A student in the Judean Desert Yeshiva of Mitzpe Yericho died Friday after succumbing to burns from a caravan trailer fire.
Oded Hamdi, 19, was evacuated to Hadassah-Ein Kerem Hospital after a fire erupted in his trailer. The Yeshiva of Mitzpe Yericho uses caravans for dormitory purposes.
Hamdi had alerted two friends who were in the structure that a fire had erupted, who managed to escape from a window. When they saw that Hamdi had not escaped, they re-entered the building to rescue him, but he was already unconscious. They were treated for light burns and smoke inhalation.
Police are still investigating the source of the fire. Initial theories suggest an electric heater fell on a couch, causing the fire.
Hamdi’s funeral will be held at 1pm on Friday in his hometown of Netanya.
About the Author: Malkah Fleisher is a graduate of Cardozo Law School in New York City. She is an editor/staff writer at JewishPress.com and co-hosts a weekly Israeli FM radio show. Malkah lives with her husband and two children on the Mount of Olives in Jerusalem.
If you don't see your comment after publishing it, refresh the page.
Our comments section is intended for meaningful responses and debates in a civilized manner. We ask that you respect the fact that we are a religious Jewish website and avoid inappropriate language at all cost.
If you promote any foreign religions, gods or messiahs, lies about Israel, anti-Semitism, or advocate violence (except against terrorists), your permission to comment may be revoked.