February 7, 2016 / 28 Shevat, 5776
News & Views

Women of the Wall Relish Victory, Won’t Support Temple Mount Prayer

"Our struggle is only about the Kotel."

Practice makes perfect… A WOW worshipper at the Kotel having a hard time getting those straps to line up. Where's a Chabadnik when you need one?

Photo Credit: Miriam Alster/FLASH90

“For the foreseeable future, Women of the Wall remains committed to praying freely as a women’s only group on the women’s side of the Kotel.”

In other words, a very polite No. In her conversation with The Jewish Press, Pruce admitted visibility was a very important issue for her group. It’s a case of location, location. When you dance in your tallitot at the open-air women’s section the world sees you, but when you’re hidden from site under Robinson’s Arch, only God sees you.

“Judge Sobel declared, as the group has maintained for the past ten years, that women’s prayer, with Torah, tefillin and tallit, is not a disturbance of the peace or a crime, but a valid, civil right which women should be afforded,” the WOW concluded their official gloat this morning.

Can’t argue with that. They won.

A Police spokesperson told The Jewish Press that they have decided top accept the most recent Jerusalem District Court decision to allow the women’s prayer, and any appeal to the Supreme Court should come from the State’s Attorney’s office.

This may mean that the very same cops who have been arresting the Women of the Wall, will now have a chance to arrest Ultra Orthodox men and women who curse them out and spit on them.

As long as the cops have something to do.

About the Author: Yori Yanover has been a working journalist since age 17, before he enlisted and worked for Ba'Machane Nachal. Since then he has worked for Israel Shelanu, the US supplement of Yedioth, JCN18.com, USAJewish.com, Lubavitch News Service, Arutz 7 (as DJ on the high seas), and the Grand Street News. He has published Dancing and Crying, a colorful and intimate portrait of the last two years in the life of the late Lubavitch Rebbe, (in Hebrew), and two fun books in English: The Cabalist's Daughter: A Novel of Practical Messianic Redemption, and How Would God REALLY Vote.

10 Responses to “Women of the Wall Relish Victory, Won’t Support Temple Mount Prayer”

1. Yadira Gomez Corpus says:

Shalom… Elohim YAHWEH Tzebaoth is making judgments to the whole world, as Hoshea prophet said: "my people is loosing by lack of knowledge", so is now happining with these rebel women. Shalom U Brajot.

2. This is an absolute DISGRACE for the court particularly in Israel to SPIT IN THE FACE OF TORAH LAW goes beyond contemptible. It does guarantee in 60 years or so when Orthodox Jews are an absolute majority that these idiots will lose it all and be thrown out completely as they deserve.

3. Chaiya Eitan says:

After reading her comment, I have lost all respect for them. Of coourse there is a connection!

4. Yori Yanover says:

Chaiya Eitan · To be fair, I kind of led her there to see if she could accept the validity of another group's struggle. She didn't go there on her own. But I think I was fair and honest in presenting her double standard.

5. Yori Yanover says:

Maybe equal right for cats as well? What counts at the Kotel is Torah law not democracy and equal rights. Reformists stay in the U.S where you have already caused over 50% intermariage rates. This is proof your cause is wrong. Wake up- you are destroying good things. This is not feminism- but destruction. Its causing gentile women being born from intermariage. It goes against your beliefs. you are mixed up- only G-d knows the proper path- and that the Torah.

7. Gil Gilman says:

Apparently visibility is all they care about, too bad they aren't in ancient Babylon where that was an important statement, rather than in Jerusalem where such visibility with empty utterance is useless.

8. Dan Silagi says:

So women wearing a tallis and reciting Kaddish at the Western Wall will somehow lead to intermarriage? Not that I have any problem with marrying out — I did so myself — but one has absolutely nothing to do with the other. You need to take a refresher course in basic logic.

As for equal rights for cats go, I see no problem with our two kitty cats — one's male, one's female — praying together at the Kotel, paw in paw.

I'm a modern Orthodox Israeli American woman with little sympathy for the WOW. I hear their words which scream ego & never pleasing G-d. Personally I like to pray at the wall alone, just me & Hashem. I don't like the men's prayer that much- it leaves me uninspired, so I can't understand why the WOW want to copy it. Better they should use the room provided at the wall, but then they wouldn't get the attention they so seem to crave.

10. Noe V. Suarez says:

Baruj Hashem for this fair law. I don't see a violation to Torah Law anywhere in the court decision. What about men throwing chairs at women of the wall at rosh hodesh time? Further, were in the Torah says women cannot use Tallit? I think we all have to return to what was practiced at Moshe's times. What is found today in Judaism is far away from what our ancestors practiced.

U.N. Secretary General Ban ki-Moon. Jan. 26, 2015.
Ban ‘Mooned’ at Park East Synagogue

Printed from: http://www.jewishpress.com/news/breaking-news/women-of-the-wall-relish-victory-wont-support-temple-mount-prayer/2013/04/30/