October 25, 2014 / 1 Heshvan, 5775
News & Views
Meir Panim with Soldiers 5774 Roundup: Year of Relief and Service for Israel’s Needy

Meir Panim implements programs that serve Israel’s neediest populations with respect and dignity. Meir Panim also coordinated care packages for families in the South during the Gaza War.

UK Border Control Gone Berserk? Or Just Anti-Semitic? (VIDEO)UPDATED

The UK border security agent told the British man who was going to provide Cantor with summer work experience that “the little Jew will be on his way back to his rich daddy,” in a matter of hours.

Chip Cantor of Kansas City was detained and deported from a UK airport in May, allegedly because of Israeli stamps in his passport

Photo Credit: screen capture of KMBC interview

SEE UPDATE AT THE END OF THE ARTICLE, BELOW THE VIDEO CLIP

Is it possible that an American – true, a Jewish one – was detained for nine hours after landing in England to begin what was to be a summer job and then, after being subjected to anti-Semitic comments and threats, was kicked out?  The 23 year old American was kept in a holding cell, denied all but the meanest of basic necessities, had his passport and luggage taken away, was treated to several nasty anti-Semitic remarks, and then was kicked out of the country as if he were a criminal.  All of this happened, it appears, because the young man had several Israeli stamps on his passport.

It is a story that has taken a little while to get its sea legs, but one which people should begin hearing more about.

Louis Schlezinger “Chip” Cantor is from Kansas City, Kansas.  He spent his gap year on a Young Judea program in Israel, and has been there several other times as well.  This fall Cantor will be a senior at Florida Gulf State University.

During the school year Cantor made arrangements to work in London this summer with Shilling Communications.  He left for England late on May 29.

A tale of shocking treatment by airport border security of a western country, one that is ostensibly an ally of both the United States and Israel, was described in an article in Cantor’s hometown Jewish paper, the Kansas City Jewish Chronicle.

After landing in London, Cantor made his way to the customs agent.  Once it was his turn to hand over his passport, everything proceeded smoothly, Cantor said, until the agent saw the stamps on his passport revealing that Cantor had traveled to Israel several times.  With that, according to Cantor, the border security agent walked away with Cantor’s passport, and a long nightmare began.

About 45 minutes later, another border security agent brought Chip to an interview room, which was like a holding cell, and was told that “if he changed any of his answers to any questions, he was going to go to prison,” Chip’s father, Chuck, said.  The father also said that a woman in a burka came to the cell and photographed and fingerprinted the 23 year old.

This same woman, according to Chuck Cantor, said to Chip, “We’re putting your name and fingerprints and photos into a database. From now on it is going to be very difficult for you to ever travel in the United Kingdom or anywhere in the E.U. It will be up to each individual country to decide if they want to admit you.”

Although the younger Cantor repeatedly told the agents that he had not committed any crimes or done anything wrong, he was eventually told he was going to be deported.  It was not until this point that the border agents finally allowed Chip to call his father.  His father told Chip to call the American Consulate or the U.S. Embassy, but the UK security officials refused both requests.

In addition to the initial trigger being Cantor’s passport having multiple stamps showing entry and exit from Israel, several other specific factors led the Cantors to believe that what motivated the shocking treatment of Cantor by the UK airport border security was anti-Semitism.

For one thing, as Chip Cantor explained in a television interview on local station KMBC, one of the agents said he wanted to see his wallet, because he expected there would be a lot of money in it.

Another was that when Kevin Shilling, the owner of the media company at which Cantor was going to work this summer, called to try and intervene while Cantor was being detained, the customs agent told him that Chip should have lied to the customs agent, adding, “A Jewish kid would find that easy,” Shilling told the Jewish Chronicle.

The border security agent also told Shilling any additional attempts to aid Cantor would be useless and “the little Jew will be on his way back to his rich daddy,” in a matter of hours.

When Cantor was finally escorted onto a plane to return to the U.S., the escort refused to turn over the American’s passport until they were on the plane, and only then, loudly and in full view of the rest of the passengers, the escort said to an airlines employee, “here is this man’s passport. Do not give him his passport until you land in the United States.”

The Jewish Press will continue to monitor this shocking story.

When reached by telephone, Senator Pat Roberts’ (R-KS) media assistant told The Jewish Press that the Senate staff is working with the Cantor family and is treating the matter as a constituent services issue.

Repeated efforts to reach the British Ambassador to the United States and many British Consul Generals were unsuccessful.

An interview with Chip and his father discussing the incident with a local Kansas City television station, is below:

UPDATE: The following was received from a British Embassy spokesperson:

The Home Office expects the highest levels of integrity and behaviour from all our staff. Any complaints of discrimination will be fully investigated.

About the Author: Lori Lowenthal Marcus is the US correspondent for The Jewish Press. She is a recovered lawyer who previously practiced First Amendment law and taught in Philadelphia-area graduate and law schools.

78 Responses to “UK Border Control Gone Berserk? Or Just Anti-Semitic? (VIDEO)UPDATED”

1. OMG!! this is horrendous.Why is it not surprising? How sad is THAT?

2. Nanette CohenRayman says:

well, those filthy brits are sitll anti-Semitic,…..but they just love those muslims, don't they?

3. Nanette CohenRayman says:

4. these are cheap third rate people employed as the junior executive officers and if the burka was involved god forbid us all to have any respect but taunts it happened to me going to usa and refuse a vacant seat paid for me but not utalised the captain could not have his way but landing and going through the immigration was hell it is always personal no need wasting time.

A friend emailed me on this story several hours ago, and, frankly, I found myself incredulous reading the articles at the various web sites.

I emailed my pastor (I am a Christian), who subsequently emailed our congregation, urging us to consider a concerted action. This is not a matter of "constituent services" as Sen. Roberts would have it. It is an international incident and why it is being ignored by the Washington Post and the NY Times is difficult to say.

I would urge the editors and readers here to do all they can to publicize this, and demand action by legislators. My wife who is a scheduled speaker at a Brit conference in August is having misgivings and has contacted the sponsor.

6. england is drowning in its own filth. I wouldn't set foot in europa.

7. H Fragman Abramson says:

I keep expecting some detail that could explain why a Brit (who, btw, would be speaking German if not for the US) would treat an American like that. War criminals are treated better…but the Brits, with all their claims to civility, have entire museums dedicated to implements of torture…so we know their real intentions…

8. Bruce Benedon says:

A hope a lawsuit follows this egregious action.

9. Myriam Obadia says:

I don't have much money, but if I can save enough to vacation abroad, it certainly won't be to the UK.

10. Britain has crossed all red lines with its hate for Israel.

11. If you know anyone in Britain send them this story and tell them to investigate…this is outrageous and makes me want to puke with anger…After Nazi Germany Britain has the most Jewish blood on its hands. Britain must invite the man back, pay his airfare and apologize in public for this conduct

12. Menashe Walsh says:

My story begins around 11 years ago in my professional capacity as a senior lecturer in Electronic engineering at a college in a town made famous by The Beatles waxing lyrical about its potholes. As a visibly Jewish guy I suddenly became embroiled in the fallout of the 2nd Intifada and the results of the town being a major Muslim theological center of the United Kingdom. I remember the first incident vividly when I found a poster on the window of my classroom expressing death to the Jews/ Israel and praising the virtues of Hamas. From there on I was subjected to a two year period of daily verbal abuse from crowds of Muslim youths which ended around the time as I was forced to leave my job with threats of physical violence to myself.

Each day of those 2 years began when I got off the train when I had to run the gauntlet of threats and abuse as I walked through the town center to get to the college. The threats and abuse were also when I walked back to the train station to go home, if I decided to go into town for my lunch and when I walked on campus between one college building and another. A tactic I used to try to avoid such abuse was to travel between one college building and another a few minutes after official break-time between classes.

During those 2 years everybody including the students and the teachers knew of my daily plight but never said anything or did anything. It was only when things started to go wrong as a result of my illness with stress and anxiety and subsequent return to work that the college decided to do something about it. What they did was to discipline me for starting classes 5 minutes too late, my explanation for lateness they refused to consider. Then out of the blue I was frog marched out of my office to the principal where I was informed that I was suspended from college. No reason was ever given for my suspension from College and because there was no reason I returned to my job. However, I was not allowed to teach for a number of months. After this time the College became jittery as I once again resumed my teaching responsibilities and was provided with security guards to escort me from class to class. I still had to run the gauntlet to and from the train station, however. At a meeting in college the police offered a community radio to myself which I indicated I was more than happy to receive and use. However, somewhere in the corridors of power of the College it was decided that me having a police radio was not a good idea. No doubt here is yet another example of the the Police and the College doing their bit for “community cohesion” and the promotion of “respect” blah blah……….blah!

In view of my own experience of hatred by Muslims and now that hatred extending itself to Anglos, I can say in these words I told you so long long ago you Anglophiles. Instead you decided to do nothing, took the easy route and hounded me from my job. The question remaining now is; will you Anglophiles wake up, now something more closer to home has happened to you? Do you have the balls of my grandparents generation who run up those beaches in Dunkirk and Normandy (yes one of my grandparents did that) to preserve true freedom from tyranny?

13. Menashe Walsh says:

14. Menashe Walsh says:

15. David Morris says:

The hunters of JEREMIAH -16…..?

Why not post the name of the college? No point in protecting it. Btw, the US is gradually learning of the extent of Brit anti-Jewish racism. The more quickly we learn, the better for all.

17. Lee George says:

Ask Cameron the Prime Minister, Millband the opposition leader, both are Jews so this story is nonsense.

18. All this "brit anti jewish racism" in the comments section. What is the betting that these 'brits' are all pakistani muslims? the town to which Menashe alludes, the islamified 'Blackburn' has had a Jew, Jack Straw as its MP since 1979! a man who as government minister helped flood this country with immigrants, and settled them in 'his' town. Jews complaining about antisemitism in Europe only have themselves to blame.

19. Leeza Walker says:

I am happy you made aliyah Menashe! What a terrifying experience for you. Not to be taken lightly when one understands that 3 people have been beheaded in just the past few months in England.

20. Alan Kardon says:

I will pass on visiting England till they straighten out their Anti Jewish problem. Soon they will be doing this to Christians and then it will be to late. Anyone hear what Barack Hussein has to say about this?

21. Dan Silagi says:

If this is the whole story, and not a case where this lad was going to work in the UK but didn't get a work permit, it's truly a shonda fur de goyim, and Jews and Jewish organizations worldwide, be they secular or religious, need to band together and denounce the UK with a strong, united voice. Our State Department needs to know about this, too.

Even if Chip Cantor didn't have all his papers in order, there was absolutely no excuse for the obvious anti-Semitism that was displayed. This young man deserves an apology from the Home Secretary, at a minimum.

22. I presume u mean Barack Obama, who was here in South Africa last week, and protesters were holding banners with "Burn Obama Burn" whilst waving "palistinian" flags

23. Mark L. Shane says:

it would make a great compulsory watch documentry movie for brits to cackle & gaggle over when they hail their britania's treatment of jews from roman times to the present. they too will reap what they have sewn with their current alien crowd–cheerio britania.

24. THE WHOLE WORLD HAS LOST IT, IF THEY DON'T GET BACK TO GOD THIS WORLD IS DONE PERIOD.

25. All muslims and other antisemites are to be wiped out from british soil.

26. Stan Harder says:

The time is coming when all Jews who want to live will have to make aliyah from Europe. My wife’s family included Schlesingers from Liverpool, we have lost touch, but I wonder how they are doing.

27. Yes post the name of the college and we can send a letter. So sorry something happened like that to you but the Muslims HATE the Jews. I am from Belgium and lots of incidents happens to Jews there. Once they know you are Jewish and now Christians too they will persecute you. I will pray for you and curse the Muslims.I now live in the USA but when i lived in Belgium i carried a big knife in my purse everywhere i went. Hope you found a better job.

28. Gil Gilman says:

talk about licking the windows…

29. Stuart Kaufman says:

Being an American who has lived in NY, and now in the wonderful state of South Carolina, I have experienced ant-semitism only once or twice in my 69 years, and those times were problematic. When I read an account of such bare faced anti-semitism as this, it is shocking and infuriating. My first reaction is to grind my teeth and wish that I could grind my fist into this scumbag's nose. G-d bless the United States. He is well on his way to cursing the UK. Remember Genesis 12:3: I will bless those who bless my people, and those who curse them will I curse. The UK is in the process of getting what it deserves.

30. Stuart Kaufman says:

31. Stuart Kaufman says:

32. they are bitterly angry that despite their best (worst) efforts of denying Jewish survivors to enter their homeland, that Israel is such a remarkable, energetic prosperous nation state of the Jewish people. strong, independent and resistant to anyone's bullying. in contrast, england is drowning in a sewer of filth of its own making, pandering to the bizarre death cult of islam. they had one moment of churchill. then nothing.

33. Why did Chip Cantor not ask for the border agency official's name and what reason was given for refusing entry in the UK?
    Without that information this story has little credibility.
    Also why has no official complaint been made to the UK Border Agency?

34. What were the names of the customs agents?

35. Tabish Aiman says:

Marvin….did the boy have a work visa (very difficult to get one)? If not and he declared his intention to work…he would deported.. Highly doubtful for immigration officials of any nation to make anti semetic remarks considering their position. More likely sour grapes? I could be wrong but I am seeing more of this type of post especially from aggrieved muslims and jews….all it does is incite hatred and polarizes the situation….

What's with all these fking pop-ups on this website. Do you people have ADHD or something?

37. This is pure hate for the Jewish people and for the state of Israel and this hate and bias is not only from the British media but from all Department of Gov.in Britain.

38. Dan Silagi says:

I worked for Merrill Lynch in London in the late 1980's, and I had to get a work visa so I could spend two years in Merrill's UK headquarters. I had to be sponsored, of course, and Merrill, which was tight with the UK authorities (there were other Americans there beside myself) had to fill out a bunch of forms stating why there was no Brit available to do my job (international options and futures strategist). Then I had to be interviewed by the Ministry of Labor, which granted my document, which was stamped right inside my passport.

I have the feeling those procedures weren't followed by Shilling, and that the immigration agent saw that the kid was going to be there for a year, with no work visa. Of course, the anti-Semitism was unnecessary and totally gratuitous, as was the BS about the kid being placed on some terrorist watch list.

Some Brits are wonderful people; others can be Arschholes, just like everyone else.

39. Walter Stolz says:

now you can add the Brits to the Frogs as haters and being jealous of the Israel.

40. Nic Ray says:

My friend's daughter from Israel came to London a few years ago and they were anti Semitic to her. This is not new and is going to get worse as Islam continues to grow in the UK.

41. Jonathan Hoffman says:

I live in the UK and have asked my Member of Parliament to investigate this

42. This is outrageous! Has all of this been documented? What is being done to rectify this situation. What is our State Department doing? The story should make headlines worldwide!–even the New York Times. But it won't. EAch person who reads this should tell at least one person about it. To whom shoiuld we write letters?

43. Robin Yvonne says:

I think Chip and his father should sue the border control agency and any other agency involved for as much as possible for the treatment he received. It's the only way to make a point. You can't expect justice for a Jew in the UK so they might as well get money from them.

44. F–king anti-Semitic British officials who appear to be under control of the Sharia loving Islamic Jihadists who are assuming great influence in what had been a civilized nation.

45. Philip Israel Witriol says:

Regardless of the specifics of this story, it's worth noting that many Cusoms and security staff at Heathrow and other airports are Asian of whom many will be Muslim.

46. David Ifergan says:

in your dreams.
    british soil belongs to muslims

47. David Ifergan says:

The UK is in the process of getting what it deserves.

48. Amy Kochan Hemming says:

I believe he was going to be a volunteer from the report – regardless the anti-Semitic comments were unacceptable

49. Amy Kochan Hemming says:

50. The whole world supports the terrorist Muslims against the Jews and Israel.
    Do these countries, which are mostly , at this stage, Christian, not realise that in about 30 years time, or maybe sooner, the Muslim immigrants will be the majority, and those same Chrsitians who are so anti Semitic and anti Israel, and pro Palestinian, will then be under Islamic rule?
    When will they wake up to the spread of Islam?
    For years, the Muslims have been saying that they will rule the world and "you either convert to Islam, or else!"

It will then be too late. Will the Christian world them apologise to the Jews for their blindness?

Will the Chrsitian world join the Jews in their fight against the spread of Islam?

Why have so many Christian countries allowed the mass immigration of Muslims into their countries? Surely they should wake up by now and stop immigration and deport any troublemakers, or those who will not intigrate into those countries ?

WAKE UP CHTRISTIAN WORLD BEFORE YOU WILL BE DHIMINIS (SECOND CLASS CITIZENS IN YOUR OWN COUNTRY)

51. Pearl Ezekiel says:

England like the rest of Western Europe has fallen into the hands of Islam, and many of them work at airports and border crossings, so the Jewish people better get ready for this kind of Shocking Treatment.

52. Stephen Donnelly says:

tosh! stick to window licking and spelling tests Judith

53. This is unbelievable. If it's happening in England, can we in America really continue to fool ourselves into thinking we are safe from the rampant and growing anti-Semitism? Southern Ncsyers traveling abroad with our summer programs, all 81 of you, let us know if you encounter any "teachable" moments like these on your journey.

54. Robert Honeyman says:

or an isolated incident that will be dealt with? when it happens a second time, i treat it as a problem. until then, racist workers exist everywhere.

55. Rebecca Fuchs Siev says:

Yes. But I wonder what has been done to these workers in response to their inappropriate behavior.

56. Linda Gayle Fritz says:

This made local news coverage as he is from Kansas City.

57. totally agree…..something not quite right here

58. don't agree..most ordinary Brits have no feelings either way and still feel strongly about what happened to Jewish people in the war….

59. then you become as bad as the real " haters "/troublemakers….

60. anyone who is subjected to any kind of insults egardless of what it is should complain there and then… it would def be followed up…

61. oh so wrong inyour thinking…..sorry…

62. then you compalin to the higher authorities if you are mistreated.. I am a British Christian and would def complain in " another " was treating me badly….

63. not only Jewish my friend… us Brits suffer too…

64. If this was the only story of anti-Semitism out of England, Robert Honeyman, I'd agree with you. But how much longer are we going to deny that this is a serious problem, and not "fluke?" And there wasn't a SINGLE supervisor / co-worker / field staff who thought to speak up? Isn't that itself a great calamity?

65. If this was the only story of anti-Semitism out of England, Robert Honeyman, I'd agree with you. But how much longer are we going to deny that this is a serious problem, and not "fluke?" And there wasn't a SINGLE supervisor / co-worker / field staff who thought to speak up? Isn't that itself a great calamity?

66. Whilst I might agree with your obvious feelings, too much of what you say is factually incorrect, and those inaccuracies greatly weaken your argument against those wicked, biased Immigration officers.
    As a betting person, you are likely a regular loser – it's absolute nonsense to suggest 'that these 'brits' are all pakistani muslims'.
    Jack Straw had a Jewish grandfather, which, even in the most watered-down form of Liberal Judaism, does NOT make him a Jew.
    His lousy track record as the Foreign Secretary is lousy, and particularly so regarding Israel.
    Your final statement implying that 'complaining' Jews are to blame for the anti-Semitism against them is totally devoid of reason. The ONLY ones to blame for anti-Semitism are the mentally depraved anti-Semites (Jew-haters) themselves.

67. Yochi Eisner says:

This is just one more story in our very long history of hatred of Jews. It's time to come home to Israel, before it's too late….

68. Yochi Eisner says:

69. Yochi Eisner says:

70. Pearl Ezekiel says:

What r u and the Brits going to do about this? Every day its going to get worse and soon it will be diffucult to resovle the situation.Before you know it UK will become another Islamic country.

71. FACT #1: If Muslim's put down their weapons and stopped all aggression toward the Jews there would be true peace in the region.

FACT #2: If the Jews put down their weapons and stopped all aggression toward the Muslim's there would be no more Jews!

FACT #3: If the Muslim's gave up their claim to the holyland and allowed the Jews to live there, there would be peace in the region.

FACT #4: If the Jews gave up their claim to the holyland and allowed the Muslims to live there, even if the Jews were to move to the moon the Muslim's would build a shuttle and hunt them down.

Yes, it really is just that simple people.

72. Anya Chana Raben says:

"The UK Border Agency does not comment on individual cases, but the JC understands that Mr Cantor was turned away because he failed to apply for a relevant visa. The case had “nothing to do with antisemitism”, a source said."

Confused? Cause I am.

In: http://www.thejc.com/node/108867

73. Anya Chana Raben says:

Confused? Cause I am.

In: http://www.thejc.com/node/108867

74. Bruce Benedon says:

Nurit Greenger/// and the perps need to sacked as well

75. Bruce Benedon says:

you are a sick man.

76. Rini Gonsher says:

AND in freaking liberal California!

Do you know where your vegetables grow?
Not So Kosher Shemittah L’Mehadrin