web analytics
January 24, 2017 / 26 Tevet, 5777

Posts Tagged ‘Regavim’

Policeman Killed, Arab MK Injured in Clashes over Demolition of Illegal Construction

Wednesday, January 18th, 2017

Policeman Sergeant Major Erez Levi, 34, was killed by a Bedouin terrorist, and MK Ayman Odeh (Joint Arab List) sustained a light head injury in Wednesday morning clashes at the Umm al-Hiran is a Bedouin village in the Wadi Atir area of the Negev desert in southern Israel. The clashes resulted from efforts by the Israel Lands Administration to apply demolition orders and eviction notices against local residents. A large group of rioters threw rocks at police as they entered the village.

According to Internal Security Minister Gilad Erdan (Likud), as reported by News 0404, “A terrorist belonging to the Islamic movement sped at our forces aiming to kill as many police as he could even before the eviction had begun.”

The terrorist was shot dead.

“This was a difficult even for our forces and for the entire country,” Erdan said.

Rightwing NGO Regavim issued a statement saying, “The murder of a […] this morning during evacuations of illegal construction in the Negev was the result of incitement by extremist Islamic entities, Joint Arab List MKs, and extreme leftwing NGOs who daily incite against the rule of law in the Negev.”

“Those entities sat by the wheel of the terrorist murderer and brought about the bloody outcome,” Regavim accused.

Established in 1956, Bedouin village Umm al-Hiran is one of an estimated 46 unrecognized Bedouin villages in Israel (the exact number is unknown). The unrecognized villages were built without official permission and are therefore ineligible for connection to the electrical grid and water mains, or for trash-pickup, and they cannot elect municipal government representatives. They are scattered all over the northern Negev, often uncomfortably close to military fire zones, nature reserves, and landfills.

According to the Israel Land Administration, some 40% of the Negev Bedouin live “in illegal homes spread over hundreds of thousands of [acres].”

Minister Erdan expressed his hope “that today will not mark a turn for the worse in the Bedouin’s relationship with state authorities, although MK Odeh has contributed greatly to such a turn.” He added, “There’s a supreme Court ruling and it will be carried out, in Umm al-Hiran, too. Police have no influence on the decision-making regarding this assignment, which is how things are run in a democratic country.”

MK Ayman Odeh was wounded lightly in his head, and told reporters he was hit by rubber bullets, but a police spokeswoman denied the charge, saying Israel Police do not use rubber bullets at all. It appears that the MK was injured by a rock that was thrown by one of the rioters. According to the Joint Arab List, he was sprayed with tear gas by police. Odeh persisted in blaming the “thousand policemen” he said had converged on Umm al-Hiran Wednesday morning for the violent outcome, claiming the residents had been negotiating with the authorities their compliance with the court’s ruling when police suddenly showed up.

Odeh and Chairman of the Monitoring Committee of Israeli Arabs Mohammed Barakeh blamed Prime Minister Netanyahu for being the ultimate source of the recent police efforts to uproot illegal Arab construction. “He is setting fires because of his own troubles,” Odeh told Ha’aretz, referring to police investigation of corruption allegations against the PM.

David Israel

Dozens of ‘Death Herd’ Camels Confiscated, Caused Fatal Road Accidents [video]

Monday, January 16th, 2017

Dozens of camels belonging to the “death herd” were confiscated in a massive police roundup Sunday, the Regavim movement reported Monday. The camels used to wander along and across the highways in Israel’s south as well as in the firing zone of the IDF Tze’elim base, southwest of Be’er Sheva, and caused several lethal road accidents. Regavim issued a call to the authorities to not let this be a one-time operation.


The camels’ roundup was carried out by the Green Patrol, with police backup, after having been captured for the umpteenth time roaming aimlessly on the southern highways and the IDF firing zone. The herd that was confiscated on Sunday belongs to the Bedouin Al Assam family from Tel Sheva, east of Be’er Sheva. The family’s camels have been involved in at least two fatal road accidents in recent years, in which David Cohen from Moshav Retamim and Michal Ventura from Be’er Sheva were killed.

Regavim represents Cohen’s family in a lawsuit, and was involved in the “Camels Law” bill which was submitted to the Knesset. The movement reiterated that the Al Assam herd has been captured several times grazing illegally.

“The local authorities have known for many years that the herd owner behaves in a lawless and scandalous manner, getting caught time and again in firing zones and on traffic arteries, and nothing was done that was sufficiently deterrent,” said Amichai Yogev, southern district manager for Regavim.

“The confiscation operation was an important and welcome step,” Yogev added, “but for the accident victims and their families it was too late. We hope that it was not a one-time event but rather the beginning of a move to solve this serious problem, which puts so many lives at risk.”

JNi.Media

Israel: Access Road to New Arab City in Samaria Illegal

Saturday, January 14th, 2017

The Netanyahu government last week informed the Supreme Court it would be unable to permit the access route to the new Arab city of Rawabi in Samaria because it cuts through private plots in Area C (under full Israeli control), according to hearing of the rightwing NGO Regavim’s petition against the IDF Civil Administration, the Defense Ministry and the Rawabi corporation.

Rawabi (“The Hills”), located near Birzeit and Ramallah, is the first planned city built for and by Arabs in the PA, which is hailed as the “flagship” of a future Palestinian State. Construction began in January 2010, and by 2014 650 apartments were made available, for an estimated 3,000 residents On March 1, 2015, developer Bashar al-Masri announced that Israel would connect the city up to the Israeli-run water grid, making it possible for residents to move in.

Two years ago, Regavim appealed to the Supreme Court against the Civil Administration, the Ministry of Defense and the Rawabi company, concerning the Rawabi company’s land improvements and the construction and paving of a road in one of the city’s neighborhoods. The works were carried out in “Zligat,” an Arab city under Israeli control in the direction of the nearby Jewish community of Ateret.

According to Regavim, and the state, the access highway to the city of Rawabi was partly built on private land, without the owners’ consent. Following the discussion, the Court gave Rawabi six months to prove ownership of the land. The Rawabi company promised the court that the construction work would not be renewed until the approval of the company’s programs.

The State told the court that the Rawabi company has yet to complete the planning aspects of the road, and began to building it before obtaining a legal permit: “The documents submitted by [the Rawabi company] were examined by the Planning Bureau. The examination showed that the title is not sufficient to fulfill the requirements in this respect. Among other things, in view of the fact that some of the road is on regulated land [without] the owner’s consent in relation to the specific area.” The state also stated that “documents provided do not solve the problem proprietary.”

The Supreme Court will hear the case again in about ten days, and the state is on the record as suggesting the only ways for the Rawabi company to be able to complete the road would be to purchase the plots in question from the Arab owners or to get the IDF Civil Administration to expropriate the plots.

However, if the court now approves of the Civil Administration expropriating lands in Area C to serve an Arab settlement, it might find it difficult in the future to halt similar impounding that would favor Jewish settlements.

JNi.Media

Regavim: Is J Street Pro Israel?

Tuesday, January 3rd, 2017

Regavim, a Zionist organization, just came out with a video about J-Street, in response to attacks by J Street against Regavim and other pro-Israel NGOs.

They ask, “Is J Street “pro-Israel?” – Watch the video and judge for yourself.

Video of the Day

Gush Etzion Residents Boycott Arab Destroyer of Netiv Ha’avot

Tuesday, December 27th, 2016

The Regavim Association this week revealed that one Ali Mohamed Issa Moussa, the main Arab petitioner to the Supreme Court in the case of the neighborhood of Netiv Ha’avot in Gush Etzion, where 17 Jewish owned structures were slated for demolition, is co-owner of an illegal garage north of the Gush, whose clientele are mostly Jews.

So, to reiterate: a claimant suing to demolish 17 Jewish homes, presenting not one shred of evidence – because the Supreme Court does not vet evidence – is operating an illegal garage against which there is a standing demolition order.

As soon as the news came out, according to a press release issued by residents of Gush Etzion, local Jews have begun to organize a boycott of Issa Moussa’s garage.

Regavim official Oved Arad explained that “the garage was built without a construction permit and without a business permit as well, but the IDF Civil Administration has yet to take care of this case.”

In fact, according to Arad, “the state filed repeated requests for an extension on the demolition to the Supreme Court, and has yet to bother to respond to the garage owner’s petition – so that the court issued an interim order preventing the enforcement of the law and the demolition of the structure. In a sense, this is how we reward a criminal.”

Moshe Seville, Deputy Head of the Gush Etzion Regional Council, said this is an unusual and aberrant absurdity. This is a Palestinian who has waged war against the residents of Netiv Ha’avot, claiming it is illegal, and at the same time enjoys a garage that was built illegally.”

The Netiv HaAvot neighborhood of Elazar, situated 500 yards beyond the Elazar community’s jurisdiction, and adjacent to Alon Shvut, was built in 2001 on land which was later claimed–with the urging and support of Peace Now–by the Mussa family of al-Khader, near Bethlehem. An Israeli government official, Assistant to the Defense Minister, Brig. Gen. Baruch Spiegel, stated that the neighborhood was built on privately owned Arab land and on “survey land,” whose ownership was still subject to determination. The neighborhood was then included in the 2005

Netiv HaAvot subsequently figured among 105 “illegal outposts” listed in the virulently anti-Jewish settlements Sasson Report submitted to the Ariel Sharon cabinet in 2005. The report also noted that Ariel Sharon himself, as Minister of Housing and Construction, had a role in spending $80 thousand to develop the neighborhood. This last part could mean that Netiv HaAvot could be spared demolition, depending on the final text of the Regulation Act being hammered these days in the Knesset.

JNi.Media

In Wake of Amona, Netanyahu Orders Demolition of Illegal Arab Construction

Friday, December 16th, 2016

In advance of the anticipated evacuation and demolition of Amona by order of the Supreme Court, Prime Minister Netanyahu decided to speed up the demolition of illegal construction in the Arab sector, Army Radio reported Thursday night.

Over the past two weeks, the PM has held two discussions on enforcing the law in cases of illegal Arab construction, with Public Security Minister Gilad Erdan (Likud), Police Chief Ronnie Alshich, and other law enforcement officials.

“There will be no double standards regarding construction,” Netanyahu stated during these discussions. “In Israel there will be an equal enforcement of the law for Jews and Arabs.”

According to the NGO Regavim (The National Land Protection Trust), dedicated to tracking illegal constructions in the Arab sector, more than 50,000 illegal structures have been built in northern Israel, 10,000 of them in Wadi Ara, a near-exclusively Arab area through which runs the highway connecting Israel’s coast with Afula, Tiberias and Tsfat.

Regavim, which estimates the annual illegal construction in the Arab sector at 3,000, petitioned the High Court of Justice against the Haifa municipality’s District Planning and Building Committee, for failure to carry out a demolition order, but the court declined to take up the petition.

David Israel

Coalition MKs Propose Removing Diplomatic Immunity to Combat Illegal Construction

Thursday, November 3rd, 2016

By Ilana Messika/TPS

MK Oded Forer (Yisrael Beitenu) tabled on Wednesday a bill that would allow European diplomats to be sued for supporting illegal Palestinian Authority construction in Area C.

The proposal would remove foreign diplomats’ immunity from prosecution if they undertake actions designed to assist in terrorism against Israel, human trafficking or illegal construction.

“Immunity granted to foreign countries, however important, cannot be used to legitimize activities which will as a consequence harm the State of Israel or its citizens,” stated Forer.

Forer added that should the bill be approved, it will make easier for the Israel to defend itself against such practices holding the EU criminally accountable for its diplomats’ activities.

Along with Forer, the bill was sponsored by 11 MKs from the Likud, Jewish Home and Yisrael Beitenu parties, along with Zionist Union MK Eitan Broshi.

The bill comes on the heels of protests by residents of Ma’ale Adumim, right-wing activists and politicians and in particular the Regavim organization against illegal construction in the E1 Area, the northeastern slope connecting Jerusalem to the Jordan Valley, especially the area around Ma’ale Adumim.

Last May, Regavim released a report accusing the EU of having turned from humanitarian aid and diplomatic assistance to active political intervention by supporting Palestinian Authority illegal construction. The group says the construction is an indirect move to create a Palestinian state on the disputed territory.

Regavim had initially filed a petition to the Israeli High Court of Justice in June in order to remove the EU’s diplomatic immunity over those violations, but the petition was rejected.

Also Wednesday, EU Representative Ralph Tarraf and Palestinian Authority Minister of Local Government Hussein al-Araj announced the inauguration of the first batch of EU-funded social infrastructure projects in Area C.

”The EU works with the Palestinian Authority to develop Area C and support the Palestinian presence there,” stated Tarraf.

“The EU supports projects promoting economic development and improving the quality of life of Palestinian communities in Area C in the areas of private sector development, the environment and agriculture. Area C is part of the occupied Palestinian territory and will be part of any viable future Palestinian state,” he concluded.

TPS / Tazpit News Agency

Printed from: http://www.jewishpress.com/news/breaking-news/coalition-mks-propose-removing-diplomatic-immunity-to-combat-illegal-construction/2016/11/03/

Scan this QR code to visit this page online: