web analytics
January 23, 2017 / 25 Tevet, 5777

Posts Tagged ‘shooting’

Deal Busted with Border Guard Caught Shooting Rioter on CNN [video]

Friday, January 13th, 2017

A plea deal was scrapped Thursday between the state prosecution and a Border Guard policeman who allegedly shot and killed an Arab rioter on “Nakba (catastrophe) Day,” also known as Israeli declaration of independence day, May 15, 2014, at the Bitunia (Beitunia) check post near Ramallah in Samaria, Israeli media reported.

The deal, which had the accused admit to negligent homicide instead of the original charge of manslaughter, was rejected at the last minute by the defense.

One of the reasons the case received international attention at the time was the fact that the policeman, Ben Derry, was caught both on a local CCTV camera and by a CNN reporter, who presented the event as a shoot-to-kill incident. As the trial later revealed, a live round had been present in the soldier’s weapon, which was supposed to be loaded only with rubber bullets, for crowd control.

According to Attorney Zion Amir, who spoke to Ha’aretz, the prosecution, after having reached a plea agreement with his client, tried to sneak a fast one on him. “Today I receive the draft indictment with the plea arrangement,” Amir said, “and there – in the deal, not the indictment, there’s an item saying we agree that the [Israeli] force was never in any danger. That’s why I got angry.”

Speaking on the phone to Ha’aretz, the attorney stated he had told the prosecutors that the meaning of such an item, that a riot in which a mob of young Arabs are hurdling stones at an Israeli security force does not place the force in danger, would “expose Israel to attacks by the European Union, the UN, and the UN Security Council.”

Amir added that in the post-Sgt. Azaria era, he expected the prosecution to avoid dealing with a security event on the merit of its technical aspects only, but take into account the context.

Amir was also astonished to find out that his confidential discussion with the prosecutors was leaked to the media while he was still in the lobby on his way out.

David Israel

IDF Cadet Describes Shooting at the Terrorist

Sunday, January 8th, 2017

Video of the Day

IDF Prosecutors Working On Sentencing Deal for Sgt. Elor Azaria

Saturday, January 7th, 2017

IDF military prosecutors are reportedly planning a sentencing deal to be offered to the family of Sgt. Elor Azaria in exchange for abandoning an appeal of his conviction on a charge of manslaughter.

The case has dragged on for months in the public eye, creating a media circus that has torn Israeli society apart.

Azaria was convicted by a military tribunal Wednesday in a trial that sent numerous citizens in the country into a frenzy of outrage against the panel of judges and IDF top brass, prompting officials to upgrade security around the judges.

The combat medic shot and killed an Arab terrorist who was already injured and lying on the ground after he stabbed an Israeli soldier in Hebron. Abdel Fattah el-Sharif and a second terrorist had carried out an attack against a group of Israeli soldiers who were deployed in the Judean city in March 2016. The second attacker was shot and killed immediately. But el-Sharif was lying injured on the ground when Azaria walked over to him, after a soldier in his unit was taken with stab wounds to a hospital. Azaria shot el-Sharif in the head at point-blank range.

He faces sentencing in February on a conviction that currently could bring him up to 20 years in prison, and has deeply divided Israeli society.

Israeli lawmakers from both sides of the political spectrum have called for a pardon, and Azaria’s attorneys have said they will appeal the conviction.

If they instead opt to accept a deal, Azaria will serve a far shorter prison term, but according to a report on Israel’s Channel 2 television news, he will definitely do some jail time.

It’s not clear whether or not he would be eligible to apply for a pardon under such circumstances.

Hana Levi Julian

Haifa Terror Suspect Surrenders to Police

Thursday, January 5th, 2017

A man suspected of carrying out a terrorist attack this week in Haifa surrendered himself to police on Thursday night.

The dramatic development took place near the Bridge of the Heroes in the Hadar neighborhood of the city.

Due to a gag order on the investigation, few other details are available at this time.

Earlier in the day, friends and family accompanied murder victim Guy Kafri, 48, as his body was laid to rest at a nearby cemetery in Moshav Ofer.

Kafri was one of two people who were shot in Haifa on Tuesday in an attack that went largely unreported for two days due to a gag order that was issued in order to allow investigators time to determine whether or not the shooting was a terrorist attack.

The second victim, a rabbi who is a member of the Haifa conversion court, is reported to be in serious but stable condition.

This is a developing story.

Hana Levi Julian

Hunting Down a Terrorist in Haifa, City of Unity

Thursday, January 5th, 2017

It’s not easy to hunt down a terrorist in a place that’s known for its inclusive nature, its mixed neighborhoods and for the diverse population that has transformed the port city into a unique cultural capital.

But on Wednesday morning,social media chat boards were busy with members posting pleas to a nameless murderer in their midst to “turn yourself in, you’re turning our lives into hell on earth.” By Thursday, the posts were exchanging funeral information.

Guy Kafri, 48, was one of two people shot on Tuesday in a murder that went largely unreported for two days due to a gag order by police. They were reportedly trying to figure out whether the crime was one of passion, nationalism or due to an underworld dispute.

It has now become clear that the victims were attacked by a terrorist.

The second man who was shot, a rabbi on the Haifa conversion court, was seriously wounded in the attack, but has survived.

Kafri was laid to rest Thursday in Moshav Ofer. “No one had a bad word to say about him,” his brother-in-law, Shachar Dror, told the Hebrew-language Ynet site. A driver who transported disabled children, this was a victim who seems to have had no enemies.

“All the evidence points to the fact that Guy was murdered because he was Jewish,” Dror said.

Haifa residents have called on security personnel to release the name and photo of the suspect for whom they are searching – and whose identifying information is still protected by a gag order.

Hana Levi Julian

Defense Minister Who Convicted Azaria on Day of Shooting Now Blames ‘Politicians’

Thursday, January 5th, 2017

On March 24, 2016, the day Sgt. Elior Azaria shot a terrorist who had already been neutralized in Hebron – an event that was recorded by an Arab agent of anti-Israeli NGO B’Tselem, then Defense Minister Moshe Ya’alon stated, giving a new meaning to the term Judge, Jury and Executioner: “The event in which an IDF soldier is documented arriving at the attack site in Hebron, shoots the terrorist minutes after he had been neutralized and has been lying on the ground, is extremely serious and absolutely contrary to the IDF values and war ethics. We must not permit, even when our blood is boiling, such befuddlement and loss of control. This episode will be treated with the utmost severity.”

Now, after a military court in Tel Aviv had put its seal of approval on his original verdict, former defense Minister Ya’alon released a video on his Facebook page, suggesting “the reason the trial dragged on was because of the cynical exploitation of the case by various politicians.

“It can be said that the IDF and the Azaria fmily have been seriously harmed by politicians who shirked their responsibility,” Ya’alon stated, obviously oblivious to his own major role in fanning the flames against the ID soldier by focusing broad media attention on his case. His reference to “a cynical expolitation of the event by self-interested politicians for their personal benefit” is tantamount to a cat accusing its owner of placing that bowl of cream in jeopardy.

Ya’alon, in coordination with Chief of Staff Gadi Eizenkot, ran a campaign against Sgt. Elazar starting hours after the event, practically from the moment the B’Tselem video went public. The fact that the initial response of the two men who sent Sgt. Azaria to battle was to demand his head sans the most preliminary investigation of the facts puts in question their comprehension of the meaning of command. Indeed, one of them, Ya’alon, has already been shown the door, albeit over Prime Minister Netanyahu’s coalition machinations rather than over his failure to grasp the concept of innocent until proven otherwise, especially when it comes to an underling in uniform.

Incidentally, Netanyahu was initially also among the senior politicians who took Azaria to the tool shed before an investigation, undoubtedly because he, too, was scared of the global ramifications of the B’Tselem video, saying, “What happened in Hebron does not represent the values of the IDF,” and declaring that Azaria (although he did not mention him by name) broke with the rules of engagement.

But Netanyahu is a magnificent political beast, and days later, realizing where the winds were blowing, softened his tone and came up with something about how all the IDF soldiers are our children. In the nick of time. Netanyahu also issued a call for a pardon for Azaria on Wednesday, when what was really called for, to correct the damage inflicted by the panel of judges, was a change in the rules of engagement which recognize a terrorist’s right to life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness.

So Netanyahu actually proves the point his former defense minister was making about cynical politicians – but the PM didn’t start this, Ya’alon and Eizenkot did.

It should be noted that one of the sane voices during those first few days following the Hebron shooting, was Habayit Hayehudi Chairman Naftali Bennett, himself quite the political beast, who followed Ya’alon’s rebuke of Azaria at the Knesset plenum by lamenting the brutality of the political class against one IDF medic.

“The military police investigation has yet to begin and already everyone from all over is condemning,” Bennett said, looking at the opposition benches. “Even before we got to hear the part of video where they yell, ‘Explosives, explosives,’ everybody is jumping on top of this soldier. And only then do they pass the material to a military police investigator. You tell me, what chance is there for an honest investigation? Afer the entire State of Israel has determined the soldier committed a crime?”

To sum up: cynicism is a common trait among politicians, but cynicism while your own hands are stained with the blood of your victim… that’s special.

David Israel

Family of Hebron Terrorist Threatens to Sue IDF Sgt. Elor Azaria at ICC

Wednesday, January 4th, 2017

The family of Hebron terrorist Abd Fatah el-Sharif issued a statement threatening Israel and IDF Sgt. Elor Azaria on Wednesday following the conviction of the young combat medic for the shooting death of el-Sharif after he and another terrorist had attacked IDF soldiers in the city in March 2016.

El-Sharif, who had stabbed a soldier, was shot and lying on the ground as Azaria, age 20, had finished attending to his victim. The second terrorist had already been shot and killed by other soldiers while trying to stab another.

Azaria walked over and shot el-Sharif at point-blank range, killing him.

The terrorist’s family vowed after Azaria’s conviction on charges of manslaughter they would ensure the soldier received the “maximum penalty,” Israel’s Channel 10 television news reported.

The stabber’s family told reporters they intend to turn to the International Criminal Court at The Hague over the case, saying “at the ICC, we will make sure this soldier receives the maximum penalties for his crimes.”

But it’s not even clear whether the ICC has any jurisdiction over such a case, let alone over any Israeli soldier whose actions have already been judged and addressed in a sovereign Israeli court of law.

In the wake of his conviction on Wednesday, Azaria faces sentencing by the IDF military court next month. He could face up to 20 years in prison.

Numerous lawmakers are calling for President Reuven Rivlin to consider issuing a presidential pardon in the case, which has torn the country apart.

Hana Levi Julian

Printed from: http://www.jewishpress.com/news/breaking-news/family-of-hebron-terrorist-threatens-to-sue-idf-sgt-elor-azaria-at-icc/2017/01/04/

Scan this QR code to visit this page online: