designed to shame those who ask legitimate questions by burdening them with the guilt of supposed racism.

48. Pls join me in liking this page pls pls pls –> CJPME

"Canadians for Justice and Peace in the Middle East"

The belief all positions should respect international law
    The belief all parties in a conflict must be held to the same standard
    The belief violence is not a solution

49. The 'apartheid wall'

There are few places in the world where governments construct a web of nationality and residency laws designed for use by one section of the population against another.

Apartheid South Africa was one. So is Israel.

Comparisons between white rule in South Africa and Israel's system of control over the Arab peoples it governs are increasingly heard.

Opponents of the vast steel and concrete barrier under construction through the West Bank and Jerusalem dubbed it the "apartheid wall" because it forces communities apart and grabs land.

50. Regina Van Cott says:

well why be above it when you can just last moment cancel events and say it was Roger and be equally, as biased…sheesh.

51. A note from Roger.

"There has been some chatter about the cancellation of my interview at 92Y. By way of clarification, here is what I know.

I was invited by 92Y to take part in an interview at the Theresa L. Kaufmann Concert Hall on the 30th April this year. I checked out a couple of previous talks on YouTube, and as they appeared to be serious and measured discourse, I accepted the invitation to take part.

Things were complicated when the Opera House in São Paulo, Brazil requested my presence for four full productions of Ça Ira, my opera on the French Revolution, around conflicting dates. In the end, the date for the dress rehearsal of Ça Ira fell on the 30 th April, and so, reluctantly and very apologetically, I asked the team at 92Y if my appearance could be re-scheduled. Assistant Director Jennifer Hausler, who had been helping all along, couldn’t have been more understanding, gave me some alternative dates in June and I accepted June the 19th. Everyone was happy. Well, perhaps not quite everyone.

On April 3rd, my publicist in NY received a phone call from Susan Engel, the Director of Lectures at the 92Y, cancelling my re-scheduled engagement without explanation. She did leave a telephone number which we called, but it was only an answering machine with the message that 92Y was closed for Passover. We left messages asking to talk to Susan Engel but have so far received no reply.

I have since been made aware of rumblings on the net suggesting that resistance in the local Jewish community to my coming engagement may have had something to do with its cancellation. If that be the case it saddens me. In these troubled times, opportunities for serious, measured discourse are too precious to be discarded on the altar of sectarian prejudice. Not to talk is not an option.

Also our conversation at the 92Y would not necessarily have needed to be restricted to our hopes for just and peaceful outcomes for both the Israeli and Palestinian peoples. I have other interests, we could have talked about how Pink Floyd got its name, or whether David and I will ever get back together (sorry, irony) or suicide rates among returning veterans or Las Madres de Malvinas, or the missing in Mexico, or the concept of Us and Them.

To bundle up in our dread beliefs serves us not at all.

Not to talk is not an option.

Roger Waters 7th April 2013".

52. god's chosen terrorists.

53. god's chosen terrorists.

54. god's chosen terrorists.

55. god's chosen terrorists.

A general view of the Bat Ain community at Gush Etzion.
US Pushes PA Agenda and Tells Israel to Cancel New Gush Etzion Town
Latest News Stories
Lady Gaga defies BDS  again with a show in Tel Aviv  on Sept. 13, 2014.

Maybe Abbas should accuse Lady Ga-Ga of incitement for saying “Shalom.”

British Jew Neil Masterson allegedly punched anti-Semitic MP George Galloway in the face.

The prosecutor says Masterson told police, “I didn’t want him to think I’m scared.”

Young Israeli boy dip apple in honey in tradition with the Rosh HaShanah New Year holiday

Honey cake, gourmet honey, flavored honey, and honey as a recipe in chicken, and even fish, are all expected to contribute to soaring sales of honey this Rosh Hashanah and holiday season. Ironically, the US Department of Agriculture is conducting hearings to define honey or just how much honey is required to qualify for “pure […]

A general view of the Bat Ain community at Gush Etzion.

Abbas does not have to push agenda because he has the Obama administration is his spokesman.

The Islamic State (ISIS) has just released a video showing the beheading of another American journalist, Steven Sotloff, according to a monitoring group.

Cantor can thank his defeat to a Tea Party candidate for leading him to more lucrative and stable career.

Hamas won the war in political terms, but that won’t stop Kerry.

A farmer in the (legal) Tikkun Olan Cannabis farm near Tzfat. This is one of their greenhouses. The company is licensed by Israel’s Ministry of Health to grow, process and distribute the medicinal plant.

Israeli intelligence sparked a massive manhunt that foiled an Arab terror attack, caught two suspects and kept Israeli civilians safe.

The ‘Talansky affair’ corruption trial of former Israeli Prime Minister Ehud Olmert re-opened today in Jerusalem.

Iran has successfully tested a new defensive radar and missile system, its air force chief announced Monday.

Diplomatic relations with Israel are likely to remain in deep freeze for the next few years, Turkish PM Davutoglu signals.

Events on the other side of Israel’s northern border are heating up. The IDF is on high alert in the Golan Heights.

Germany and other western countries have begun providing weapons to Kurds in fight against the IS.

Sept. 1 is a spectacularly important day in Israel.