web analytics
November 27, 2014 / 5 Kislev, 5775
At a Glance

Posts Tagged ‘Cairo’

Government May Have to Decide if Money Buys Peace or War with Hamas

Tuesday, August 12th, 2014

An idea on the negotiating table in Cairo that tax money collected by Israel for the Palestinian Authority would end up in the pockets of Hamas in exchange in exchange for a supposed truce was debunked Tuesday by key coalition government partner Naftali Bennett, who said the scheme is nothing short of extortion.

The Minister of the Economy and chairman of the Jewish Home Party, the third largest in the coalition, said the idea is one of “Pay us – we’ll shoot at your later; don’t pay us – we’ll shoot at you now.”

Israel previously has insisted that all money it transfers to the Palestinian Authority cannot reach Hamas, which is a fiction because the Palestinian Authority ends up paying for salaries of Hamas government “workers,” which includes “civil servants” with machine guns.

The government in the past also has used the tax money to pay off a huge debt owed to Israel Electric Corp.(IEC) by the electric company in the Palestinian Authority.

Most of the “news” on negotiations in Cairo between Hamas and Israel, mediated by Egypt in order to maintain the illusion that Israel and Hamas do not recognize each other, is based on the usual Hamas hyperbole and threats, and on more substantiated reports.

The guts of a proposed agreement reportedly would extend the 72-hour ceasefire due to expire on midnight Wednesday.

Israel would perform a very poor trick of magic by handing over the money to Hamas through a third party to fool itself that it is not paying Hamas directly.

That idea sent Bennett through the ceiling. “Extortion” and “dangerous” were only two of the unflattering adjectives he expressed. He warned that the money will be used by terrorists “who are digging under our feet… It’s a ‘calm for money to terrorists formula.’ You don’t pay Hamas, you defeat them.”

Bennett said he will fight the proposal if it comes to the Cabinet for a vote.

Israel reportedly is willing to ease the blockade without removing it completely, and Egypt would do the same at the border in the divided city of Rafah. Israel also is seriously considering extending the permitted fishing zone to six nautical miles and to allow, once again, construction materials to move into Gaza under supervision.

As with previous ceasefire agreements and concessions on the blockade, supervisory measures are questionable.

Hamas exploited Israel’s previous agreement to allow cement and other “dual-use” materials into Gaza and used them to build tunnels for terrorists, among other activities that were at the expense of building houses and schools. Even then, Hamas has used schools and homes, as well as mosques and hospitals, as rocket launching pads, so all “dual purpose” materials ultimately had only one purpose – terror.

Officially, “no progress” has been made in the talks. This is expected because Hamas always likes to keep everyone in suspense until the last minute, or even after the last minute.

For good measure, it has publicly threatened that any extended ceasefire would simply be a temporary measure until the next war. That can be dismissed as rhetoric in the short-term, but in the long-term, Hamas means what it says. Its existence depends on attacking Israel. If it does not, it risks losing its power to rival terrorist groups who would be happy to take over the task.

One of the most dangerous elements of a possible longer-term agreement for a truce is allowing security forces from the Palestinian Authority, headed by Mahmoud Abbas, to supervise the “Philadlphi” smuggling route at and near Rafah.

Abbas and Hamas have accepted each other as peace partners in a new unity government, which has carefully placed “technocrats” in the government, a camouflage for the grip over Gaza by Hamas and its full-fledged army.

Israel-Gaza Cease Fire Talks Appear Deadlocked on Disarmament

Tuesday, August 12th, 2014

Cease fire talks in Cairo appear deadlocked on the issue of disarmament, according to sources close to the negotiations.

This is the same issue that created an inconclusive end to the Second Lebanon War with the Hezbollah terror organization in the summer of 2006. Despite an eventual resolution to the conflict, Hezbollah ultimately never disarmed, and has continued as a threat to Israel from the Lebanese side of the border.

“We are facing difficult negotiations,” Hamas spokesperson Moussa Abu Marzouk told the Palestinian Arab Ma’an news agency, based in Bethlehem, on Tuesday. “The first ‘pause’ passed without any significant achievements.

“This is the second and final cease fire,” he warned.

Israeli officials, meanwhile, predicted that another 72-hour cease fire would be needed to hammer out any type of real agreement with Hamas, according to a report broadcast on Voice of Israel public radio. That, in addition to the cease fire currently in place, due to end Wednesday at midnight.

The arsenal of Hamas rockets and missiles has yet to be de-fanged, and some 300,000 Israelis remain internally displaced due to the life-threatening situation in their residential areas as a result.

A second Palestinian Arab source in Cairo who is close to the talks told the Reuters news agency on Tuesday that it would take another 24 hours before anyone could say whether an agreement could be reached.

“So far we can’t say that any breakthroughs have been achieved,” he said. “Twenty-four hours and we shall see whether we have an agreement.”

The Palestinian Arab delegation is demanding that Israel open all border crossings, allow a seaport and an airport, extend Gaza’s coastal fishing rights to 22 kilometers, increase the number and variety of materials allowed into the region and permit funds to flow into Gaza, ostensibly to pay the salaries of Hamas officials.

Israel is insisting that Hamas and all allied terrorist entities disarm, and that the region be demilitarized.

The issue of the seaport and the airport, as well as the influx of funds and free flow of materials into the region, all impact on the issue of disarmament. Hamas and its allies have misused funds and materials flowing into the region for humanitarian and civil purposes to build terrorist tunnels and purchase and create weapons with which to attack Israel instead.

Cabinet Meeting Cancelled as Ministers Kept in the Dark

Tuesday, August 12th, 2014

The planned Israeli cabinet meeting to discuss the negotiations with Hamas has been cancelled to the dismay of many of the cabinet ministers.

The ministers are concerned that they are being kept in the dark about the ongoing negotiations with Hamas, in order to prevent them from being able to influence the outcome.

Their biggest fear is that they will presented with a done deal, and will then be expected to rubber stamp it, no matter how bad the deal is for Israel.

Since the deal is being brokered by Egypt, the cabinet may be told that rejecting the deal will be an affront to Egypt and negatively impact the diplomatic relationship between Jerusalem and Cairo.

Even Minister Tzipi Livni is reportedly upset, as the issue of the Gazan port is apparently seriously on the table, and Livni wanted to save the port for a final status agreement, to reward PA President Mahmoud Abbas, and not Hamas.

Barrage of Rocket Attacks Continues – Update (11:48pm)

Sunday, August 10th, 2014

11:48pm Be’er Sheva

11:45 Rocket Alert Ashdod.. Ashkelon…Shafir… Kiryat..Malachi

11:44pm Ashdod, Ashkelon, Ashdod, Ashkelon

11:26pm Eshkol x2

10:55pm Eshkol

9:59pm Ashdod

8:12pm Sdot Negev, Shaar Negev

7:55pm Ashkelon Coast

7:47pm Rocket Alert Sha’ar HaNegev

7:11pm Ashkelon Coast

7:05pm Multiple Rocket Alerts Sdot Negev…Netivot

7:05pm Ashkelon, Kfar Maimon, Gaza border communities – all Multiples.

6:43pm Ashkelon Coast

6:38pm Sdot Negev, Shaar Negev

6:38pm Sdot Negev, Shaar Negev

5:54pm Sdot Negev, Shaar Negev

5:07pm Eshkol

4:11pm Ashkelon Coast

15:48 pm: The Iron Dome anti-missile system intercepts rocket near Netivot.

15:41 p.m: Hamas forces resumption of blockade with rocket fire on area of Kerem Shalom crossing, closed becauseof the danger of a rocket strike.

15:32 Multiple rocket attack warnings at Sdot Negev, Netivot and Kfar Maimon.

15:15 pm: Sirens warnings of multiple rocket attacks on Ashkelon and Gaza Belt communities.

15:13: pm: Arab negotiators have accepted an Egyptian proposal for a new 72-hour ceasefire with Israel, according to reports from Egyptian media and quoted by Sky News.

14:50 p.m: The Iron Dome system intercepts two rockets over Sderot.

14:47 pm: Sirens sound at Sderot.

14:43 pm: Rocket explodes next to a community in the Eshkol region.

14:25 pm: Rocket warning siren at Kissufim on the border with northern Gaza.

14:05 pm: Arabic language media in Egypt report that government officials expect the Israeli delegation to return for negotiations.

14:01 pm: Rocket warning sirens sound in Sderot.

13:55 pm: Two rockets exploded in open areas in the Eshkol region in the Western Negev. No injuries.

13:04 p.m.: Netanyahu says, “Israel will not conduct negotiations under fire.”

12:43 pm: Rocket warning at Kerem Shalom.

9:44 am: Four rockets explode in the Eshkol region.

7:52 am Hamas says chances for ceasefire slim….Palestinian Authority delegation to Cairo says if Israel does not return their negotiation team today then they will leave. Israel states they will not negotiate a ceasefire under fire.

Rockets continue to be shot at Israel…

6:13 am in the Eshkol region.

3:34 am Rocket alert Hof Ashkelon.

1:09 IDF Lt. Col. Peter Lerner from IDF Spox: Over 100 rockets fired at Israel since cease fire. At least 20 Gazan rockets landed IN Gaza.

No wonder the UN wanted us to give Gaza an Iron Dome….

Yay, Another Ceasefire

Sunday, August 10th, 2014

Israel has accepted yet another pointless cease fire, this one to begin at midnight, to be preceded by the expected barrage of rockets on Israel at around 11:55pm. That does not include all those rockets that still continue to rain down on Israel at the moment, as Israel apparently chooses the path of maximum restraint and minimal results.

This latest cease fire, if it isn’t broken again by Hamas sometime in the beginning, middle or end of it, is planned to go on for 72 hours.

Israel has refused to negotiate with Hamas while Hamas continues to shoot at us, so that apparently was the impetus for this latest cease fire. If it holds, the Israeli negotiating team will head back to Cairo to hear more of Hamas’s unrealistic maximalist demands.

Strikingly, Hamas has not yet agreed to the cease fire.

Most Israelis are becoming fed up with the realization that the army was not allowed to finish the job in Gaza, and that Hamas wasn’t eradicated by the IDF as it should have been.

17 rockets have fallen on Israel since noon.

Israel Govt: ‘Operation Continues Until Quiet and Security Restored’

Sunday, August 10th, 2014

Palestinian Arab factions are growing impatient waiting in Cairo but Israel says truce talks are over until the rocket fire stops.

After a weekend in which Gaza terrorists fire more than 100 rockets at Israel, representatives of the Palestinian Arab factions in Cairo say they will leave on Sunday, because Israel refuses to negotiate under fire.

At 12:44 pm Sunday afternoon, a Code Red alert was flashed to residents of the Kerem Shalom community and surrounds, giving them 15 seconds to find shelter. It was the seventh such attack since midnight.

“Operation Protective Edge continues,” Prime Minister Binyamin Netanyahu stated as he opened Sunday’s weekly cabinet meeting at the offices of the defense ministry in Tel Aviv.

“We have not, at any point, said that it ended, and it will continue until it has achieved its goals. This will take time,” he said. “Israel will not conduct negotiations under fire and will work to change the reality to return security to its citizens.”

Because Hamas flatly refused to extend the cease fire, and Gaza terrorists began shelling southern Israeli communities four hours before the truce officially was set to end Friday morning, the Israeli delegation left Cairo. Representatives of the various Palestinian Arab factions – and those of Hamas as well, apparently – remained in Cairo, believing Egypt could persuade the Israelis to return.

But Jerusalem and Israel’s citizens have had enough of the incessant rocket attacks raining down upon civilian families, and no one is willing any longer to live their lives under fire. By Sunday morning, those factions were “threatening” to leave Cairo if the Israelis “don’t return to the table in the next 24 hours.”

The threat has moved no one in Israel, especially since Gaza terrorists had already fired six rocket attacks at Israeli civilians early Sunday morning.

Foreign Minister Avigdor Liberman said bluntly that he expected little, if anything, to result from such talks. “From the beginning I said that our goal should be to defeat Hamas… their minimal demands are beyond Israel’s maximal position. This situation cannot continue. If my recommendations had been accepted we would not be in this situation.”

Liberman’s view was supported by Interior Minister Gideon Sa’ar, who agreed that Israel needs to “destroy Hamas’s military power in Gaza. It was true in the past, and it is true now, in order to allow residents of the south to return home.”

Defense Minister Moshe Ya’alon vowed to silence the rocket fire – as he has in the past – addressing the growing outrage from southern residents who were told just three days ago that it was now “safe to go home.”

“If Hamas thinks it will exhaust us, it is wrong,” Defense Minister Moshe Ya’alon said. “We will not negotiate under fire. We entered talks in Cairo in good faith, and Hamas decided to renew its rocket fire on Israel.” The IDF responded with air strikes that destroyed a number of terrorist targets in Gaza.

“We will not compromise until rocket fire and terror completely stop,” Ya’alon promised. “We see the greater political and military picture, and we will not end the operation until quiet and security are returned to Israel’s citizens.”

Hamas: Continuing Negotiation – As Rockets Fire at Israel

Friday, August 8th, 2014

A Hamas spokesperson (who hasn’t yet been executed by his bosses) said that Hamas is continuing to negotiate in Cairo with Israel,according to a report on Nana10.

The spokesperson said that Hamas has not agreed to extend the cease fire for another 72 hours as Egypt requested, but they will continue to talk.

Other members of the Gaza contingent have expressed pessimism on whether the talks will continue or not.

Hamas has not yet claimed responsibility for this morning’s barrage of rockets.

There is no news yet of any Israeli military response, at all, to the rockets launched at Israel this morning.

Update: 9:57am Israel attacks northern Gaza (finally) – Walla from Arab sources.

Printed from: http://www.jewishpress.com/news/breaking-news/hamas-continuing-negotiation-as-rockets-fire-at-israel/2014/08/08/

Scan this QR code to visit this page online: