web analytics
May 1, 2016 / 23 Nisan, 5776

Posts Tagged ‘terror attack’

World Condemnations After Brussels Terror Attack Leaves 34 Dead, 136 Wounded

Tuesday, March 22nd, 2016

“We are facing a difficult, challenging time and we should face up to this by being united,” Belgian Prime Minister Charles Michel said after the attack in a televised news conference. “What we feared, has happened… There are many dead, many injured.”

Officials asked the public for blood donations.

Belgium has raised national security to Level 4, its highest level, in the wake of Tuesday morning’s multi-site terror attacks in Brussels.

According to the Belgian Health Ministry, a total of 34 people were killed and 136 others were wounded in the two explosions at the Brussels international airport and in three explosions on the Brussels metro train system. At the airport, 14 were killed; 20 more were killed in the attacks on the metro, according to Flemish broadcaster VRT.

A Kalashnikov AK-47 assault rifle was found at the departure lounge following the attack – the same type used by the ISIS terrorists during the Nov. 13 attacks in Paris.

Public transportation networks were disrupted throughout Brussels. Security across the European continent has been tightened as well. All flights in and out of Brussels were canceled.

The Belgian Royal Palace was evacuated in response to the attacks, according to state broadcaster RTBF.

Following the incident, King Philippe and Queen Mathilde issued a statement saying they were “Distressed by the odious attacks on Brussels-National and the Brussels metro. Our thoughts are with the victims, families and emergency services.”

Flags at the European Commission — just a few hundred meters away — were lowered. A spokesperson for the commission said Europe was united against terrorism. “We stand together, united against terror and in full solidarity with the people of Brussels,” the statement said.

Israel expressed its support for Belgium as well. “Solidarity with Belgium, the latest victim of the hatred unleashed by Islamic extremism,” Foreign Ministry spokesperson Emmanuel Nachshon tweeted.

Security experts warned of possible copycat attacks being carried out in other European cities; in response, London and Paris raised their alert levels. In London, Paris, Amsterdam and Frankfurt security was tightened.

French President Francoise Hollande condemned what he called the “heinous” attacks, saying it was really Europe that had been targeted. Hollande added the whole world should be concerned, calling the terrorism a “global threat which necessitates a global response.” At Charles de Gaulle airport in Paris armed guards and other military personnel boosted security there and at other borders.

Britain’s Prime Minister David Cameron said the UK would do all it could to assist Belgium in the crisis, as London’s Heathrow and Gatwick airports bristled with upgraded security. “I am shocked and concerned by the events in Brussels,” Cameron tweeted shortly after the news broke. “We will do everything we can to help.” The British prime minister is set to meet Tuesday evening with the counter terror Cobra committee.

The countries of Europe need to “stand together “ against terror, Cameron said. “We face a very real terrorist threat right across the different countries of Europe and we have to meet that with everything we have.” A united front is needed “against these appalling terrorists to make sure they can never win,” he added.

The British prime minister spoke with his Belgian counterpart to offer condolences and security support. The UK threat level, meanwhile, remains at “severe,” meaning an attack is assessed to be highly likely, according to The Guardian news site. Additional police officers have been deployed around London.

Condemnations of the attack and statements of condolence poured in from around the world, including from Russia’s President Vladimir Putin, India’s Prime Minister Narendra Modi and Afghanistan’s President Ashraf Ghani.

CNN bureau anchor Max Foster in London was blunt in pointing out that the terror group was carrying out its declared intention to conduct a jihad against Western civilization – beginning with Europe.

The attack on a major European city was not unexpected, Foster said; the head of counter terror in London was “expecting it at some point.” This might be it, Foster said, “some big spectacular attack in multiple locations on a European city.” It could be anywhere.

“This is an attack on Western lifestyle now,” Foster said. “It’s not the lone wolf radicalized online that we’ve been hearing so much about in the past.” This is something else, he pointed out. It’s a military-style operation – trained attackers with a strategy.

Hana Levi Julian

Wounded Maaleh Adumim Guard’s Condition Improves

Tuesday, March 22nd, 2016

Tzvika Cohen, the guard who was attacked in a Maaleh Adumim mall on February 26, 2016, by an Arab terrorist who worked in the mall, continues to be treated at Hadassah hospital, according to a TPS report.

The hospital reports that Cohen is now listed in moderate condition and is stable.

The terrorist repeatedly attacked Cohen over and over, slashing and stabbing him with a hatchet.

Cohen is in the neurology unit, he is conscious, and will soon begin rehabilitation therapy.

Jewish Press News Briefs

Israel Okays Incoming Flights from Europe

Tuesday, March 22nd, 2016

Israel unlocked its temporary ban on incoming flights from Europe at about 12 noon on Tuesday following a massive terror attack at the departure hall of Zaventem Airport in Brussels a few hours earlier.

However, it is not clear whether the incoming flights will be allowed by the local airports to depart, depending on the various security restrictions currently in place. In addition, there may be restrictions on which air space may be used in flights out of Europe due to the security situation.

Israel had issued a temporary ban on all incoming flights from Europe in the wake of a massive explosion shortly after 8 am near the American Airlines desk at the departure hall of Belgium’s Zaventem Airport in Brussels.

The ban had been scheduled for 10:30 am until midnight (Tues. Mar. 22), at least until the security situation was clear.

Outgoing flights from Israel to Europe were not affected by the security measure.

The Israel Aviation Authority (IAA) opened a situation room at Ben Gurion International Airport to manage the ongoing crisis and help keep airline passengers updated.

Passengers were asked to have patience with the extra security measures and to check the schedule board at the airport for updates.

Three flights were set to arrive in Israel today from Brussels. According to the IAA, a total of 24 flights were affected by the ban.

Hana Levi Julian

15 Dead as 3 Explosions in Brussels Metro Lead to System-wide Shut Down

Tuesday, March 22nd, 2016

Belgium has raised its national threat alert to Level 4, the highest possible, after three explosions shut down the Brussels metro following a massive attack on the city’s international airport. 15 people were killed in the train attack and another 55 were wounded.

The Brussels Metro rail system was struck Tuesday morning in a carefully time, coordinated attack with blasts that were detonated within minutes of each other at separate locations.

The attacks came about a half hour after a suicide bombing at the departure hall of Zaventem Airport in the Belgian capital which killed at least 11 people and wounded 35.

The first two explosions in the city are believed to have taken place on a train between the Maalbeek/Maelbeek and Schuman stations stations, near the headquarters of the European Commission.

The blasts were heard at Maalbeek metro station at around 8:30 am, according to RTBF, about 400 meters from the Berlaymont building – home to the headquarters of the European Commission.

A witness said the explosion appeared to come from the front of the train. “The lights went off, there was panic given what happened at Brussels airport.

“The doors of the train were forced open to get off the train. There was a lot of smoke. We left via Maelbeek station. The glass doors were blown out. The explosion must have been violent.”

No trains are currently running to or from Brussels Midi, according to the Eurostar company.

“Brussels customers are advised to postpone, and not come to station,” the firm tweeted. “Our thoughts rest with anyone affected by the unfolding events in Brussels – we are closely monitoring and will update,” a Eurostar spokesperson said in a statement.

Both France and Britain have raised their national alert levels.

Security was increased at London Gatwick and Heathrow Airport following the attacks, and at the Paris Charles de Gaulles airport as well. UK Prime Minister David Cameron is set to chair a meeting of the government’s emergency Cobra committee Tuesday evening in response to the explosions in Brussels.

Hana Levi Julian

Angry Turkish Neighbors Block Burial of ISIS Terrorist From Local Cemetery

Tuesday, March 22nd, 2016

Angry neighbors refused to allow the family of ISIS terrorist Mehmet Öztürk, 24, to bury the body of their son in the cemetery of their home village of Gaziantep on Monday.

The family had filed a missing person’s report with police when Öztürk disappeared last week. Their son did not have a criminal record – one reason he had not been sought by police — but was known by intelligence to have ties with Da’esh (ISIS).

At 11 am on Saturday morning he made headlines as an ISIS suicide bomber, attacking a group of Israelis on a culinary tour near Istanbul’s iconic Taksim Square on the pedestrian boulevard of Istiklal Street lined with foreign consulates, restaurants and cafes.

The disgrace was enough for his family’s neighbors to block his burial from their cemetery.

“Their neighbors didn’t let his parents to bury the attacker in the village,” a source in Istanbul told JewishPress.com, “so they had to bury him far away.

“No one came to his funeral.”

Hana Levi Julian

Prime Paris Attack Mastermind Abdeslam Salah is Caught

Sunday, March 20th, 2016

Prime ISIS Paris terror mastermind Salah Abdeslam, arrested in Brussels last Friday, was charged on Saturday with terrorism offenses in connection with the attacks on November 13.

Abdelslam has been connected with the attack as a key member of the ISIS terror organization that attacked the French capital in a multi-site operation whose ripple effect still reaches out.

Abdeslam told police during questioning he was supposed to blow himself up – as did others – at the Stade de France.

But at the last minute, he told interrogators he had second thoughts and backed out.

The French national, born to Moroccan parents in Belgium, once ran a bar with his brother Brahim in Molenbeek, who also helped in the attacks. But it was Abdeslam who rented the cars involved in the attacks and booked the hotel rooms used by the operatives.

French prosecutor Francois Molins said at a news conference in Paris on Saturday the would-be bomber’s claims raise further questions about the scope of the operation.

Suicide bombers blew themselves near the national stadium, operatives opened fire on bars and restaurants, and terrorists were firing Kalashnikov assault rifles into a rock concert at the Bataclan concert hall that night.

He was shot and injured in a raid by anti-terrorism police in the Molenbeek area of Brussels last year, where he grew up. But Abdeslam still managed to stay hidden, according to the British Guardian newspaper.

Three suspects were arrested altogether, but Abdeslam would be extradited to France. The probe is wide and ongoing because the network is “very large in Belgium, France and other European countries,” French President Francois Hollande told reporters on Friday.

“We know there are links which always lead us to Syria, where the Da’esh (ISIS) extremists planned these attacks.”

Hana Levi Julian

Israeli FM Director Dore Gold Travels to Turkey in Aftermath of Bombing

Sunday, March 20th, 2016

Senior Foreign Ministry official Dore Gold has cut short his visit to the United States and is traveling to Turkey following the terror attack that killed three Israelis on Saturday morning in Istanbul.

Three Israelis and an Iranian were killed along with the terrorist; 39 people were wounded, including 11 Israelis.

Gold was in the U.S. to attend the American Israel Public Affairs Committee (AIPAC) conference.

Instead, he will visit wounded Israeli citizens who are hospitalized in Istanbul, and then meet with Turkish officials, according to Turkish media.

Numerous foreign consulates are located along Istiklal Street and around the immediate area where the attack took place.

This past Wednesday Germany closed its consulate and school in Istanbul due to credible security threats, according to the Turkish Daily Sabah newspaper.

The U.S. State Department condemned the attack in a statement released by spokesperson John Kirby.

“The United States strongly condemns the terrorist attack today on Istanbul’s Istiklal Avenue. We extend our deepest condolences to the families of those killed and our hopes for a quick recovery for those wounded,” the statement read.

“We will remain in close touch with Turkish authorities during the investigation. The United States stands in solidarity with our NATO Ally Turkey in combating the common threat of terrorism.

“This vicious attack is the latest in a series of indefensible violence targeting innocent people throughout Turkey – Turkish citizens and international visitors alike. These acts of terrorism only reinforce our determination to support all those across the region working to promote peace and reconciliation,” the statement said.

NATO Secretary-General Jens Stoltenberg also condemned the attack in a written statement saying there can be no justification for terrorism. He said, “NATO allies stand united with Turkey, determined to fight against terrorism.”

French Foreign Minister Jean-Marc Ayrault also condemned the attack.

“I strongly condemn this despicable and cowardly act that has caused the death of several people,” Ayrault said in a statement, adding Paris stands in solidarity with Turkey.

Turkey’s ruling Justice and Development Party (AKP) meanwhile has launched disciplinary proceedings against its media director and women’s bureau chief Irem Aktas, who tweeted on Saturday after the Istanbul suicide bombing, “Let the wounded Israeli citizens be worse, I wish they all died.”

Hatice Yücel, who heads Istanbul’s Eyüp district women’s branch, tweeted that the comments of party member Irem Aktas did not reflect AKP’s viewpoint. The tweet was deleted and Aktas’ social media accounts were shut down. The disciplinary proceedings against Aktas could result in her dismissal from the party, Yücel added.

Hana Levi Julian

Printed from: http://www.jewishpress.com/news/breaking-news/israeli-fm-director-dore-gold-travels-to-turkey-in-aftermath-of-bombing/2016/03/20/

Scan this QR code to visit this page online: