web analytics
January 23, 2017 / 25 Tevet, 5777

Posts Tagged ‘suspect’

Terrorist Attack Foiled By Border Guard Police Near Hebron

Monday, January 9th, 2017

Israeli Border Guard Police officers foiled a terrorist attack Monday night after spotting a suspicious vehicle traveling along Route 35 near Hebron.

The forces stopped the car — a white Suzuki mini-truck — a few minutes later, and carried out a search of the vehicle and its driver, an unidentified Arab man from the Palestinian Authority.

Suzuki mini-truck stopped by Border Guard Police

Suzuki mini-truck stopped by Border Guard Police

During their search of the vehicle, Israeli forces turned up a hatchet, various weapons parts, a rifle and ammunition.

Hatchet

Hatchet

The license plates on the vehicle were taken from a stolen Fiat as well.

A body search of the suspect revealed he carried a lethal commando knife — but he refused to explain why he was carrying such a weapon. In fact, the suspect was carrying no identity papers, refused to cooperate with the forces and would not answer any questions.

Commando knife

Commando knife

He was transferred to security personnel for further questioning in order to determine his identity and motives for carrying such weaponry.

Hana Levi Julian

Haifa Terror Suspect Surrenders to Police

Thursday, January 5th, 2017

A man suspected of carrying out a terrorist attack this week in Haifa surrendered himself to police on Thursday night.

The dramatic development took place near the Bridge of the Heroes in the Hadar neighborhood of the city.

Due to a gag order on the investigation, few other details are available at this time.

Earlier in the day, friends and family accompanied murder victim Guy Kafri, 48, as his body was laid to rest at a nearby cemetery in Moshav Ofer.

Kafri was one of two people who were shot in Haifa on Tuesday in an attack that went largely unreported for two days due to a gag order that was issued in order to allow investigators time to determine whether or not the shooting was a terrorist attack.

The second victim, a rabbi who is a member of the Haifa conversion court, is reported to be in serious but stable condition.

This is a developing story.

Hana Levi Julian

Suspect In Manhattan Bombing ‘Radicalized’ By Trips To Mideast

Wednesday, September 21st, 2016

Following a shootout with police, Ahmad Khan Rahami, a naturalized American of Afghani descent, was arrested Monday in Linden, New Jersey, in connection with a series of bombings in New York and New Jersey last weekend.

As of late Tuesday he’d been charged with five counts of attempted murder of a law enforcement officer. Two officers were wounded in the gunfight that ended with his arrest.

People who know him said Rahami, 28, had made several lengthy visits to Afghanistan and Pakistan and that the trips seemed to have radicalized him.

As of Tuesday, Rahami was the lone suspect in an explosion caused by a homemade pressure cooker in Manhattan’s Chelsea neighborhood on Saturday night that injured 29 people. He was also believed to be connected to another unexploded pressure cooker bomb found nearby in Manhattan as well as a pipe bomb that exploded in a garbage bin in Seaside Heights, New Jersey, on Saturday that appeared to target a charity race for members of the U.S. Marine Corps.

On Sunday night, authorities found five pipe bombs near a train station in Elizabeth, New Jersey, that they believe are connected Rahami, who lived a short distance away where he worked in his family’s fried chicken eatery.

According to the Associated Press, the FBI looked into Rahami two years ago after his father called with concerns that his son might be a terrorist, a law enforcement official said Tuesday. But the father retracted the claim and told investigators he meant his son was hanging out with the wrong crowd.

The FBI checked its databases and found nothing connecting Rahami to terror groups, the official said.

The father had contacted the FBI after Rahami was charged with stabbing his brother, according to the official, who was not authorized to discuss the investigation and spoke to The Associated Press on condition of anonymity.

Reaction from elected officials varied in the aftermath of the Manhattan bombing.

New York Governor Andrew Cuomo hinted the attacks appeared to have been terror operations directed by foreign elements.

President Obama released a statement to the American people in which he addressed the bombings but did not use the word “terrorism.”

The two major party presidential candidates addressed the attack as well. Republican nominee Donald Trump warned that the bombings were a sign of the current administration’s weakness against terror. “We’re weak. Under Obama and Clinton’s watch America has suffered more attacks at home than it has achieved triumphs overseas. We need to change that.”

Democratic nominee Hillary Clinton declared that “this is a real threat, but we won’t be cowed by it.” In a press conference in New York, she added that “we will protect our country and we will defeat terror.”

Following the announcement Monday morning that Rahami was a suspect, New York City Mayor Bill de Blasio, who had pointedly avoided calling the attacks terrorism, said the investigation was “definitely leading” in the direction of terrorism.

Meanwhile, in another incident on Saturday, a man who made reference to Allah and asked at least one person if he were a Muslim, stabbed and wounded nine people inside a Minnesota mall. On Sunday, Islamic State claimed responsibility for the attack. Authorities are still investigating the incident.

Addressing the weekend attacks, Rep. Peter King (R-N.Y.) said it’s important to avoid political correctness

“To me, it’s why the NSA is important. It’s why surveillance of communities where these threats could coming from is important, why we can’t allow overconcern about civil liberties to get in the way of solid law enforcement,” King told CBS’s “Face the Nation.”

“Let’s not let political correctness stop the police and the FBI from doing the investigations that they have to do. I have used the example many times, when you’re going after the Mafia, you go to the Italian community, Irish communities when you are looking for the Westies. And right now, if the threat is from Islamist terrorism, we go to Muslim communities. You don’t look for the Ku Klux Klan in Harlem.”

King said it may take several days to learn definitively whether there is a homegrown or international terrorist link to the bombings in Manhattan and New Jersey.

He said regardless of the motivation, Americans have to realize that “we are always vulnerable to these type of attacks.”

 

(JNS, INN, CNS, Jewish Press staff)

Combined News Services

Border Guard Arrest Suspect Armed with Knife at Shuafat Check Post

Sunday, August 28th, 2016

A suspect, 18, who arrived at the Shuafat refugee camp check post on his way to enter eastern Jerusalem was arrested after a search through his bag revealed a knife that had been wrapped in order to conceal it. Border Guard police who were alerted neutralized the suspect, took his knife and arrested him for interrogation.

The Shuafat refugee camp was established by king Hussein of Jordan in 1965 to house Arabs whose families had come from Jerusalem, Lydda, Jaffa and Ramleh areas, after the Mascar refugee camp in the Jewish quarter of the Old City had been closed. Coming into Jerusalem from the Shufat refugee camp the terrorist could find targets for stabbing in the nearby Jewish neighborhoods of Pisgat Ze’ev, French Hill, and Ramat Shlomo.

David Israel

Armed Arab Suspect Arrested at Checkpoint

Saturday, July 30th, 2016

An Arab from the Palestinian Authority was arrested at a Shomron checkpoint on Saturday evening.

The PA man was driving a car with Israeli license plates.

The suspect had 2 knives, two hatchets, and 9mm bullets in the car.

Jewish Press News Briefs

Prosecution Quietly Closes Duma Arson Suspect Case for Lack of Evidence

Sunday, June 19th, 2016

The prosecution last week informed attorney Adi Keidar of the Honenu legal aid society that the investigation of Kokhav HaShahar youth coordinator Natanel Forkowitz, who was arrested on suspicion of involvement in the Duma village arson murder, is being closed for lack of evidence. The announcement came six months after Forkowitz had been picked up by the Shabak secret police without any stated charges. He was then interrogated for 12 days without being allowed to see his lawyer.

According to Keidar, the admission of his client’s innocence was not initiated by the prosecution, but came in response to Keidar’s own inquiry regarding the status of Forkowitz’s case. Only then did Attorney Rachel Avishar Abeles from the Central District Prosecutor’s Office admit that the case had been closed.

Forkowitz, who was awarded the president’s badge of excellence during his military service, a family man with no criminal record, was guilty only of working as youth coordinator in Kokhav HaShahar, in the government run Hebrew Shepherd program to engage socially unaffiliated youth, a.k.a. hill youth. Forkowitz was picked up during his IDF reserves service.

The Shabak’s entire case against Forkowitz rested on the fact that he sold a vehicle to a youth hill from the Shilo block who was a suspect in the arson case. The interrogators insisted that Forkowitz had known of his vehicle’s involvement in the arson, and his own military record and his history of firm opposition to the “price tag” actions did not save him from the courts who kept extending his detention, relying on “secret information” his lawyers were not allowed to see.

In the end, there was no connection between the suspect in the Duma case and a vehicle, and the youth who had purchased it from Forkowitz was let go after 21-days’ detention that included abusive interrogation.

Attorney Keidar said in a statement that “this incident should disturb the sleep of all the citizens in this country, especially the residents of Judea and Samaria (Kokhav HaShahar is in the Benjamin region), who can find themselves in the all-powerful hold [of Shabak], detained under harsh conditions for no reason, all of it in order to serve the aims of Shabak interrogators who clearly knew all along that [Forkowitz] had no connection to the incident. It is also saddening that the courts have acquiesced to this behavior and did not cut it off at the beginning.”

David Israel

Southern Israeli Bedouin Caught With Knife at Bus Station

Wednesday, May 18th, 2016

A Negev Bedouin in his 20s arrested Wednesday after attempted to enter the central bus station in Be’er Sheva with a knife.

The weapon was discovered during a routine search of the man’s bag.

The suspect threw the knife and tried to flee when security guards detained him for questioning.

Local police recovered the weapon. The man, a resident of the Bedouin town of Kuseife, is being held for further questioning.

Hana Levi Julian

Printed from: http://www.jewishpress.com/news/breaking-news/southern-israeli-bedouin-caught-with-knife-at-bus-station/2016/05/18/

Scan this QR code to visit this page online: