web analytics
August 29, 2015 / 14 Elul, 5775
At a Glance

Posts Tagged ‘Defense Minister’

U.S. Gen. Martin Dempsey in Israel for Bilateral Military Talks [video]

Tuesday, June 9th, 2015

U.S. Joint Chiefs of Staff Chairman Gen. Martin Dempsey arrived in Israel on Monday as the official guest of his counterpart, Israel Defense Forces Chief of Staff Lt.-Gen. Gadi Eizenkot.

The two military leaders will meet, along with Defense Minister Moshe Ya’alon and other Israeli security officials, to discuss bilateral military cooperation and other common security challenges.

The trip will be Dempsey’s fifth visit to Israel since becoming chairman of the Joint Chiefs. Dempsey is scheduled to step down from that position on Oct. 1 and President Barack Obama has nominated Marine Corps commandant Gen. Joseph Dunford to replace him.

While U.S.-Israel ties have been strained politically under Obama, the nations’ strategic defense relationship under Dempsey has remained strong, with the U.S. providing funding for the highly successful Iron Dome missile defense system and discussions of an increase in American military aid to Israel underway.

Eizenkot, below, presented the IDF badge of appreciation to Dempsey.

UN Equates Israel With Hamas, Both Off UN Blacklist

Tuesday, June 9th, 2015

The United Nations equated Israel on Monday with the Iranian-backed Hamas terror organization that rules Gaza.

The UN left both Israel – the sole democracy in the Middle East – and the terrorist group off its blacklist of those who violate children’s rights during conflicts.

UN special envoy for children and armed conflict Leila Zerrougui of Algeria had listed both Hamas and Israel in the report she sent for final approval to UN Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon, according to UN sources.

Israel was subjected to sharp criticism by Zerrougui for the impact on children created by its 2014 counter terror war against the terrorists – who for years rained down rocket fire on Israeli children and their families.

On Monday, UN Security Council members received the draft as well. But it was Ban with whom the final decision rested. Sources told journalists the secretary-general elected to strike both Israel and Hamas from the list.

The decision, said the sources, was highly unusual.

Meanwhile, Gaza terrorists are again testing Israel’s resolve. On Saturday night, civilians were sent racing to their bomb shelters once again when a Grad Katyusha rocket was fired at southern Israel from northern Gaza.

The rocket was intercepted by the Iron Dome anti-missile defense system, indicating that it had been heading directly for a major population center. Shrapnel from the destroyed rocket was later identified on the outskirts of the coastal city of Ashkelon.

Defense Minister Moshe Ya’alon warned Monday that Israel will not “allow anyone to disrupt the lives” of her citizens.

Speaking at an awards ceremony attended by IDF Chief of Staff Gadi Eisenkot that was held at the home of President Reuven Rivlin in Jerusalem to honor IDF reservists, Ya’alon said, “In recent days we received another reminder about the complexity of the situation in Gaza.”

Ya’alon spoke of “a hostile entity controlled by a murderous terrorist organization, Hamas, which is also challenged by terror gangs affiliated with global jihad.”

Israel, he said, is maintaining a “determined and decisive policy, one that is measured and responsible… If we are required to, and we continue to be challenged, we will not hesitate to act,” he warned.

Israel Buys German Ships to Protect Gas & Oil Rigs in Mediterranean

Monday, May 11th, 2015

Israel and Germany have signed a 430-million Euro contract to provide the Jewish State with four ships to protect natural gas and oil rigs in the Mediterranean.

The Defense Ministry announced the deal on Monday with the arrival in Tel Aviv of German Defense Minister Ursula von der Leyen for an official state visit.

Included in the agreement was a special grant of 115 million Euros provided to Israel by the German government.

The project is being funded via the Exclusive Economic Zone through a budget separate from that used for defense.

Maj.-Gen. (res.) Dan Harel, managing director of the Defense Ministry, said the acquisition represented “a dramatic improvement in the navy’s ability to protect strategic sites for the State of Israel.”

The four patrol corvette-type vessels are to be built by the TKMS German shipyard in the city of Kiel near Hamburg. All will be equipped with Israeli combat systems.

The shipyard is owned and operated by the TK Consortium, which has committed to a reciprocal purchase from Israel. TK Consortium has agreed to buy at least NIS 700 million in Israeli defense product under the terms of the contract.

Given the equipment with which the vessels are to be loaded, Israel’s defense industry will be busy for the next five years, when the vessels are to arrive.

Dolphin submarines currently in use by the Israel Navy were produced in the same shipyard.

Herzog-Livni Drafts Potential Defense Minister

Tuesday, January 20th, 2015

The merged Labor party, AKA the “Zionist Camp” headed by Yitzchak Herzog and Tzipi Livni, has drafted former military intelligence chief Amos Yadlin to fill its vacuum for a future Defense Minister if it forms the next government.

Israel Radio (Voice of Israel) was quick to promote Yadlin Tuesday morning with soft-glove questions that allowed him to show off his knowledge.

He divulged the astounding opinion that anyone who wants to kill Israelis should be killed first, apparently a revolutionary concept for Israel Radio, which has a blatant leftist agenda even though it is supposed to be non-political.

Ya’alon Says Hamas Uninterested in Further Escalation

Monday, June 30th, 2014

Defense Minister Moshe Ya’alon told residents of southern Israeli communities living near the border with Gaza that Hamas terrorists do not want a war with Israel.

“Hamas is not interested in further escalation and is relaying these messages through Egypt,” Ya’alon told residents with whom he met on Monday.

“The rocket fire is unacceptable,” he continued. “Hamas operates most of the year against the sources that launch these attacks [against Israel] and enforces the understandings reached after Operation Pillar of Defense.”

For some time, Gaza’s Hamas rulers have been engaged in a quiet power struggle of their own for control over the region. Al Qaeda-linked Salafi Muslim terrorist groups have been growing in popularity among more radical members of Hamas and have begun to openly challenge the organization for control over Gaza.

Nevertheless, Prime Minister Binyamin Netanyahu warned over the weekend after a massive barrage of rocket attacks launched at southern Israel that if Hamas could not the rocket fire, Israel would be forced to do so.

Ya’alon: ‘We Won’t Ignore the Fire’

Thursday, June 12th, 2014

Israel will not ignore attacks from Gaza regardless of the views of the international community – or the United States, warned Defense Minister Moshe Ya’alon on Thursday.

Ya’alon told media, “We will not ignore the fire, or the attempted attacks whose purpose is to disrupt the lives of our citizens living in the south and to harm our forces.

“We will pursue and lay our hands on whoever threatens us,” the defense minister said.

“We will know how to act whenever and wherever necessary to thwart any attempts by terrorist forces in Gaza to strike Israeli citizens, just as we did last night.”

On Wednesday night, 33-year-old Gaza-based global jihad terrorist Mahmad Awar, a resident of Beit Lahia, was eliminated in a joint Shin Bet-Israel Air Force operation.

The strike followed a rocket attack on southern Israel earlier in the day.

The terrorist was killed in a surgical air strike with a missile fired at him while he was riding a motorcycle. A companion, 30-year-old Muhamed Ahmed – also of Beit Lahia — was also killed, and a third, Hamada Hassan, was injured.

In his “day job,” Awar worked as a Hamas ‘police officer’ but he was also responsible for firing numerous rockets at southern Israel. At the time of his death, Awar was plotting to shoot down an IDF helicopter with an anti-aircraft missile, according to a report by Rotternik. The threat was serious enough to warrant a pre-emptive strike by the military.

Most recently, Awar had been involved in a rocket attack on the southern Israeli city of Sderot during the Jewish holiday of Passover.

“This terror infrastructure is a violent and extremist Salafi cell which has carried out several rocket attacks and has attempted to implement diverse terror attacks against Israel, as well as attempts to target a helicopter,” the IDF Spokesperson’s Office explained. “The pre-emptive strike was intended to prevent Awar from executing further attacks he had planned against Israel.”

PM Netanyahu Debunks Peace Deal Claim: ‘Peres Had No Deal With PA’

Wednesday, May 7th, 2014

The Prime Minister’s Office came out swinging in an overnight Independence Day statement Yom HaAtzma’ut, bluntly denying that President Shimon Peres ever reached a final status deal with Palestinian Authority Chairman Mahmoud Abbas.

The statement, reported overnight by Voice of Israel government radio, denied a claim by the president reported earlier in the day that he had reached an agreement with the Ramallah-based PA chairman three years ago.

“The only one Abbas has reached an agreement with is with [the Gaza-based terrorist organization] Hamas,” commented the PMO.

President Peres had told Israel’s Channel 2 TV in an interview over the holiday that three years ago he reached a deal in principle after four meetings abroad with Mahmoud Abbas. However, he said it was scotched by Prime Minister Netanyahu, who nixed the agreement just prior to what was to be a fifth and final meeting in Amman.

The president said Mr. Netanyahu told him to wait because Quartet Middle East envoy Tony Blair, a former UK prime minister also involved in talks with the PA, might bring to the table a better offer. “But the days passed and that deal never materialized,” Mr. Peres lamented.

Israel’s president – whose position is primarily ceremonial and traditionally not intended to be functionary – said his own discussions had been about land swaps and total land mass rather than boundary lines. Maps had not yet been drawn, the president said, reported the Independent Media Review and Analysis, IMRA.

Cancelling the fifth meeting, he allegedly told the PA Chairman in August 2011, “I’m sorry, but the government doesn’t accept what we have negotiated and there’s nothing more I can do.”

The “secret” talks were never secret, however, and there is some question over how far the president’s diplomatic authorization supposedly reached.

President Peres, who was the architect of the failed Oslo Accords, is expected to retire next month as he reaches the age of 90 after a political career of seven decades.

Meanwhile, Defense Minister Moshe Ya’alon is meeting today with the Knesset Foreign Affairs and Security Committee as lawmakers review the current security situation.

On the agenda are all recent events, including those of the ‘price tag’ incidents, ‘David the Nahlawi’ and the attacks in Judea and Samaria that followed the cessation of final status talks between Israel and the Palestinian Authority.

Printed from: http://www.jewishpress.com/news/breaking-news/pm-netanyahu-debunks-peace-deal-claim-peres-had-no-deal-with-pa/2014/05/07/

Scan this QR code to visit this page online: