web analytics
November 30, 2015 / 18 Kislev, 5776
At a Glance

Posts Tagged ‘hilltop youth’

Is Duma Village the Most Flammable in Palestine?

Monday, August 24th, 2015

(JNi.media) Palestinian Authority media reported that late Sunday night a fire broke out in a house belonging to a member of the Dawabsha family in the village of Duma, not far from Ramallah. According to early reports, some family members were injured in the fire, but later reports said there were no injuries. Also, early Arab reports blamed the fire on Jewish settlers, but after a while the head of the Duma village council, Abdul Salam Dawabsha, announced the fire started due to a malfunctioning electric system.

However, local residents told NRG that they found a Molotov cocktail inside the burnt Dawabsha house, and suggested the house—located at the center of the village, just like the other two Dawabsha burnt houses were—had been set on fire as the result of an internal conflict. The same locals noted that, contrary to the previous fire, this house was left without Hebrew graffiti smeared on the walls.

In another interesting development, 0404.co.il reports that a third Dawabsha house in Duma had a fire in February of this year, and a Dawabshe family car was also burnt in June.

This raises the question, posed so far only by “extremist” Jews, as to whether the previous arson, where a baby and later his father—of the same Dawabsha clan—were killed, may also have been the result of internal fighting.

So far, the only evidence separating the incidents is the fact that someone was inspired to write graffiti in Hebrew on the walls of one of the burnt houses. To date, Israel’s internal security force has been unable to establish any connection at all between the Duma village arson and Jewish suspects, other than the fact that there exists a segment of the settler community in Judea and Samaria who dislike Arabs.

In fact, the same internal security force which had no problem locating within one week a 9-member Arab cell that was sworn to throwing Molotov cocktails at Jews to avenge the Duma arson—has had to resort to picking 16 Jewish settlers for different levels of administrative detention this past weekend, as an admission of its failure to bring credible charges against them in court.

According to reports, the latest burnt house belongs to Manor Rashid Dawabsha, brother of Mamun Dawabsha, whose empty house was set on fire three weeks ago along with the home of the late Sa’ad Dawabsha, who perished with his baby. Ghassan Douglas, who holds the Settlers portfolio in the Palestinian Authority, told WAFA that the house was burnt last night as the result of arson, and that a family member was injured from smoke inhalation.

Douglas told WAFA it was important not to rush into blaming Jewish settlers for last night’s arson, because, should it turn out to have been the result of village in-fighting, the Israelis would claim that the same was true about the previous case of arson.

State Issues Administrative Detention, Expulsion from Judea and Samaria Orders Against Jewish Activists

Sunday, August 23rd, 2015

(JNi.media) During the night and early Sunday morning, police and the Shin Bet have issued a large number of administrative distancing orders against young Jews, both adults and minors, expelling them from Judea and Samaria, and in some cases Jerusalem, and even from contacting their friends, on the ground that they endanger public safety and are the source of potential disturbances.

A Shin Bet official stated that “given the recent terrorist attacks [by Jews], including some that caused the loss of life, the General Security Service in recent days recommended issuing restraining [distancing] orders against 10 activists.”

But, according to settlers, as many as 16 administrative expulsion decrees have been issued against Jewish right-wing activists, over the past two weeks, as well as three administrative detentions, and the wave of warrants is not yet over.

“The system is under unprecedented pressure and is using illegal means against the residents who are engaged in settling the land,” the Honenu legal aid society said in a statement. “We are witnessing a dramatic rise in the volume and severity of administrative orders, which seriously violates the rights of the recipients of these orders.”

On Saturday night, two young men, one of Ramat Hasharon, the other of Ma’ale Adumim, received administrative detention orders, which included a ban from Judea and Samaria and the prohibition of contacting some of their friends.

During the night, police raided the Od Yosef Chai Yeshiva and the Givat Kumi Uri neighborhood in the Yitzhar outpost, and handed out administrative nighttime house arrest orders to two boys from the towns of Bat Ayin and Alon Shvut, for a period of six months. In addition, the two have been forbidden to stay in Judea and Samaria anywhere but inside their parents’ homes, while one of them has also been banned from Jerusalem. Both boys were forbidden to make contact with some of their friends.

On Sunday morning, police handed out administrative restraining orders to a resident of Ge’ulat Zion in the Shilo cluster—married with children, as well as two minors living in Yad Binyamin and Amona.

A young resident of Kiryat Arba on Sunday was handed a warrant prohibiting him from entering anywhere in Judea and Samaria outside his own home. The man, 21, told the website Kol Hazman that he intends to appeal the order through his attorney, Itamar Ben-Gvir, of the legal aid society Honenu.

Some legendary “Hilltop Youths” have told the same website that “the orders will not break us.”

Attorney Itamar Ben-Gvir said “the defense minister is conducting himself like an elephant in a china shop. With his actions, he sends the message to young people that there is no democracy, and, in effect, encouraging them to break the law, because there are no legal indictments and due process.”

Shin Bet Arrests Grandson of Meir Kahane for ‘Nationalist Crimes’

Tuesday, August 4th, 2015

Investigations by the Israel Security Agency (Shin Bet) have led to the arrest of 24-year-old Meir Ettinger, grandson of the late Rabbi Meir Kahane, on suspicion of nationalist crimes.

Sources said he was not specifically accused of involvement in last Friday morning’s firebombing of two homes in the Samarian village of Duma, where an 18-month-old baby died in the ensuing fire. The baby’s mother and a brother suffered serious burns.

Ettinger has been described as “the unofficial leader of the hilltop youth and has been barred from Judea and Samaria since January. Police arrested him in Safed (Tzfat).

His grandfather Rabbi Kahane, who was assassinated in 1990 in New York City, founded the nationalist Kach movement that the Israeli government eventually outlawed after Kahane was elected to the Knesset.

Ettinger allegedly was the mastermind who organized the arson of a church on the shores of the Sea of Galilee (Kinneret) in June and for which the Shin Bet has arrested five suspects.

It can easily be speculated that interrogations of the suspects exposed enough evidence for the Shin Bet to arrest Ettinger.

He is scheduled to appear in court this morning (Tuesday), where police will almost certainly ask that he remain in custody until the end of judicial procedures.

The government this week approved “administrative detention” for so-called Jewish terrorists, a move that makes it easier for the court to put Ettinger in jail for several months pending a trial.

Ettinger has denied that there is an underground movement in Israel but has written on his website that mosques and churches are places of “pagan worship” and that

He also wrote:

There is no terrorist organization, but there are lots and lots of Jews, much more than what they think, whose ladder of values is completely different from that of the High Court of Justice or the Shin Bet.

Ettinger wrote on Arutz Sheva in May:

The Nationalist Crimes Unit [of the Shin Bet] was created three years ago by Tzipi…to eradicate nationalist crimes, i.e. actions of what are known as Jewish ‘rebels’ who, for their part, feel that they are acting to prevent the further deterioration of the state of Israel.

The officials in this unit harass those they suspect and try to put as many as possible behind bars….

When a Jew’s blood is spilled in a terror attack, they go from yeshiva to yeshiva, town to town, to insure that there will be no response, other than an op-ed column by a family member…..

The fact is that the security services have been acting for a long time now as if the main enemy of the State of Israel is Jewish children who move to the hills of Judea and Samaria (‘Hilltop Youth’) and that helping these youngsters is akin to treason….

The Unit has declared us the enemy.

Showcase ‘Price Tag’ Indictments Turn Out to Be a Witch Hunt

Tuesday, November 19th, 2013

A Jerusalem court has thrown out “showcase” indictments against three supposed “price tag” vandals and has hung another black cloud over the police and the office of the Attorney General, all of whom appear to be on a witch hunt.

The latest black eye for government prosecutors was dealt by Jerusalem Court Judge Avital Chen, who ruled there was no basis for charges that three youth from Samaria were planning to carry out some sort of attack  on Arab property.

The rejection of the government case came only a short time after a three-judge Jerusalem court unanimously ruled against the government’s charges of breach of public trust against Foreign Minister Avigdor Lieberman, who has been hounded on various charges for more than a decade.

Many rightwing leaders have charged that dozens of police arrests of supposed price tag vandals are an attempt to blame innocent people for crimes that they say are being carried out by Israel Security Agency (Shin Bet) agents trying to make the nationalist movement look illegitimate.

Considering the increasing number and severity of price tag vandalism, the accusations against the Shin Bet sound like self-righteous paranoia.

On the other hand, leftwing activists have accused government prosecutors of purposely treating price tag vandals with soft gloves and failing to convict even one of them over the past three years. Given the proven cases of Arabs damaging their own olive orchards and then blaming Jews, it is not impossible to believe that the Palestinian Authority has ordered the “price tag” operations.

The indictments that were thrown out by the Jerusalem court are the first ones ever to be filed against supposed price tag vandals.

Three young Jewish boys were arrested in September 2011 while they were carrying tools, approximately 300 feet from a vehicle that was not theirs but in which police found bottles of gasoline. Police rejects the youth’s claims that they were using the tools for renovations on a nearby structure.

The police put one and one together and came up with what they thought was two. Government prosecutors at the office of the Attorney General also thought they had done their math and put together their first indictments that were supposed to show that they finally had the goods on price tag culprits.

The court also did its math and flunked the police and prosecutors.

Michael Ironi, a lawyer for the legal aid Honenu organization, said after the court decision, “It is a shame that the Attorney General’s office chose to conduct a trial against the defendants. From the beginning of the case the evidence seemed weak and circumstantial. The suffering caused to the defendants is also regrettable.”

Honenu attorney Rehavia Piltz, who assisted in handling the case, stated, “Even from the beginning it was obvious that much ado was being made out of nothing and now the court has confirmed. It is unfortunate that in the process leading to their exoneration the rights of innocent youths were severely injured over a long period of time.”

The chase after Lieberman and dozens of alleged price tag vandals, despite being unsuccessful, also has a price tag.

“For over two years our lives have been a nightmare,” said one of the youth who finally was exonerated.

“They kept us in remand under severe conditions and falsely accused us of serious crimes,” he added. “If we had not had a religious appearance and the police and the Attorney General’s office had not been so eager to achieve ‘accomplishments’ at the expense of tarnishing the reputation of an entire population, we would not have gone through such a difficult, tortuous legal battle over something we never did.”

Police arrested two of the youth shortly before the Rosh HaShanah holiday in 2011 and convinced the court to extend their remand on the eve of the holiday. The third youth was charged the day after the holiday.

The name of “hilltop youth” in Judea and Samaria  has been muddied with accusations that have never been backed up with indictments, until the “showcase” charges that proved to be unfounded.

Every time a nationalist looks the wrong way at the police or says a bad word about Peace Now, leftwing leaders and media scream “Rabin,”  continuing 18 years of slander against all national religious Jews, and particularly their rabbis, for the assassination of Yitzchak Rabin by Yigal Amir, who lived in metropolitan Tel Aviv and not in Judea and Samaria.

It is no secret that Shin Bet agents infiltrate into communities in Judea and Samaria to incite youth to break the law and then fall prey to being informers to save themselves from prosecution.

It is hard to believe the rightwing claims that Shin Bet agents have carried out all of the price tag attacks to undermine the nationalist movement.

But it also is hard to believe that police continue to harass youth, often with middle-of-the-night arrests, and prosecutors cannot come up with even one indictment that holds any water.

The only missing key in the puzzle is the failure of most national religious leaders to conduct a campaign in their communities and yeshivas to preach against violence and anti-Arab vandalism.

If Jews indeed are guilty of the vandalism and if the police and prosecutors cannot do a better job than they did after investing thousands of hours to nail Lieberman for nothing, something is rotten in the office of the Attorney General.

Activists Left Oz Etzion after the Shabbat Clashes

Saturday, December 29th, 2012

Dozens of right-wing activists who arrived on Friday to spend Shabbat the Oz Etzion outpost, near Beit El, started to leave Saturday night. A few minutes after the end of Shabbat, the activists took their equipment and continued to the nearby outpost of Givat Assaf. Their departure was conducted under the watch of security forces.

Yesterday the activists clashed with security forces and prevented the evacuation of the Oz Zion residents. Five Border Policemen were slightly injured in the clashes. In addition, the tires of two Border Police vehicles were punctured. The evacuation attempt was launched by dozens of security personnel, including army troops, police forces, the special police force and the Border Patrol.

Some 150 youths were gathered at the outpost for a Shabbat assembly run by Rabbi Dov Lior, one of the leaders of the Jewish Home party, in what had been declared a closed military area.

A few participants have told Ynet that they “were able to activate government ministers to prevent the evacuation because of the Shabbat.”

Security forces claimed the youths threw stones at the soldiers. But the youths, for their part, complained about violence perpetrated by the police, which is why they closed the gates of nearby Givat Assaf.

The youths also reported that soldiers who entered Givat Assaf fired tear gas and used stun grenades. They also reported that Rabbi Shmuel Eliyahu was slightly injured from tear gas. The security apparatus confirmed that riot control measures were being used. Israeli police is among the most violent and ruthless when it comes to “riot control measures” against right wing demonstrators.

At least one youth was arrested during the incident Friday. The Oz Zion outpost faced a number of evacuation attempts over the past year, but the residents have always returned shortly thereafter.

The political system wasted no time in launching its attack on Jewish Home and its leader, Naftali Bennett. “Bennett and extremist rabbis led people to that hill deliberately to create friction with the IDF and the state of disobeying orders,” Tzipi Livni of the Movement Headed by Tzipi Livni said in Kiryat Motzkin, where she was attending a public event.

Kadima Chairman Shaul Mofaz, whose party is expected to disappear in the coming election, responded sharply to the Oz Etzion incident, saying, “Anyone raising his hand against IDF soldiers and security forces it’s as if he raised his hand against the state of Israel, and should be imprisoned. We must treat such cases with a firm hand and not let go.”

Mofaz was Defense Minister during the Gush Katif expulsion of some 10,000 Jews from their homes in 2005.

Printed from: http://www.jewishpress.com/news/activists-left-oz-etzion-after-the-shabbat-clashes/2012/12/29/

Scan this QR code to visit this page online: